ADVERTISEMENT

Playing zone does not prepare our guys for the NBA.

Ban yourself now troll. This program is all about getting these grow men ready for there careers in the NBA. If that means going to the NIT and losing in the first round then you better be happy with it. You can always go root for a program that's main priority is winning titles or you can shut your mouth and be a true Kentucky Basketball fan. God Bless Cal. God bless the NBA draft and nothing else.
Yep, lots of kool aid drinkers on here, or I should it be called Cal aid?

It's not just a Cal thing as so many assume. Kentucky coaches don't play much zone and that's because they generally have the more talented team and the most important part is that m2m is a better defense.

Reactions: brianpoe
Zone today gave up a lot of offensive rebounds a fact often ignored by the zone lovers.

Now would this team be better playing zone? Only if it went to it exclusively and worked on it.

Players are not quick enough to play man. Not one player has the quicks to turn his man. That is not going to change.

On offense we have good players but no star. Against the better teams, they will always have the best player on the floor.

Cal's approach is flawed when a HS class is weak and he doesn't get the best of that class. And this year no one of import was coming back. A perfect storm.

Our fans are too selfish to realize that Calipari is doing right by our players in getting them ready for the next level.

Playing zone doesn't serve our guys.
Is he the coach of University of Kentucky or a NBA Coach? His salary comes from UK. Enough said! Do what it takes to win dang it!

Reactions: Steelcurtain66
OP made so many of you look very stupid in this thread....

“I went to UK not the U of NBA Team”. LOL

“I don’t care about the NBA!!!!!!!”

Seriously? You simple minded fools.

Glad to see Cut-nets and other trolls liking posts again.

Btw, if Cut likes your posts it was absolutely terrible.

Is he the coach of University of Kentucky or a NBA Coach? His salary comes from UK. Enough said! Do what it takes to win dang it!

If you don’t know what you are talking about you might want to keep quiet.

UK the school doesn’t pay Cal’s salary.

That's great but no one really cares unles you can get to the last weekend and win it all. This team isn't doing that this year.

Only one team can win it each year if someone is a title or don’t care then they kinda suck as a fan... JMHO

Dumbest post of the day. If a zone defense is the only thing working and clearly the only chance we have to win, then that's what cal needs to do. Playing zone in order to not lose a game is not going to screw these players up for the next level, playing a zone isn't going to effect anyone's draft stock, the only harm in playing zone is giving us a better chance to win. I'm all for this preparing players for the next level stuff..... to an extent. When you're sacrificing games because you refuse to play a zone until you're down 12 points when playing a zone for a damned game isn't gonna cost a single player a single dollar off a contract then it absolutely makes zero sense. I'd actually argue playing zone might help the draft stock of some players, if you can hide green's horrendous defense by playing a zone and save him some money by scouts not getting a feel for how truly bad he is on D then why not do it?

If us playing zone gives us the best chance to win a championship come tournament time and if cal still isn't doing it under the excuse it won't prepare them for the next level I'll be truly irrate. I mean it's not gonna cost a single player a single dime on a contract playing a damned zone defense for a couple damned games. You can play man in tons of games all you want. But once it's a must win situation and if he still refuses to play zone with by far the team best equipped to play a zone in the Cal era then I'll be speechless. No one has shown the ability to score on our zone defense. So if we're not running a zone come tournament time then someone a reporter anyone needs to call Cal out and point out the fact he won't be costing any single player a single dime on a contract by playing zone. The most talented players they'll go against is themselves they can practice man and prepare themselves as a one on one defender in practice all damned day every day. There's only 35-40 games a year though and if you're playing to lose over something that won't cost a single player a dime then someone needs to say something because at that point if it's still happening it'll just sound like a petty excuse.

What's costing the player more money? Getting burned play after play by getting beat off the dribble by a player that'll never sniff the nba. Or scouts not seeing the player get burned time after time by hiding the weakness with a zone defense. What's preparing the player better? Playing man defense vs a much more talented player who'll play in the NBA in practice. Or playing man against someone that'll never sniff the League in a game and ultimately costing your team the game at the same time? I truly don't get it. Hopefully by tournament time this nonsense won't continue and he'll coach to win as apposed to coaching by 'preparing' players better by playing a type of defense that won't help or hurt there draft stock in anyway. Getting burned off the dribble hurts your stock if anything, so one could argue hiding that weakness would make the player more money. I feel like it's more important to get the player there and secure that first contract as apposed to the player not possibly getting there because scouts are worried about woeful man defense they saw from said player all season.

But who am I to say anything I'm just another idiot with an opinion that doesn't know anything.

Last edited:
Dumbest post of the day. If a zone defense is the only thing working and clearly the only chance we have to win, then that's what cal needs to do. Playing zone in order to not lose a game is not going to screw these players up for the next level, playing a zone isn't going to effect anyone's draft stock, the only harm in playing zone is giving us a better chance to win. I'm all for this preparing players for the next level stuff..... to an extent. When you're sacrificing games because you refuse to play a zone until you're down 12 points when playing a zone for a damned game isn't gonna cost a single player a single dollar off a contract then it absolutely makes zero sense. I'd actually argue playing zone might help the draft stock of some players, if you can hide green's horrendous defense by playing a zone and save him some money by scouts not getting a feel for how truly bad he is on D then why not do it?

If us playing zone gives us the best chance to win a championship come tournament time and if cal still isn't doing it under the excuse it won't prepare them for the next level I'll be truly irrate. I mean it's not gonna cost a single player a single dime on a contract playing a damned zone defense for a couple damned games. You can play man in tons of games all you want. But once it's a must win situation and if he still refuses to play zone with by far the team best equipped to play a zone in the Cal era then I'll be speechless. No one has shown the ability to score on our zone defense. So if we're not running a zone come tournament time then someone a reporter anyone needs to call Cal out and point out the fact he won't be costing any single player a single dime on a contract by playing zone. The most talented players they'll go against is themselves they can practice man and prepare themselves as a one on one defender in practice all damned day every day. There's only 35-40 games a year though and if you're playing to lose over something that won't cost a single player a dime then someone needs to say something because at that point if it's still happening it'll just sound like a petty excuse.

What's costing the player more money? Getting burned play after play by getting beat off the dribble by a player that'll never sniff the nba. Or scouts not seeing the player get burned time after time by hiding the weakness with a zone defense. What's preparing the player better? Playing man defense vs a much more talented player who'll play in the NBA in practice. Or playing man against someone that'll never sniff the League in a game and ultimately costing your team the game at the same time? I truly don't get it. Hopefully by tournament time this nonsense won't continue and he'll coach to win as apposed to coaching by 'preparing' players better by playing a type of defense that won't help or hurt there draft stock in anyway. Getting burned off the dribble hurts your stock if anything, so one could argue hiding that weakness would make the player more money. I feel like it's more important to get the player there and secure that first contract as apposed to the player not possibly getting there because scouts are worried about woeful man defense they saw from said player all season.

But who am I to say anything I'm just another idiot with an opinion that doesn't know anything.
God bless you my new friend. Just when I was sure that I'd got too damn old to get drunk twice in one day. Cheers, bitches!

I went to UK not the U of NBA Team”. LOL

Best part of threads like this is when the sarcasm bumpers also go over everybody's heads. Johnblue's add-ons got someone to post a pic of Carmelo holding fresh ink after the 'cuse title. Friggin hilarious work.

If any of these players get to the NBA and become stars I extremely doubt that they're gonna credit any of it when asked about it and say something like 'well a big reason for me getting to this point is that back when I was in college cal would have us run a man defense vs far less superior players during games and here I am today, more prepared than I ever would've been had we played a zone for just a few must win games, even though we had a million practices where we could practice man defense vs players of the same level as me, it was the games vs far less superior players when we played man that got me prepared the way I am today'

Ban yourself now troll. This program is all about getting these grow men ready for there careers in the NBA. If that means going to the NIT and losing in the first round then you better be happy with it. You can always go root for a program that's main priority is winning titles or you can shut your mouth and be a true Kentucky Basketball fan. God Bless Cal. God bless the NBA draft and nothing else.
I truly died of laughter at this post. Good job brother.

And if the op was sarcasm then I apologize hard to read sarcasm sometimes this is just a touchy area for me it truly grind my gears.

Mmmm, no. OP was dead serious. Know him personally. Good dude, but an asshole with no sense of humor. Sarcasm never. grind away.

Our fans are too selfish to realize that Calipari is doing right by our players in getting them ready for the next level.

And here is the best pot stirrer on the board..Comes to visit when our teams lose.

We gave up to many open threes and shot too many threes. Should have been attacking the basket the whole game. This also would have been a good way to get Welsh on the bench with foul trouble. I think we should have zone pressed the whole game. Oh well
That’s Coaching, or lack thereof

Reactions: Leafroot
I went to the University Of Kentucky. I did not attend the university of the detroit pistons. Or the college of the knicks or lakers etc. I could give a rats ass what the pro games needs. I want what's best for UK period!

Touch the NBA.

Yeah, a lot of selfish fans only care about winning, that's all secondary - it's all about realizing dreams!

How many times under Cal has UK fans panicked and wrote off the team early in the season only to be proven wrong in March. Hell, last year we were a horribly officiated game and a fluky last shot away from another Final Four. With Calipari teams, it’s a process. It is largely of no benefit to hide a team’s defensive flaws early in the season by playing zone. In fact, these guys will need to be great man to man defenders for a potential deep run. Every game they play is a learning lesson that will posture them for late season success. I do think we all can admit this has the potential for being a down year, which is a result of the system Cal has put in place. That said, I think we can assume most of these guys will be back next year, and with great talent coming in, could be reminiscent of the 2015 team.

OP made so many of you look very stupid in this thread....

“I went to UK not the U of NBA Team”. LOL

“I don’t care about the NBA!!!!!!!”

Seriously? You simple minded fools.

Glad to see Cut-nets and other trolls liking posts again.

I had to delete one of my posts because of what you mentioned. I was just debating with another poster about zone defenses in general. I don't care if we zone or play man to man as long as we play good defense. You're correct though, when certain people like your posts you better delete or edit what you have said if it can be misinterpreted to meet the agenda of the trolls.

Playing zone vs a 3-pt shooting team? K.
It's a myth that you cant zone a 3pt shooting team ... See what Buzz had to say about that... If a zone is working like it was vs UCLA you stick with it till they shoot you out of it

Absolutely. If we never won a single game, but each player was drafted, I would be ecstatic.
That would be the perfect season for me.

I’ve gotten to the point that I don’t even watch the games anymore, the only thing I care about watching is draft night. I always set up a tent in the driveway and tailgate there for a week before the big night.

I have my generator and TV set up. I watch past drafts over and over again so the excitement builds up until the draft broadcast comes on.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
You know what my favorite is? When you spend countless hours invested in a team. And we struggle for most of the season, and we STILL, STILL put three players in the first round. It always makes the NBA more fun the following season knowing we have at least three more rookies in the league. I watch the games just so I can see what the future of abunch of different NBA teams is going to be the following season. Screw college ball. If you all think college ball matters to anyone then you're clearly sh***ing yourselves. I mean, the greatest day in UK basketball history was the draft night one year when we put 5 or 6 players in the first round how soon do we all forget that? This fanbase is just abunch of posers.

If we're running ANY type of system that isn't solely benefiting the players by preparing them for the league and instead trying to win games then that's what we like to call counter productive, and you all are over here wanting to be counter productive? Not me, I'm looking forward. Forward to the future of the NBA. That's what really matters when all is said and done especially when you only have 2 or 3 out of 12 future NBA players on the roster and when most of your roster is returning the following season.

What do you think us fans are gonna remember most when Cal is done here at UK? The 70-100 NBA players he put in the league, or that one title in 2012? Stop being selfish and start realizing the goals of our program. Abunch of fools on this forum I tell you what. TROLLS!

Last edited:
Final four or better in over 50 percent of his seasons here. The only NCAA tourney he didn't perform was in 16 when we were misseaded. WCS doesn't get hurt in 14 we win it all. If Poy doesn't get hurt we win in 15 and probably go undeafeted. Yet people not only fall for the trolls they jump on the band wagon. They don't even realize the trolls don't even believe their own crap.

Reactions: kev69 and brianpoe
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT