ADVERTISEMENT

Pitino paving his return

Cal winning another title would put him past Pitino in my book but as it currently stands the Pitino years were better. Cutthroat go for the jugular basketball. Absolutely loved watching his teams. Winning a second natty would go a long way for Cal though.

It doesn’t necessarily put him past pitino for me. Cal still would have an NIT appearance and a 9-16 season against him without the hindrance of probation.

In 6 tournament eligible seasons at UK, Pitino was never lower than a 3 seed and lost before the E8 only once. Cal has been a 4 seed twice, a 5 seed, an 8 seed, and missed the tournament all together twice in 12 tournament eligible seasons. His lack of regular season consistency is an issue. Hes had 4 seasons with double digit losses. He’s managed to balance that out with 2 very unlikely post season runs as a 4 seed and an 8 seed. But that was nearly a decade ago and he’s since shown those are the exceptions rather than the rule.

Pitino never lost more than 7 games in a tourney eligible season. Cal has managed to lose more than 7 in 7 of his 13 years here.

Again, that lack of regular season consistency has killed us in a lot of ways. It’s hurt our chances at a one seed, it’s allowed kansas to take the all time wins lead, and it’s caused us to constantly have to try and fight through stacked draws in march.

Last edited:
You just hate Calipari man and that is ok, to each their own (btw you were supposed to quit calling him Cal, you said that yourself). At this point they are pretty much equal in performance... but I can tell you this, Cal has never screwed UK like Pitino did and this is coming from a guy/kid that grew up in his era.

The fact that UK has never once been mentioned in any of the sh*t Pitino drug UL through is a credit to him or his ability to hide stuff.

Kudos either way, he didn't ditch or screw UK, helps the state more than any coach at UK ever and has won alot (albeit should have more titles).

I'm not hating on you just telling you how it is. I'm going to let Cal write his final chapter because it is going to be a good ending.

you just hate cal!!!

I’m serious it’s got to be the most lazy nonsense this board throws around. I mean lazy isn’t the word for it. Go back to 2016 and before. The only person here that had an issue with Calipari was probably cut nets. Can you correlate anything there? Answer the question, why did suddenly the love affair with John Calipari end sometime after 2016? Was everyone lying and pretending they liked him before then?

I can assure you I knew more about Calipari and was n the Calipari bandwagon long before you. I also like winning which he doesn’t do now and I won’t make excuses for him like some.

I usually always call him Calipari. Cal is a stupid nickname that doesn’t even make sense. It’s gotten extremely annoying too. His name is John. His last name is Calipari.

You are in a vast minority across college basketball if you believe Calipari is a better basketball coach than Pitino all things considered. He’s not.

Last edited:
In what way? Pition and Cal both took over a sh*t shows.

Pitino went to 3 FF's and won a title in '96 (8 years)

Cal went to 4 FF's and won a title in '12 (6 years)

Make assumptions if you want. I would assume Pitino wouldn't have the draught Cal has had but it is plausible. We are talking about a guy who ditched UK, flipped us the bird, impregnated his goomah and essentially landed UL the modern death sentence.

Both are great coaches though. Just don't see the by far the best thing....nonsense.

See the thing is you’re admitting the reason for your belief is you just hate Pitino. Birds and Boston have nothing to do with who’s the better basketball mind. That’s clearly Pitino. We might not like it but Calipari is a walking joke across college basketball as far as his basketball mind. He’s a salesman, Pitino is a basketball coach. You’ve got national analyst that believe Pitino is in the conversation for one of the greatest basketball minds ever dude. Ever.

I really think at times some people really don’t understand what’s going on when we’re talking about a topic like this. The arrogance that the all pro Calipari fan club manifests is pretty weird too, because it’s not a guess. If you believe he’s a better basketball coach, basketball innovator, and basketball mind than Pitino you’re almost on an island. Not many serious college basketball consumers or professionals in the business believe it. So I’m always confused as to why the Calipari fans (as opposed to UK fans, college basketball fans etc) are so arrogant about that position? You should almost say it quietly with your head down man lol.

You hate Pitino and that’s okay. But if we’re talking substance then talk substance. But most people understand Calipari is no Rick Pitino, so at least admit you don’t have the high ground. Acting as if you’re taking a well believed position is not true.

Last edited:
You do know an impressive number of words. You just always put them in the stupidest order.

When a nut job like MDWildcats55 likes your post, just know you’re at the bottom of the barrel. This guy is pure chicken shit that’s so dazed by Calipari’s swag he’s even said he would lose and not care as long as Calipari keeps his job. Yea.

So as long as you 3 or 4 idiots are totally against me, I’m right where I need to be.

Reactions: ftp000
See the thing is you’re admitting the reason for your belief is you just hate Pitino. Birds and Boston have nothing to do with who’s the better basketball mind. That’s clearly Pitino. We might not like it but Calipari is a walking joke across college basketball as far as his basketball mind. He’s a salesman, Pitino is a basketball coach. You’ve got national analyst that believe Pitino is in the conversation for one of the greatest basketball minds ever dude. Ever.

I really think at times some people really don’t understand what’s going on when we’re talking about a topic like this. The arrogance that the all pro Calipari fan club manifests is pretty weird too, because it’s not a guess. If you believe he’s a better basketball coach, basketball innovator, and basketball mind than Pitino you’re almost on an island. Not many serious college basketball consumers or professionals in the business believe it. So I’m always confused as to why the Calipari fans (as opposed to UK fans, college basketball fans etc) are so arrogant about that position? You should almost say it quietly with your head down man lol.

You hate Pitino and that’s okay. But if we’re talking substance then talk substance. But most people understand Calipari is no Rick Pitino, so at least admit you don’t have the high ground. Acting as if you’re taking a well believed position is not true.

I don't hate Pitino at all. Appreciate what he did here. He was the coach I grew up with as a fan. Doesn't change anything I stated above. I stated facts.

Reactions: chroix
I don't hate Pitino at all. Appreciate what he did here. He was the coach I grew up with as a fan. Doesn't change anything I stated above. I stated facts.

Youre in a vast minority. I’d rather hear what your favorite scary movie is.

Good morning by the way.

Do you really think I'm a Calipari fan over a UK fan? Or is there a chance that I'm level headed and can see where both guys have achieved great things?

Cal has a small window opening here where things appear to be going better. He has to pull the window up and shove UK back through.

My whole point is Cals run over his first six years here were as great as Pitinos first 8. Both had great moments and both choked away opportunities to do more.

Pitino walked away and then went astray.

Calipari needs to fix his mess and right the ship.

That's it, this isn't some sort of Cal love fest. Not that hard to figure out. You went way deeper than what this is about. Both guys have strengths and weaknesses and to be the greatest sales guy CBB has ever seen shouldn't be glossed over and Cal is no idiot....he knows the game, if you think he doesn't you would have to be high as a kite.

Reactions: chroix
You are in a vast minority across college basketball if you believe Calipari is a better basketball coach than Pitino all things considered. He’s not.

Tubby is a better coach than Cal but nobody wants that to happen again right? And even if Pitino is a better X and O coach the head coaching position demands more than that, especially here, as BCG demonstrated.

90s Pitino was amazing. 2000s on has been a dumpster fire. You have to factor all of it in. It’s not just “coaching ability”.

Rick left us and disgusted me when be went to Louisville and all the other scandals but don’t be misled. Rick Pitino is the most brilliant coach as far as coaches go to ever coach at UK. He his offense is second to none.
The guy knew when and how to speed you up too. He could take mid level guys far. Was great at adjusting on D. I could go on. He was a nightmare even on off years.

In what way? Pition and Cal both took over a sh*t shows.

Pitino went to 3 FF's and won a title in '96 (8 years)

Cal went to 4 FF's and won a title in '12 (6 years)

Make assumptions if you want. I would assume Pitino wouldn't have the draught Cal has had but it is plausible. We are talking about a guy who ditched UK, flipped us the bird, impregnated his goomah and essentially landed UL the modern death sentence.

Both are great coaches though. Just don't see the by far the best thing....nonsense.

He went out on top man, that’s all there is. If Cal left in 2014 and some other coach won the 2015 title people would be convinced Cal would’ve won in 2015 (the same way they are convinced Pitino would’ve won in 98 even though he lost in 97) and if he stayed we’d have 5 titles by now. He would be talked about like a god. Going out on top or during your hot streak is huge. It’s as simple as that.

Tubby is a better coach than Cal but nobody wants that to happen again right? And even if Pitino is a better X and O coach the head coaching position demands more than that, especially here, as BCG demonstrated.

90s Pitino was amazing. 2000s on has been a dumpster fire. You have to factor all of it in. It’s not just “coaching ability”.

Im only saying Pitino really is a special coach. Calipari is too, there’s no shame in not adding up to Pitino.

Do you really think I'm a Calipari fan over a UK fan? Or is there a chance that I'm level headed and can see where both guys have achieved great things?

Cal has a small window opening here where things appear to be going better. He has to pull the window up and shove UK back through.

My whole point is Cals run over his first six years here were as great as Pitinos first 8. Both had great moments and both choked away opportunities to do more.

Pitino walked away and then went astray.

Calipari needs to fix his mess and right the ship.

That's it, this isn't some sort of Cal love fest. Not that hard to figure out. You went way deeper than what this is about. Both guys have strengths and weaknesses and to be the greatest sales guy CBB has ever seen shouldn't be glossed over and Cal is no idiot....he knows the game, if you think he doesn't you would have to be high as a kite.

No I don’t think YOU are a Calipari fan over UK. But there are some here, a small minority, who are.

What could have been if he had stayed. I will say he looks in much better shape than our coach. Wonder how his diet differs from Cal’s? Aren’t they both Italianos?
He looks like death warmed over. Cal is just old and fat and happy. Like a lot of old dudes. Pitino looks like plastic surgery and VD gone wrong.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
Im only saying Pitino really is a special coach. Calipari is too, there’s no shame in not adding up to Pitino.

As someone who became a fan of UK in 1999 I completely missed the the whole Pitino run. I certainly heard about it NONSTOP though, like a bitter ex, with all the fellow UK fans. Including a poster in this thread who I would make fun of for being so obsessed with Pitino actually 😂

So I only know him as the Celtics and Louisville coach of the last 23 years. And although he did win one title with Louisville I really hated his style of play and found it really ugly and disjointed. And they were pretty average 90% of his seasons tbh. So I guess I missed the whole “most amazing coach ever” Pitino. Maybe UK just made him that much better?

As someone who became a fan of UK in 1999 I completely missed the the whole Pitino run. I certainly heard about it NONSTOP though, like a bitter ex, with all the fellow UK fans. Including a poster in this thread who I would make fun of for being so obsessed with Pitino actually 😂

So I only know him as the Celtics and Louisville coach of the last 23 years. And although he did win one title with Louisville I really hated his style of play and found it really ugly and disjointed. And they were pretty average 90% of his seasons tbh. So I guess I missed the whole “most amazing coach ever” Pitino. Maybe UK just made him that much better?

Haha, yeah I loved the guy and still do. He was a greta coach at UK. I honestly feel like his style of play changed at UL.

Pitino all things considered might actually be a top 3 “basketball coach” of all time. I understand the accomplishments don’t quite (or maybe they do in ways) warrant that, and then on top of it he made some of the worst moves you could make, but strictly as a guy who could

1. Recruit
2. Innovate
3. Scheme

You’ll have a very hard time finding someone who is good as him. When Pitino was at UK (I know you’re aware I’m getting to the point) he began on probation, and then did something no one ever talks about. He not only utilized the 3 point line turning the game into a modern wave, but he also took Duke’s momentum and stole the team of the decade. People don’t think of Duke in the 90’s the way they do UK. ESPN and sagarin rated UK the team of the 90’s.

Calipari collapsed because of Duke. We don’t talk enough about this. It’s not over yet for Calipari, but the conversation of Pitino is over. Unless Calipari wins 3 or 4 titles which ain’t happening.

Pitino was a unique coach who would be coach K today had he not been stupid. It had nothing to do with his ability. I understand Calipari waxed his ass at Louisville. Hard to beat the talent level Calipari amassed while trying to recruit Louisville.

You can’t recruit that way to Louisville. Pitino recruited to UL about as good as anyone can.

I was a kid in the 90’s and there will never be another decade like it. I’d trade Calipari’s years if it meant keeping Pitino without hesitation. And I’m Regardless of what some of these coach first idiots say, I’m strictly a guy who wants UK at the top. And I would make trade without hesitation. There’s no comparison. Calipari has special traits, but he’s not that caliber.

It’s not hating, Pitino being arguably top 3 greatest coaches of all time is a wide spread opinion in coaching circles and with analyst.

I’m sure @ralphdaltonfan whos very knowledgeable on the scene will agree here.

And I feel you but don’t think I’m talking about Pitino after he ruined himself. That Louisville style is not what he did when he had the guns. Pitino really ****ed himself man.

Which means Cal is a better recruiter than Pitino and important part of coaching. I agree Pitino is the better coach.

JMHO but folks like to downplay Cal as a Coach and I think it is nonsense. He isn't perfect, far from it but this is a guy who gave UK teams in the '90's everything they wanted and then some.

He took the Unforgettables to the wire and if not for a terrible Technical called on Cal there may have never been the Laettner shot.

He beat 1996 UK with essentially a one man show, short bench and role players. He took them to wire in FF too.

Ultimately he had a 1-4 record vs UK but during a time when UK/Pitino was thriving and Cal building UMass into a national brand. If you look at the point differential is is UK in games between '92-'96 (toss out '91 game) it is UK +10 in 4 games.

He can coach and he is one of the best recruiters of all time.

The last thing I will say on the subject is no one can definitely say what RP would do with Cal rosters. One of Cal's best traits is ability to mostly get uber young teams to gel into a unit in one season. I don't think that is as easy as rolling the ball out. Pitino coached at UK in an entirely different era where AA's both from HS and College stayed in school for 2-3 and even 4 years.

Reactions: ciphercomplete
i feel like some people think I’m an asshole and I’m really not. I’m just telling you how this topic works and that’s how it works.

Reactions: Crums Bald Spot
Pitino all things considered might actually be a top 3 “basketball coach” of all time. I understand the accomplishments don’t quite (or maybe they do in ways) warrant that, and then on top of it he made some of the worst moves you could make, but strictly as a guy who could

1. Recruit
2. Innovate
3. Scheme

You’ll have a very hard time finding someone who is good as him. When Pitino was at UK (I know you’re aware I’m getting to the point) he began on probation, and then did something no one ever talks about. He not only utilized the 3 point line turning the game into a modern wave, but he also took Duke’s momentum and stole the team of the decade. People don’t think of Duke in the 90’s the way they do UK. ESPN and sagarin rated UK the team of the 90’s.

Calipari collapsed because of Duke. We don’t talk enough about this. It’s not over yet for Calipari, but the conversation of Pitino is over. Unless Calipari wins 3 or 4 titles which ain’t happening.

Pitino was a unique coach who would be coach K today had he not been stupid. It had nothing to do with his ability. I understand Calipari waxed his ass at Louisville. Hard to beat the talent level Calipari amassed while trying to recruit Louisville.

You can’t recruit that way to Louisville. Pitino recruited to UL about as good as anyone can.

I was a kid in the 90’s and there will never be another decade like it. I’d trade Calipari’s years if it meant keeping Pitino without hesitation. And I’m Regardless of what some of these coach first idiots say, I’m strictly a guy who wants UK at the top. And I would make trade without hesitation. There’s no comparison. Calipari has special traits, but he’s not that caliber.

It’s not hating, Pitino being arguably top 3 greatest coaches of all time is a wide spread opinion in coaching circles and with analyst.

I’m sure @ralphdaltonfan whos very knowledgeable on the scene will agree here.

And I feel you but don’t think I’m talking about Pitino after he ruined himself. That Louisville style is not what he did when he had the guns. Pitino really ****ed himself man.

I mean yeah I think we all could agree if we knew RP would have never left and stayed the same guy he was back then no one would ever have wanted him to leave. He was building a dynasty.

RP had his in game faults too. Duke, UNC and Arizona all were games that could have went out way in '90's. I was not on boards back then so it would be interesting to know the level of meltdown and fingering pointing directed at Pitino for not guarding in bounds, shooting 7000 three's vs UNC and losing to Arizona.

JMHO but folks like to downplay Cal as a Coach and I think it is nonsense. He isn't perfect, far from it but this is a guy who gave UK teams in the '90's everything they wanted and then some.

He took the Unforgettables to the wire and if not for a terrible Technical called on Cal there may have never been the Laettner shot.

He beat 1996 UK with essentially a one man show, short bench and role players. He took them to wire in FF too.

Ultimately he had a 1-4 record vs UK but during a time when UK/Pitino was thriving and Cal building UMass into a national brand. If you look at the point differential is is UK in games between '92-'96 (toss out '91 game) it is UK +10 in 4 games.

The last thing I will say on the subject is no one can definitely say what RP would do with Cal rosters. One of Cal's best traits is ability to mostly get uber young teams to gel into a unit in one season. I don't think that is as easy as rolling the ball out. Pitino coached at UK in an entirely different era where AA's both from HS and College stayed in school for 2-3 and even 4 years.

Man you’re missing the point and I feel like you should easily understand it. Calipari used to try and copy Pitino. That’s why he was known as Pitino lite in those days.

Calipari does coach in ways that play to his roster, but he’s not a good floor coach. He doesn’t coach well under pressure either. And he’s not an innovator. When people say Pitino might be a top 3 basketball coach of all time, they’re talking about his method, his innovation, his crunch time decisions, his evaluation, and his ability to beat you with far less talent because he’s a brilliant basketball kind. I’m sorry man, that’s not Calipari.

Calipari is a great coach because he’s a great recruiter but he’s not an innovator or manager. They are not the same things.

I’m gonna punching my dog damn.

I mean yeah I think we all could agree if we knew RP would have never left and stayed the same guy he was back then no one would ever have wanted him to leave. He was building a dynasty.

RP had his in game faults too. Duke, UNC and Arizona all were games that could have went out way in '90's. I was not on boards back then so it would be interesting to know the level of meltdown and fingering pointing directed at Pitino for not guarding in bounds, shooting 7000 three's vs UNC and losing to Arizona.

Nobody is perfect I didn’t say he was Jesus. But he is likely a top 3 basketball coach of all time ( I mean in my lifetime) Calipari is not.

i feel like some people think I’m an asshole and I’m really not. I’m just telling you how this topic works and that’s how it works.

I like to think of this forum as a huge sports bar where guys shoot the shit and bust balls most of the time. There are also about 25 angry drunks stumbling around that are better off ignored. You are an asshole though.

I like to think of this forum as a huge sports bar where guys shoot the shit and bust balls most of the time. There are also about 25 angry drunks stumbling around that are better off ignored. You are an asshole though.

Nah I’m not for real. In that bar I’d get along with more people than anybody believe it or not. My table would full most people like being around me.

Yeah, I’d forgotten that technical on Cal. It was b.s. but all is fair…

Reactions: HagginHall1999
Well...I'll add my unpopular 2 cents, since it's been months since I posted anything.

It's no secret that I'm not a Calipari fan. He has been very stale for the past several years and just hasn't properly done his job as UK's coach. I hate his one and done approach and would be happy if he left Kentucky. However, he did make some great moves in the off season that give me hope. I'm actually excited to get this season underway and hope he gets things back in gear.

I despise Pitino. He was great when he was at Kentucky, but he made his choice to leave and hasn't been the same since. All he's done since he left Kentucky is embarrass himself and I would never want him back at Kentucky. Will all of the crap he's done and violations in his wake, I just can't imagine that a major team would gamble on him.

Well...I'll add my unpopular 2 cents, since it's been months since I posted anything.

It's no secret that I'm not a Calipari fan. He has been very stale for the past several years and just hasn't properly done his job as UK's coach. I hate his one and done approach and would be happy if he left Kentucky. However, he did make some great moves in the off season that give me hope. I'm actually excited to get this season underway and hope he gets things back in gear.

I despise Pitino. He was great when he was at Kentucky, but he made his choice to leave and hasn't been the same since. All he's done since he left Kentucky is embarrass himself and I would never want him back at Kentucky. Will all of the crap he's done and violations in his wake, I just can't imagine that a major team would gamble on him.

Pick a name without expanding.

Who’s a better “Basketball mind”. Pitino or Calipari.

Pick a name without expanding.

Who’s a better “Basketball mind”. Pitino or Calipari.
I don't know if that's possible, I think there's 2 answers. If we're back in the time when Pitino was at Kentucky, it's Pitino. If we're talking today, it's probably Calipari.

I don't know if that's possible, I think there's 2 answers. If we're back in the time when Pitino was at Kentucky, it's Pitino. If we're talking today, it's probably Calipari.

I just meant in general all things considered. I just don’t anyone who thinks Calipari is the coaching mind of Pitino. If someone said that to a room full of experts I don’t people realize how bad the laughing would be. Oh well.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
If Cal wins a second title, that will end the debate permanently.

Cal's failure to win number 2 with a few of his past teams has been the biggest blemish on his record. He absolutely has to win another title and then I will agree that he is the better coach. But, for now, I have to go with Pitino.

From an X and O standpoint, Pitino is unquestionable the better of the two imo. Grom is right; that dude was different in a lot of ways. Anybody that can't see the difference in Pitino and Calipari are being intentionally obtuse or don't know what they are watching.

However, I will say this...Cal doesn't coach at UK like he coached at Memphis and UMass. When he started amassing all the unbelievable talent at UK, he coached it differently. He might be the only D1 college coach I have ever seen who doesn't run an out of bounds play. He doesn't change defenses. Doesn't effectively press to change tempo.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT