ADVERTISEMENT

ralphdalton would you want to keep Antigua?

Remember. If Cal wanted him badly enough, arky would pay the retention bonus. And whatever else is needed to get him there. As a result of Coach O still being at UK, there may be a bridge burning between them. Or Cal said “hang around and let me know what’s going on” and we will pay ya later. I’m betting on a bridge burning.

Reactions: Big Blue in 502
I imagine we will get a lot more out of Coach O under Pope than we would under Cal.

Cal seemed to verbally beat his assistants into submission, and have contempt for any suggestion they’d put forward.

I remember the first year of Chin Coleman, he was fired up and motivated and a lot more animated towards Cal, and he seems to have almost completely submitted in the following years.

O also has more national recruiting contacts than Pope does and could be Pope’s foot in the door into recruiting nationally.

zJNEAST.gif

Gosh what an asshole; shoulda smacked the pomade out his hair!

Reactions: Big Blue in 502
Not hard to figure out. Calipari’s ego couldn’t handle how rich he got and the Kentucky job is different than any other. Caliapri isnt the smartest guy and he just couldn’t handle all of what came with this place.

Not to mention, Calipari is a war hawk, he loves to fight. It’s the most important thing to him, he loves control and enjoys pushing it as far as he can go. He was always going to ruin himself here it’s what he does everywhere.

He really never changed he’s the same he was when he first got here. He just had motives later he didn’t have when he first came in. He thoroughly enjoyed making all the BBN and UK having to watch him underperform. The guy had to be removed no matter what happens. He was going to destroy this place.

There was still a paradigm shift. Something went beyond what you mention though. It happened right after Covid. I never want to assume or imply but I wonder if Cal has had mental issues occur. Could explain why dudes like O and Lucas who should’ve gotten along with Cal ran running away.

Reactions: d2atTech
I hope it doesn't come out that he's using UK facilities to recruit for Cal and that's why we see so many of these portal guys with both of us on their short lists.
He’s presumably still getting paid by UK to do his job. If he’s using company resources to work for another company he could be instantly fired and potentially sued.

There was still a paradigm shift. Something went beyond what you mention though. It happened right after Covid. I never want to assume or imply but I wonder if Cal has had mental issues occur. Could explain why dudes like O and Lucas who should’ve gotten along with Cal ran running away.

It was his idiotic lifetime contract. that was the paradigm shift. cal's lack of effort is directly correlated to his over incentivization. Who gave him that? Ole mitch himself.

It was his idiotic lifetime contract. that was the paradigm shift. cal's lack of effort is directly correlated to his over incentivization. Who gave him that? Ole mitch himself.
We didn’t start really really sucking until a few years after that though. The contract didn’t help but I don’t think it was the catalyst.

Reactions: d2atTech
I hope we keep O on staff. He’s a very good recruiter and I think he could of helped coach during the games but Cal wouldn’t never listen.

We don’t need him to coach really. We have Pope and his BYU brainy guy. Need O to recruit and be the relationship guy with these kids.

Reactions: Rockfly78
Coach O has a lot of connections that would to be very beneficial to recruiting and would add him to the staff, but we still need a name that when recruits here it has that WOW Factor. And right now the one guy that should be added in some capacity and meets this requirement best is Rondo, great pro player, and is a basketball savant and would love to be here. Another name to throw in the mix might be Tayshaun Prince all though he doesn't have the Wow factor of Rondo.

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
All that matters is if Mark Pope wants him/thinks he'd fit in with the rest of the staff.

Personally, I'm a fan of Coach O, think he's great at building relationships with people who have access to players and most importantly knows how to avoid wasting time. Also would give Kentucky a chance to get Boogie Fland back as that was the relationship at UK--Coach O being from The Bronx like Boogie and that was his guy from the Team USA that he wanted more than anyone.

Last edited:
Not hard to figure out. Calipari’s ego couldn’t handle how rich he got and the Kentucky job is different than any other. Caliapri isnt the smartest guy and he just couldn’t handle all of what came with this place.

Not to mention, Calipari is a war hawk, he loves to fight. It’s the most important thing to him, he loves control and enjoys pushing it as far as he can go. He was always going to ruin himself here it’s what he does everywhere.

He really never changed he’s the same he was when he first got here. He just had motives later he didn’t have when he first came in. He thoroughly enjoyed making all the BBN and UK having to watch him underperform. The guy had to be removed no matter what happens. He was going to destroy this place.
Cal became the character in Apocalypse Now that was played by Marlin Brando .

You keep Coach O 100%! He’s an excellent recruiter and he’s a good guy.

Would definitely help Pope get some top notch recruits in here! JMO.

I don’t know if it’d true but a couple of people on X saying he’s not being retained

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT