ADVERTISEMENT

Project the SEC East

UK2KJAG

Sophomore
May 8, 2017
Knoxville, TN
Since the season isn't too far away I figured why not predict the SEC East. Plus we could use some more fun on this board after we all freaked out the last couple days about Xavier Peters.

Here's my shot

1. Georgia- Georgia returns 17 starters from a year ago. 10 on defense and also returns potentially the best backfield in college football in Chubb and Michel. I also believe Eason takes a second year jump and becomes what he was recruited to be, a complete stud. I think Georgia wins 10 games and gets to the SEC championship
  2. Florida- Florida is returning 14 starters (tied for last in the east with Tennessee). Mostly on offense though as they have only 5 defensive starters returning. Of the talent left on defense outback game MVP DB Chauncey Gardner and CeCe Jefferson should help ease the defensive change at UF though it will be hard to replace Wilson, Tabor, and Davis on defense. I also think no matter who plays QB the offense should be much improved considering they return 9 players on offense and their combination of RBs and WRs is the best in the east.
  3. Tennessee- UT returns 14 starters but lose their QB, 3 of their top 4 rushers (Dobbs, Kamara, and Hurd), and their top WR. So I think the offense will take a step back from what was a very good unit in 2016. Defense I think will, and has to be better than it was a year ago. Yes they lose the teams all time leading sacker, a really good corner in Sutton, and a leader in Reeves-Maybin. I think it will be better simply because of health and recruiting on that side of the ball.
  4. Kentucky- Kentucky is tied with Georgia at 17 returning starters. Their big losses being Boom Williams, 4 year starter at center Jon Toth, and top WR Jeff Badet. Benny Snell and AJ Rose should do a really good job of replacing Boom. Big question is whether Johnson or Barker starts at QB. The defense brings back 9 starters. If the defensive line improves the LBs and secondary are already really good, this defense could be really solid
  5. South Carolina- the gamecocks return 16 starters. 10 on offense and 6 on defense. Jake Bentley will be the second best QB in the east behind Eason meaning South Carolina should have a pretty strong offense. The defense is a major concern for me as they weren't very good last year and they only return 6 starters
  6. Vanderbilt- Vandy returns 16 starters as well. They bring back their QB Kyle Shurmur and RB Ralph Webb who could've been a second or third round pick in this past NFL draft if he had declared. The defense loses great LB Zach Cunningham and a couple other starters so it wouldn't be out of the question for that unit to regress.
  7. Missouri- the tigers return 15 starters. 10 on offense and the most notable offensive returnee is QB Drew Locke who I believe will be the 3rd best passer in the east behind Eason and Bentley. Unfortunately their defense was incredibly bad last season and only returns 5 starters from a year ago so one has to wonder if they will be even worse on that side of the ball.
Thoughts?

Give me your predictions too.

Reactions: SanAntonioCat
The only thing I'd switch is us and Tennessee.

Georgia 1
Florida 2
Kentucky 3
Tennessee 3
South Carolina 4
Vandy 5
Missouri 6

I think it's really tough to call between U.K., Tenn, and South Carolina. Injuries, dismissals, suspensions, tough breaks, luck, I think all of those things will play a role of who comes in third.

Since the season isn't too far away I figured why not predict the SEC East. Plus we could use some more fun on this board after we all freaked out the last couple days about Xavier Peters.

Here's my shot

1. Georgia- Georgia returns 17 starters from a year ago. 10 on defense and also returns potentially the best backfield in college football in Chubb and Michel. I also believe Eason takes a second year jump and becomes what he was recruited to be, a complete stud. I think Georgia wins 10 games and gets to the SEC championship
  2. Florida- Florida is returning 14 starters (tied for last in the east with Tennessee). Mostly on offense though as they have only 5 defensive starters returning. Of the talent left on defense outback game MVP DB Chauncey Gardner and CeCe Jefferson should help ease the defensive change at UF though it will be hard to replace Wilson, Tabor, and Davis on defense. I also think no matter who plays QB the offense should be much improved considering they return 9 players on offense and their combination of RBs and WRs is the best in the east.
  3. Tennessee- UT returns 14 starters but lose their QB, 3 of their top 4 rushers (Dobbs, Kamara, and Hurd), and their top WR. So I think the offense will take a step back from what was a very good unit in 2016. Defense I think will, and has to be better than it was a year ago. Yes they lose the teams all time leading sacker, a really good corner in Sutton, and a leader in Reeves-Maybin. I think it will be better simply because of health and recruiting on that side of the ball.
  4. Kentucky- Kentucky is tied with Georgia at 17 returning starters. Their big losses being Boom Williams, 4 year starter at center Jon Toth, and top WR Jeff Badet. Benny Snell and AJ Rose should do a really good job of replacing Boom. Big question is whether Johnson or Barker starts at QB. The defense brings back 9 starters. If the defensive line improves the LBs and secondary are already really good, this defense could be really solid
  5. South Carolina- the gamecocks return 16 starters. 10 on offense and 6 on defense. Jake Bentley will be the second best QB in the east behind Eason meaning South Carolina should have a pretty strong offense. The defense is a major concern for me as they weren't very good last year and they only return 6 starters
  6. Vanderbilt- Vandy returns 16 starters as well. They bring back their QB Kyle Shurmur and RB Ralph Webb who could've been a second or third round pick in this past NFL draft if he had declared. The defense loses great LB Zach Cunningham and a couple other starters so it wouldn't be out of the question for that unit to regress.
  7. Missouri- the tigers return 15 starters. 10 on offense and the most notable offensive returnee is QB Drew Locke who I believe will be the 3rd best passer in the east behind Eason and Bentley. Unfortunately their defense was incredibly bad last season and only returns 5 starters from a year ago so one has to wonder if they will be even worse on that side of the ball.
Thoughts?

I will give a little review of each then make a prediction

UF, has some question marks at qb, the kid from ND didn't come in to be a backup. UF probably has the top wr in the East, an average SEC back and returns several starters on OL. I don't think their offense will be any worse than last year but not sure how much better it will be, I think their defense will take a step back.

UGA actually returns 19 starters, all 11 on defnse and 8 on offense. Offensive backfield is very good and deep, I don't think Eason is the best qb in the East, at some point he has to live up to the potential. OL will be young, could be starting a RSFR and 2 true frosh, WR is another concern, someone has to step up to be the go to guy could be a frosh. TE is very deep with 5 guys who can play, 4 have started at different times. Defense returns all starters, DL is deep, with 8 guys who have played alot of snaps, OLB returns 3 who have played alot, the others will be young, ILB returns 3 who have been starters after that it will be frosh. Secondary returns 2 4 years starters, a 2 year starter is on the verge of losing his spot, and the other is a 1 year starter. I reserve CB with experience, 1 S with experience, but a group of soph who have played much and a talented group of Frosh.

Kentucky returns lost a good bit of offensive production with Babet and Williams, Snell has to pick up more of the rushing load unless one of the newer guys can deliver like Boom did. Replacing Babets deep threat may be tougher than replacing Boom, a new leader has to step up for the OL, Johnson has the ability to pick up first downs with his legs and is a proven winner. LB unit is best defensive unit with 2 outstanding and 2 average SEC LB, DL has to step up to help the LB. Secondary is a good unit,

Missouri returns an offense that had a 1000 yd rusher, 1000 yd receiver and a 3000 yd passer, they will score some points, could score alot of points. That would normally mean a win, but their defense gave up alot of points last year and lost their best player. I don't know if they can outscore people.

USC, will have the 2nd best WR in the East, the top receiving TE in the East, a young gunslinger at qb who can pick up yards with his legs. They will have 2 good backs, OL is the biggest question mark for them. Defensively they return quite a bit plus they get Moore back, the East's best defensive player, after he missed 16 following neck surgery.

UT, lost 90% of their offensive production and their undisputed offensive leader, the RB is an average SEC back, Jennings is a big athletic WR, LIke offense they lost their defensive leader, best LB, best secondary player. Playing the opener agasint GT with DL coming off knee injuries isn't ideal,

Vandy returns their qb, RB, gets a staring OL who missed 16 back and could present problems for defenses, they won't make many mistakes and Webb is a good SEC back. They lost a top defender at LB, no one else was outstanding but played well as a unit, plus who I think is the best defensive coach in the conference in Mason.

My not so unbiased prediction of finish

1. UGA
2. UF
3. USC
4. UK
5. UT.
6. Vandy
7. Missouri.

Last edited:

Here's my shot

Thoughts?

I agree going into the season. In my mind, the South Carolina game is highly important to both schools in challenging for the east. More important for U.K. Is finally taking down UT and/or Florida. MSU, Ole Miss, Mizzou and Vandy are winnable. UGA is a huge challenge.

I agree with Athlon's assessment "so far to go, but so much to work with."

Reactions: jauk11

Georgia 1
Florida 2
Kentucky 3
Tennessee 3
South Carolina 4
Vandy 5
Missouri 6

I think it's really tough to call between U.K., Tenn, and South Carolina. Injuries, dismissals, suspensions, tough breaks, luck, I think all of those things will play a role of who comes in third.
Definitely UK 3rd

I will give a little review of each then make a prediction

UF, has some question marks at qb, the kid from ND didn't come in to be a backup. UF probably has the top wr in the East, an average SEC back and returns several starters on OL. I don't think their offense will be any worse than last year but not sure how much better it will be, I think their defense will take a step back.

UGA actually returns 19 starters, all 11 on defnse and 8 on offense. Offensive backfield is very good and deep, I don't think Eason is the best qb in the East, at some point he has to live up to the potential. OL will be young, could be starting a RSFR and 2 true frosh, WR is another concern, someone has to step up to be the go to guy could be a frosh. TE is very deep with 5 guys who can play, 4 have started at different times. Defense returns all starters, DL is deep, with 8 guys who have played alot of snaps, OLB returns 3 who have played alot, the others will be young, ILB returns 3 who have been starters after that it will be frosh. Secondary returns 2 4 years starters, a 2 year starter is on the verge of losing his spot, and the other is a 1 year starter. I reserve CB with experience, 1 S with experience, but a group of soph who have played much and a talented group of Frosh.

Kentucky returns lost a good bit of offensive production with Babet and Williams, Snell has to pick up more of the rushing load unless one of the newer guys can deliver like Boom did. Replacing Babets deep threat may be tougher than replacing Boom, a new leader has to step up for the OL, Johnson has the ability to pick up first downs with his legs and is a proven winner. LB unit is best defensive unit with 2 outstanding and 2 average SEC LB, DL has to step up to help the LB. Secondary is a good unit,

Missouri returns an offense that had a 1000 yd rusher, 1000 yd receiver and a 3000 yd passer, they will score some points, could score alot of points. That would normally mean a win, but their defense gave up alot of points last year and lost their best player. I don't know if they can outscore people.

USC, will have the 2nd best WR in the East, the top receiving TE in the East, a young gunslinger at qb who can pick up yards with his legs. They will have 2 good backs, OL is the biggest question mark for them. Defensively they return quite a bit plus they get Moore back, the East's best defensive player, after he missed 16 following neck surgery.

UT, lost 90% of their offensive production and their undisputed offensive leader, the RB is an average SEC back, Jennings is a big athletic WR, LIke offense they lost their defensive leader, best LB, best secondary player. Playing the opener agasint GT with DL coming off knee injuries isn't ideal,

Vandy returns their qb, RB, gets a staring OL who missed 16 back and could present problems for defenses, they won't make many mistakes and Webb is a good SEC back. They lost a top defender at LB, no one else was outstanding but played well as a unit, plus who I think is the best defensive coach in the conference in Mason.

My not so unbiased prediction of finish

1. UGA
2. UF
3. USC
4. UK
5. UT.
6. Vandy
7. Missouri.

Excellent post, I love how you keep up with the other teams.

I am repeating some of this but while I am very high on UK this year I am even higher on Georgia, if I want to be honest. The things we have going for us you have in spades, at almost all the positions, QB, RB, returning experience (and backups), newcomers, etc. We are deservedly anxious to see some of our new talent, but while we have four four stars incoming you have fourteen, with TWO five stars------and five of those four stars are 6.0s. Our weak spot is DL and we are excited about our four star, great prospect, but your weak spot is OL and you covered the waterfront there, a 5.6, a 5.7, a 5.8, a 5.9, a 6.0, AND a five star.

Plus we lost to you at home this year and play on the road coming up. Not good.

I think Florida is your biggest hurdle but it isn't an away game it is in Jacksonville-------and I think you have more talent AND experience this year.

But yeah, I do think we can beat you, but a lot of the pieces will have to come together and we will have to play error free ball.

Reactions: no1gman
Wait a minute, this subject of the SEC order of finish can only be accurately measured after the season is over!

(Sorry, just mimicking the occasional response to threads about recruiting sites and rankings!) :)

Georgia 1
Florida 2
Kentucky 3
Tennessee 3
South Carolina 4
Vandy 5
Missouri 6

^^^ Kinda the way I see it.^^^

Excellent post, I love how you keep up with the other teams.

I am repeating some of this but while I am very high on UK this year I am even higher on Georgia, if I want to be honest. The things we have going for us you have in spades, at almost all the positions, QB, RB, returning experience (and backups), newcomers, etc. We are deservedly anxious to see some of our new talent, but while we have four four stars incoming you have fourteen, with TWO five stars------and five of those four stars are 6.0s. Our weak spot is DL and we are excited about our four star, great prospect, but your weak spot is OL and you covered the waterfront there, a 5.6, a 5.7, a 5.8, a 5.9, a 6.0, AND a five star.

Plus we lost to you at home this year and play on the road coming up. Not good.

I think Florida is your biggest hurdle but it isn't an away game it is in Jacksonville-------and I think you have more talent AND experience this year.

But yeah, I do think we can beat you, but a lot of the pieces will have to come together and we will have to play error free ball.

Thanks Jaux, I agree that we should be UF this year, but that's been the case several other years and it didn't happen, really frustrating, it may not be an away game, every year, but its a farther trip that AU,Vandy, Auburn and UT plus GT who we play every year and only about 75 miles farther than UK, but a little over an hour from UF. If home games are an advantage then its an advantage for UF.

As for as UK having a chance to beat us, I think so too, in fact I don't think there is a team in the East who doesn't have a chance to beat us, every team in the east has a shot at being any other team in the East. If I were confident in our OL being up to par I wouldn't be quite as nervous about our season.

I had tried to block this from my mind, but our punting was almost the worst in the country last year, ranked about 125 or so, that has to improved too.

Here's my shot

Thoughts?

Very difficult to project the SECE this year. People can say what they want, but the top 3-4 positions largely depend on a handful of games that ought to be close. Most years, the key games are a little simpler to assess and predict than this year. Picking UK 4th, as you have, sounds about right. But I would not be very surprised if we finish anywhere from 1-5.

Very difficult to project the SECE this year. People can say what they want, but the top 3-4 positions largely depend on a handful of games that ought to be close. Most years, the key games are a little simpler to assess and predict than this year. Picking UK 4th, as you have, sounds about right. But I would not be very surprised if we finish anywhere from 1-5.

I agree, I don't think there is a game between the East teams that anyone can say is a win right now, even Missouri because as we have seen the last few NC games, defense doesn't win it anymore, its about putting up points. I think it's a combination of offenses running plays quicker and a couple of rule changes, targeting in particular is. I am not against it being a penalty, but a hand touching the qb's helmet? Come on, he isn't made of glass. Missouri may have the best offense in the East which gives them a chance at anyone. Almost everyone is running some type of spread offense with one back now, Mason may have more experience defending that offense than anyone in the country and his offense is getting better, UK returns a top flight RB and OL and a steady D, USC may hve the East's best qb on a top WR and solid RBs, will get the East's best defender back, or was pre surgery. UGA returns an intact D, one of the top backfields in the country and UF just seems to have everyone in the East's number and pulls out wins they shouldn't. UT lost a ton, but return alot of experience, but the only East team starting a new QB. That is never good.

So I believe any of the teams are capable of beating any of the other teams any given weekend. Either that means we are getting better as a division or we are all sliding backwards.

I agree, I don't think there is a game between the East teams that anyone can say is a win right now, even Missouri because as we have seen the last few NC games, defense doesn't win it anymore, its about putting up points. I think it's a combination of offenses running plays quicker and a couple of rule changes, targeting in particular is. I am not against it being a penalty, but a hand touching the qb's helmet? Come on, he isn't made of glass. Missouri may have the best offense in the East which gives them a chance at anyone. Almost everyone is running some type of spread offense with one back now, Mason may have more experience defending that offense than anyone in the country and his offense is getting better, UK returns a top flight RB and OL and a steady D, USC may hve the East's best qb on a top WR and solid RBs, will get the East's best defender back, or was pre surgery. UGA returns an intact D, one of the top backfields in the country and UF just seems to have everyone in the East's number and pulls out wins they shouldn't. UT lost a ton, but return alot of experience, but the only East team starting a new QB. That is never good.

So I believe any of the teams are capable of beating any of the other teams any given weekend. Either that means we are getting better as a division or we are all sliding backwards.
Yes, I agree. Putting it another way, every team has strengths and vulnerabilities. Most years, there are only a couple of teams with fewer vulnerabilities and clearly dominant strengths. But every team on our schedule this year has significant vulnerabilities, and can therefore be beaten if we exploit them effectively. I'm not sure that I completely agree with your narrative of the declining importance of a stout defense. But you are clearly right in suggesting that innovations of spread offenses are putting more pressure than ever on good defenses. Football has always been a game in evolution. Rules changes are certainly impacting this. As long as receivers can get away with what ought to be considered illegal picks in the red zone, and as long as defensive edge rushers are getting flagged for breathing in the quarterback's general direction, aggressive offensive coordinators will have the advantage.

1. FLorida: Schedule, schedule, schedule. Only 3 conference road games and they are UK, South Carolina, and Mizzou. Yikes, does it get any better????

2. UGA: I'll believe it when i see it with this bunch. Recruiting like gangbusters, but not a believer in Kirby (yet).

3. UT: Not sure why people are so pessimistic about this team. I think they'll go 7-5 or 8-4, but I don't see the bottom completely falling out.

4. UK: Will have a chance to be bad, will have a chance to be good. My guess is that we beat 1 or 2 teams that we "shouldn't beat" (e.g. UF, UT) but lose to 1-2 that we "should beat" (USC, Vandy, Miss state). 7-5ish seems right.

5. Vandy: Think Mason will do OK, but not reach a bowl again. Play Bama, Kansas state, WKU, MTSU, and the usual east teams. Tough.

6. USC: Have no idea why people think this team is a dark horse east contender. I think they will suck.

7. Mizzou: This program is drowning, let's hope they give Odom a lifetime contract.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
Ok guys,
1. Florida: Schedule as stated above
2. UGA: Talent
3. UT: Talent but not UGA talent.
4. UK: Getting better. Talent, coaching etc...
5. USC: Slowly getting better. Will their coach deliver?
6. Vandy: Also getting better. Not enough offense.
7. Missouri: Will improve this year but not enough. Doesn't look like a lot of defense.
I think ALL the SEC E teams are going to be better than last year. Florida schedule will make them better than they are. UGA coaching is yet to be determined but what talent they have. UT is going to do UT things. Win one or two they shouldn't and lose a few they shouldnt. UK is going to be better and in a lot of close games. Can SJ lead them again. Will offense be able to generate enough points. Defensive line? The rest fighting for bowl eligibility.

1. Florida - will have a much better offense this year with two good QB options. Favorable schedule only 3 road games against USC, UK and MIzzou. The Gators should be favored in all of them.
2. Georgia - they have a tough road game at Auburn and have to play the Gators at Jaacksonville, which is almost like a home game for Florida. Not yet sold on UGA's Oline, and Eason. Lots of returning talent including the two-headed monster at running back, and could win if they can figure out a way to beat the Gators.
3a. Kentucky - about 85% of the 2 deep return. One of the leagues top O-lines and a franchise type running back. Defense figures to improve with more options on the D-line and a talented linebacking corp returning in tact.
3b. USC - One of the most improved teams last year. They get a lot of returning starters and maybe the best QB in the East in Brantley.
4. Tennessee - The schedule is a murderers row. They catch Bama and LSU out of the West, have to play the Gators in the swamp and start the season off with a very good GaTech team. Will there be life without Josh Dobbs? My guess is the Vols take more than a few steps back this year.
5. Vandy - Don't underestimate Mason, Webb is as good of a back as you'll see this year and their defense is very good.
6. Mizzou - Too deficient with their defense to make much noise despite a good QB and some good skill players.

1 uga
2 fl
3 it
4 UK
5 sc
6 candy
7 Missouri

And I refuse to correct autocorrects hilarious typos lol

Yes, I agree. Putting it another way, every team has strengths and vulnerabilities. Most years, there are only a couple of teams with fewer vulnerabilities and clearly dominant strengths. But every team on our schedule this year has significant vulnerabilities, and can therefore be beaten if we exploit them effectively. I'm not sure that I completely agree with your narrative of the declining importance of a stout defense. But you are clearly right in suggesting that innovations of spread offenses are putting more pressure than ever on good defenses. Football has always been a game in evolution. Rules changes are certainly impacting this. As long as receivers can get away with what ought to be considered illegal picks in the red zone, and as long as defensive edge rushers are getting flagged for breathing in the quarterback's general direction, aggressive offensive coordinators will have the advantage.

Maybe I put too little emphasis on defense because 2 of the better ones did play for the NC in Jan, and it did come down to Clemson's defense being able to stop Bama's run game and Bama not being able to stop Clemson's pass attack. But I think Watson had a great deal to do with that, Hurts goes down Bama's offense looks the same, he benefited from being surrounded by the best collection of talent in college football, but when Bama needed him to complete some passes he couldn't come through. Meanwhile, Watson goes down, Clemson loses big, 3+ scores. His ability to pull it down and run and able to throw good enough to complete passes downfield and took advantage of the officiating.

1. FLorida: Schedule, schedule, schedule. Only 3 conference road games and they are UK, South Carolina, and Mizzou. Yikes, does it get any better????

2. UGA: I'll believe it when i see it with this bunch. Recruiting like gangbusters, but not a believer in Kirby (yet).

3. UT: Not sure why people are so pessimistic about this team. I think they'll go 7-5 or 8-4, but I don't see the bottom completely falling out.

4. UK: Will have a chance to be bad, will have a chance to be good. My guess is that we beat 1 or 2 teams that we "shouldn't beat" (e.g. UF, UT) but lose to 1-2 that we "should beat" (USC, Vandy, Miss state). 7-5ish seems right.

5. Vandy: Think Mason will do OK, but not reach a bowl again. Play Bama, Kansas state, WKU, MTSU, and the usual east teams. Tough.

6. USC: Have no idea why people think this team is a dark horse east contender. I think they will suck.

7. Mizzou: This program is drowning, let's hope they give Odom a lifetime contract.

Kirby hasn't won big yet, but he won more games in his first year than any first year coach in the East except McElwain who was a head coach before he took the UF job. No Call Kirby made cost us a game, we scored to go ahead and win in the closing minutes of 2 games, scored to go ahead with 15 sec left in another and got beat on a hail Mary. The only game changing call he made was in a game we won, against when he called timeout to make an adustment. I do understand wanting him not to be a good coach, but he did a good job of managing the clock all season, played good D other than 1 game./ People are under the impression Richt left us stacked in talent, he didn't. We had zero OT on campus, not bad ones, none there, we had 2 scholarshipped qbs on campus and one of those was a grad transfer until Eason signed. Our RB and TE were 2nd to no one, but the rest of the offense was not very talented.

Now I agree on our OL, not sold we will be much better than last year, and I agree on Eason, both have lots to prove. I will stick to my statement if Fromm and Eason arrived at the same time Fromm would be our starter. but he didn't and he isn't

1.gators- easy schedule.
2.dogs- smart showed me nothing last year, won't beat the gators.
3.cats- ride snell up another notch
4.dores- Webb in his 14th season
5.tigers- good offense
6.cocks- high expectations but they have a horrible coach
7.filthyvols- losses early and Vols roll down hill.

Georgia 10 2 Florida 10 2 Uk 8 4 usc 7 5 tenn 7 5 vandy 6 6. If the Cats can sure up run defense and get better in zone coverage we could flip records with Fla and Ga.

1.gators- easy schedule.
2.dogs- smart showed me nothing last year, won't beat the gators.
3.cats- ride snell up another notch
4.dores- Webb in his 14th season
5.tigers- good offense
6.cocks- high expectations but they have a horrible coach
7.filthyvols- losses early and Vols roll down hill.

Everyone keeps saying Kirby did a poor job in 16, and I have asked several times what sticks out to make one see that but no one has mentioned anything specific. He had one of the youngest teams in the country, a true frosh qb, a grad transfer from an FCS school who was forced to start at LT, his best player 9 months from major knee surgery. He won more games than Saban his first year at Bama, he won more games than any coach in the East won their first year other than McElwain who was a head coach when hired. He may be the biggest failure in the East We had some talent on the defensive side, but outside of TE and RB, our offensive talent, OL, WR and QB were all below 7th if you ranked the conference's positions . I understand fans of other teams hoping he fails, but nothing last year points to him being ultra successful or a total failure. If he is a failure, he will be gone in 3-4 years and someone else will be there

Grumpy, I do not think Kirby is a bad coach at all. look what he did at Ala. His side of the ball was almost unreal. As you stated I think its to early to judge him. He will need 3 or maybe 4 years to know for sure time will tell. I do know he has a bunch of young talent on both sides of the ball. I look for a great year for UGA. Its unfortunate that UF schedule worked out like it did. They will have a leg up because of that. UGA schedule looks on paper as very tough. I suspect by the time you play Florida it(Young Talent) will be greatly matured and that will be a tremendous game probably for the East title.

With UF, UT at home, then UGA away, thats 4th right there. Then we beat Scar, and Vandy by one score at home, an advantage we wont be blessed with this year. Its self explainable. We will be anywhere from 4th to almost last. Mizzou will be last.

Cats 4 wins unless win over UL. Its a down year schedule wise , stoops needs to recruit 4-5 star players on a regular basis to compete. UT does this, Scar does this, ole miss does this, UA does this, UF does this, UGA does this, Alabama does this, blah blah. We will not be successful until we do it.

Ahhhh. Refreshing.

A bucket of cold water is always good for bringing you back to your senses.

Or was that two buckets?

Grumpy, I do not think Kirby is a bad coach at all. look what he did at Ala. His side of the ball was almost unreal. As you stated I think its to early to judge him. He will need 3 or maybe 4 years to know for sure time will tell. I do know he has a bunch of young talent on both sides of the ball. I look for a great year for UGA. Its unfortunate that UF schedule worked out like it did. They will have a leg up because of that. UGA schedule looks on paper as very tough. I suspect by the time you play Florida it(Young Talent) will be greatly matured and that will be a tremendous game probably for the East title.

That's my feelings on Kirby as well. Richt was a good man, and a good coach for that matter, I don't think there is anyone in college football who is a finer man. But he had become complacient at UGA, gotten too comfortable and had let some things go. OL recruiting was treated as an afterthought, him and Bobo missed on 4 qbs in a row, If he had stayed I don't believe he would have done any better than 8-4 because Pruitt would have been gone. I think Pruitt is a great defensive coach, but his personality is about as abrasive as it gets, If not for Pruitt calling out our Ad we most likely wouldn't have an indoor facility today. If Kirby loses to Tech 2-3 years in a row his time at UGA will end shortly after unless he is going 11-1 every year. OL is still going to be a huge question mark heading into the season, our center for now is a failed DL and our starting LT is 6'2" 300 lb. The rest may be frosh and a RS frosh. I am not sold on Eason being the answer yet. Word was he really enjoyed his first year of college and it showed. But I am not excited about starting a true frosh 2 years in a row either. AU will be a tough game, one of the better backs in the SEC, a promising QB and an away game. But we have won 8 of the last 10, Hopefully Gus can ruin another QB's career and we can keep that going. Kirby needs to win 10 this year, its possible but so is 8, but OL comes together quick, its more than 10.

For as long as I remember UT, UGA, and UofFla. football programs compared to The Wildcats had bigger more passionate fan base. CATS hire of Mark Stoops, his much improve recruiting, and finally big upgrade in facilities has our about 25,000 strong loyal fan base very excited over their program! Think we now have a squad that is capable of beating the above three!
Over those years UT and UofFla. never ever played on a level field particularly in academics and recruiting as the Wildcats!
Think if coach Smart does not beat Tech and Florida this season there will some unrest in Jawja land specially with the younger (what have you done for me lately) fans.
Do believe the UT coach would not survive a loss to The Cats.
UofFla loses to FSU, UGA, and UK probably would be the end to their coach.

Kirby hasn't won big yet, but he won more games in his first year than any first year coach in the East except McElwain who was a head coach before he took the UF job. No Call Kirby made cost us a game, we scored to go ahead and win in the closing minutes of 2 games, scored to go ahead with 15 sec left in another and got beat on a hail Mary. The only game changing call he made was in a game we won, against when he called timeout to make an adustment. I do understand wanting him not to be a good coach, but he did a good job of managing the clock all season, played good D other than 1 game./ People are under the impression Richt left us stacked in talent, he didn't. We had zero OT on campus, not bad ones, none there, we had 2 scholarshipped qbs on campus and one of those was a grad transfer until Eason signed. Our RB and TE were 2nd to no one, but the rest of the offense was not very talented.

Now I agree on our OL, not sold we will be much better than last year, and I agree on Eason, both have lots to prove. I will stick to my statement if Fromm and Eason arrived at the same time Fromm would be our starter. but he didn't and he isn't

I'm very clear on how you feel about Kirby, and I disagree. UGA gets talent every year (and he is loading up even more), but Kirby looked like a deer in headlights last year.

Everyone keeps saying Kirby did a poor job in 16, and I have asked several times what sticks out to make one see that but no one has mentioned anything specific. He had one of the youngest teams in the country, a true frosh qb, a grad transfer from an FCS school who was forced to start at LT, his best player 9 months from major knee surgery. He won more games than Saban his first year at Bama, he won more games than any coach in the East won their first year other than McElwain who was a head coach when hired. He may be the biggest failure in the East We had some talent on the defensive side, but outside of TE and RB, our offensive talent, OL, WR and QB were all below 7th if you ranked the conference's positions . I understand fans of other teams hoping he fails, but nothing last year points to him being ultra successful or a total failure. If he is a failure, he will be gone in 3-4 years and someone else will be there

Let's see, total mismanagement to lose to Vandy at home. Choked away a win against Ga Tech at home.

Lost to UT but on a hail mary so hard to fault him for that.

Lose to UF, but every UGA coach does that.

Got absolutely drilled by Ole Miss, I don't think many UGA fans are OK with losing by 40 points to anyone.

I don't "hope he fails" any more than I hope every other SECe team fails. In fact, I'd rather see UGA do well instead of teams like UT and UF. I don't necessarily predict failure in his future given that SECe is an easier division than SECw and given that he recruits like mad man. I just wasn't very impressed with him last year.

Let's see, total mismanagement to lose to Vandy at home. Choked away a win against Ga Tech at home.

Lost to UT but on a hail mary so hard to fault him for that.

Lose to UF, but every UGA coach does that.

Got absolutely drilled by Ole Miss, I don't think many UGA fans are OK with losing by 40 points to anyone.

I don't "hope he fails" any more than I hope every other SECe team fails. In fact, I'd rather see UGA do well instead of teams like UT and UF. I don't necessarily predict failure in his future given that SECe is an easier division than SECw and given that he recruits like mad man. I just wasn't very impressed with him last year.

It was Kirby's fault a sr kick returner catches the ball and steps out of bounds inside the one? You played GT, you know first hand how tough their offense is to stop. At the time we played OM, they should have been 4-0 they were up 28 on FSU and 23 on Bama in the first half, we shouldn't have gotten drilled like we did, but at the time OM hadn't given up on their season yet.

You dismiss come from behind 4th quarter wins, which we had more than 1, won 3 games on last possession of the ball. We beat AU finishing off their hopes of an SEC championship.

I give you we shouldn't have lost to Vandy, but GT wasn't a cream puff, you saw first hand and know that too. UF has owned us about as bad the last 30 years as they have owned UK, through 4 different head coaches

As for hoping Kirby fails as a coach, he is building the best roster UGA has had in nearly 40 years, if he can coach the East title will be in Athens about as often as the west has been in Tuskaloosa. I don't know if he can coach or not, one season isn't enough to determine that, if it was Stoops wouldn't be at UK, Saban wouldn't be at Bama, both of those had some questionable moments their first years and Saban was an experienced head coach.

Reactions: jauk11
stoops needs to recruit 4-5 star players on a regular basis to compete.

Jbapp might be on to something, here.

Somebody with greater technical prowess than I, please, PLEASE copy this brainstorm, and fax/e-mail, or physically take it to the Football Offices.

1 UK
2 SC
3 Georgia
4 Florida
5 Vandy
6 Mizzou
7 UT

Pure homerism but somebody had to do it.

Reactions: catmanC15
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT