ADVERTISEMENT

Potential issue with open schollies next year

You’ve posted that twice now lol: i mean it’s not that funny. You’re just using the emoji to try and belittle the OP which is just weird.

He said potential didn’t he? Meaning that technically (in regards to the Scholly topic at hand) 9 could return. Clearly OP doesn’t actually think we will have 9 of our guys come back as that definitely will not happen.

C’mon man, you’re smart enough to understand that.

Why post what he posted? If it is not going to happen then why post it?

The biggest problem with this fan base is they have been hoodwinked into thinking they have something special based on recruiting rankings. Over time it has been demonstrated that the model has issues.

Zayn, this is the type of posts that makes me cringe. You sit there and bash Cal constantly and when it looks like he's trying to build a team for the future and get some guys that can be here a couple years and then it's not good enough because they aren't good enough. Players bulk up as they get older. They have potential and have a specific skill to fill a needed role. No, they all cant do everything but they fill needed roles and compliment each other very well. It looks to me like Cal is trying to get some guys to build around that fit a specific roles. Isnt that what you want? Isnt that exactly what you ledge walkers have been asking for? That's exactly what we need yet I still see bitching. Just doesnt make sense to me.These posts just prove that nothing will make you happy. I'd bet that if we win Saturday, you'll ghost the board. I'm not trying to bash ya Zay, just trying to make a point. Just would love to see 1 single post that is positive because I honestly dont know that I've ever seen it. You disappear while things are good and suddenly reappear after a loss. Its ridiculous.
I’m fine getting players like Ware and Jackson who are multi year guys but the issue is that’s all we will have. To win, we need Atleast one instant impact big man to go with those multi year guys.

All guards are a concern to transfer or do something, as the class next year will be given a shot no matter what given the shooting woes so far this year and next year actually has shooters not combo guys that we were told "could also shoot. Johnny is a concern, given he is a West Coast guy, but he reclassified and has no need to rush to the NBA as his parents are well off. It isn't like he is isn't getting playing time, he just cannot hit a shot to save his life and has no idea how to play defense without fouling. Quickly just doesn't do one thing really well but would get more offensive focus on a second tier program.

The big guys do have the potential for playing time, as the class is lacking size. If Richards didn't leave this year he isn't going to transfer with one year left. Who knows about EJ, just like his play, who knows what you will get.

I’m fine getting players like Ware and Jackson who are multi year guys but the issue is that’s all we will have. To win, we need Atleast one instant impact big man to go with those multi year guys.

Agreed.

We need an elite level post presence at the 5. Banchero is the only one I really see that’s a possibility.

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
We have 9 players that COULD be returning. We have 6 signed up already for next with no centers or big brawny PFs in the class. So, already we have to clear 2 spots just to fit in the 6 we have signed.

We all know that NR and EJ are not good enough to go pro, at least not after this season, but that doesn't mean that we won't lose one or both of them. We can't afford to lose either. But say we keep both, and lose say Juzang and Maxey. We would have a pretty good squad, but no room for anybody else, and we would still have no real strength in the PF and C spots.

Are there any realistic scenarios where we don't lose too much of the production from this squad, but enough to add one or two bigs? Not trying to be pessimistic, but I am not sure I see one.
Good post. Not really pessimistic, but I see it working out.

Sestina, Hagans, and Maxey are gone. Our fans are always down on Montgomery, but it won’t surprise me if he gets drafted. Or not. It’s still only December.

Sestina- gone, graduates
Hagans- gone, late first round NBA draft
Maxey- gone, mid-first round NBA draft
Montgomery- still too soon to tell, could be second rounder
Richards- probably back
Brooks- back
Whitney- back
Allen- back
Quickley- back
Juzang- back

Askew
Clarke
Boston
Fletcher
Jackson
Ware

The entering class fits, and there will room for at least one more signing in the spring if Cal gets over his stated preference for 10-man rosters.

Good post. Not really pessimistic, but I see it working out.

Sestina, Hagans, and Maxey are gone. Our fans are always down on Montgomery, but it won’t surprise me if he gets drafted. Or not. It’s still only December.

Sestina- gone, graduates
Hagans- gone, late first round NBA draft
Maxey- gone, mid-first round NBA draft
Montgomery- still too soon to tell, could be second rounder
Richards- probably back
Brooks- back
Whitney- back
Allen- back
Quickley- back
Juzang- back

Askew
Clarke
Boston
Fletcher
Jackson
Ware

The entering class fits, and there will room for at least one more signing in the spring if Cal gets over his stated preference for 10-man rosters.

I doubt Cal signs anyone else if those guys come back. Especially if Richards returns.

G Quickley/Askew
G Clarke/Juzang/Allen
G Boston/Whitney/Fletcher
F Brooks/Ware
F Richards/Jackson

That would be the most experienced team Cal has had at UK. Clarke and Boston would make it one of the most talented teams in a while as well.

I could live with that lineup, but I don’t see Whitney returning and competing for minutes with the likes of Clarke and Boston. I think he is gone after this season whether he can get drafted or not.

We are for certain going to have a transfer or a decomit.. and I'd guess probably 2. Now, more than likely its a transfer. But someone is going to have to leave and it wont be by via the NBA.
Shouldn’t be any decomit they are all signed!

Shouldn’t be any decomit they are all signed!

Cal would let them out of it though. Lets say Brooks or Whitney come back.. does Fletcher still want to come here, with guys like Allen and Juzang also in the mix? I wouldnt blame him at all if he opted out. Because we certainly have a log jam developing. Only 200 minutes to go around.

Big guys are hard to come by these days. The game has changed tremendously and even the bigs likento play from elbow out. The true big doesn't seem to be available in mass quantities any longer.

Here is a frightening thought. Richards stays but EJ leaves. The rest of the roster plays out that we only have one opening left. Cal gets Kuminga but only 2 skinny freshmen backing Nick and Kuminga and they are not capable offensively. Kuminga would be a huge get but just a freshman too and it would be interesting to see how it plays out.

Here is a frightening thought. Richards stays but EJ leaves. The rest of the roster plays out that we only have one opening left. Cal gets Kuminga but only 2 skinny freshmen backing Nick and Kuminga and they are not capable offensively. Kuminga would be a huge get but just a freshman too and it would be interesting to see how it plays out.
Doesn't matter if they both leave if Kuminga comes. Throw Jackson, Ware, any serviceable big in there. The talent surrounding any big on that team would be incredible.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT