ADVERTISEMENT

Possible Commit Soon? Knox/Edgecomb?

Something to keep in mind with Reed…he will 20 years old on draft day. Another thing besides his tremendous production and efficiency that will likely swing him to OAD.
I could be wrong and you never know what kids will do, but Sheppard doesn’t strike me as a kid that is in a hurry to leave college.

He’s a Kentucky kid, his parents are UK grads, and his family isn’t in dire financial straits.

Wearing that UK uniform probably means more to him than just about anyone given his situation.

Not sure he will give it up after just one season.

The other Freshmen already have one foot out the door.

I could be wrong and you never know what kids will do, but Sheppard doesn’t strike me as a kid that is in a hurry to leave college.

He’s a Kentucky kid, his parents are UK grads, and his family isn’t in dire financial straits.

Wearing that UK uniform probably means more to him than just about anyone given his situation.

I want you to be right so so bad. He’s gotta be making super solid NIL money too.

That's how I see it as well; let's hope we're right, lol.

I think it may well come down to how we do in the NCAA tourney. If we win it all, I could see him more likely to go. If we come up short, I could see him being hungry enough to want to come back.

Reactions: bucsrule8872

I also think an underrated factor here is a college degree….if you stay two years it’s not that bad to take summer classes in the NBA off-season for a couple of years to get the degree. If you leave after one year it takes significantly longer. There is life after basketball to consider. As you noted the family’s financial situation is very good and the amount of NIL he will command is probably the most in the history of UK NIL era next year. Also there are compelling basketball reasons to stay. His on ball defense must greatly improve or he won’t get to play and get that 2nd NBA contract. Grady Dick for example as a lottery pick is getting no playing time for the Raptors hardly because his defenses is so poor. The best way to improve is to come back and practice a ton and work with the college coaches who specialize in player development.

Reactions: BigKari
Sheppard's not leaving here after one year.

If Sheppard goes, he's like a late 1st round pick or early 2nd round.

The 2023 NBA picks in the back end made about $2 million a year.

Sheppard can get that in NIL.

Plus, I actually don't think anyone is taking him until the 40s or 50s.

I think it may well come down to how we do in the NCAA tourney. If we win it all, I could see him more likely to go. If we come up short, I could see him being hungry enough to want to come back.
If we win the title this year, it might make him more willing to stay.

His dad won two. Reed could match that.

Actually, he would top him by winning the title as a Freshman and Sophomore. Jeff was a Junior and a fifth year Senior.

Sheppard's not leaving here after one year.

If Sheppard goes, he's like a late 1st round pick or early 2nd round.

The 2023 NBA picks in the back end made about $2 million a year.

Sheppard can get that in NIL.

Plus, I actually don't think anyone is taking him until the 40s or 50s.
I don’t know about that man. He’s a complete player, Pat Riley would snatch him up, no doubt in my mind. He feasts on guys like Sheppard that drop to him at that level.

Reactions: University-6
If UK can keep Edgecomb from Duke, that might signal that Duke's recruiting prowess is waning with Jon Scheyer's somewhat rocky tenure so far.

And if things keep going poorly for them, I'd absoltuely keep in touch with all their recruits. to heck with the NCAA rules about this. I'd have someone every week text Flagg asking "You still sure you want to go to Duke?"
💯

I don’t know about that man. He’s a complete player, Pat Riley would snatch him up, no doubt in my mind. He feasts on guys like Sheppard that drop to him at that level.
The issue with Sheppard is that he's really only going to play one position in the NBA, which is point guard.

Does someone invest a 1st round pick on him after one year to play lead guard in the NBA? Maybe; but Sheppard could come back and solidify himself as a lottery-level player.

I just don't see him leaving yet. The guys who seem to be adamant about him jumping after this year seem to forget who this kid is. If Kyle Filipowski can reject a top 25 pick status after his first year at Duke, then Sheppard can certainly do so at Kentucky.

Reactions: bucsrule8872

From reading the tea leaves it seems like it would be Karter Knox or VJ Edgecomb. Knox is Kevin’s brother. He’s supposed to be taking a visit to UL but that’s mostly just due to Kenny being there. Feels like Knox is UK’s if Cal wants him. With as many people we expect to lose I don’t know why UK wouldn’t want him.

VJ would be the best case scenario. Top 5 talent and if we get him it would be a huge win over Duke. Duke people feel like if he decides before May/June then it wouldn’t be Duke. Supposedly he wants to commit around January.

But it would be very cool if Cal let Wagner come back for a second year, we land Edgecomb and we also get AJ Dybantsa plus he reclassifies moving into Edgecomb’s class. A starting lineup with DJ, VJ and AJ would be funny for the names alone, plus it would be absolutely stacked talent wise.

Wagner isn't coming back for a year lol

Who knows? Maybe in the back of his mind he wants to surpass his ol' man's accomplishments? That would entail 2/3 yrs. on campus, as Jeff's a two-time natl. champ plus final 4 mvp. I could see a legacy recruit thinking along these lines; esp. since his mom's a hoops legend in her own right.

Guys....you do this every year. Consider everyone gone and be shocked if anyone that contributes at all returns.

If Shep or anyone else is going to get drafted in the first round, they are gone.

Dude would be a huge get. Like huge. Pivotal for more reasons than the fact he has NBA all-star potential. Going to sting if he goes to Duke, but like...why? Why take on the responsibility of being a Duke douchebag for the rest of your life? Why associate with weird guys like Jon Scheyer?

There is no better program than Kentucky at it's best and kid could have John Wallesque hype.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT