ADVERTISEMENT

Real Possibility

Cal has ZERO chance getting hired anywhere but a midmajor looking to rebuild, or some unknown school in the northeast where he can try to make noise with "recruits".

• Haha
Reactions: BlueTick2
For real. Michigan basketball has only been good over the last 30 years under two guys: Steve Fisher and John Beilein. And both of those guys could coach circles around Cal when it comes to X's and O's.

But IF Cal does leave, we're going to need to get someone fast to put together a team because our recruiting will be decimated. And that could make the next campaign a rough slog depending on what some players decide to do.
Depends on who we got. If it was a coach known for having kids drafted, and could run an exciting system, they might stay.

I'll be honest, I think this may be it regardless unless this ends in a FF or National Title.

We are likely going to turn over most of, if not all of the roster. Those that may stay would likely leave with Cal. Thiero, Z, Burks, guys like that. He would take the whole recruiting class, minus Perry.

I just think without a FF or Natty things won't be good. This fanbase is as tense as I can remember it. We aren't going to handle losing before FF. Cal will feel that pressure and bounce for the right opportunity. He is saying some weird stuff lately...things he hasn't said before, both vague and pointed.

JMHO

• Haha
Cal has ZERO chance getting hired anywhere but a midmajor looking to rebuild, or some unknown school in the northeast where he can try to make noise with "recruits".

I don't agree with this at all. Cal could energize a lot of fanbases still and he will recruit from anywhere.

We have Cal fatigue so our opinions are lined in bias. Calipari is still one of the most recognizable faces and voices in the college game. He may be the most. Dude is getting ready to host a podcast with Barack Obama. He was at Drakes house this summer. Calipari is still a rockstar...we are just bent because he is falling short.

All I can think is, Cal's got a great team.

It's ultimately his fault, if he can't figure out ways to beat lesser teams in the tourney.

And that's all I got.

We should not be upset by Oakland, but when their own coach is happy about it........good lord.

You said earlier in the year you had inside info that he would not be back for sure after this year, now you just have a feeling only under certain circumstances? Clown.

Anything other than a final four and we should fire him for sure. I would anyway, because then he’d really be impossible to deal with. If you listen to Calipari you can tell he knows it’s over. I think he’ll retire at the end of the year and settle the buyout, or go one more year and settle. Either way I’ve followed Calipari very closely for a lot longer than most, and when he talks this way, it’s always before a bolt. We’re close to being rid of him. I don’t think he thought his legacy would go this way and he caught it too late because of the portal. He has to leave soon if he doesn’t win to salvage what’s left of his legacy. He literally cannot hang around and lose and he’s not doing that for some extra money he doesn’t even need.

Calipari is in a legacy crisis right now. He’d love one last final four or title to hang up on so he could shove it in everyone’s face, but the way he talks you can tell he know’s the battle is too much. He’s done. He thought he’d lay back easy taking OAD’s and it would be enough to sustain his legacy while he rode out the contract but the PORTAL he didn’t see coming in this fashion. That’s what got him. Thats why he isn’t just against the portal (thought he was players first?) but also was staunchly against the 5th year grad transfers. His younger teams cannot sustain grown men on every roster moving around freely.

It’s how you also know he’s absolutely not about the players. This was just the easiest method for him to get talent that can win on their own.

I bet he coaches like his life depends on it in this tournament. lol.
“I bet he coaches like his life depends on it in this tournament. lol.”

What does that even mean? If it means ultra-micromanaging then for sure it will be a disaster.

He should just sit down and shut up. ISOC Cats

I'd love it if that were true...but the metrics (like don't lie stats) say we're about as likely as Bama or Illinois to win the title. I give both of those teams basically zero chance of winning the title.
not wanting to argue but what did the metrics say on the last two Uconn titles or the TTU title
metrics is a tool that is flawed, you still have to play the games
if metrics were always right Vegas would go broke

Anything other than a final four and we should fire him for sure. I would anyway, because then he’d really be impossible to deal with. If you listen to Calipari you can tell he knows it’s over. I think he’ll retire at the end of the year and settle the buyout, or go one more year and settle. Either way I’ve followed Calipari very closely for a lot longer than most, and when he talks this way, it’s always before a bolt. We’re close to being rid of him. I don’t think he thought his legacy would go this way and he caught it too late because of the portal. He has to leave soon if he doesn’t win to salvage what’s left of his legacy. He literally cannot hang around and lose and he’s not doing that for some extra money he doesn’t even need.

Calipari is in a legacy crisis right now. He’d love one last final four or title to hang up on so he could shove it in everyone’s face, but the way he talks you can tell he know’s the battle is too much. He’s done. He thought he’d lay back easy taking OAD’s and it would be enough to sustain his legacy while he rode out the contract but the PORTAL he didn’t see coming in this fashion. That’s what got him. Thats why he isn’t just against the portal (thought he was players first?) but also was staunchly against the 5th year grad transfers. His younger teams cannot sustain grown men on every roster moving around freely.

It’s how you also know he’s absolutely not about the players. This was just the easiest method for him to get talent that can win on their own.

I bet he coaches like his life depends on it in this tournament. lol.
These are narcissistic and borderline sociopathic characteristics you're describing.

not wanting to argue but what did the metrics say on the last two Uconn titles or the TTU title
metrics is a tool that is flawed, you still have to play the games
if metrics were always right Vegas would go broke
2014 UConn was something like 10th in D and 38th in offense. Think I read they were roughly 60th in offense when tourney started.

2023 UConn was top 10 in both pretty much all season long.

2019 TTU didn’t win title. They lost to UVA in championship. They were the best defensive team and top 25 in offense.

I don't think he would. He's at the greatest program in the history of the sport at the college level. Why go back down?
For the same reason Tubby did when he left for Minnesota: he sees the writing on the wall and knows it's over. Better to leave in somewhat good standing then be humiliated by being shown the door.

I could see UCLA offering Cal the job for his last 5 to 7 years. Cal could provide the elite recruiting classes and UCLA could provide the prestige of an elite program with a comparable salary structure.

Some have pointed out that Ellen may veto such a move, and I could see that. She's probably very comfortable in Lexington, with some of the family within earshot in nearby Nashville.

That being said, I still think there will be job opportunities to Cal, and potentially good ones at that. Say what you will about the man, but he can still flat-out recruit, and he looks like the leader for many of the top 10 guys in that class of '25, including Dybantsa, Wilson, Thomas, Johnson, and potentially even Acuff. That class alone would be worth the trouble if you're a program like UCLA looking for a spark.

It’s 100% true. Does take a little luck with draws, a play here, a call here. This wasn’t a cover up for Cal and his underachieving in the tourney, it’s a fact. Nice try on your part as well.
The "Randomness" of the tournament is a fair excuse, in a vacuum.

Yet, it's an undeniably lame excuse over the course of a 14 year career, when in multiple settings, playing in multiple venues, a head coach still manages to underperform in games where his talent level is supremely advantaged over his opponents. See St. Peter's 2022, Kansas State 2023, Kansas State 2018, Auburn 2019, Wisconsin 2015, and WVU 2010 for details.

The full body of work makes it impossible to take the "randomness of the tournament" argument seriously when 50 NBA picks, a few dozen All-SEC performers, and multiple title-less #1 picks are staring back at you.

This isn't a college course on philosophical fatalism, mathematical probability, or the psychology of winning in the young minds of 18 years olds. It's a game, and Cal is payed handsomely to win in this game.

He hasn't done that in recent years. We've seen in the Pitino/early Tubby Eras that it's quite possible to go to at least the Elite Eight in 7 out of 8 seasons. We've even seen it in the Cal Eras at Memphis and UK, when he went to the Elite Eight 9 out of 12 years from 2006-2017. So it's possible to outmaneuver the "random" element of the tournament when a coach combines his given strengths and overwhelming talent and moves to at least the fourth round of the tournament.

The theme should be that of advancing. We've had coaches who have done it before, including Cal. Simply put: it's beyond time that he does it again.

Get it done or get out.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigbluedon
No chance. He's got another great class along with the La Familia Collective. He will hit the portal and start over again with a new team.

Don’t see him going anywhere with the new NIL announcement. I’m not in any rush either.
Gonna be honest that NIL fund won’t mean anything if they lose. Kentucky fans won’t donate to something like that if their team is losing. Heck it’s already slowed down a lot since the A&M loss

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT