ADVERTISEMENT

Q&A with Iowa insider on CJ.

I'm glad this issue was raised. Being the 6th or 7th man off the bench might be a nice niche for CJ here. Less wear and tear on his wheels.
Q. CJ dealt with a handful of different injuries this past season. Is this something you think fans should at all be concerned with?

A. Yeah, that obviously should be a concern of fans. The best ability is availability, and CJ has missed enough time over the last two years to make that a fair concern. However, I think playing less minutes in a reserve role will take more of a load off his body and as he gets older, understanding what he can/can’t do training and conditioning wise will be important.

when I watch Frederick I never really thought of him as a ball handler, more of just a smart kid that didn't take chances with passes
This. He isn't and has never been a primary ball handler. Definitely makes the RIGHT play/pass.
Was a nice addition. But people are reaching with their expectations of who he is by just looking at stats and highlights instead of actual games.

This. He isn't and has never been a primary ball handler. Definitely makes the RIGHT play/pass.
Was a nice addition. But people are reaching with their expectations of who he is by just looking at stats and highlights instead of actual games.
That’s what you want as an off the ball guard. You don’t want a ball handler that takes over the game. You want floor spacing and good decision making. Unselfish and moving the ball around.

He’s a supporting actor, not the lead star of the show...he’s a guy that makes the star shine.

Hit the shot. Move the ball. Average 8/9 a game on 47% from 3...or even 10 points 2 assists like he did when healthy and playing more minutes.

Aka why Kyky Tandy needs to be at Kentucky IMO. Shooting...unselfish...doesn’t do too much to hurt you and can stack up a lot of points in a short stretch.

That’s what you want as an off the ball guard. You don’t want a ball handler that takes over the game. You want floor spacing and good decision making. Unselfish and moving the ball around.

He’s a supporting actor, not the lead star of the show...he’s a guy that makes the star shine.

Hit the shot. Move the ball. Average 8/9 a game on 47% from 3...or even 10 points 2 assists like he did when healthy and playing more minutes.

Aka why Kyky Tandy needs to be at Kentucky IMO. Shooting...unselfish...doesn’t do too much to hurt you and can stack up a lot of points in a short stretch.

Don't get me wrong, he is a solid offensive player. Too slow to stay in front of anybody on defense and not going to take guys off the dribble, but he is smart and can space the floor.

Don't get me wrong, he is a solid offensive player. Too slow to stay in front of anybody on defense and not going to take guys off the dribble, but he is smart and can space the floor.
Good post. He's strong enough he can handle bumps--but he gets space and has nice pull up in lane he scores on. The weirdest thing about his jumper is he often looks like he's off balance/leaning back on the shot but it's usually in as shown by his percentages. For whatever reason, he's not a great FT shooter though-that is very odd but that was consistent with most non Bohannon Iowa players.

I agree. But others have been talking like dude is about to average 20 and Playing most of the game (stretching it a bit).

he was a good get and quality add. Just seen some unreasonable asking of him or beaks that don’t fit.

I agree. But others have been talking like dude is about to average 20 and Playing most of the game (stretching it a bit).

he was a good get and quality add. Just seen some unreasonable asking of him or beaks that don’t fit.
Well he is probably going to be preseason All-SEC and it wouldnt shock me to see him on All American watchlists. I think he should be one of the top pure scorers in the conference and the country.

That’s unreasonable.

10-11 points. 2-3 assists. 47% from 3. In about 24 minutes or so
Thats reasonable and what he did when healthy.

Doron Lambs’s freshman stats..
12.3 points and 1.6 assists. 48.6% from 3.

Not too much...but also the perfect shooter. A true 2 guard...one that just can hit shots. Doesn’t take control of the game.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Just want to add a few things.

In the four games this year where he shot 10 or more times, he shot an average of 65% from both 2 and from 3, and 20.3 ppg.

Before his foot injury at the end of the 14th game of the season, he was shooting 51% from 3. He shot 44% the rest of the season. He finished the regular season shooting exactly 50% from 3.

Also, before the injury his assist to turnover ratio was 9.79 to 1.

He played his last 14 games in a lot of pain, but still managed very respectable numbers until the Big-10 tournament, when the pain really got to him. I had plantar fasciitis 15 years ago and could barely walk the pain was so intense - I can't even imagine running, cutting, and jumping.

Last thing - as a freshman he shot just under 80% from the line, so I think this season's numbers were an anomaly. In the Kentucky Sweet 16 tournament he went 6/6, 10/11, 5/5, and 10/11 for a total of 31/33, a blistering 93.9%. These 4 games were all In Rupp - the last (championship) in front of over 12,000.

I wouldn't worry about his FT shooting. His 67.6% isn't that far off from his 79.5%. 23 of 34 vs 35 of 44. Take 10 more FT and hit them all and now he's looking at 75% last year. Obviously he could miss 2-3-4 in that 10 and be far off. We don't need him to be shooting a ton of FT. We don't need him to be trying to shoot a lot of free throws.

Make the open 3, play defense, and just do all the little things that he does to help his team win games. Im just glad he finally made his way to Lexington. His ability to shoot it is something we haven't had a lot of under Coach Cal and we should have him multiple years.

Frederick can play much better defense than anybody realizes as he moves his feet to stay in front of his man plus he has great court awareness, he is not your typical white guy that can shoot and not guard

Fundamentally sound player

Frederick can play much better defense than anybody realizes as he moves his feet to stay in front of his man plus he has great court awareness, he is not your typical white guy that can shoot and not guard

Fundamentally sound player

he struggled mightily against quicker guards defensively. There may be an argument he is a good off ball defender positionally, but he gets roasted when isolated. His career defensive BPM numbers are ugly. A decent portion of that is playing minutes for some of the worst defenses in the country, but he was a part of those terrible defenses and several other guards on their team ranked better by BPM defensively.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT