ADVERTISEMENT

Potential issue with open schollies next year

We have 9 players that COULD be returning. We have 6 signed up already for next with no centers or big brawny PFs in the class. So, already we have to clear 2 spots just to fit in the 6 we have signed.

We all know that NR and EJ are not good enough to go pro, at least not after this season, but that doesn't mean that we won't lose one or both of them. We can't afford to lose either. But say we keep both, and lose say Juzang and Maxey. We would have a pretty good squad, but no room for anybody else, and we would still have no real strength in the PF and C spots.

Are there any realistic scenarios where we don't lose too much of the production from this squad, but enough to add one or two bigs? Not trying to be pessimistic, but I am not sure I see one.
You are being your usual self.

Slugger meant Traynor from Bardstown. Who is going to be our backup point guard if Askew gets hurt, foul trouble or just gets tired in games. And don’t say Quickly please. Too slow and unreliable and can’t keep a dribbler in front of him. Cal better have a trick up his sleeve
I think IQ would be very good in another year and hope he stays.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Isaiah Jackson
F Waterford Township, MI 6'9" 200 11/16/19
SIGNED

Devin Askew
G Santa Ana, CA 6'3" 185 10/17/19
SIGNED

Terrence Clarke
G Wolfeboro, NH 6'6" 185 9/14/19
SIGNED

Lance Ware
F Camden, NJ 6'9" 205 9/12/19
SIGNED

Cam'Ron Fletcher
F St. Louis, MO 6'6" 190 8/4/19
SIGNED

B.J. Boston
G Chatsworth, CA 6'7" 185 7/27/19
SIGNED

tenor.gif

Best thing would be Fletcher be released from his NLOI. It would be beneficial to both us and him.

Nate, Maxey and Hagans leave. There’s 4 spots. I don’t know what that leaves. But I also won’t be a bit surprised when Juzang transfers also. Maybe we keep the rest.

Best thing would be Fletcher be released from his NLOI. It would be beneficial to both us and him.

Nate, Maxey and Hagans leave. There’s 4 spots. I don’t know what that leaves. But I also won’t be a bit surprised when Juzang transfers also. Maybe we keep the rest.

Whitney will probably transfer too.

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
They’re all the same player. None of them have bulk or a high level of skill.

Reading the scouting report for each player, it sounds like Ware has the skill and Jackson is more athlete than basketball player and low and behold, Jackson is rated higher?

Ware: A lefty with length and some athletic bounce. Primarily a finesse player at this point. Needs to develop strength. Does have a nose for the basketball to come up with rebounds, blocks and steals. Rapidly improving as a rising senior. Has touch inside the arc and will likely extend his shooting range. Capable ballhandler and passer. Has a high ceiling and projects as a skilled NBA forward.

Jackson: Adequate length but very slender for a four man. Tremendous athlete. Fast and a high riser. Has an extremely quick second jump and the instincts and timing of a top-notch shot blocker. Not considered a skilled offensive player but his skill level is steadily improving. Motor, athleticism and potential project him as a first round pick.

Sestina graduates, of course.

Maxey- gone.
Hagans- gone.

Those two are locks to leave in my mind.

I also feel like it’s unlikely Whitney returns. Someone will take a flyer on him because of his athleticism and untapped potential.

The rest need to come back and work their butts off in the off-season. That would put us at 12 scholarships.

It’s likely another player or two at least bails. Montgomery probably ends up in the G-League. Richards probably leaves as well.

That would put us at 10 scholarships.

So, I’m envisioning this:

G Quickley/Askew
G Clarke/Allen
G Boston/Juzang
F Brooks/Fletcher
F Jackson/Ware

The 1-4 spots look pretty good. Clarke and Boston should be instant impact guys, Quickley and Askew should be able to run the show, and I feel like Brooks is going to be special in year two (if he stays).

The 5 spot is my concern. We need Banchero to reclassify and join our ‘20 class. He’s the best fit of what is available. Brown would be fine too, but is more of a 4.

I think we will be okay with either Banchero coming in or one of Richards or Montgomery back to anchor the middle.

I would hope another offseason would really improve Montgomery and Richards if they would just be patient and return for one more year. Don’t expect them to, though.

Give me the 10 I listed and Banchero and I feel good about our chances next season.

“Someone will take a flyer on him”? Lol. Because he’s athletic?

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
EJ is gone, not sure where, Richards too in my opinion too. There will be several leave and all will not be drafted, it will work it's self out.

We are for certain going to have a transfer or a decomit.. and I'd guess probably 2. Now, more than likely its a transfer. But someone is going to have to leave and it wont be by via the NBA.

Nine are coming back.

[roll]

You’ve posted that twice now lol: i mean it’s not that funny. You’re just using the emoji to try and belittle the OP which is just weird.

He said potential didn’t he? Meaning that technically (in regards to the Scholly topic at hand) 9 could return. Clearly OP doesn’t actually think we will have 9 of our guys come back as that definitely will not happen.

C’mon man, you’re smart enough to understand that.

We need more POST players not tall players.

Ignore him.
I am sure it will not be to Kansas since KU will be sitting home next year during the NCAA tournament.

Ignore him. He only says this stuff to ruffle feathers.

For the life of me I do not understand why so many of our guys on here continue to get super triggered by him and reply to all his cringy comments.

You’ve posted that twice now lol: i mean it’s not that funny. You’re just using the emoji to try and belittle the OP which is just weird.

He said potential didn’t he? Meaning that technically (in regards to the Scholly topic at hand) 9 could return. Clearly OP doesn’t actually think we will have 9 of our guys come back as that definitely will not happen.

C’mon man, you’re smart enough to understand that.

He couldn't make a 3rd grader laugh. It's painful to watch. Almost as painful as him bashing Cal and hanging out here nonstop when there's an opening and then POOF he's gone with we get on a roll.

We have 9 players that COULD be returning. We have 6 signed up already for next with no centers or big brawny PFs in the class. So, already we have to clear 2 spots just to fit in the 6 we have signed.

We all know that NR and EJ are not good enough to go pro, at least not after this season, but that doesn't mean that we won't lose one or both of them. We can't afford to lose either. But say we keep both, and lose say Juzang and Maxey. We would have a pretty good squad, but no room for anybody else, and we would still have no real strength in the PF and C spots.

Are there any realistic scenarios where we don't lose too much of the production from this squad, but enough to add one or two bigs? Not trying to be pessimistic, but I am not sure I see one.

Haven't you learned that this is never ever an issue with Cal's teams?

Several will leave ...even if it's not to the NBA.

Last edited:

Come on Silents, you're smarter than that. Jk. Lol. You know how this works and you know we aren't having 9 guys returning. Doesnt mean they'll all get drafted but some will be going somewhere.

Reactions: kl40504
Ignore him.

Ignore him. He only says this stuff to ruffle feathers.

For the life of me I do not understand why so many of our guys on here continue to get super triggered by him and reply to all his cringy comments.
Because I love tickling his fancy. I am not triggered at all. It is nice to have a fan of one if the biggest cheaters in college basketball to smack around.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
There are a lot of short quick guards in college ball that probably can’t be turned by 6’6” + guards. Or can even be stayed in front of.

Concerning to anyone?

Position in the NBA draft is not the sole determining factor of a return to college. We’ll have some guys declare who didn’t have a great season. They’ll get drafted or go overseas. Transfers are always a possibility as well.

They’re all the same player. None of them have bulk or a high level of skill.

Zayn, this is the type of posts that makes me cringe. You sit there and bash Cal constantly and when it looks like he's trying to build a team for the future and get some guys that can be here a couple years and then it's not good enough because they aren't good enough. Players bulk up as they get older. They have potential and have a specific skill to fill a needed role. No, they all cant do everything but they fill needed roles and compliment each other very well. It looks to me like Cal is trying to get some guys to build around that fit a specific roles. Isnt that what you want? Isnt that exactly what you ledge walkers have been asking for? That's exactly what we need yet I still see bitching. Just doesnt make sense to me.These posts just prove that nothing will make you happy. I'd bet that if we win Saturday, you'll ghost the board. I'm not trying to bash ya Zay, just trying to make a point. Just would love to see 1 single post that is positive because I honestly dont know that I've ever seen it. You disappear while things are good and suddenly reappear after a loss. Its ridiculous.

Zayn, this is the type of posts that makes me cringe. You sit there and bash Cal constantly and when it looks like he's trying to build a team for the future and get some guys that can be here a couple years and then it's not good enough because they aren't good enough. Players bulk up as they get older. They have potential and have a specific skill to fill a needed role. No, they all cant do everything but they fill needed roles and compliment each other very well. It looks to me like Cal is trying to get some guys to build around that fit a specific roles. Isnt that what you want? Isnt that exactly what you ledge walkers have been asking for? That's exactly what we need yet I still see bitching. Just doesnt make sense to me.These posts just prove that nothing will make you happy. I'd bet that if we win Saturday, you'll ghost the board. I'm not trying to bash ya Zay, just trying to make a point. Just would love to see 1 single post that is positive because I honestly dont know that I've ever seen it. You disappear while things are good and suddenly reappear after a loss. Its ridiculous.
You make good points. I think the issue though is that it seems like in most cases, even when we have guys that should stick around and develop, they leave anyway. Either they feel they’ve been recruited over or they just leave to leave. Maybe I’m wrong - I could be - but I doubt Cam’ron Fletcher is planning on sticking around here for three or four years to develop. And maybe he won’t need to but even if he does is he going to stay? I doubt Cal is going to stop recruiting his position.

You make good points. I think the issue though is that it seems like in most cases, even when we have guys that should stick around and develop, they leave anyway. Either they feel they’ve been recruited over or they just leave to leave. Maybe I’m wrong - I could be - but I doubt Cam’ron Fletcher is planning on sticking around here for three or four years to develop. And maybe he won’t need to but even if he does is he going to stay? I doubt Cal is going to stop recruiting his position.

Yeah, I completely get that but my point is about bashing Cal. Youre exactly right with your post but this guy is one of the worst at only showing up after a loss and/or completely bashing Cal at all times. You just cant please some people, that's all I'm saying. Some people just want to be miserable and will never be happy. They bash him for never having a complete team but NEVEr factor in those kinds of variables, such as the player leaving against advice or the quick development of guys we thought would fill key roles in the future. That was my point in the post. With some on here, it's just blind ignorant bashing.

Reactions: gojvc
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT