ADVERTISEMENT

Possible Commit Soon? Knox/Edgecomb?

TheExhaustedOne

Sophomore
Jan 24, 2020
Above You

From reading the tea leaves it seems like it would be Karter Knox or VJ Edgecomb. Knox is Kevin’s brother. He’s supposed to be taking a visit to UL but that’s mostly just due to Kenny being there. Feels like Knox is UK’s if Cal wants him. With as many people we expect to lose I don’t know why UK wouldn’t want him.

VJ would be the best case scenario. Top 5 talent and if we get him it would be a huge win over Duke. Duke people feel like if he decides before May/June then it wouldn’t be Duke. Supposedly he wants to commit around January.

But it would be very cool if Cal let Wagner come back for a second year, we land Edgecomb and we also get AJ Dybantsa plus he reclassifies moving into Edgecomb’s class. A starting lineup with DJ, VJ and AJ would be funny for the names alone, plus it would be absolutely stacked talent wise.

Interesting. Obviously, if I could pick it would be AJ, but would be happy with any of the three!

But it would be very cool if Cal let Wagner come back for a second year, we land Edgecomb and we also get AJ Dybantsa plus he reclassifies moving into Edgecomb’s class. A starting lineup with DJ, VJ and AJ would be funny for the names alone, plus it would be absolutely stacked talent wise.

We will be lucky if Cal doesn't make him leave mid season to prepare for the draft. 😂

If it's at the end of the season and Wagner is slated to be drafted in the first round, then Cal is not "letting him come back". He will be pushed to leave. We should know this by now.
Wagner came to Kentucky to leave after this season! Cal doesn’t have to push him. Just like Edwards, Bradshaw, Rob, not so much Reed but it’s looking more like it’s a possibility every day!

Wagner came to Kentucky to leave after this season! Cal doesn’t have to push him. Just like Edwards, Bradshaw, Rob, not so much Reed but it’s looking more like it’s a possibility every day!
I didn't want to say it :)

Reactions: mailman85
Dybantsa just reclassed from 2026 to 2025. I don’t think he will reclass to 2024. That would be unprecedented.

Wagner is a OAD. He isn’t coming back.

My hope is to get Sheppard back for one more season. That’s much more likely to happen than Wagner returning.

As for a commitment, it’s most likely Knox over Edgecombe. I think Edgecombe goes to Duke with Flagg. Knox is supposedly either UK or UofL. He just visited UofL and so it makes sense he would be committing to us or them soon. The choice seems obvious for him at this point.

I’m predicting Sheppard, Fland, and Knox as our starting backcourt next season with Perry, Hart, and Richmond off the bench.

Thiero, Burks, Quaintance, and Cyril as our frontcourt. Maybe Onyenso returns as well.

That would be a title contender.

Sheppard would be a NPOY contender next season.

From reading the tea leaves it seems like it would be Karter Knox or VJ Edgecomb. Knox is Kevin’s brother. He’s supposed to be taking a visit to UL but that’s mostly just due to Kenny being there. Feels like Knox is UK’s if Cal wants him. With as many people we expect to lose I don’t know why UK wouldn’t want him.

VJ would be the best case scenario. Top 5 talent and if we get him it would be a huge win over Duke. Duke people feel like if he decides before May/June then it wouldn’t be Duke. Supposedly he wants to commit around January.

could be the 7'2" international kid that reclassified... his name escapes me right now....UK staff was in to see him in the morning and he announces reclassifying later that day... sounds like more than coincidence to me

Reactions: westerncat
Dybantsa just reclassed from 2026 to 2025. I don’t think he will reclass to 2024. That would be unprecedented.

My hope is to get Sheppard back for one more season. That’s much more likely to happen than Wagner returning.

As for a commitment, it’s most likely Knox over Edgecombe. I think Edgecombe goes to Duke with Flagg. Knox is supposedly either UK or UofL. He just visited UofL and so it makes sense he would be committing to us or them soon. The choice seems obvious for him at this point.

I’m predicting Sheppard, Fland, and Knox as our starting backcourt next season with Perry, Hart, and Richmond off the bench.

Thiero, Burks, Quaintance, and Cyril as our frontcourt. Maybe Onyenso returns as well.

We need to land Edgecombe bad from that class if not we definitely need to get a big time guard to reclassify from the 25 class.

Last edited:

Knox is not a guard. That team is two guards/shooters short.

It's got to be Edgecomb, which would be the best possible news we could receive because we need a wing.

Dybantsa can't reclassify again. He's already done it once.

Reactions: gharding07
Something to keep in mind with Reed…he will 20 years old on draft day. Another thing besides his tremendous production and efficiency that will likely swing him to OAD.

We need to land Edgecombe bad from that class if not we definitely need to get a big time guard to reclassify from the 25 class.
What about getting one of the best 2Gs in CBB from the portal? What are the chances that a reclass could impact winning as a freshman on the same level as the best 2G from the portal? I think the chances would actually be slim in regard to that reclass. Sometimes it feels like we as a fanbase have been so conditioned on relying on a new group of freshmen every season that we fail to realize what a weapon the current iteration of the transfer portal has become.

Reactions: PhattyJ4UK
It's got to be Edgecomb, which would be the best possible news we could receive because we need a wing.

Dybantsa can't reclassify again. He's already done it once.
There’s actually no rule that says that, and Dybantsa is 6 months older than Jayden Quaintance.

Could you imagine both of them here on the 2 year plan? Why not right? Marvin Bagley set the precedent for HS coursework being a joke anyway, that part is easy enough to take care of.

There’s actually no rule that says that, and Dybantsa is 6 months older than Jayden Quaintance.

Could you imagine both of them here on the 2 year plan? Why not right? Marvin Bagley set the precedent for HS coursework being a joke anyway, that part is easy enough to take care of.
Dont forget Duvall going to an online school in Nebraska to get eligible for Duke.

If it's at the end of the season and Wagner is slated to be drafted in the first round, then Cal is not "letting him come back". He will be pushed to leave. We should know this by now.

Just like Cal told Boogie when he wanted to come back.

“If you want to take care of your family, go. If you want to take care of mine, come back.”

Now looking back, with the injury prone career Cousins had, who is to say he would have ever made a dollar playing basketball if he came back and end up hurt.

Safe to say, he made the wise decision and so will DJ.

Reactions: Fox2monk
If UK can keep Edgecomb from Duke, that might signal that Duke's recruiting prowess is waning with Jon Scheyer's somewhat rocky tenure so far.

And if things keep going poorly for them, I'd absoltuely keep in touch with all their recruits. to heck with the NCAA rules about this. I'd have someone every week text Flagg asking "You still sure you want to go to Duke?"

Comments from the update from Branham regarding UK were glowing. This might be happening
Kentucky: “The visit was great, to be honest. Getting to know Coach Cal more. He’s a legendary head coach and getting to know him more was one of the best things about the visit to be honest. Seeing the players, how they develop. They are heavy on freshmen over there but they’re all striving and playing well. That was the main thing and how hard they practice and stuff like that.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT