ADVERTISEMENT

Project the SEC East

Georgia has been one of the most underachieving programs in the country in my lifetime. They should at the very least have a couple more SEC E titles and should have been in the race for some NCs with the amount of talent that comes through that program. I don't even understand why they're not more successful. Blue blood program with an absurd amount of in state talent and yet they always find a way to lose a game or two that they shouldn't. It must be frustrating for the fans. They're always a good team and I would love to see that kind of success at UK but at Georgia it shouldn't be acceptable.

Perhaps it was mostly Richt becoming complacent and playing it safe when he should've been pushing the pedal. I think Smart will do just fine and have them in the hunt but will he be able to get them over the hump?

There is still a good distance to go for UK but if Smart can't do more with that talent then he will start to see the gap between UK/Vandy and the big 3 in the east get even more narrow. UK/Vandy don't have a lot of the advantages that the big dogs in the east have but both teams do have, imo, better coaches than UG/UT/UF. Switch Stoops or Mason on any of those teams and they would be getting much better results, all imo of course. Jones in particular would've been a terrible hire for UK, SO glad he didn't end up here. I'm sure we would've had an excellent APR and been champions at life though lol. The jury is still out on Smart and McElwain (I think we already kind of know what Jones and Muschamp are going to be) but their leashes will be very short.

You are correct, UGA has been one of the most underachieving programs in the country, if not the most. 2007 we should have won the NC, we had the best team, but like every year under Richt we no showed 2 games and were beaten by UT and USC, didn't make the SEC championship. That year you had to win your division to play for the champonship, unlike 2 years later Bama got in when they didn't win their division and this year when tOSU got in when they didn't win their division.

You are correct, it wasn't acceptable, but Richt had a lot of good will built up in Athens, he earned it over the years, but when we had to accept a grad transfer who was a 2nd teamer a Virginia to be our qb, he lost it all. Then the caper he pulled against UF in 15 got him fired. You may not know, he started our 3rd team qb who was a dual threat guy because he could run the read option I guess. Well that might have been a good plan, if we changed our offense a little to use his running ability, we didn't, kid threw 4 picks early and he never took him out. He was gone before he got home, just didn't know it. He left us with no qb, no OTs, a sub par group of WRs, but he did leave us with 2 good RBs.

I have said more than once, Kirby may or may not be a good coach and the answer, if he isn't he will be gone in 2-3 more years, He knows 8 wins, is not enough. I will be the first to say we shouldn't have lost to Vandy last year, but when we played OM they were playing very well and were better than us, UF was better than us, you know first hand how tough GT was and had a month to prepare for that offense, we had a week, UT was a tight game that could have gone either way. If he doesn't get to 10 this year, his seat will get warm, our season will depend on how quick the frosh OL can contribute. If Wilson or Thomas, the 2 frosh OTs, can contribute and play decent early on, we can have a very good season, if not we will struggle in games. By the time our SEC schedule rolls around they will have 4 games under their belt. But that is a big IF, I know it is and so does everyone else. But one of those 2 living up to their billing gets us to the SEC champoinship game the next couple of years, in my opinion. If they don't, we are the same underachieving UGA we have been the last 20 years.

Cole Cubelic‏Verified account@colecubelic 5m5 minutes ago
My SEC East projection:

DEs7sZEUAAETyT1.jpg

Don't sleep on Junior QB Quentin Dormady for the Vols. Big Texas kid, and his dad was his high school coach. Much better passer than Dobbs, but he doesn't have Dobbs' running ability. Our OL will be better and all-everything 5* Trey Smith will be starting day 1 as a true freshman.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT