ADVERTISEMENT

Quarterback 2024, who will it be?

23jumpboy

Senior
Jan 5, 2003
Quarterback 2024, who will it be? Who has Coen got in mind? Does Sheron have a shot? Boley play from day one?

Unless things make a drastic turn look for Sheron to bolt after he graduates which I think is May?

It’ll be hard to get a top notch QB from the portal imo unless Coen can convince them we’re going to open things up. Not saying slinging it 40-50 yds but at least increasing the tempo. I’m still not convinced that Boley won’t see the field, probably not starting at first but slowly worked in and eventually taking over. Said it in another thread, it’s hard to keep to QBs the caliber of Boley and Saunders without a couple of years separation between them. That’s what this program has needed all along vs bringing in a plug and play. If Coen can develop these guys then it’s only going to bring in better quality guys who can grow into the program.

Reactions: jauk11
Open the check book, Michael Pratt from Tulane. Junior, 6'3 220 completes 68% of passes and has escape ability. Good player.
He’s probably gonna be the most wanted guy in the portal but yeah he’s option 1 and he’s multiple years

He’s probably gonna be the most wanted guy in the portal but yeah he’s option 1 and he’s multiple years
IF Pratt hits the portal I expect LSU/Ole Miss to go all in for him.

A really good young QB is Fernando Mendosa of Cal. Mendosa became a mid-season starter and while Cal isn't very good he has shown promise. He's 6'5' 220, is actually from Miami, has a nice arm. And he's not a statue, he moves pretty well for a big guy. Maybe Coen has some West Coast contacts.

Quarterback 2024, who will it be? Who has Coen got in mind? Does Sheron have a shot? Boley play from day one?
How are people on this board supposed to know which QB Coach Coen has in mind for 2024? He might not even be a current member of this roster or the recruiting class. We will know when a starting QB is named.

Reactions: aikenite4uk
Some of the Negative posters are right. The pace and tempo of play is baffling to me. Coach Stoops and Coen are extremely football savvy but this slower than molasses offense is statistically putting you constantly behind the 8 ball. When your opponent runs 65-70 plays and you are running 55-60 plays it put you (UK) possibly at least 2 less scoring drives etc... less. I do not think it will hurt recruiting this year but if this trend continues you better bet it will!

Not sure pace and tempo are as big a concern for a QB as some on here are suggesting. What they want is experience running a pro offense. Coen provides that. A fast paced offense such as UT runs does not.

The better Levis does at the Titans, the better Coen can sell the program.

Reactions: jauk11
Re: pace of the offense: is it just me or does it seem like UK spends a lot more time in the huddle actually calling the play than most other teams? There are times when we huddle with 25 seconds on the play clock but don't break the huddle until 10, 11 seconds are left. Does/should it really take 14 seconds to call one dang play? If so, the terminology and verbiage needs to be shortened by a lot. Once you figure in everyone getting lined up, a motion and, wham!, you're down to 3 seconds on the clock. No time to check off to another play, change the blocking scheme, etc. Plus, with so little time left on the play clock the defense undoubtedly has a better chance to anticipate the snap, which puts our mediocre line at even more of a disadvantage. Maybe I'm imagining it, but it sure seems like there are some plays that we're in the huddle FOREVER and have to hurry up to get the snap off in time.

Just spitballing, this guy looks like a transfer candidate

Plays at Memphis, has good numbers and increased his % over three years, already in the south and may want to play in a bigger league. Unsure of what system they run there. He will be a senior and does not have a Covid year.

Not sure pace and tempo are as big a concern for a QB as some on here are suggesting. What they want is experience running a pro offense. Coen provides that. A fast paced offense such as UT runs does not.

The better Levis does at the Titans, the better Coen can sell the program.

The titans have an atrocious offensive line and limited weapons in the passing game other than Hopkins. Levis has played well considering all that so far. He is taking a lot of hits though.

Sadly, I don't think it will matter unless it's a star like a Drake Maye. I believe that we might have missed our window with the new Conference additions and then the very high likelihood of the 9 Conference game schedule.

Sadly, I don't think it will matter unless it's a star like a Drake Maye. I believe that we might have missed our window with the new Conference additions and then the very high likelihood of the 9 Conference game schedule.

Not to start a topic we don't want this thread to go down but what window?

I agree we are in for tougher times ahead but don't think we were ever a threat to be better than 2018 or 2021.

Whomever it is, if this staff don't bring in a duel threat QB and at least have the option for a QB run game, they should all be fired....

Especially if CMS keeps Yenser and this OLine remains putrid.
First year Levis was elite running the football. We all know what happen year two when they took it out of the playbook. Needs to be mobile. Leary is slower than dirt.

Reactions: cathouse
First year Levis was elite running the football. We all know what happen year two when they took it out of the playbook. Needs to be mobile. Leary is slower than dirt.
I would still like to know whose bright idea it was to not allow Will Levis to run the football.

I almost think it was WL handlers that demanded he would be protected if he returned for his senior year.

We got to ditch pro style statues - our line is not Ga strong - QB had to be dual threat - we need a runner & thrower
They are out there

Reactions: cathouse
Re: pace of the offense: is it just me or does it seem like UK spends a lot more time in the huddle actually calling the play than most other teams? There are times when we huddle with 25 seconds on the play clock but don't break the huddle until 10, 11 seconds are left. Does/should it really take 14 seconds to call one dang play? If so, the terminology and verbiage needs to be shortened by a lot. Once you figure in everyone getting lined up, a motion and, wham!, you're down to 3 seconds on the clock. No time to check off to another play, change the blocking scheme, etc. Plus, with so little time left on the play clock the defense undoubtedly has a better chance to anticipate the snap, which puts our mediocre line at even more of a disadvantage. Maybe I'm imagining it, but it sure seems like there are some plays that we're in the huddle FOREVER and have to hurry up to get the snap off in time.
It makes me wonder if the “pro concept “ translates to young inexperienced football players. Is it too hard for them to fully grasp? Are they spending time in the huddle explaining things to players that aren’t sure what to do?

Reactions: CrimsonCats
It is the pro style offense. More specifically, the Sean McVey pro offense.
Very complicated with multiple shifts and motions and protections that have to be called on every single play.

Way too complicated when you don't have NFL talent.

But what really increases the complication, in the pros, the OC has direct communication into the helmet of the QB and calls the next play immediately.

Coen has to call the play from the booth to the sideline. The sideline signals a play number to the QB. The QB has to look the number up on his wrist band. Then get in the huddle and try to communicate a complex play with a lot of moving parts, snap count, and blocking assignments.

We typically get to the LOS with under 10 seconds on the play clock.

Then the defense shifts with 2 seconds on the play clock, and we are screwed.

CMS has got to get into the 21st century with a simpler, faster paced college offense.

Every team not named Georgia or Bama already has.

We do not have the talent on offense that Bama and Georgia have to run pro style offense.

It is really that simple. Our offense could be fixed in one week.

Reactions: CrimsonCats
It took me some time to catch on to it since the slow pace seems to mesh with Stoops’ philosophy anyway, but I think you might be right. That could also potentially explain why we’ve had some difficulties with blown assignments on the offensive line and such as well if the scheme is just a little too complex for most college players to fully grasp. I definitely agree that we need to look into simplifying a bit going forward.

It took me some time to catch on to it since the slow pace seems to mesh with Stoops’ philosophy anyway, but I think you might be right. That could also potentially explain why we’ve had some difficulties with blown assignments on the offensive line and such as well if the scheme is just a little too complex for most college players to fully grasp. I definitely agree that we need to look into simplifying a bit going forward.
This version of pro style offense suits CMS to a tee.

If you can't run the ball every play and keep the clock running, (even CMS finally figured out you can't win without passing the ball at least some of the time, or the defense just stacks the box and shuts the run game down completely), then the people style is the next best option for slow paced controlled offense.

CMS can't handle those 75-90 offensive play games like UT game in 2021.

He still has nightmares over that game. Coen showed he could run a fast paced, high octane offense in thar game. Both teams ran more than 90 plays each, scored over 40 points, and we DOMINATED rhe time of possession......and still found a way to lose the game.

CMS can't handle a fast paced offense. Can't defend against one either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT