ADVERTISEMENT

Please make it stop!

Kybluedude

All-SEC
Nov 19, 2005
Enough is enough. Talent fee.

Difficult to watch tuition continue to rise and teachers salaries stagnate but these “student” athletes - many who can’t put 2 sentences together- get more and more public money to play a lesser style of pro ball.

Just my opinion. I split a pair of UK season bball txs and I guess it’s a matter of time.

Curious when fans finally say no.

I assume you're referring to the news out of TN that their AD, White, has started charging a "talent acquisition fee." He has vested interest in that, he recently gave himself a massive pay hike. He's made Tony the Pony the highest paid college baseball coach, he's instituted a $50K immediate paycheck to OL recruits. He's spending money like a bar-hopping sailor on pay day. One day this will all blow up in his face, hope I'm still living when it does.

I assume you're referring to the news out of TN that their AD, White, has started charging a "talent acquisition fee." He has vested interest in that, he recently gave himself a massive pay hike. He's made Tony the Pony the highest paid college baseball coach, he's instituted a $50K immediate paycheck to OL recruits. He's spending money like a bar-hopping sailor on pay day. One day this will all blow up in his face, hope I'm still living when it does.

Best AD in SEC now. Results in every sport.

Tony the pony?…😂….national champ coach

I’ll pay extra 10% for these results

The AD can give themselves a raise?

But I agree with the point of this thread. It's why I barely think about going to games these days. And I definitely wouldn't go to college if I was of that age. Tuition has far outpaced the value. And companies know it. Many are dropping the degree requirements for higher paying jobs.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Former Michigan football stars Denard Robinson and Braylon Edwards are suing the NCAA and Big Ten Network with other former Wolverines players, claiming they lost out on more than $50 million during their college careers because of the association’s now-lifted ban on athletes being compensated for name, image and likeness.

The federal class-action antitrust lawsuit, dated Monday, was filed in the Eastern District of Michigan on behalf of all Michigan football players who played before 2016. It also includes former Wolverines players Mike Martin and Shawn Crable as plaintiffs.

The NCAA and major college conferences are in the process of trying to settle three antitrust lawsuits related to athlete compensation for name, image and likeness. They have a settlement agreement in place to pay $2.78 billion in damages to hundreds of thousands of college athletes, dating back to 2016.

It is the "cost of doing business". If you want to be big dogs on the block, you have to spend money and then find ways to recoup it. Not saying it is "OK", but I get it. Right NOW, UT athletics is better than UK's top to bottom. They are getting the players it takes to win. Now I will go puke.

How much is the talent fee on tix?

It’s kind of crazy that we went from let them sign a few autographs for cash to talent fees on tix. But I guess if people keep paying these ridiculous prices, teams will continue to squeeze a few extra dollars from fans.

The AD can give themselves a raise?

But I agree with the point of this thread. It's why I barely think about going to games these days. And I definitely wouldn't go to college if I was of that age. Tuition has far outpaced the value. And companies know it. Many are dropping the degree requirements for higher paying jobs.
Re AD/raise....once White/Chumlee convinced the airhead Plow-person it was legal to buy your QB for $8M it was all bets are off and the money spigot started flowing. Of course, TN's had to raise tuition but what the hell?

Re AD/raise....once White/Chumlee convinced the airhead Plow-person it was legal to buy your QB for $8M it was all bets are off and the money spigot started flowing. Of course, TN's had to raise tuition but what the hell?
I still don't think an AD can approve their own raise. Basically, almost nobody can do that except the government.

Reactions: Orange_N_White
So, we went very quickly from 'student athletes' to highly paid performers. Wonder how the rank and file fan who makes $60k a year is gonna feel about old State U when the 18-year old kids are raking in $100s of thousands every year as time goes on. You know tickets, parking, concessions, 'talent fees', etc. are only going to go up because, if TN is paying $20M/yr for NIL, well then Auburn will pay $25M. And then Michigan will pay $30M and USC will pay $40M. Where does this end? Will CFB become MLB where the richest handful of teams can buy the best players from other teams to make sure they're heavy favorites for the playoffs every year (nothing is guaranteed in these situations, of course)? Are fans now allowed to boo players, especially those making big bucks like they do in the pro leagues?

Surely, at some point, these CFB programs will run out of idiotic rich folks who have so much money and so little self-esteem that they feel the need to give a kid 6- or 7-figures per year to play a sport at their alma mater (would LOVE to see cost/benefit analysis of THAT transaction!). How many years will pretty much the same 12 or 15 teams make the playoffs (and much of that will correlate to NIL spending) before the national fanbase quits watching in droves? We'll see.

So, we went very quickly from 'student athletes' to highly paid performers. Wonder how the rank and file fan who makes $60k a year is gonna feel about old State U when the 18-year old kids are raking in $100s of thousands every year as time goes on. You know tickets, parking, concessions, 'talent fees', etc. are only going to go up because, if TN is paying $20M/yr for NIL, well then Auburn will pay $25M. And then Michigan will pay $30M and USC will pay $40M. Where does this end? Will CFB become MLB where the richest handful of teams can buy the best players from other teams to make sure they're heavy favorites for the playoffs every year (nothing is guaranteed in these situations, of course)? Are fans now allowed to boo players, especially those making big bucks like they do in the pro leagues?

Surely, at some point, these CFB programs will run out of idiotic rich folks who have so much money and so little self-esteem that they feel the need to give a kid 6- or 7-figures per year to play a sport at their alma mater (would LOVE to see cost/benefit analysis of THAT transaction!). How many years will pretty much the same 12 or 15 teams make the playoffs (and much of that will correlate to NIL spending) before the national fanbase quits watching in droves? We'll see.
That's just it, this is not sustainable. The TNs of the world will eventually crash and burn then beg some overseer/entity to bail them out, save them from bankruptcy. The blowback from this will be severe to the offending schools.

I have not been to a football game in years what does it cost to go now not midfield great seats but is there an average cost (not top of the bleachers either). I probably would never go to another college game because I am approaching 70. But I would never do NIL because I think it is a bad investment idea. But what do seats cost now?

$8M QB, $25M team....money talks, bullshit walks. You're on the clock for NC/Heisman...people expect results after cutting into their meth funds.

Sec tourney champs in basketball
Sec and national champs in baseball
Top 10 in football

Yeah, he’s awful and on the clock 😂

Your hate is blinding you

Reactions: White Wolf
Georgia governor just signed into law NIL bill allowing UGA making direct payments to players. No NCAA RULES enforcement can punish UGA.

It’s not sustainable but eventually there will be a framework put together by the schools to handle it. They however have to wait till all the court cases play out before they can even start that conversation.

In the meantime schools can do whatever they want and no there will not be any blow back against these schools.

I don’t really care for this new era of college football though the kids deserve to be paid in some way imo.

I do think Mitch is a bad AD/business person for how he is handling it. Right now an AD has an ability to transform his program in any sport by letting fans/donors pump $$$ into it. If your fans/donors are willing to foot the bill, then the AD should let them.

I’m not willing to foot that bill personally as I see a whole lot of better ways to improve my family or my community with my money.

Reactions: Jeff Sykes
I’ve reverted to going to my old HS team’s games on Friday night. Pregame prior to the game, 2 hour game, quality ball and home in 10 minutes post game.
Young athletes playing hard for the fun of the game. True team sport.

Watch UK on tv Sat along with a couple other games. And I will say I had season football txs for multiple decades.

Still split season UK basketball txs for the time being but that may be coming to an end.

Not going to subsidize lower level pro sports and the greed. Feel bad for the regular college families that see rising prohibitive costs while players, coaches and athletic administrators show so much greed. Getting where I can take or leave college sports.

Even feel some sympathy for ut fans who scrape together money for tickets getting asked to help an ego inflated athletic dept to pay players salaries while the school showcases the lavish lifestyle their players. Cmon enough is enough

Greed killed the game. And that goes from schools, NCAA AND the players. We're watching the chairs get rearranged on the Titanic.

Top 10 in football

I never said he's awful, he's done a great job. He's been given a free hand and he's taking advantage of it. He's created financing by funneling his SEC TV money into NIL, give him credit for that. And he's spending like a drunken sailor bar-hopping on payday. It'll come crashing down someday. And yes, White's on the clock...he better produce a football NC THIS YEAR and a Heisman for Rico or Harpo or Mako or whatever his name is THIS YEAR or pockets get tighter next go around. Enjoy the ride, I know you will, but you're speeding downhill without brakes.

Reactions: CGblue
America is the only country where sports and academics are at the same institution. They are pros now and should be separated from Academia. There should be a draft and salary caps, just like other pro leagues.

Reactions: Kybluedude
It’s not sustainable but eventually there will be a framework put together by the schools to handle it. They however have to wait till all the court cases play out before they can even start that conversation.

In the meantime schools can do whatever they want and no there will not be any blow back against these schools.

I don’t really care for this new era of college football though the kids deserve to be paid in some way imo.

I do think Mitch is a bad AD/business person for how he is handling it. Right now an AD has an ability to transform his program in any sport by letting fans/donors pump $$$ into it. If your fans/donors are willing to foot the bill, then the AD should let them.

I’m not willing to foot that bill personally as I see a whole lot of better ways to improve my family or my community with my money.
There is a framework being put into place, and what Tennessee is doing is within that framework.

As part of the House settlement, schools will be able to share revenue up to a certain amount with student athletes. So if schools want to fund the full revenue share amount, they will either need to cut spending in other areas or raise additional revenue.

Tennessee is choosing to raising their ticket prices to fund the revenue sharing amount.

Top 10 in football

Oh how cute. You won a SEC Title in basketball. Precious. We have THIRTY ONE of those. And FOURTY-NINE regular season titles. You can’t Hold’em a dman match to us there much less a candle.

Call us when you have one stinking FF to your name.

As far as football, your acting like us struggling is anything new. You’re not insulting us lol.

And while baseball is fun in the moment, not many people are gonna care in the long run.

This seems unsustainable, however watching our government lurch to another trillion dollars
On the deficit each year,I guess anything is possible. I still can't understand why players aren't considered University employees since we pay them. Its the wild west right now

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT