ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

Georgia is going to be hard to handle from here on out. You should be the defending National Champions going into the season but it got away.

Yep, couple calls didn't go our way and a kid made a mistake in coverage, was a tough one to take. Talent wise we are better this season, but we won't have the sr leaders on this team we had in 17. Nick Chubb,Sony Michel, Lorenzo Carter and jr Roquan Smith provided great leadership on and off the field for us and that is what we will have trouble replacing. All are great guys and represented the football program and university very well and will be missed. Nick wants to buy a farm and start growing vegtables with his NFL money when his career is over, now that's country.

Young and Jackson were big wins, highly ranked kids with options to big programs the OOS kids on the other hand maybe not so much. UK has upgraded talent under Stoops, he has beaten teams on the field who have recruited better than UK, so he is doing a good job of developing that talent, probably as good as anyone in the conference. But the real issue is UK signs 1 kid on Bowden's level and the big schools sign 15. For UK to consistently be mentioned as a contender for the East, it is going to have to start targeting top 10 kids in the big recruiting states and winning their share of those recruiting battles. UT and UF aren't going to stay down forever, UF just fired a coach who won had 10 win seasons and won the East his first 2 years but had a down 3rd year and almost everyone thinks they made a good hire in Mullen. Pruitt at UT was a great DC, how he works out as a head coach remains to be seen, but if he doesn't improve them he won't last long. UK has a nice streak going against Carolina and I am not sold on Muschamp, but he is upgrading their talent level. The window for moving up is starting to close, this year is Stoops best opportunity to make it to Atlanta. Nice steak agaisnt Carolina, UT and UF with new coaches, UGA replacing a large part of their defense, Vandy is Vandy and Missouri while being capable of lighting up the scoreboard, are also capable of giving up lots of points. Meanwhile UK returns 10 of 11 starters on D,most of their OL, an elite running game. All of that says UK wins alot of games this year and winning the East isn't a huge longshot.
I agree. I characterize the Stoops era this way. He has worked successfully with our school to lay the right foundation and infrastructure. The stadium has been renovated. Our practice facility is elite now. Recruiting scope has been expanded. Recruiting budget and staff budget have been increased, while Stoops has fostered cohesiveness. Hanging onto Vince Marrow was emblematic of this. Most of Stoops’ decisions have been successful. He was slow to recognize importance of having a dedicated special teams coordinator and quarterback coach, but he eventually recognized these needs. With all of these things generally going well, Stoops has created an environment that is attracting players and gradually improving the won-lost record. It’s a process. We don’t win every game, and we don’t sign every player we want. But the program is clean, the news is usually good, and things gradually get better. So here we are. As you correctly described, Stoops has now reached a sort of litmus test. With 17 starters and most of his depth coming back, this is the year he “should” break through, reach a better bowl game, and then win it. And, then, sign a breakout class. It’s that time.

Apparently you care, you responded.
LOL! It’s fairly normal for 1 poster to respond to another after being directly addressed. Let’s call this what it is. Lots of people make long posts here from time to time. You can see several others above. You arbitrarily picked out mine, and in so doing you diverted a recruiting thread. Let’s discuss recruiting.

Last edited:
I don't have a clue how many people post on this website. There must be 1,000s. Out of all those, maybe 25-30 really and truly keep themselves carefully informed and up to date about football recruiting. Many more than that post here to blow off steam, prosecute some preconceived agenda, or experience the thrill of fabricating online conflicts and talking big talk. Some aren't even UK fans. Anyone who has played football or been around organized football understands that becoming a successful football player involves talent, development, work ethic, heart, intelligence. But it's a please me right away kind of society now, and shortcuts appeal to people. So if they can read a player's star ratings and see him in the local news every Saturday, then they can be fooled into believing they know something about recruiting. They haven't actually seen the players play football in most cases, and they don't understand the difference in competitive level between playing football for Scott County HS versus playing for Cardinal Mooney. In some cases, they don't even come to Lexington to watch our team play football. But they have their posting account so they can complain all they want. All football coaches make mistakes. Fans don't have to be right, but coaches have nowhere to hide when they screw up. Matt Elam was an important recruiting chip for Stoops at the time he signed. Many here don't know this, but Stoops has actually beaten out Nick Saban for a lot of players. However, Elam was the 1st high profile player go pick UK over Alabama on Stoops' watch. For his own good, Elam should have been redshirted and developed as a right offensive tackle. That doesn't mean he would have been an All American, or even a full time starter, but it would have been his best path. We will never know, but there is a good chance Elam did not want to hear this. Elam isn't the only Wildcat who has come to UK because our coaches were willing to give him a chance to do it his way. In Elam's case, it didn't work out. And that's too bad. But Elam was beaten out by Naquez Pringle and Quinton Bohanna, in other words by a couple of lightly recruited overachieving players. If people criticize Stoops for Elam's underachievements, then they must also give Stoops credit for developing Pringle and Bohanna. There is no shortage of recruiting successes at UK. Bohanna, Josh Allen, Benny Snell, Bunchy Stallings, Logan Stenberg have been amazing overachievers. Calvin Taylor and Isaiah Epps are about to join them in that category. We also have our share of high profile signings. It's time for more of our fans to educate themselves and learn to appreciate the success story.
You make some good points,there are layers to recruiting that go beyond the individual player.Elam was more important because of what he represented than he was because of the player he turned out to be.Harris was the same.The two players turned out differently,and UK got the short end of the stick both ways.I don't think you can blame Stoops directly because as someone pointed out in another post the football situation is the opposite ot UK and Alabama basketball,maybe even more pronounced.

We need to sign the lion's share of what home grown talent there is to be had but if that talent is perceived to be elite we are going to battle elite programs.The latest example is the Bowles kid,he is from a 2 AA school and is a long shot to be SEC level but he may turn out to be very good.Where would you rather go,to a national championship contender or a school fighting to make a bowl game.

Stoops is better at identifying talent and getting it than Joker was,he is probably not as good as Brooks in the area of talent identification but he is better at landing higher rated players.

This season Stoops has a lot on the line ,6 wins are a must but he needs 7 or more to signal he is on the rise.We have enough players(particularly on defense) to line up and play,we should be in every game with a chance to win in the 4th quarter.We moved in that direction last year but fell short to some degree. We have 4 games that should be over by halftime,we have to get to the point that we control the games we should control.Struggling into the 4th quarter to beat a team we should put away in two quarters can't happen.Those are games where 2nd stringers get experience and you find 3rd stringers that can help when you need them.

Last edited:
I agree. I characterize the Stoops era this way. He has worked successfully with our school to lay the right foundation and infrastructure. The stadium has been renovated. Our practice facility is elite now. Recruiting scope has been expanded. Recruiting budget and staff budget have been increased, while Stoops has fostered cohesiveness. Hanging onto Vince Marrow was emblematic of this. Most of Stoops’ decisions have been successful. He was slow to recognize importance of having a dedicated special teams coordinator and quarterback coach, but he eventually recognized these needs. With all of these things generally going well, Stoops has created an environment that is attracting players and gradually improving the won-lost record. It’s a process. We don’t win every game, and we don’t sign every player we want. But the program is clean, the news is usually good, and things gradually get better. So here we are. As you correctly described, Stoops has now reached a sort of litmus test. With 17 starters and most of his depth coming back, this is the year he “should” break through, reach a better bowl game, and then win it. And, then, sign a breakout class. It’s that time.

Bowl games are always a crap shoot. Teams look at them differently. Some teams come into them looking to put an stamp on their season and some come into them looking at them as a weekend get away. It's crazy the way teams have to spend to be on par with recruiting. UGA's facilities were some of the worst in the conference 4 years ago, no usable indoor facility, small weight room, stadium dressing rooms were small, recruits had nowhere to lounge around. Last Jan we opened our new indoor faciilty, one of the nicer ones in the country now, this year one end of the stadium is being redone, new suits, new recruiting lounge for recruits and parents, new weight rooms,new dressing rooms at the stadium, all adding up to near 150m. When recruits come on officials each family is driven around in new black Tahoes. Richt didn't do things like that. He has also increased the size of our support staff, I am not sure how many we have now, but it rivals Bama's in numbers with several former college coaches on it and a couple of coordinators who help with game plans and film study./

I don't know how we will do this season, I expect a pretty good year, maybe not playoff good, but I don't think our defense takes as big a stop backwards as I was expecting, we are going to be very fast, but our next really good team won't be until 19. But 19 I expect the division to be a good bit tougher too,I think we will start pushing the West for best division in the SEC. I am think the East will have the best collection of coaches from top to bottom. After Saban even with the new hires the west has Saban and not much else. JImbo was about to be fired before Jamis showed up at FSU and after he left, A&M did FSU a favor, Gus is good for 4-5 losses and would have been fired this year if he hadn't beat UGA and Bama, now AU is stuck with a 7.5M contract for the next 7 years or so. He loses 3 in a row to UGA and Bama again, they will be looking to fire him again, their fans were after the bowl game this year.

Grumpy we are in a position that every time we line up we should be gunning for a win,regular season,bowl game or sandlot pick-up game.

Instate products Elam, Drake Jackson, Landon Young turned down Nick Saban's scholarship offers to sign with UK. But Tanner Bowles, Damien Harris, Jedrick Wills picked Alabama. So while Bowles' verbal is the most recent reminder of Saban's recruiting reach in Kentucky, Stoops has not done badly in the direct competition given what Saban has to offer. Other current Kentucky Wildcats known to have turned down Alabama scholarship offers include Kengera Daniel, Josh Paschal, Jordan Wright, Yusuf Corker. It is worth mentioning that Corker, Stanley Garner, Jordan Griffin turned down Clemson. So Stoops has been an effective recruiter against elite competition. Still, I thought we had a good shot to sign Bowles. So while the Bowles verbal is bad news, UK has more than 30 current scholarship offers out to offensive linemen. Contrary to what is sometimes said, most SEC football programs do not depend primarily on instate recruiting (although UGA does). Where a football player was born is far less important than where he is going.

Those with an agenda don’t want people to be reminded that Stoops has won recruiting battles with Saban and Meyer and Harbaugh. They want only to focus on those negatives that bait people into negative thinking. If UK surprises people on the field this year, Stoops could take his good recruiting to the next level. Placing UK players in the 2019 NFL draft will also send a big message. If you don’t like UK, there is a legit reason for concern. Nothing is more scary to other programs than a staff who can recruit showing wins on the field and developing 3 star players into NFL draft picks.

Agree. All college football programs have players that overachieve and underachieve. It would be wonderful if every UK football player became an all SEC player. That doesn’t happen anywhere. If our fans criticize Stoops over Elam, are they also willing to give Stoops credit for overachieving performances of 2 star recruits Bohanna, Carter, Allen, Watson? Will Stoops receive fair credit for signing Paschal, Wright, Griffin, Corker, Ajian? From my perspective, the next forward step for our defense needs to be development of a real SEC pass rush. Josh Allen isn’t enough, because any opponent can double up on 1 edge rusher. Paschal’s move to defensive end is an important part of this. Calvin Taylor’s emergence is important. Jordan Wright is another important piece. Until now, opposing SEC quarterbacks have basically stood in the pocket as long as necessary and taken their pick of the routes. If you give an SEC quarterback all day to throw, he will make any secondary look bad. But if we can develop a real pass rush, our secondary would suddenly look much better. And, also, if we limit what opposing offenses can gain through the air, then it becomes somewhat easier to predict how and when they will try to run the football against us.
Agree that Paschal's mover to DE will be huge for us. Not only gets more athleticism and pressure on the front line but opens up a spot for other athletic guys like Boogie Watson to get on the field. Kinda like when Pete Rose moved to third so George Foster could get in the lineup in left. Except Paschal will thrive at DE where Pete wasn't really made for third but got by.

Instate products Elam, Drake Jackson, Landon Young turned down Nick Saban's scholarship offers to sign with UK. But Tanner Bowles, Damien Harris, Jedrick Wills picked Alabama. So while Bowles' verbal is the most recent reminder of Saban's recruiting reach in Kentucky, Stoops has not done badly in the direct competition given what Saban has to offer. Other current Kentucky Wildcats known to have turned down Alabama scholarship offers include Kengera Daniel, Josh Paschal, Jordan Wright, Yusuf Corker. It is worth mentioning that Corker, Stanley Garner, Jordan Griffin turned down Clemson. So Stoops has been an effective recruiter against elite competition. Still, I thought we had a good shot to sign Bowles. So while the Bowles verbal is bad news, UK has more than 30 current scholarship offers out to offensive linemen. Contrary to what is sometimes said, most SEC football programs do not depend primarily on instate recruiting (although UGA does). Where a football player was born is far less important than where he is going.
Those with an agenda don’t want people to be reminded that Stoops has won recruiting battles with Saban and Meyer and Harbaugh. They want only to focus on those negatives that bait people into negative thinking. If UK surprises people on the field this year, Stoops could take his good recruiting to the next level. Placing UK players in the 2019 NFL draft will also send a big message. If you don’t like UK, there is a legit reason for concern. Nothing is more scary to other programs than a staff who can recruit showing wins on the field and developing 3 star players into NFL draft picks.
I think it tells you the condition of the sec east when the most tenured HC has a losing record and in 5 years has put zero HS recruits in the nfl with one recruit overall. Now that's scary!

Last edited:
I think it tells you the condition of the sec east when the most tenured HC has a losing record and in 5 years has put zero HS recruits in the nfl with one recruit overall. Now that's scary!

Your "No NFL recruits" is getting old and tired, it has been explained to you numerous times.

But I can understand that it is hard to find things to pick at Stoops about.

Agree that Paschal's mover to DE will be huge for us. Not only gets more athleticism and pressure on the front line but opens up a spot for other athletic guys like Boogie Watson to get on the field. Kinda like when Pete Rose moved to third so George Foster could get in the lineup in left. Except Paschal will thrive at DE where Pete wasn't really made for third but got by.

Replace Boogie's name with Jordan Wright and you'll be on a hot scent on that one. Boogie wasn't stuck behind Paschal but Jordan would've been.

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
Your "No NFL recruits" is getting old and tired, it has been explained to you numerous times.

But I can understand that it is hard to find things to pick at Stoops about.
Just for you , sir...like all your BS "facts" about MB ruining UK FOOTBALL and the salivating all over MS when yes there is plenty to pick about MS...Man is in way over his head just like you!!!

Reactions: thepip
Weird second point. UK has three commitments to date and each is a highly regarded recruit. The idea that an “elite” recruiting class must include “legit D1 guys” from Kentucky is an odd conclusion, IMO. We could land every “legit D1” recruit from Kentucky and not have an “elite” class (not sure what your definition would be - but some would argue there exists only one, maybe two elite players in the 2019 Kentucky class). Rather than look at the start of the class for encouragement projecting forward, you chose to accept the narrative that the best Kentucky kids will go elsewhere AND that means the class will not reach “elite” status. This is the sort of conversations we have in the off season. SMH
Most interesting to learn from JR’s post this morning that Vince Marrow has taken over instate recruiting. No details on overall changes in recruiting responsibilities, I’m sure Vince still will cover Ohio.

Most interesting to learn from JR’s post this morning that Vince Marrow has taken over instate recruiting. No details on overall changes in recruiting responsibilities, I’m sure Vince still will cover Ohio.

That is interesting. I had not heard.

Just for you , sir...like all your BS "facts" about MB ruining UK FOOTBALL and the salivating all over MS when yes there is plenty to pick about MS...Man is in way over his head just like you!!!

Funny how you (or anyone else) have NEVER disputed any of those "disputed" FACTS-----because you can't. The dismal "recruiting room" was in use for about 12 years under mitch, while NO money was available but he gets a ton of credit for the MILLIONS he spent on HIS minor sports. And that wasn't the worst part, just the most obvious, with the picture available to everyone-----the picture that oddly enough seems to have just disappeared.

I support our coach as long as he is our coach, the way you scan every article to find something to throw dirt on him is ridiculous. Just a couple of days ago I saw where one of the recruits we were after, think it was an in state one, said the most important thing to him was having the coaching staff he committed to there while he was playing, anyone else remember that? The FACT is that Stoops isn't going anywhere anytime soon, partly due to the ridiculous buyout (which should be outlawed) and taking pot shots him at EVERY opportunity isn't going to change that, just maybe it might be the straw that sends some recruit we want somewhere else.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Yep, couple calls didn't go our way and a kid made a mistake in coverage, was a tough one to take. Talent wise we are better this season, but we won't have the sr leaders on this team we had in 17. Nick Chubb,Sony Michel, Lorenzo Carter and jr Roquan Smith provided great leadership on and off the field for us and that is what we will have trouble replacing. All are great guys and represented the football program and university very well and will be missed. Nick wants to buy a farm and start growing vegtables with his NFL money when his career is over, now that's country.

What?

Are you trying to say that if a receiver isn't covered it isn't necessarily the head coaches fault?

Geez, you must have been a coach at one time or another. LOL

Last edited:
Yes, plenty for you and Blue Decade to discuss, JR hinted he got that information from instate recruits he phoned last night.

You may lead the discussion, if you think this deserves more than has already been posted.

Morrow taking over in-state recruiting.

I hope he can turn it around, certainly our best recruiter IMO and Kentucky offers some opportunities this year. Sounds like Stoops isn't as brain dead as some posters like to claim he is.

Last edited:
You may lead the discussion, if you think this deserves more than has already been posted.
I gave you all I know on the topic for now. I don’t know the instate NCAA travel rules, but perhaps Coach Stoops, Mitch, F Maggard, the new Recruiting Director, etc, could attend a few golf tourneys and other charities around the state, shake a few hands of fans and HS coaches, hug a few babies, give a few speeches, maybe promote ticket sales and recruiting a tad. I read a lot of that going on here in west Tn in the spring and summer by coaches from UT, Memphis, and Ole Miss, even Saban came up to give a highly attended local college fund raising speech a few years ago.
Maybe Grumpy could share types of events that Ga coaches attend.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
Morrow taking over in-state recruiting.

I hope he can turn it around, certainly our best recritier IMO and Kentucky offers some opportunities this year. Sounds like Stoops isn't as brain dead as some posters like to claim his is.
Happy to see acknowledgement of the problem and a plan to address it. I’m not expecting young men who already have committed elsewhere to magically flip to UK but hopefully this will stop the bleeding so to speak.

True we lost Harris, Wills, and Bowles to Alabama, but we got Ware, Stenburg, and a pretty good kicker, McGinnis from Alabama..... I guess that road runs both ways.

Reactions: jauk11
I am not sure if I get this post. Stoops first full class was 2014. Quite of few guys from that draft have a good shot to be drafted. After this year we will have at the minimum 3 guys drafted in Edwards Conrad and Allen. I would say 6 or 7 other guys have great shots. Snell a guarantee if he leaves early.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I gave you all I know on the topic for now. I don’t know the instate NCAA travel rules, but perhaps Coach Stoops, Mitch, F Maggard, the new Recruiting Director, etc, could attend a few golf tourneys and other charities around the state, shake a few hands of fans and HS coaches, hug a few babies, give a few speeches, maybe promote ticket sales and recruiting a tad. I read a lot of that going on here in west Tn in the spring and summer by coaches from UT, Memphis, and Ole Miss, even Saban came up to give a highly attended local college fund raising speech a few years ago.
Maybe Grumpy could share types of events that Ga coaches attend.

Here are some, Kirby is a native Georgian, his dad was a well liked HS coach in the state so he has a good many connections built in around the state. But on top of that he makes a visit to every HS in Georgia at some point during the year regardless if they have a prospect that year or not. This past month he hosted a 2 day coaching clinic that was attended by over 1000 HS coaches that included a practice, and the key speakers were the head coaches of the Patriots, Falcons and Rams. That's tripled the number of coaches we use to get. He does the normal Bulldog club meetings around the state. Another thing that helps is Dell McGee was a HS coach in Georgia until about 5 years ago, he was a founding member of the AA Georgia coaches Association and is well liked by the coaching community around the state. He was the lead recruiter for Zamire White, James Cook and Justin Fields last year and was national recruiter of the year.

To be on Kirby's staff you have to be a top recruiter, he fired Tracy Rocker because he was a lazy recruiter, didn't try to keep Shane Beamer who left for a lateral position or Kevin Sherer who left to be UT's DC. But offered a new title, co OC and QB coach, and 400K raise to James Coley to stay, which he did, when Jimbo Fisher offered him the OC job at A&M, of course Mrs Coley loving her some Athens didn't hurt there.

He isn't a fan of the big Jr days with huge numbers of kids being on campus, he rather have 12-18 on multiple weekends so he can spend an hour of so with each kid and their parents and doesn't make it feel rushed. But the biggest thing ishe is relentless, it's an everyday thing with him and that is something he demands of the entire staff.

I am not sure if I get this post. Stoops first full class was 2014. Quite of few guys from that draft have a good shot to be drafted. After this year we will have at the minimum 3 guys drafted in Edwards Conrad and Allen. I would say 6 or 7 other guys have great shots. Snell a guarantee if he leaves early.

I will answer for him-------But but but.

A long time ago but my high school coach loved Blanton Collier, but also said he would never send a player to play for Charlie Bradshaw.

Thanks, Grumpy, haven’t chatted with you in awhile, you were always informative. In addition to his Georgia coverage, Kirby and staff seem to have fine recruiting coverage in several areas, believe you guys are set.

Thanks, Grumpy, haven’t chatted with you in awhile, you were always informative. In addition to his Georgia coverage, Kirby and staff seem to have fine recruiting coverage in several areas, believe you guys are set.

Some areas we have recruited for years, Florida of course, usually target 3-4 players in both Carolinas, but went to the northeast in 18 and pulled 3, 2 from Pennsylvania and 1 from New York of all places but 15 were from Georgia when we got 8 of the top 10. The 2 we didn't get was number 1 Trevor Lawrence, but Justin Fields wasn't a bad backup option and number 10 JJ Peterson who we didn't recruit, you can only take so many LB in a class and we got the top 5 on our board which seldom happens, but 1 will likely end up at DE, he is already 255, and another at nickle back. He wasn't ranked as high, but the one moving to nickle was the best defensive player in the state, imo, flipped him from Mich on signing day too which made it even better.

Reactions: Ky grandpa and lz
Replace Boogie's name with Jordan Wright and you'll be on a hot scent on that one. Boogie wasn't stuck behind Paschal but Jordan would've been.
Jordan can fill in fine but like think Boogie is the better athlete currently looking for a permanent spot on the field regardless of who was on the depth chart behind Josh, that's sort of where I was going with that. Point was moving Josh up displaces but it opens up a lot of other possibilities DE and LB to mover around.

And also developing 2 star players Josh Allen and Quinton Bohanna into NFL draft picks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Caveman Catfan
Paschal weighed 260 last year, weighs 280 now. Josh has elite skills, but has always been a defensive lineman in terms of projection. He played outside linebacker last year because of need, and probably because he was promised a shot to play there. It won't surprise me if Paschal adds more good weight and inherits Adrian Middleton's defensive tackle job a year from now because I suspect Calvin Taylor and Davoan Hawkins will press hard for quality playing time at defensive end. And there are so many young, projectable linebackers on UK's roster with long frames - Wright, Whittaker, King, Davis, Oats. When these guys grow into their frames and fill out, most will still be linebackers but some will need to move like Paschal has.

Reactions: jauk11 and The-Hack
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT