ADVERTISEMENT

Potential issue with open schollies next year

Jun 29, 2018
We have 9 players that COULD be returning. We have 6 signed up already for next with no centers or big brawny PFs in the class. So, already we have to clear 2 spots just to fit in the 6 we have signed.

We all know that NR and EJ are not good enough to go pro, at least not after this season, but that doesn't mean that we won't lose one or both of them. We can't afford to lose either. But say we keep both, and lose say Juzang and Maxey. We would have a pretty good squad, but no room for anybody else, and we would still have no real strength in the PF and C spots.

Are there any realistic scenarios where we don't lose too much of the production from this squad, but enough to add one or two bigs? Not trying to be pessimistic, but I am not sure I see one.

We will obviously lose Sestina, Hagans, and Maxey. That puts us at 7 returning scholarship players with 6 incoming freshman.

I'm 95% sure Quickley and Richards will leave as well.

Reactions: Titpwhami2014
We will likely lose 2 or 3 thru transfer and they could be players that could help down the road a year or so.That is a potential problem I see
coming out of this season. OAD is about to change and the talent pool will become more shallow.

You are probably right as we lost Wynyard and Killeya-Jones after 17/18 to transfer, then lost Green and Baker during/after 18/19.

The three primary candidates, due to playing time/expectations, would be Whitney, Brooks,and Juzang, however, I don't see any of them leaving. They seem pretty invested compared to the 4 listed above.

We will obviously lose Sestina, Hagans, and Maxey. That puts us at 7 returning scholarship players with 6 incoming freshman.

Not sure about Quickley, but I would think EJ is gone for sure. Not sure where, but he won't be at UK. Who knows about Richards, prob 50/50.

Who is actually returning? Juzang and Brooks, that's it.

Whitney is not interested in being recruited over so who knows with him.

Richards, Hagans, Maxey, E.J., Quickley are gone for certain

Richards is almost certain I think,Quickley 50/50 right now.We are going to need a big or two(which we may or may not get)

We have 9 players that COULD be returning. We have 6 signed up already for next with no centers or big brawny PFs in the class. So, already we have to clear 2 spots just to fit in the 6 we have signed.

We all know that NR and EJ are not good enough to go pro, at least not after this season, but that doesn't mean that we won't lose one or both of them. We can't afford to lose either. But say we keep both, and lose say Juzang and Maxey. We would have a pretty good squad, but no room for anybody else, and we would still have no real strength in the PF and C spots.

Are there any realistic scenarios where we don't lose too much of the production from this squad, but enough to add one or two bigs? Not trying to be pessimistic, but I am not sure I see one.

could you or someone else post the 6 who signed ?

And I certainly dont want to cast shade on whats supposed to be a great class for us but if none of them are power forwards or centers we are screwed . I dont care how many great guards we are supposed to have if you dont have a post presence you are a pretender .. or something like that .

Reactions: willievic
I think it’s still too early in the season to have a good idea of players’ draft status. I’m going to assume that at least a couple players developed into first rounders as we move along, ala Herro and SGA.

I think Cal and staff have a handle on the numbers and it will work itself out.
This.

Very interesting scenario developing to say the least, and not necessarily in a bad way. Maxey knew he was OAD before he signed, whether he will prove to be ready or not.
Same with Whitney, but that’s an even bigger pipe dream!
Seriously, everyone except Maxey needs to be patient, because next season could be a blockbuster. The only thing is that means Cal won’t be signing any more in the Spring.

could you or someone else post the 6 who signed ?

And I certainly dont want to cast shade on whats supposed to be a great class for us but if none of them are power forwards or centers we are screwed . I dont care how many great guards we are supposed to have if you dont have a post presence you are a pretender .. or something like that .

Isaiah Jackson
F Waterford Township, MI 6'9" 200 11/16/19
SIGNED

Devin Askew
G Santa Ana, CA 6'3" 185 10/17/19
SIGNED

Terrence Clarke
G Wolfeboro, NH 6'6" 185 9/14/19
SIGNED

Lance Ware
F Camden, NJ 6'9" 205 9/12/19
SIGNED

Cam'Ron Fletcher
F St. Louis, MO 6'6" 190 8/4/19
SIGNED

B.J. Boston
G Chatsworth, CA 6'7" 185 7/27/19
SIGNED

Hagans and Maxey are the only 2 players getting drafted on this team right now.

Could that change? Sure.

But yes, right now we are set up for a log jam and transfers at the end of the year.

Sestina graduates, of course.

Maxey- gone.
Hagans- gone.

Those two are locks to leave in my mind.

I also feel like it’s unlikely Whitney returns. Someone will take a flyer on him because of his athleticism and untapped potential.

The rest need to come back and work their butts off in the off-season. That would put us at 12 scholarships.

It’s likely another player or two at least bails. Montgomery probably ends up in the G-League. Richards probably leaves as well.

That would put us at 10 scholarships.

So, I’m envisioning this:

G Quickley/Askew
G Clarke/Allen
G Boston/Juzang
F Brooks/Fletcher
F Jackson/Ware

The 1-4 spots look pretty good. Clarke and Boston should be instant impact guys, Quickley and Askew should be able to run the show, and I feel like Brooks is going to be special in year two (if he stays).

The 5 spot is my concern. We need Banchero to reclassify and join our ‘20 class. He’s the best fit of what is available. Brown would be fine too, but is more of a 4.

I think we will be okay with either Banchero coming in or one of Richards or Montgomery back to anchor the middle.

I would hope another offseason would really improve Montgomery and Richards if they would just be patient and return for one more year. Don’t expect them to, though.

Give me the 10 I listed and Banchero and I feel good about our chances next season.

Maxey- gone.
Hagans- gone.

I also feel like it’s unlikely Whitney returns. Someone will take a flyer on him because of his athleticism and untapped potential.

The rest need to come back and work their butts off in the off-season. That would put us at 12 scholarships.

It’s likely another player or two at least bails. Montgomery probably ends up in the G-League. Richards probably leaves as well.

G Quickley/Askew
G Clarke/Allen
G Boston/Juzang
F Brooks/Fletcher
F Jackson/Ware

The 1-4 spots look pretty good. Clarke and Boston should be instant impact guys, Quickley and Askew should be able to run the show, and I feel like Brooks is going to be special in year two (if he stays).

The 5 spot is my concern. We need Banchero to reclassify and join our ‘20 class. He’s the best fit of what is available. Brown would be fine too, but is more of a 4.

I think we will be okay with either Banchero coming in or one of Richards or Montgomery back to anchor the middle.

I would hope another offseason would really improve Montgomery and Richards if they would just be patient and return for one more year. Don’t expect them to, though.

Give me the 10 I listed and Banchero and I feel good about our chances next season.
Montgomery is soft and I don't see that changing. I am sure the staff thought they could teach him that, but really that is something you have or you don't. Same with Richards, but he has a little bit of an excuse because he is relatively new to basketball and has improved quite a bit. At this point I would rather see EJ hit the road next year, but I think another year of Nick would see another big improvement. Regardless, I think Cal has to get some beef for next year. It could very well be another grad transfer.

Maxey- gone.
Hagans- gone.

G Quickley/Askew
G Clarke/Allen
G Boston/Juzang
F Brooks/Fletcher
F Jackson/Ware

Good breakdown, and I like the positivity I just wish we were still getting the quality bigs like we used to. Really would like to know the story behind that.

Reactions: bucsrule8872
Good breakdown, and I like the positivity I just wish we were still getting the quality bigs like we used to. Really would like to know the story behind that.

Agreed. I think not developing Labissiere into a lottery pick hurt us and has been used against us.

I just have a hard time with the idea that no elite big man wants to play for the staff that produced Cousins, Davis, Noel, and KAT.

Doesn’t make sense.

Reactions: IbnSaran
Montgomery is soft and I don't see that changing. I am sure the staff thought they could teach him that, but really that is something you have or you don't. Same with Richards, but he has a little bit of an excuse because he is relatively new to basketball and has improved quite a bit. At this point I would rather see EJ hit the road next year, but I think another year of Nick would see another big improvement. Regardless, I think Cal has to get some beef for next year. It could very well be another grad transfer.

I’m still want to give Montgomery the rest of the season to figure it out, though. I know a lot of people question his motor and all, but I am going to wait and see what happens. Same with Richards. Sometimes the light bulb just comes on in the middle of the season. I’m hoping that is the case with those two.

Reactions: Jazzycat
We will likely lose 2 or 3 thru transfer and they could be players that could help down the road a year or so.That is a potential problem I see
coming out of this season. OAD is about to change and the talent pool will become more shallow.

Cal will be "down at the creek...walking on water..."

Who is actually returning? Juzang and Brooks, that's it.

Whitney is not interested in being recruited over so who knows with him.

Richards, Hagans, Maxey, E.J., Quickley are gone for certain

I'm in agreement , i just dont know where they are going .. I think at least 2 of the 5 dont get drafted . And not 1 of the 5 rise to the level of what I'd call a great college player. Hagans is talented but a PG cant turn it over as much as he does , and his J is not reliable .

Dosen't matter if you are good enough...it's about the perception of the program that has been set.

I think when the smoke clears Cal is going to regret not recruiting/signing the Trinity kids , Teaynor and Powell

Maxey- gone.
Hagans- gone.

G Quickley/Askew
G Clarke/Allen
G Boston/Juzang
F Brooks/Fletcher
F Jackson/Ware

Also, don't rule out a potential graduate transfer big man like Travis and Sestina. 6'10 Lithuania Rapolas Ivanauskas out of Colgate would be another nice transfer for instance. He should have another year left after red-shirting in 16/17 and only playing 3 games in 17/18 due to injury. Zero reason for him to return to the Patriot League either.

Agreed. I think not developing Labissiere into a lottery pick hurt us and has been used against us.

I just have a hard time with the idea that no elite big man wants to play for the staff that produced Cousins, Davis, Noel, and KAT.

Doesn’t make sense.

I'm not sure how they can use that against us. He isnt exactly exploding in the NBA either. I think it has more to do with Orlando being gone. He was notorious for help get the big guys to buy in.

Slugger meant Traynor from Bardstown. Who is going to be our backup point guard if Askew gets hurt, foul trouble or just gets tired in games. And don’t say Quickly please. Too slow and unreliable and can’t keep a dribbler in front of him. Cal better have a trick up his sleeve

Slugger meant Traynor from Bardstown. Who is going to be our backup point guard if Askew gets hurt, foul trouble or just gets tired in games. And don’t say Quickly please. Too slow and unreliable and can’t keep a dribbler in front of him. Cal better have a trick up his sleeve
I watched JJ Traynor play against Trinity. I agree with Slugger about Powell - assuming he is, in fact, talking about the kid who is now at North Oldham - but I don’t think he’ll ever regret not offering Traynor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT