POLITICAL THREAD

How will they rule ??!

• YES - Qualified

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • NO - Disqualified

Votes: 9 18.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I hope the media doesn’t suppress the Russian hacks that will expose Joe Biden getting Hunter Biden a job at Burisma he wasn’t qualified for while making millions for de facto access to the Oval Office. It would be a shame if nobody knew about it, let us just hope journalists don’t suppress this.

Nancy-Pelosi-impeachment-pens-2-Associated-Press-640x480.jpg

If those are recycled syringes from the streets of San Francisco then this impeachment is not a total loss.

Reactions: TheFrontRunner
I’m done with Warren after pushing this Bernie nonsense. I’ve laughed along with y’all at some of the Pocahontas stuff but tried to give her the benefit of the doubt that it was just an honest mistake and her family really thought they had Native American roots. Plenty of families here in EKY have similar stories about their heritage that probably aren’t that accurate. But after this calculated and completely amoral attack right when her poll numbers were slipping all that goodwill’s gone. Giving this completely fabricated “story” to CNN for their debate is beyond shady. I expect that kind of behavior from corporatist CNN but you aren’t winning over progressive voters by joining the media in their douchebaggery.

The state of Wisconsin gave them the tax incentives. It isn’t a check, it’s tax forgiveness to build a plant, hire people, buy material to build plant. It is forgiveness on taxes the state currently isn’t receiving.
I don’t know the stipulations, but I would guess there are benchmarks to meet in order to receive those.
I may be wrong, but I believe solyndra was given federal money to kickstart the business. So they actually did get a check prior to startup.

Logic of people against tax incentives for multi-billion dollar businesses:

"I'd rather have 0% of whatever revenue multi-billion dollar Company XYZ brings in (plus all the ancillary taxes that are paid because of XYZ) than split some of that revenue with them as an incentive to get them to build here."

Also known as the AOC doctrine.

I want KY to forgive my taxes, OK? Why not? KY wouldn't be spending a penny on me. I'll buy a new car if they do & help the economy. More than fair treatment.

I like open fields. Way more scenic than a plant.

If you buying a new care made more economic sense for the state than luring in a multi billion dollar company, they'd probably make that deal. In reality though, it doesn't. Deal with it.

Reactions: rudd1
BULL-sh!t. Everyone should get the same tax breaks, not just favorites of government.
How can you still be stuck trying to understand?

Leaders of government jurisdictions--city, county, state--are willing to offer incentives to attract businesses that they believe will yield net positive tax revenues for the community. Government jurisdictions are willing to compete with one another and try to offer more enticing incentives to attract businesses. Same with sports franchises. Same with businesses who rehab and improve run-down areas.

You think that's unfair. That's nice. Pretty much everyone else sees that as a sound and proven strategy to improve the local economy.

Contact Ohio and tell them you want to move there, and ask them what they are willing to do to entice you to move there. They'll probably laugh at you, because you moving there would have an infinitesimal impact on the local economy. Businesses, on the other hand, bring jobs, and the people who come to fill those positions will beget housing, gas stations, restaurants, grocery stores, entertainment facilities, etc., and the tax revenues generated by the multiplier effect will offset the tax revenues foregone to attract the business.

Do you understand yet?

And it can't get here soon enough. I used to think the "refs will never let Cal win another championship thing" as conspiracy crap. But I'm starting to believe it. How many times do we have to watch us get completely screwed by the refs. Idc what anyone says the refs tonight wanted us to lose. Anyone else saying otherwise is blind.

Do you think Georgetown, KY is better off or worse off for incentivizing Toyota (TMMK) to build their plant in their community? What about the surrounding communities in Central Kentucky that built plants that supply the G-Town plant? Ton of people originally called MLC dumb for negotiating that deal. I say she knocked it out of the park. She now has a HS named after her in Shelby County where she grew up. I say they should have named the new HS in Scott County after her as well.

Some facts:

<> TMMK G-Town plant began operations in 1986.

<> As of 2006 (20 years after startup), the state of Kentucky wound up with a 36% ROI. That’s a 6% higher ROI than was originally calculated by a UK economics professor and much, much higher than anticipated by all of the opponents of the original deal...who thought the UK Econ professor’s estimate was insanely high.

<> In 1992, TMMK spent about $574 million on payrolls and auto parts from other companies in the state of Kentucky. In 1998 it spent $1.7 billion. (I don’t have more current numbers on that aspect but I’m sure it has only increased and will continue to do so.)

<> TMMK now employs over 10,000 employees (8,000+ full time) at the G-Town plant. Not to mention the dozens of local contractors that work at the facility around the clock all year long...and the thousands that are employed at multiple plants throughout Central KY that supply the Toyota plant...and the local trucking companies...and the local home builders...and the local retail boost...and the influx of new hotel & restaurant business...and on and on...

<> In 2017, TMMK spent $1.3 billion to upgrade the plant and added 700 more jobs.

<> Also In 2017, Toyota built an $80 million engineering & production design facility in G-Town which employs 600 engineers. The new facility is now their North American Engineering HQ.

<> Prior to that, they had a similar, but smaller engineering facility in Erlanger, KY. After moving that facility to G-Town...Toyota donated a big portion of the Erlanger building to a local HS to be used as a STEM facility for local students.

<> TMMK is currently spending $238 million more and adding 400 more jobs by adding two more production lines. Production for the Lexus hybrid has already began. Meanwhile, production for the RAV4 model will launch sometime this month or next.

<> In 1996 Scott Co. HS built a new building.

<> In 2019 they opened a 2nd HS in Scott Co. called Great Crossing HS...a $90 million state of the art project.

<> “Toyota didn’t build those schools!” - Obama

Incentives work. They bring jobs to local communities and they boost the local economies. They encourage companies to reinvest their profits back into their facilities in the communities that work with them and give them additional incentives to do so. Local governments just have to be smart when negotiating the terms.

Last edited:
I’m done with Warren after pushing this Bernie nonsense. I’ve laughed along with y’all at some of the Pocahontas stuff but tried to give her the benefit of the doubt that it was just an honest mistake and her family really thought they had Native American roots. Plenty of families here in EKY have similar stories about their heritage that probably aren’t that accurate. But after this calculated and completely amoral attack right when her poll numbers were slipping all that goodwill’s gone. Giving this completely fabricated “story” to CNN for their debate is beyond shady. I expect that kind of behavior from corporatist CNN but you aren’t winning over progressive voters by joining the media in their douchebaggery.

You have got to be shitting me. Now and only now you see how corrupt the media is?

Who the hell hacked your account.

Do you think Georgetown, KY is better off or worse off for incentivizing Toyota (TMMK) to build their plant in their community? What about the surrounding communities in Central Kentucky that built plants that supply the G-Town plant? Ton of people originally called MLC dumb for negotiating that deal. I say she knocked it out of the park. She now has a HS named after her in Shelby County where she grew up. I say they should have named the new HS in Scott County after her as well.

Some facts:

<> As of 2006 (20 years after startup), the state of Kentucky wound up with a 36% ROI. That’s a 6% higher ROI than was originally calculated by a UK economics professor and much, much higher than anticipated by all of the opponents of the original deal...who thought the UK Econ professor’s estimate was insanely high.

<> In 1992, TMMK spent about $574 million on payrolls and auto parts from other companies in the state of Kentucky. In 1998 it spent $1.7 billion. (I don’t have more current numbers on that aspect but I’m sure it has only increased and will continue to do so.)

<> TMMK now employs over 10,000 employees (8,000+ full time) at the G-Town plant. Not to mention the dozens of local contractors that work at the facility around the clock all year long...and the thousands that are employed at multiple plants throughout Central KY that supply the Toyota plant...and the local trucking companies...and the local home builders...and the local retail boost...and the influx of new hotel & restaurant business...and on and on...

<> In 2017, TMMK spent $1.3 billion to upgrade the plant and added 700 more jobs.

<> Also In 2017, Toyota built an $80 million engineering & production design facility in G-Town which employs 600 engineers. The new facility is now their North American Engineering HQ.

<> Prior to that, they had a similar, but smaller engineering facility in Erlanger, KY. After moving that facility to G-Town...Toyota donated a big portion of the Erlanger building to a local HS to be used as a STEM facility for local students.

<> TMMK is currently spending $238 million more and adding 400 more jobs by adding two more production lines. Production for the Lexus hybrid has already began. Meanwhile, production for the RAV4 model will launch sometime this month or next.

<> In 2019 they opened a 2nd HS in Scott Co. called Great Crossing HS...a $90 million state of the art project.

Incentives work. They bring jobs to local communities and they boost the local economies. They encourage companies to reinvest their profits back into their facilities in the communities that work with them and give them additional incentives to do so. Local governments just have to be smart when negotiating the terms.

On the flip side, my town helped secure an interest free loan meant to lure industry to lure...

a ****ing Mellow Mushroom.

If you buying a new care made more economic sense for the state than luring in a multi billion dollar company, they'd probably make that deal. In reality though, it doesn't. Deal with it.
What makes sense for the swamp doesn't need to make sense for me. I would care less what state that plant is in. Why should anyone?

I am dealing with it - by bitching here. You're doing same.

Glad you're happy but that did nothing for me.
Maybe not. But I’m guessing people in the area have more opportunity, higher quality stores, restaurants, parks, education and likely wage growth due to the success of the Toyota deal (and I’m also assuming they didn’t have taxes raised on them). Toyota produced, so they get the kick back. The deal in Wisconsin hasn’t produced, so that company hasn’t gotten jack from the state.

How can you still be stuck trying to understand?

Leaders of government jurisdictions--city, county, state--are willing to offer incentives to attract businesses that they believe will yield net positive tax revenues for the community. Government jurisdictions are willing to compete with one another and try to offer more enticing incentives to attract businesses. Same with sports franchises. Same with businesses who rehab and improve run-down areas.

You think that's unfair. That's nice. Pretty much everyone else sees that as a sound and proven strategy to improve the local economy.

Contact Ohio and tell them you want to move there, and ask them what they are willing to do to entice you to move there. They'll probably laugh at you, because you moving there would have an infinitesimal impact on the local economy. Businesses, on the other hand, bring jobs, and the people who come to fill those positions will beget housing, gas stations, restaurants, grocery stores, entertainment facilities, etc., and the tax revenues generated by the multiplier effect will offset the tax revenues foregone to attract the business.

Do you understand yet?
So I disagree & you & tons of others here hemp criticism. Y'all might as well be part of Antifa.

I totally understand & think it sucks across the board. I don't give an ish where plants are located. Benefit to me is the same. That states fight over who can spend the most/give up the most revenue to lure jobs is totally fk-ed. Government leaders laughing at you all the way to bank. They get theirs off the top & you don't mind being taken.

And you forgot bigoted...just like I'm sure their parents taught them. Trump supporters Marching for Life but have no respect for anyone outside the womb. I'm sure Jesus is impressed.

Over and over again the majority of Trump supporters show how bigoted and hateful they are.

82337299_155223935892128_8015189335533944832_n.jpg

You have got to be shitting me. Now and only now you see how corrupt the media is?

Who the hell hacked your account.
The crappiness of for profit media’s been one of the areas on which left and right have agreed for awhile. The critiques are just different. The right says media has a liberal bias, the left says it has a corporate bias. They’re both correct to varying degrees. The majority of networks are center-left socially because they’re pandering to the majority of the country, and every network is driven by the clicks, hits, views. Advertising and corporate sponsors. Money. Go google Noam Chomsky’s views on the media. And he sure as hell isn't a rightie. It’s only the centrists who don’t know any better who actually watch any of it.

Last edited:
I think it was 2018 that Georgetown was the second fastest growing town in America and obviously Toyota was the reason for that.
You know Toyota pulled a K of jobs out of NKy for TX a couple years back, now don't you? How did that help Ky? SUCKERS!

Maybe not. But I’m guessing people in the area have more opportunity, higher quality stores, restaurants, parks, education and likely wage growth due to the success of the Toyota deal (and I’m also assuming they didn’t have taxes raised on them). Toyota produced, so they get the kick back. The deal in Wisconsin hasn’t produced, so that company hasn’t gotten jack from the state.
Wouldn't that have happened in the area of the plant wherever it went?

Some facts:

They apparently worked in this case, but I don't trust government calculations, do you? I mean I thought Conserves were against big gov & big spending. But apparently not. Note that the Engineering facility just moved jobs from Erlanger to G-town.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT