ADVERTISEMENT

Platoon in the backcourt?

Oct 30, 2009
I'm a fan of all 4 guards. I'm actually for a platoon system in back court. Each of these duos make up for something the other lacks - and they can groove their games if they play major minutes together.

Start Green and Quickly - one tall, one not. Both good shooters. I think Green plays better off the ball but is better matched with a tall PG to help against taller guards. Okay defenders.

Then sub in Hagans and Herro - you get a lock down defender, with an okay defender, and a great outside shooter with a driver and disher.

makes sense to me.

Honestly I could see this being what Cal does. He won't do the 5 for 5 thing again due to the stigma with the word platooning, but he will probably sub 2 for 2 with the guards and big men.

Honestly I could see this being what Cal does. He won't do the 5 for 5 thing again due to the stigma with the word platooning, but he will probably sub 2 for 2 with the guards and big men.

Stigma isn’t the reason he won’t. He won’t bc there is a big difference between Montgomery and our other front court players. He won’t bc we need some guys on the floor 30 min. He’s gonna have rotations and we will go about 8 deep with the last two getting spot minutes.

Herro is a 2/3 he doesn’t need to be platooned.

Yep, this is why I think Herro probably fits best coming off the bench. He can play either the 2 or the 3, whichever position needs subbed in first. He just seems like a really good fit for that sixth man scorer role (kinda like how Villanova used Divincenzo).

And, btw, this whole guard shuffle thing could get even more confusing if it turns out that J'marl Baker is also good. What if it turns out that he's also deserving of serious minutes?

Last edited:
Yep, this is why I think Herro probably fits best coming off the bench. He can play either the 2 or the 3, whichever position needs subbed in first. He just seems like a really good fit for that sixth man scorer role (kinda like how Villanova used Divincenzo).

And, btw, this whole guard shuffle thing could get even more confusing if it turns out that J'marl Baker is also good. What if it turns out that he's also deserving of serious minutes?

Look past 15 and back to 95-97 (the healthy version) for a model.
It used to just be called a deep rotation. Sometimes even five for five. Sometimes 11, 12, 13 and even walk ons played too.
It's nothing that wacky, we've managed this number of meaningful contributors and more before.

I'm a fan of all 4 guards. I'm actually for a platoon system in back court. Each of these duos make up for something the other lacks - and they can groove their games if they play major minutes together.

Start Green and Quickly - one tall, one not. Both good shooters. I think Green plays better off the ball but is better matched with a tall PG to help against taller guards. Okay defenders.

Then sub in Hagans and Herro - you get a lock down defender, with an okay defender, and a great outside shooter with a driver and disher.

makes sense to me.

Agreed.

Definitely like Herro off the bench. He can come in at the 2 or 3. And I like him paired with Hagans.

So Cal can bring them in for any two of Green, Quickley, and Johnson.

I also wonder if Baker can work his way into the conversation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT