ADVERTISEMENT

Pope now a legit candidate - CBS

Yeah, we might lose the 1st game of the SEC tournament and the first game of the NCAA tournament with Pope........

You'll be insufferable if they hire Pope............. Hope he's our man.
Making the NCAA tournament with Pope might be a stretch.

People wanted Cal out so freaking bad they never thought about the possible consequences. It was definitely time for Cal to leave but if we end up with Mark Pope this would have gone about as bad as it possibly could.
Too many assumed we would get Oats. Not hard to track all those posts.

Reactions: CarolinaCatsFan
Why not? Like Jon Scheyer at Duke. Former player loyal to UK and a decent coach.

Decent? Wtf. We know there are good coaches, namely pearl and beard, that would come if offered. That Jesus freak needs to have any decision making process n this search taken away from him if he tried to offer pope the job.

I’d still cheer for the Cats and hope he surprises me, but yeah, this one feels like a stretch. I don’t think he’s done anything to prove he’s ready for this level, and at 51 isn’t as young as a lot of similarly unaccomplished coaches who you could at least hope for some drastic improvement from after a learning curve.

I’d rather have Pope than a lot of guys mentioned. Golden has been mentioned a lot. What credentials does Golden have that Pope doesn’t? And for the record i’d be fine with Golden as well. Where we screwed up is targeting Drew first.

Reactions: Balzac
Sorry, Mark. They don't mean it. They are just hangry and left alone at a keyboard.

Sometimes you have to get these guys before they go onto their P5 job and then don't want to leave.

I don't know what the hangup with Pope is, other than that he's still pretty inexperienced. But he got a Mormon school to compete in a B12 that was FAR above BYUs standards, got them into the tournament, pulled off some upsets this year.

What if Pope turns out to be a true top5 coach? Well now we have a guy in his early 50s who could coach here 20 years.

And if you're upset about this being "all we can get", then maybe this is your wake up call.

Mark Pope is 51 years old and has never won a game in NCAA tournament as a coach. He’s lost twice as a better seed, and that’s it. We HAVE TO be able to do better than that. Have to.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT