ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting question

R.O.T.Muckinfush

Sophomore
Jul 13, 2017
Per Rivals Devonta Lee is scheduled to visit on 12/14 for an official..... Would be a great get.... Anyone know what our chances are with this kid?

Depends on how good a friend the committed QB is and whether or not the QB does not receive offer from LSU . Maybe this is a ploy to force LSU to offer Amite QB?

Have read that his high school apparently doesn't send a lot of guys to LSU, which is unusual for that area. Who knows, maybe that could help the Cats' chances.

Yea, and it seems that more teams are making some inroads into Louisiana, so it is certainly possible and you will never get anyone from those places if you don't start trying and building relationships. Getting the kid on campus and showing up at that school will certainly be helpful.

I live in Maryville, TN and it is a sister city to Alcoa, TN of Randall Cobb fame. This area had a UK fan presence before Cobb, but it really took off even more afterwards because so much of his own family supported him and became fans. Add to that several other kids from Alcoa going to UK and the presence has only grown. Having that is really cool, and hopefully we can grow something similar to that with this school in Louisiana.

Have read that his high school apparently doesn't send a lot of guys to LSU, which is unusual for that area. Who knows, maybe that could help the Cats' chances.
Yeah, they have a 5* D lineman that is apparently going to Alabama. Also I think LSU has tried to get Lee to commit multiple times and he still has not. If Lee and Gilmore are best friends it certainly wouldn't shock me for us to get him. That would be one hell of a recruiting class of WR if we get this dude!

I think most believe it's between LSU and Bama but if we're getting a visit that's a good sign that we're atleast being considered.

That Amite team looks loaded with talent.
If Bama poster from the other day is correct, they are all filled up on WR and no room for Lee, so they would not be a factor.

Reactions: BlueRupp
Yea, and it seems that more teams are making some inroads into Louisiana, so it is certainly possible and you will never get anyone from those places if you don't start trying and building relationships. Getting the kid on campus and showing up at that school will certainly be helpful.

I live in Maryville, TN and it is a sister city to Alcoa, TN of Randall Cobb fame. This area had a UK fan presence before Cobb, but it really took off even more afterwards because so much of his own family supported him and became fans. Add to that several other kids from Alcoa going to UK and the presence has only grown. Having that is really cool, and hopefully we can grow something similar to that with this school in Louisiana.

Good football down that way. I’d like to find a way to start picking up some more kids around there and out toward Greenville.

If he watched about half of our games he won’t come here because we never threw the ball. Stoops will have to give him a guarantee in writing.

For months, maybe longer I have defended Stoops with his player development and game planning. The one complaint I would have as a UK fan is he seems to set a low bar for the kids he targets. Now he is recruiting a 4* kid from La, and look at everyone's reaction. The only sure way you won't sign a kid is if you don't recruit him.

Good football down that way. I’d like to find a way to start picking up some more kids around there and out toward Greenville.

The talent around Knoxville is growing, but it is pretty spread out among schools. I think that getting into Rutherford County is the best thing UK could do. That county has something like 5 or 6 schools that are in the biggest classification and are often loaded with D1 talent.

Reactions: JASUN74
I think most believe it's between LSU and Bama but if we're getting a visit that's a good sign that we're atleast being considered.

That Amite team looks loaded with talent.

He's not a take for us (Bama) unless our WR commit follows our former OC, who just took the HC position at Maryland. Seems like it's LSU or UK. LSU has tried to get him to commit at least 4 times already and it doesn't seem like his heart is set on LSU. His HS also hasn't sent a lot of kids to LSU recently. A DB in the 2016 class spurned LSU for Memphis, we landed Devonta Smith, a bluechip WR in the 2017 class, and Smith never really considered LSU as it was a Bama/UGA battle. Lee's teammate is Ishmael Sopsher, the #1 DT in the country and he will be committing to Bama in February. Their Mods/insiders on the other site are aware of this but are holding off on making a prediction that he will attend Bama because of the backlash he will receive. LSU fans think that every bluechip recruit that leaves the state is a traitor.

Last edited:
He's not a take for us (Bama) unless our WR commit follows our former OC, who just took the HC position at Maryland. Seems like it's LSU or UK. LSU has tried to get him to commit at least 4 times already and it doesn't seem like his heart is set on LSU. His HS also hasn't sent a lot of kids to LSU recently. A DB in the 2016 class spurned LSU for Memphis, we landed Devonta Smith, a bluechip WR in the 2017 class, and Smith never really considered LSU as it was a Bama/UGA battle. Lee's teammate is Ishmael Sopsher, the #1 DT in the country and he will be committing to Bama in February. Their Mods/insiders on the other site are aware of this but are holding off on making a prediction that he will attend Bama because of the backlash he will receive. LSU fans think that every bluechip recruit that leaves the state is a traitor.

That last statement isn't confined to the LSU fanbase RJ, we both know that What are you guys hearing on Sanders, Dean and Gray. We are hearing Sanders and Dean are looking good for us, but not so much Gray. But coaches are still going to try.

That last statement isn't confined to the LSU fanbase RJ, we both know that What are you guys hearing on Sanders, Dean and Gray. We are hearing Sanders and Dean are looking good for us, but not so much Gray. But coaches are still going to try.

Sanders appeared to be a lock but now it seems like UGA has the momentum. Have to tip the hat off the Kirby if you land him, considering he has been to Bama several times and he hasn't seriously been on UGA's radar until recently. I read that UGA has hardly any contact with him until the RB from LSU flipped. If Jacobs declares, and Sanders would probably be our #2 in that case, and it seems like he'd get on the field sooner than at UGA. Evan Neal, Sander's teammate, seems to be all set on Bama. Dean is a tough one to read. After our lackluster ILB recruiting over the last year or two, Dean would have a chance to start next year or at worst be on the 2-deep. One of our top insiders feels good about him, but the kid doesn't give many signals.

My guess is Sanders and Dean go to UGA and we get Neal. The former would suck, because not only is UGA an emerging power that is becoming a thorn in our side in recruiting, but Sanders and Dean seem to be bigger needs for us than UGA, given our lackluster ILB recruiting recently and razor thin RB depth chart.

Alcoa just won their, I think it was, 17th state championship recently topping Maryville's previous state record. They're in different classifications BTW. Despite that success neither school has produced large numbers of D1-type prospects. Alcoa has Cobb of course plus another one or 2 that went to UK. Those guys were probably 2*. I recall a Maryville OL that went to UNC and a QB that went to Vandy. Seems like they had ordinary careers. Of course many went the small school route to successful careers. Hey, got their education paid for! Amazes me the huge success those schools have had.

Sanders appeared to be a lock but now it seems like UGA has the momentum. Have to tip the hat off the Kirby if you land him, considering he has been to Bama several times and he hasn't seriously been on UGA's radar until recently. I read that UGA has hardly any contact with him until the RB from LSU flipped. If Jacobs declares, and Sanders would probably be our #2 in that case, and it seems like he'd get on the field sooner than at UGA. Evan Neal, Sander's teammate, seems to be all set on Bama. Dean is a tough one to read. After our lackluster ILB recruiting over the last year or two, Dean would have a chance to start next year or at worst be on the 2-deep. One of our top insiders feels good about him, but the kid doesn't give many signals.

My guess is Sanders and Dean go to UGA and we get Neal. The former would suck, because not only is UGA an emerging power that is becoming a thorn in our side in recruiting, but Sanders and Dean seem to be bigger needs for us than UGA, given our lackluster ILB recruiting recently and razor thin RB depth chart.

That's pretty much what we are hearing too. The guy on our site changed his forecast. He is really connected with the instate kids, but those aren't instate kids.

Why is this on A uk site?

Certainly it is, and I bring recruiting into about kids UK is recruiting from Georgia when I have it. Rammer is a respectful poster here and I try to be, I asked him a question about a couple of kids we were recruiting, I didn't think it was a big deal but I seem to be mistaken, sorry I offended you.

Because these are knowledgeable rival football fans who have been a presence on this board for a very long time. We appreciate their perspective and their information concerning recruits. What happens with recruits at Bama and Georgia can now have an impact on our recruiting, unlike the past 50 years.

Thx, I just try to share information i get from spending too much time on the boards. I tend to not let things get under my skin normally and think most are the same way, sometimes I am wrong.

Alcoa just won their, I think it was, 17th state championship recently topping Maryville's previous state record. They're in different classifications BTW. Despite that success neither school has produced large numbers of D1-type prospects. Alcoa has Cobb of course plus another one or 2 that went to UK. Those guys were probably 2*. I recall a Maryville OL that went to UNC and a QB that went to Vandy. Seems like they had ordinary careers. Of course many went the small school route to successful careers. Hey, got their education paid for! Amazes me the huge success those schools have had.

Yep. Alcoa is 3A and Maryville 6A. Maryville had some guys play P5 football. Guerrirmo, a center for Clemson when they won the title being the best of late. Both those programs are amazing, but don't really have a ton of big time talent. They just play good fundamental football, and Alcoa is still probably pound for pound the most talented team in the state.

Reactions: mrschwump
Certainly it is, and I bring recruiting into about kids UK is recruiting from Georgia when I have it. Rammer is a respectful poster here and I try to be, I asked him a question about a couple of kids we were recruiting, I didn't think it was a big deal but I seem to be mistaken, sorry I offended you.
No offense at all. Actually really like both of you guys and your insights are great. Just trying to decipher if you guys were saying the cats had a chance at any of these guys. Maybe wishful thinking. Certainly didn’t mean to sound like a jerk, and reading my old post, I kinda did...sorry!!

No offense at all. Actually really like both of you guys and your insights are great. Just trying to decipher if you guys were saying the cats had a chance at any of these guys. Maybe wishful thinking. Certainly didn’t mean to sound like a jerk, and reading my old post, I kinda did...sorry!!

It's all good man, I just like sharing info and others sharing info with me. Rammer seems like a good guy and bama boards aren't free boards, or at least the ones i know of, so I ask him here. If I had the ability to DM him I would have. I don't know for sure if we are going head to head with UK for anyone to finish out the class, but we are with Bama for 3-4 guys, they are trying to flip one of ours and we probably are of theirs too.. We are pretty big rivals on the recruiting trail right now.

You guys do realize you are standing here diveeing up all the good pieces of pie right int the middle of OUR KITCHEN!.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

For months, maybe longer I have defended Stoops with his player development and game planning. The one complaint I would have as a UK fan is he seems to set a low bar for the kids he targets. Now he is recruiting a 4* kid from La, and look at everyone's reaction. The only sure way you won't sign a kid is if you don't recruit him.
I was kind of thinking this myself until I browsed the offers our staff have made to 4 and 5 star players. Now I am thinking it is just a matter of time until we have more 4s and 5s signing with the Cats. GO CATS!!

I was kind of thinking this myself until I browsed the offers our staff have made to 4 and 5 star players. Now I am thinking it is just a matter of time until we have more 4s and 5s signing with the Cats. GO CATS!!

I understand UK is at a bit of a disadvantage because of demographics and population of the state compared to UGA or UF. But to be on equal footing you have to set the bar high, at least in my opinion you do. Richt recruited pretty well without much effort, he is getting hammered at the U, they are ready to fire him. Kirby puts in effort everyday, he is rubbing elbows with instate high school coaches, even ones who are likely to never have an SEC prospect. He may not sign them all, but not because he isn't giving it a shot. We are head to head with at least 3 uncommitted guys heading into signing day, we could go 0 for 3, but we could also go 3 for 3. You just have to try, especially with an ESD, if things go against you have time to recover.

Man I’d really like to have your all’s lackluster linebacker recruiting haha.

If he watched about half of our games he won’t come here because we never threw the ball. Stoops will have to give him a guarantee in writing.
. Well, just hope they won’t read your shiiity take on our team!!!! Maybe he thinks the reason is, we didn’t have many to throw to and he could help us!
Players do get better every year they’re At Ky, so what makes you think Terry Wilson won’t be better and throw more next year??? Kids look at these places all the time to see what people are saying about them!! Sorry man, but we’re not the same program we’ve been in the past..
I’m not trying to be mean, even though it probably sounds like it. Lol. I’m just wondering why some are still talking like that? Most often than not, a year of SEC Experience can make a huge difference in any position player. Quarterback is where you really see the difference in the second year!!

I imagine that Nick Saban would find a spot for Lee if he called him to say he wanted to come! I guarantee it. He’s a future pro.

All depends on your needs, UGA needs 2 QB in this class, we only have 2 on the roster, we would take a decent 3* who wanted to jump on board over a 4* LB, or interior OL.

You sure have Grumpy. I remember awhile back, me and you had a conversation about this very thing. Lol. You were right then and you’re right now. It’s just having confidence in yourself and your program. We have nothing to lose by missing out on anyone, no matter the rank !!
If I’m part of the staff, I go to the very top and work my way down. It does seem like we actually start with three star level kids, and then try to fill the last few spots with better ranked players. I’ll admit, I’ve got some jealousy of your bulldog recruiting!! Lol. I believe it’s payday next year for you all and you win the Championship. I sure hope you enjoy it though, cause we’re coming for you after that. Hehe.
I’m going to have to turn in early this evening, but In the immortal words of the Terminator, “ I’LL BE BACK”, tomorrow. Lmao. You all have a good night.
You guys do realize you are standing here diveeing up all the good pieces of pie right int the middle of OUR KITCHEN!.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Lmao. We may get to lick the bowl at get the crumbs. Haha. I’m madder than a wet hornet right now. Hahaha. Not really. Grumpy is the best ever. Hey soup bean, maybe one day we can get this train rolling like them. Lol.
I’m as happy as I can be with what we’re doing now, the next step is getting a team full of four and five stars players. I’d had a great life watching my Cats fight like they do every year, and being the underdogs makes the big wins magical. It’s going to fun to see how it goes from here on out. I sure do like winning a hell of a lot better than losing though. Hahaha.

You sure have Grumpy. I remember awhile back, me and you had a conversation about this very thing. Lol. You were right then and you’re right now. It’s just having confidence in yourself and your program. We have nothing to lose by missing out on anyone, no matter the rank !!
If I’m part of the staff, I go to the very top and work my way down. It does seem like we actually start with three star level kids, and then try to fill the last few spots with better ranked players. I’ll admit, I’ve got some jealousy of your bulldog recruiting!! Lol. I believe it’s payday next year for you all and you win the Championship. I sure hope you enjoy it though, cause we’re coming for you after that. Hehe.
I’m going to have to turn in early this evening, but In the immortal words of the Terminator, “ I’LL BE BACK”, tomorrow. Lmao. You all have a good night.

It's just how I see things. You never know when something is just going to click for a kid. Our starting RT was from NY, who would have ever thought a kid from NY would come to UGA to play football? But he did, and is a monster for us.

We aren't at the top yet, but 19 will be a season we enter with very few question marks and I think we have a chance to be pretty good, but I would be disappointed if you weren't coming after us. How much fun would it be otherwise?

Per Rivals Devonta Lee is scheduled to visit on 12/14 for an official..... Would be a great get.... Anyone know what our chances are with this kid?

I'd say fair. He's lsu or bamas to lose but he's like option B for them.
His QB is gonna come here if LSU doesn't offer so that's gonna help.

Regarding a quality receiver, all Strops and Co. have to do is show film of the Louisville game.

That was the game where our current receivers could get behind the opponents’ defense. Then tell the 4 or 5 star guy we need him to run with the SEC teams, and do the same.

Early playing time means a lot to star football players, and we have some of it to offer, along with actual winning.

Reactions: jdgilbys5
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT