ADVERTISEMENT

QB1 what are your thoughts?

Cawood86

All-American
Feb 20, 2005
Does anyone feel Danny Clark might be a wildcard in all of this, or do you feel that it's basically between Hoak or Wilson?

Reactions: BigBoyBlueMMA
Does anyone feel Danny Clark might be a wildcard in all of this, or do you feel that it's basically between Hoak or Wilson?
Clark has some ability as a leader. To answer your question no its a two horse race. When the coaches have to say oh don't forget about Clark your behind lol.

Hinshaw never mentioned him after yesterday’s practice, he only referred to Hoak and Wilson. That tells me it’s a 2 man race unless Danny makes a big leap.

One thing he said was interesting, that Hoak had a 75% completion rate and Wilson had a 66. If Wilson can get that up to 70 with his athletic ability, you would think they would have to go with him.

Hinshaw never mentioned him after yesterday’s practice, he only referred to Hoak and Wilson. That tells me it’s a 2 man race unless Danny makes a big leap.

One thing he said was interesting, that Hoak had a 75% completion rate and Wilson had a 66. If Wilson can get that up to 70 with his athletic ability, you would think they would have to go with him.
There are so many other factors besides that one particular number. It’s early August. Maybe they were just working on screen passes yesterday.

Very worried about the QB position. It's a shame we have most of the pieces on this team other than that position... I think QB will be the downfall. The staff has screwed up the QB position unfortunately from the get go. Whether putting all the eggs in the basket for a bust like Barker, Towles was a bust, missed on recruits, multiple decommits, not getting snaps for backups for the future or not developing guys that have been here for years (Hoak). I think it's a mess. When we scramble to get JUCO QBs at the last minute, we got a problem. Thank God S. Johnson was a winner, but the staff probably wouldn't have even played him without Barker getting hurt.

Very worried about the QB position. It's a shame we have most of the pieces on this team other than that position... I think QB will be the downfall. The staff has screwed up the QB position unfortunately from the get go. Whether putting all the eggs in the basket for a bust like Barker, Towles was a bust, missed on recruits, multiple decommits, not getting snaps for backups for the future or not developing guys that have been here for years (Hoak). I think it's a mess. When we scramble to get JUCO QBs at the last minute, we got a problem. Thank God S. Johnson was a winner, but the staff probably wouldn't have even played him without Barker getting hurt.
So....you hammer the staff for the handling of the QB position but then give credit to SJohnson for being a winner (who happen to guide UK to back to back 7 win seasons that hasn't happened in nearly a decade).

Does Hinshaw/Gran/Stoops get any credit for SJohnson...or just the blame if SJohnson doesn't work out?

Barker played well before his injury and had he continued to play well SJ wouldn't have played so I'm not sure what that's suppose to mean.

Should Barker and Towles not been recruited?

Every coach misses on recruits.

Maybe the coaches should go after lower rates QBs so there won't be any chance of decommitments.

Not developing guys like Hoak? He hasn't played in a game so how do you know he hasn't developed? He's just going into his RS soph year.

The only thing you got right in your post was getting the backup snaps.

So....you hammer the staff for the handling of the QB position but then give credit to SJohnson for being a winner (who happen to guide UK to back to back 7 win seasons that hasn't happened in nearly a decade).

Does Hinshaw/Gran/Stoops get any credit for SJohnson...or just the blame if SJohnson doesn't work out?

The only reason Johnson played is because Barker got hurt. Even though he was clearly better than Barker.

The only reason Johnson played is because Barker got hurt. Even though he was clearly better than Barker.

Good lord, lately the moronic takes on this board are at an all time high. Barker played well then got hurt in what the 2nd game of the year? How was SJ CLEARLY better than Barker? The answer is he wasn't, you have decided you don't like the staff and you're going to twist facts so that they fit your "these coaches suck" narrative.

Coaches coach, but I don't think any coach can teach heart. It's something you either have or you dont...could give examples , but I wont.

Reactions: fabcat
Barker played well before his injury and had he continued to play well SJ wouldn't have played so I'm not sure what that's suppose to mean.

Should Barker and Towles not been recruited?

Every coach misses on recruits.

Maybe the coaches should go after lower rates QBs so there won't be any chance of decommitments.

Not developing guys like Hoak? He hasn't played in a game so how do you know he hasn't developed? He's just going into his RS soph year.

The only thing you got right in your post was getting the backup snaps.

Stop it. Barker played well for a quarter or two against a mid major. THAT IS IT. Prior to that, and after that, he looked lost and plainly wasn't a very good QB. He had plenty of chances.

Towles was a bust. Phony confidence written all over him. Yeah, maybe we should re-think "highly rated" KY HS QBs like Barker and Towles who looked good against awful high school competition and sucked in college.

Hoak? He got here early, he's been in the system for what 1.5 years now? and he gives the staff so much confidence that they go out and get a JUCO "athlete" who has trouble passing the ball accurately. What about the Reese Phillips guy? I lose track of all the QBs that haven't panned out. We need a solid QB if we want to ever get past mediocrity.

So we're several years into the Stoops era, we've got talent built up overall but at this point in the tenure we don't have a QB? We're stuck with a guy who has never played but been here 1.5 years and a JUCO QB and neither of them give the staff confidence to name a leader? Is it because both of them are so good? You and I know that's not why.

Reactions: BARRYBLUE1
Good lord, lately the moronic takes on this board are at an all time high. Barker played well then got hurt in what the 2nd game of the year? How was SJ CLEARLY better than Barker? The answer is he wasn't, you have decided you don't like the staff and you're going to twist facts so that they fit your "these coaches suck" narrative.

STFU dude and take your moronic take with you. The answer is that "Johnson wasn't better than Barker"? What are you talking about? Everyone knows Johnson was better. Go whine somewhere else. That's all you do on this board.

Reactions: jnewc2
STFU dude and take your moronic take with you. The answer is that "Johnson wasn't better than Barker"? What are you talking about? Everyone knows Johnson was better. Go whine somewhere else. That's all you do on this board.
You sir do not know what you are talking about. SJ was a great replacement for Barker but a back injury to the QB who looked like a Heisman candidate before the back injury gave SJ the two seasons to develop in real games Barker did not get. Nobody knows how good Barker would have been but his play as a starter before the injury and the opinion of a lot of experts do not support your position.

I’m sure it will be either Hoak or Wilson. The one thing I noticed about Clark though, he’s got presence. In what little I’ve seen of him, he seems to have a swagger. I’m sure what it is, but it was there.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
You sir do not know what you are talking about. SJ was a great replacement for Barker but a back injury to the QB who looked like a Heisman candidate before the back injury gave SJ the two seasons to develop in real games Barker did not get. Nobody knows how good Barker would have been but his play as a starter before the injury and the opinion of a lot of experts do not support your position.

LOL. He looked good for 2 quarters against Southern Miss. Two quarters. A game we lost by the way.

Looked like a Heisman Candidate before the back injury????LOLOLOLLOLOLOL. Tell me about how great he looked in SEC games. You go ahead and play the "what could have been" game based on 2 quarters. I'll play the "I saw with my own eyes" game. Barker just wasn't very good. Sorry.

LOL. He looked good for 2 quarters against Southern Miss. Two quarters. A game we lost by the way.

Looked like a Heisman Candidate before the back injury????LOLOLOLLOLOLOL. Tell me about how great he looked in SEC games. You go ahead and play the "what could have been" game based on 2 quarters. I'll play the "I saw with my own eyes" game. Barker just wasn't very good. Sorry.
Well the only thing you could have seen after the SM game was an injured QB. You're simply too inadequate to understand that fact, that injury basically ended his career. Doesn't matter how much you huff and puff you are no different than the idiots that pissed all over Hartline while he was here. They couldn't get in their heads he was injured and missed the majority of games his Jr season. You're just as pathetic of a bandwagon fan now as they were then.

When we scramble to get JUCO QBs at the last minute, we got a problem.

The staff got stiffed late in the game two years in a row after going after quarterbacks of the future Mac Jones and Jarrell Williams - you're blaming the staff on that? I would like for you to tell that face to face with Coach Marrow or Coach Hinshaw.

Coaches Gran and Hinshaw pulled out something close to a miracle by finding Stephen Johnson and bringing him along to the level he played out.

Are you blaming the staff for Barker's injury too? That's three 4 star QBs in a row Barker, Jones and Williams that we lost unexpectedly. I mean seriously trying to blame the staff for that kind of bad luck is a huge stretch to say the least. It's not like Kentucky can go out and grab 4 star quarterbacks at will.

Last edited:

Only one UK QB has had a 70% or better competition rate in the past 25 years.

Couch his last year was 72%

Others
Couch 66 %
Hartline 66%
Bonner 65%

Everybody else was under that. Even Woodson. (63%)

I don’t think either one of our guys will hit 70%
If they get to 60-65%, that will make our offense tough to defend with Benny back there

And if Hoak can keep his at 75% and never run the ball then??? How many Heisman winning QBs have completed 75% of their passes?

Either one close to those numbers should lead to a great season IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ky grandpa
Towles Soph year he had like 2900 and 550. The bust was Dawson. Barker had injuries. Staff did hell of a job winning games with Smitty. Quit being a hater.

Only one UK QB has had a 70% or better competition rate in the past 25 years.

Couch his last year was 72%

Others
Couch 66 %
Hartline 66%
Bonner 65%

Everybody else was under that. Even Woodson. (63%)

I don’t think either one of our guys will hit 70%
If they get to 60-65%, that will make our offense tough to defend with Benny back there

If you’re talking about what Hinshaw was saying he was talking about Target percentage not completion. Those are two completely different stats. You’re right about having 60-65% competition rate will make our offense really good. If they can keep both QB’s in the high 60’s and 70’s in target %. Our completion percentage should be right behind that unless our receivers can’t catch. Another thing their target percentage typically is harder to achieve because they are judging it based on where the ball was suppose to be delivered. Correct shoulder, height, etc:.. I believe we will find a good QB out of 3.

At the time Drew Barker IMO was best high school qb. to commit in 10 years. Don't think he was well coached before Gran & Hinshaw and by that time he was damaged.
Think both Terry and Gunner have the best offense material surrounding them in the Stoops era, particularly the o. line! Feel confident in coaches up coming decision, three weeks we will all know!

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Well the only thing you could have seen after the SM game was an injured QB. You're simply too inadequate to understand that fact, that injury basically ended his career. Doesn't matter how much you huff and puff you are no different than the idiots that pissed all over Hartline while he was here. They couldn't get in their heads he was injured and missed the majority of games his Jr season. You're just as pathetic of a bandwagon fan now as they were then.

Good God... be more of a little drama queen. Huff and puff? Hartline? Bandwagon fans? What exactly are you rambling about? Barker wasn't a good QB, injury or not, sorry that bothers you so much that you start getting so dramatic.

Do you do this every time someone isn't happy with the QB situation? I haven't said anything else. Our staff makes millions. It's their job to get a QB out there that can win us games. Hopefully that happens this year but it's not looking good.

The staff got stiffed late in the game two years in a row after going after quarterbacks of the future Mac Jones and Jarrell Williams - you're blaming the staff on that? I would like for you to tell that face to face with Coach Marrow or Coach Hinshaw.

Coaches Gran and Hinshaw pulled out something close to a miracle by finding Stephen Johnson and bringing him along to the level he played out.

Are you blaming the staff for Barker's injury too? That's three 4 star QBs in a row Barker, Jones and Williams that we lost unexpectedly. I mean seriously trying to blame the staff for that kind of bad luck is a huge stretch to say the least. It's not like Kentucky can go out and grab 4 star quarterbacks at will.

So if the QBs this year are poor and we have a below .500 season record then no blame goes to the staff for the current position we are in? Just bad luck?

Good God... be more of a little drama queen. Huff and puff? Hartline? Bandwagon fans? What exactly are you rambling about? Barker wasn't a good QB, injury or not, sorry that bothers you so much that you start getting so dramatic.

Do you do this every time someone isn't happy with the QB situation? I haven't said anything else. Our staff makes millions. It's their job to get a QB out there that can win us games. Hopefully that happens this year but it's not looking good.

Why do you not think it’s looking good?? Is it because they haven’t named one yet, or do you not think we have one that can win games? I personally haven’t seen any of them play. All I have to go by is what the coaches say abou them when asked. Were you able to see them this summer and so far this fall? Or is it your gut feeling they won’t have one that can win games?

As the man said---"You can't fix stupid." Maybe you should take some time and think about the plethora of rebuttals to your silliness.

As the man said---"You can't fix stupid." Maybe you should take some time and think about the plethora of rebuttals to your silliness.

Nah, I'm good. I just don't understand why you're so dramatic about it. The notion that our QB situation is not in good shape really bothers you that much? You're a woman, aren't you? That explains it.

That's three 4 star QBs in a row Barker, Jones and Williams that we lost unexpectedly. I mean seriously trying to blame the staff for that kind of bad luck is a huge stretch to say the least.
Who knows how unexpected the Williams non-get, not loss, was. He had decommitted once before & kept looking around. So how sold could UK have been on his staying? Not so much imo. Net, suspect, no data, that Wilson had been contacted prior to the 2nd Williams jilt. Would have been the prudent thing.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
We need to have an SEC QB or we're stuck forever... never with a winning record in the SEC and losing to teams like Florida 50000 times in a row. I'm sorry, but it's the staff's job to get someone in here to get it done or at the very least get snaps for backups for the future so we don't have guys coming in completely cold with zero experience. Maybe we couldn't get many backup snaps cause our games with gimme teams were too close? That's on the staff too. Just blaming QB stuff all on bad luck and other excuses at this point in the Stoops era doesn't make sense to me.

So if the QBs this year are poor and we have a below .500 season record then no blame goes to the staff for the current position we are in? Just bad luck?

If a rabbit had wings he wouldn't spend his life humping the ground.
Ask me a question about something I actually posted and I'll be happy to answer it.

Last edited:

What I like about ALL THREE of these qbs is they all have very good size and good skill sets, but do they have Steve Johnson's heart and grit?

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
It isn't our coaches fault that a lot of the younger generation have problems keeping their commitments. They found and got commitments from two of the better prospects around, should they have not taken their "commitment"?

Personally I don't think we are that bad off at QB, one terrific athlete that was a four star out of high school with three years eligibility, some of the bigger programs very interested, another four star per ESPN that should know the system that has shown some potential, also with three years to play, another that was committed to the OSU that is supposed to have all the tools, with four years to learn and play. How bad did it look when we were relying on a two star JC transfer at the last minute when our best prospect in years went down?.

The kicker to me is we will have one of the best RBs in the nation to help him, a veteran and VERY GOOD OL, TWO out of three WRs that are four stars with a veteran at the third spot, and maybe the best TE in the nation, and not just at catching the ball. With a LOT more depth than we are used to having at all of those positions.

I think the support our new QB will have is going to make a lot of difference in how good he looks, AND I don't think our coaches did a bad job with the talent they had the past two years., .

Nah, I'm good. I just don't understand why you're so dramatic about it. The notion that our QB situation is not in good shape really bothers you that much? You're a woman, aren't you? That explains it.
So your confused about sexual identity but feel the need to inject that into a football conversation? and you're accusing others of being dramatic? Thanks for the laughs

Last edited by a moderator:

He is a woman?

With that kind of logic it makes everything you say suspect.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT