ADVERTISEMENT

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE Coach Coen..............

catben

All-American
Sep 13, 2003
NO MORE SHORT QB's!!!!!!!!!!!

I am SOOOOOOO sick and tired of seeing the ball knocked down at the line of scrimmage!!!!!

Leary is short AND doesn't acknowledge that fact because he WON'T move in the pocket to find a passing lane!!!

He has to be the all-time UK leader in passes blocked in a season!!!

You’re acting like QB is our only problem. News flash.. we’re not good at anything!
It was a HUGE problem for this team!!!

Leary was NOT what he was billed to be coming in and played like CRAP this year as a whole.

A 50% completion rate is terrible!! He struggled with nearly EVERY aspect of the passing game. Did his receivers help with that by running crappy routes and dropping the ball, YES. But watching the film breakdown from EVERY game, he is NOT been even close to good.

Reactions: ala_kat2
Coen’s been a disappointment in my book this year. Not terrible or anything but if I’m honest I don’t feel like we’ve got some big advantage at the OC position. I think we should be honest that he’s not here because he missed coaching kids he’s here because Rams told him to take another opportunity.

Coen’s been a disappointment in my book this year. Not terrible or anything but if I’m honest I don’t feel like we’ve got some big advantage at the OC position. I think we should be honest that he’s not here because he missed coaching kids he’s here because Rams told him to take another opportunity.
Coen was terrible alright. This has been an awful offense similar to his first year here. Dude is extremely overrated.

Leary's 6'2", height is not the issue, it's vision. Hell, Bryce Young's 5'10", seems to do fine.
That's because Young KNOWS how to CREATE a passing lane to throw the football OVER, AROUND or THROUGH the D-LIne. But I'm just TIRED of seeing the ball blocked and Leary is NOT even 6'0., I don't care what he's listed at. To Coen's credit, the 2 HS recruited QB's are over 6'3

This is Groundhog Day with comments about our OC. What is the common denominator the past 11 years?

True but Coen called a terrible game tonight.
Probably his worst of the season.
Davis on the sidelines and continuous futile deep shots to Brown
Did he though? As for Davis not playing or getting many carries in the first half - do you know that’s on Coen? Or is there some weird internal shit going on with Davis b/c he announced he wouldnt be back next year during the week of game prep for USC?

The deep shots are on Leary’s reads - plus they were all open. If Leary puts more air under the ball we probably hit on 2 or 3 of those tonight.

As much as I didn’t want you to be right, I have to give some credit to the few of you who insisted at the beginning of the season the Coen was overrated and made to look better in 2021 by Wandale having a legendary season. He has his moments, mostly in the red zone, where our efficiency is legitimately good, but overall he’s been a disappointment relative to the hype this year.His system this year seems too complicated for college players to reliably run effectively since a big part of the reason we’re playing so slow seems to be the amount of time we spend in the huddle just getting a play in. If there’s any attempt to streamline things, it’s not showing up to me as a fan watching on TV yet.

The play calling in general has seemed suboptimal too. Too many stretches where we seemingly only either run the ball or take a deep heave down the sideline off play-action with little in between. Maybe Leary getting too many balls batted down has forced us away from using the middle of the field in the passing game, but it’s definitely noticeable that we don’t when you watch other teams play. We definitely need better from him if we have any chance at beating Louisville and salvaging anything worth being excited about for this season.

If Leary puts more air under the ball we probably hit on 2 or 3 of those tonight.

You can use the "if" excuse just about every game this season in regards to Leary and Brown on deep ball.
One of the two will screw it up.
It's been an extremely low value play all year.

If Leary puts more air under the ball we probably hit on 2 or 3 of those tonight.

You can use the "if" excuse just about every game this season in regards to Leary and Brown on deep ball.
One of the two will screw it up.
It's been an extremely low value play all year.
Barion Brown is not Randy Moss.
Devin Leary is not Daryle Lamonica.

Last edited:
Reactions: catben
I agree but dropped passes and missed throws killed us all year. Our backup QB is a useful as tits on a boar. We need a good QB that can lead, Leary is not a leader. IMO

Gonna defend him a bit. On at least 2 throws last night, BB effort wasn’t there. But the overall point is correct
Brown can’t leave fast enough. I assume he’s already trying to figure out where he’ll get the most NIL money next year.

This is Groundhog Day with comments about our OC. What is the common denominator the past 11 years?

This is all coen. We barely run the ball so you know stoops isn't involved in the play calling

Gonna defend him a bit. On at least 2 throws last night, BB effort wasn’t there. But the overall point is correct

Yes could've laid out for a few of these this year but didn't. Can't afford to underthrow to him at all because he won't leave his feet. Plus he's as likely to drop it as catch it as he showed later

The real issue is coen not using their talent correctly. Deep shots aren't Leary's game and brown is absolutely atrocious at trying to haul them in - so why on earth do we keep trying? Leary looks great on most every other throw. Stick with what he does well

Outside of one run Jefferson was much better than Davis tonight.
Why isn’t Key getting the long passes anymore he will at least fight for the ball like last year at UF - Brown gives you no chance - hell he slows down last 10 yards everytime - then trots off holding something
We run so many wasted plays like a stretch to the boundary - or passing backwards to Brown - BB hasn’t made a person miss or broke a tackle at UK
Where the hell has Cummings been all year? Looked great out there running routes - is it against the rules to have him & Dingle go out for passes together?

Leary's problem is he throw deep routes like intermediate routes and gives receivers practically no chance to track and adjust to the ball...yet Coen keeps dialing 'em up and wasting downs...

Reactions: crestcat and catben
Outside of one run Jefferson was much better than Davis tonight.
Why isn’t Key getting the long passes anymore he will at least fight for the ball like last year at UF - Brown gives you no chance - hell he slows down last 10 yards everytime - then trots off holding something
We run so many wasted plays like a stretch to the boundary - or passing backwards to Brown - BB hasn’t made a person miss or broke a tackle at UK
Where the hell has Cummings been all year? Looked great out there running routes - is it against the rules to have him & Dingle go out for passes together?
I've always thought BB slows down, too, when ball is in receiving range.

Yep.

We can’t fire Eddie Gran, again, and hope to solve these issues.

And ain’t it ironic: we’ve all groaned that we wish we’d run the ball more . . . . compare that to the Gran years as OC!!!
Problem is we try to force things to a fault and it’s hurt us, just seems like Coen overthinks things at times instead of sticking with what’s working. But he’s definitely set on hitting Brown on one go route before the season ends.

Yep.

We can’t fire Eddie Gran, again, and hope to solve these issues.

And ain’t it ironic: we’ve all groaned that we wish we’d run the ball more . . . . compare that to the Gran years as OC!!!

Just the nature of fans Hack, everywhere not just UK. When UGA losses the blame will fall on Bobo and he has been pretty good all year.

Reactions: The-Hack
To be fair, our receivers do him no favors. He overthrew BB in the endzone, but it sure looked like he could've stretched out and dove for it.

There are more than a few times brown could've laid out for the ball but won't. Other times instead of running through the route, he starts weirdly backpedaling trying to catch it. He just isn't a natural pass catcher. That's ok because he has several things he does well. We just need to stop trying to force it to him in a manner which he is completely incapable of performing.

Just the nature of fans Hack, everywhere not just UK. When UGA losses the blame will fall on Bobo and he has been pretty good all year.

It is but at UK there is an interesting dynamic that comes into play. Mumme really cast a wide net with all the attention and throwing the ball; plus some much needed wins (although in modest amount).

When he left and we had some hard years of program building under brooks which included under center and running the football for balance. All those fans wore "ditch Mitch and rich" shirts to games etc because they weren't entertained enough. They didn't really care about winning, they just wanted entertained.

We know because even when Gran as oc lead us to a 10 win season, some fans were still bitching about not being excited. Who the hell is disappointed with winning 10 games at UK?? Ultimately that ended the era of a guy that wouldn't have left. A guy that could adjust his offense to whatever personnel we had. Now part of him stepping down is because he kept loyalty to hinshaw who certainly didn't deserve it

All those mumme fans came back when they saw Levis throwing deep because the entertainment factor was back for them. That's why you basically never see these fans ever criticize Levis or coen. If you complete the deep ball, those fans love you; wins be damned. All while severely limiting the carries for one of the best backs in the nation cost us two games.

NO MORE SHORT QB's!!!!!!!!!!!

I am SOOOOOOO sick and tired of seeing the ball knocked down at the line of scrimmage!!!!!

Leary is short AND doesn't acknowledge that fact because he WON'T move in the pocket to find a passing lane!!!

He has to be the all-time UK leader in passes blocked in a season!!!
Part of that is his size, but most of it is his habit of staring down his target to where the Dlineman see it coming and know to get their hands up. He has some of Will in him in that he thinks he can always gun it in there so he stares down the receiver looking for that small window.

After 12 years, 4 OCs, no 1000 yd wrs, no 3000 yd/25+ td QBs...

It isn't an LC problem.

There are more than a few times brown could've laid out for the ball but won't. Other times instead of running through the route, he starts weirdly backpedaling trying to catch it. He just isn't a natural pass catcher. That's ok because he has several things he does well. We just need to stop trying to force it to him in a manner which he is completely incapable of performing.

It is but at UK there is an interesting dynamic that comes into play. Mumme really cast a wide net with all the attention and throwing the ball; plus some much needed wins (although in modest amount).

When he left and we had some hard years of program building under brooks which included under center and running the football for balance. All those fans wore "ditch Mitch and rich" shirts to games etc because they weren't entertained enough. They didn't really care about winning, they just wanted entertained.

We know because even when Gran as oc lead us to a 10 win season, some fans were still bitching about not being excited. Who the hell is disappointed with winning 10 games at UK?? Ultimately that ended the era of a guy that wouldn't have left. A guy that could adjust his offense to whatever personnel we had. Now part of him stepping down is because he kept loyalty to hinshaw who certainly didn't deserve it

All those mumme fans came back when they saw Levis throwing deep because the entertainment factor was back for them. That's why you basically never see these fans ever criticize Levis or coen. If you complete the deep ball, those fans love you; wins be damned. All while severely limiting the carries for one of the best backs in the nation cost us two games.

LC coming in cold, new QB, no all-time kicker, no top tier D overall or top 10 draft pick DE to get him more possessions and better field position and bail his ass out...won 10...Eddie had all that plus he wasn't new to the program or SEC...

Brooks' apex 8-win seasons were thanks to Joker/Sanders unleashing absolute hell fire with Andre and that crew. There was nothing "balanced" to it.

Everyone appreciates that CMS can recruit and develop a ground game and defense.

What absolutely infuriates people is that he is seemingly either content with or incapable of advancing beyond that with passing more aggressive offense in general.

If Joker Phillips can light up a score board with a kid from Radcliff Kentucky, nowhere near the ground game, defense, or just depth/talent in general as we've had in CMS...imagine what CMS can do with a passing game.

That's what folks are tired of. We're not tired of good running backs, good defense, or even some elements of ball control/field position football at the appropriate times. We're tired of stopping there...

After 12 years, 4 OCs, no 1000 yd wrs, no 3000 yd/25+ td QBs...

It isn't an LC problem.

LC coming in cold, new QB, no all-time kicker, no top tier D overall or top 10 draft pick DE to get him more possessions and better field position and bail his ass out...won 10...Eddie had all that plus he wasn't new to the program or SEC...

Brooks' apex 8-win seasons were thanks to Joker/Sanders unleashing absolute hell fire with Andre and that crew. There was nothing "balanced" to it.

Everyone appreciates that CMS can recruit and develop a ground game and defense.

What absolutely infuriates people is that he is seemingly either content with or incapable of advancing beyond that with passing more aggressive offense in general.

If Joker Phillips can light up a score board with a kid from Radcliff Kentucky, nowhere near the ground game, defense, or just depth/talent in general as we've had in CMS...imagine what CMS can do with a passing game.

That's what folks are tired of. We're not tired of good running backs, good defense, or even some elements of ball control/field position football at the appropriate times. We're tired of stopping there...

Stoops deserves tons of criticism but none of it related to the offense. That's 100% coen. Any attempt to project that on stoops is just mental gymnastics to avoid criticizing coen.

Why do most fans do anything it takes to avoid criticism of coen? It's one of the most bizarre things. He is in full control of the offense.

Stoops deserves tons of criticism but none of it related to the offense. That's 100% coen. Any attempt to project that on stoops is just mental gymnastics to avoid criticizing coen.

Why do most fans do anything it takes to avoid criticism of coen? It's one of the most bizarre things. He is in full control of the offense.

Fans avoid criticizing Coen cause he hasn't finished two full seasons, he hasn't been able fully recruit and develop his players to his system.

Fans would also be more apt to criticize him for offense issues if they just popped up. They've been around for 12 years.

Kind of a situation where you want to look at your friend who is having relationship issues having dated all sorts of people and he or she is like "well I just have bad luck...all these people have had all these issues...there's no good ones out there..."

Hey sweetheart after about 4-5 partners and the same issues keep popping up it ain't everyone else it's you.

Literally the same issues 13 years, 4 different OCs, systems, various offense staffs/position coaches...weak passing game, timid play calling, no big play making WRs, TEs no where to be found, can't come from behind, can't really sustain small leads...

That's not insignificant kind of surface level issue...that's systemic and something in the dna of the program.

You’re acting like QB is our only problem. News flash.. we’re not good at anything!
Absolutely. He has done remarkably well considering what his sorry receivers have done. Definitely not just one area of lacking on this team. Hearing CMS comments today don’t do much to suggest anything is going to change. Just as arrogant as ever. Bob needs to sit him down. He keeps that attitude up and he won’t survive another season. A cut in pay is what he should get.

Fans avoid criticizing Coen cause he hasn't finished two full seasons, he hasn't been able fully recruit and develop his players to his system.

Fans would also be more apt to criticize him for offense issues if they just popped up. They've been around for 12 years.

Kind of a situation where you want to look at your friend who is having relationship issues having dated all sorts of people and he or she is like "well I just have bad luck...all these people have had all these issues...there's no good ones out there..."

Hey sweetheart after about 4-5 partners and the same issues keep popping up it ain't everyone else it's you.

Literally the same issues 13 years, 4 different OCs, systems, various offense staffs/position coaches...weak passing game, timid play calling, no big play making WRs, TEs no where to be found, can't come from behind, can't really sustain small leads...

That's not insignificant kind of surface level issue...that's systemic and something in the dna of the program.

You're proving my point. Look at the mental gymnastics to avoid blaming him. Coen has three years of recruiting, because yes they are all his. Scang came too late and left too early to recruit. So all these guys are his, except maybe 4 guys (2 of which start).

Blame should definitely fall on the players. Other than our lack of pace, the scheme is excellent. Plays are definitely there but guys (mostly wrs) failed miserably.

But if fans are going to blame a coach for the offense, which they love to do, it needs to be coen. Because it's his baby.

Reactions: The-Hack
Coen is trying to run an offense that hasn't seen much success outside of teams that recruit mostly five stars. Stoops likes it because it kills the clock. Coen had a NFL starter at QB and WR his first go around. Not been so good in round two.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT