ADVERTISEMENT

Pope now a legit candidate - CBS

A man with character. No NCAA recruiting violations. Players stay out of trouble. Great role model as a former Cat who has been a success.
If the greatness of Kentucky still propels coaches upward-a great choice. If that advantage no longer exists You will know.

You talking about ''deserve'' is hilarious. People don't have to support a hire if they don't like it. Boosters do it all the time. So do fans.
I was referring to the players deserving our respect, read it again. Whats hilarious is people claiming to be “fans” who are “out” because they disagree with a coaching hire.

Reactions: treyforuk
i wouldn’t be opposed to pope at uk. i’ve watched some of his games these past several years and he’s a decent coach. byu probably not an easy place to attract players. he might already have his dream job though at byu since he’s mormon.

Reactions: dl51344
I will still stop watching college basketball all together then. I will stick to watching UK and OSU football, Cincinnati Bengals, Cincinnati Reds, AD/LeBron/Booker, Woods/Koepka and that's it
Try UK Baseball. I'm telling you its a nice diversion to basketball. I did it a couple years ago.

Reactions: Basil Cat
I swear if Mitch don't wait for Billy D and hire Mark Pope... :mad:

Sounds like Barney started at the least cost to get a coach of the top three, AKA Drew, if Donovan or Hurley both turned down the job (we have heard nothing from the horse's mouth other than here say) surely Pope is not next up, if so, he went the "dollar store" route to get a coach. If he is including Pope as a candidate, might as well add Ford, and Pelphrey.

We have to have some self respect. Enough of the pope talk. He’s a loser
How is he a loser? He holds his own in the Big12, and makes the tournament. All while recruiting with some of the toughest enrollment standards in D1. The big names all started somewhere.
Some of us tried telling you folks that we weren't going to just pick whoever we want. The top job is a demanding job. The difference between rich and more rich isn't worth it to everyone.
He ain't my first choice either, but he's no loser, and he's not the worst we could do.

Probably because he hasn't won anything of significance. How am I supposed to be excited about an opening game flameout to Duquesne?

Fair! Have no issue with someone feeling like that for sure.

To be fair, how would Hubert Davis have fared if he had gotten (for instance) the UNC-Greensboro job and then got the job at Georgia Tech.

Would he have the resume that Tar Heel fans would give him the job? Would he have been winning there like crazy, making deep tournament runs, etc.? I kinda doubt it.

Same with Scheyer at (for instance) Elon and then maybe Wake Forest?

Sometimes no resume at all is better I suppose.

I think he’s ultra smart, knows Lex, a top recruiter in the country, young, will be here a long time, and appears to coach outstanding defense. Think he’d turn into a home run.
I think you’ve been smoking crack. He’s done NOTHING other than recruit to suggest that he’d be a head coach ANYWHERE much less UK. “Knows Lex?” Ok so he can be an Uber driver. “Appears to coach good defense?” Lol, so did Cal.

giphy.gif
To be expected with such a garbage fan base! Basketball was the one sport you had to brag about at that trash university. Aaaaaaaaand Scott Drew turned you down. Sucks to suck.

EAD, wildcats! 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

I actually don't hate Pope. Most do- runs a super fun offense, would get way more talent here than at BYU, etc.

Far from my first choice, but the absolute outrage over Pope I don't quite understand
Remember when Drew’s name was first mentioned? Folks here thought him beneath us, but then a couple days later were lamenting that we couldn’t get him. We always at first disapprove of a new suggested coach …at least until we see our options being depleted.

Pope is a really smart guy, and a good guy, and seems to be a damn good coach. He’s just not what people think of as a UK caliber coach.

At least not until our options have been further depleted.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT