ADVERTISEMENT

Pretty scathing Jack Pilgrim article….

You can look at the assistants and tell who looks sloppy. And who claims Global Jam winners, That’s like saying that you’re a Champion of Life!

The way Drew Franklin is talking on the KSR board just makes me think he knows something. Talking about how he would always be thankful for the memories Cal has given us and everything. Maybe I’m just overthinking it but who knows

Reactions: ukfan041
How do you think we will find out anything today since they have kept very quiet about it? I realize they haven't met yet but how can anyone know outside of the little circle?

The funny thing is Stoops is out on the town more than the basketball staff combined. If it has been such an issue why didn’t Jack ever bring it up before?
Nothing is a problem until we want it to be. I get tired of blaming assistants every time we take a bad loss. That doesn’t mean they are all good but they all got replaced a few years ago.

Reactions: ncaaky
“I have a worthy successor,” Rupp said at the time. “I told him for 42 years that if the basketball program fails at the University of Kentucky, then I have built it on a sand foundation.”

It's currently built on fast track to the NBA, that's a sand foundation IMO.

Who are the assistants in question? I have long despised the fact that Cal has turned the assistant position into a take care of his buddies type thing. I know he brought some new assistants in but why in the world is Bruiser on the staff? What does he bring to the table?

My point is, who cares what people are doing when they are off work.
The issue is that the basketball team has had a glaring lack of preparation for two seasons now. Everyone knew Gohlke did nothing but jack up threes. Everyone but the team. That’s on the staff.

“I have a worthy successor,” Rupp said at the time. “I told him for 42 years that if the basketball program fails at the University of Kentucky, then I have built it on a sand foundation.”

Pitino said something similar I believe. Pitino had by far the biggest ego to coach at UK at that point and still understood UK. Cal does not care about what happens to UK after he leaves.

They have to say something before the radio show right? I mean how can you have Cal go on there and then be fired tomorrow? Needs to be a decision made today
I think the radio show is the farthest thing from anyone’s concern.

Who are the assistants in question? I have long despised the fact that Cal has turned the assistant position into a take care of his buddies type thing. I know he brought some new assistants in but why in the world is Bruiser on the staff? What does he bring to the table?
It looked like to me that Coleman was really trying to coach during the games, instructing the players and engaged to what’s going on. That’s just from what I saw watching on tv, didn’t get to attend any games. Any of y’all notice that or is he just like the rest?

The issue is that the basketball team has had a glaring lack of preparation for two seasons now. Everyone knew Gohlke did nothing but jack up threes. Everyone but the team. That’s on the staff.
Not taking up for them in any way of form but the replay shows that MOST of the time on his shots, our guys were there. He just hit some ridiculous shots. Still no excuse for the lack of execution against that zone.

It looked like to me that Coleman was really trying to coach during the games, instructing the players and engaged to what’s going on. That’s just from what I saw watching on tv, didn’t get to attend any games. Any of y’all notice that or is he just like the rest?
I felt the same way. I actually felt like Coleman was the only one besides Ulis that gave a shit. Coleman would be up trying to instruct while the others just sat there and did what they were told. Ulis‘ role seems to be to do damage control when a player gets yanked and actually coach the guards.

Reactions: ib4ky
The assistants in question (or who Drew was referring to) are the ones that sound like they could be a part of the Greasers or Soda Pops.

Pitino said something similar I believe. Pitino had by far the biggest ego to coach at UK at that point and still understood UK. Cal does not care about what happens to UK after he leaves.
Pitino recommended Gillispie, if I recall correctly … if true, he knew it wouldn’t work out, imho.

I’m a glutton for punishment I guess but I kept watching all the tournament games this weekend and it’s PAINFULLY obvious that in modern college basketball you need a veteran dominant guard to succeed. Literally ALL the Sweet 16 teams outside maybe Iowa State have dynamic Junior/senior guards that run the offense and when the games get tight take it over. If Cal comes back Boogie Fland is running point. Sheppard might split running the offense with him but I have no faith he go portaling for a veteran dominant guard.

UCONN- Tristen Newton - Senior
Purdue- Lance Jones - Senior
North Carolina - RJ Davis
Houston- Jamal Shead & LJ Cryer (Seniors)
Arizona- Caleb Love - Senior
Iowa State - Tamin Lipsey - Sophmore
Tennessee- Dalton Knecht - Senior
Marquette- Tyler Kolek - Senior
Duke- Jeremy Roach - Senior
Gonzaga - Ryan Nembhard - Junior
Illinois - Terrance Shannon Jr & Marcus Domask (Seniors)
Creighton- Steven Ashworth Senior
San Diego State- Reese Waters & Lamont Butler - Seniors
Alabama- Mark Sears - Senior
NC State- DJ Horne - Senior
Clemson- Joseph Girard & Chase Hunter (Seniors)

The funny thing is Stoops is out on the town more than the basketball staff combined. If it has been such an issue why didn’t Jack ever bring it up before?
The FB program is sacred because they invite KSR to weddings and hang with them/give them inside info/break commitments, etc..which is fine. Good for them.

Cal cut them off and by doing so, you never win. Media always has last word.

Don't disagree with the takes on Cal currently but laugh that Pilgrim was digging in and pushing back at fans by buying into the March stuff and now sounds bitter he fell for the bit. I mean it's on him for buying that crap.

What's amazing is how the media didn't look at the facts. .500 entering the Tournament against the field....no championships of note....awful defense, Cal's tendency to play guys for reasons other than what was best for the team and then they are angry they fell for it? At some point just say "I was wrong for believing they'd do anything and am mad about it". We who doubted understand.

I don't blame Mitch for hiring Cal, but I do blame him for the lack of oversight and management of Cal. That's all on Barnhart.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT