ADVERTISEMENT

Pitino blames racism for recruiting woes at UK...

Well Rupp said several times the SEC would not let him sign a black to a grant in aid specifically Tonto Coleman the Commissioner

I'd love to hear more about this. Presumably when you say Rupp said this several times it was to you in private, because if it was in public I'm sure there would be a record of it somewhere and I probably would have run across it at some point.

The role of the SEC commissioner is one that I haven't looked at a lot and haven't found a lot of information. Much of their influence was behind the scenes. For example in the past I've specifically tried to look at the SEC winter meetings in the 1960s and while going into them some have mentioned that integration was an important issue, it never seemed to make it onto the formal agenda and into the minutes.

I've long suspected that Bernie Moore, who was SEC commissioner from 1951 to 1965 and before that a LSU football coach, was a roadblock against integration, but I don't know that for sure.

If Coleman, who was named to the post in January 1966, was also a roadblock, he wasn't very effective as later that year UK football had Nat Northington and Greg Page on its team and Vanderbilt signed Godfrey Dillard and Perry Wallace.

But again, if you have specific information which illustrates how and why Coleman obstructed UK basketball's recruiting efforts, then I'd love to hear about it.

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
I'd love to hear more about this. Presumably when you say Rupp said this several times it was to you in private, because if it was in public I'm sure there would be a record of it somewhere and I probably would have run across it at some point.

The role of the SEC commissioner is one that I haven't looked at a lot and haven't found a lot of information. Much of their influence was behind the scenes. For example in the past I've specifically tried to look at the SEC winter meetings in the 1960s and while going into them some have mentioned that integration was an important issue, it never seemed to make it onto the formal agenda and into the minutes.

I've long suspected that Bernie Moore, who was SEC commissioner from 1951 to 1965 and before that a LSU football coach, was a roadblock against integration, but I don't know that for sure.

If Coleman, who was named to the post in January 1966, was also a roadblock, he wasn't very effective as later that year UK football had Nat Northington and Greg Page on its team and Vanderbilt signed Godfrey Dillard and Perry Wallace.

But again, if you have specific information and which illustrates how and why Coleman obstructed UK basketball's recruiting efforts, then I'd love to hear about it.
Rupp and Coleman disliked each other I drove Coach Rupp home and picked him
up his last 3 years I heard from him a lot a 19
Year old shouldn’t hear. I was in the car with
Him a captive audience so to speak Bernie Moore before my time

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
I've not had the intense revulsion for Pitino that most UK fans, especially here, seem to harbor. I usually give him a pass for the great job he did here, and for not being able to get out of his own way... sort of like a humorous old acquaintance who's a mess but essentially harmless.

No more. That asswipe has burned the last bridge with us. Take his damned rag out of the rafters NOW.

It's sad too; I met Pitino, and I greatly respected him as a coach. I still think that he was one of the best coaches ever, but Pitino needs to shut-up.

Reactions: Rush2112 UK
I don’t see a problem with the excerpt. The perception of UK (some of it deserved, some of it not) was indeed a handicap for UK coaches to recruit black players, including Pitino.

I wrote a short article in the 1990’s which discusses this a little & provides examples:

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/louisville.html

Thankfully since that time with Tubby Smith & now Calipari & the passage of time that has largely ceased to be a real issue in recruiting.

Now if Pitino is claiming it’s still a significant issue then I disagree with that. But i agree it was a real issue in the past & obviously UK should continue to ensure that any issues which may crop up in the future which potentially could alienate black players & recruits be proactively avoided and dealt with.
Great post I agree with all of it . It might of actually been an issue during Pitino's time but Tubby and especially Cal changed that.

Say what?

I believe he was trying to insinuate that I was struggling to know your identity.

Of course he's barking up the wrong tree as just last year I revealed your identity on an previous thread, after a number of others tried to guess but failed.

And even less does he know that I checked my email account and we've been conversing off and on since at least 2003.

But just to address KopiKat's misguided claim:

1.) I fully recognize that 2Adulterers was a driver for Rupp and had a number of personal conversations and interactions with him. That's why if you actually had any reading comprehension ability, you would see that I stated that the information about Tonto Coleman must have been from a personal conversation with Rupp, as opposed to any type of public spat which would have made the newspapers and which I'm sure I would have run across by now.

2.) I asked for specific examples of tension between Coleman and Rupp that I could hopefully corroborate in the public record. When the response didn't provide any specifics, my assumption is that there were none forthcoming so no need to respond.

3.) Although as I mentioned I revealed his identity last year (after I received permission from him via Twitter DM), I also respect if he doesn't want to reveal it now. Just last week there was a mention of Jim Andrews in another thread and someone asked 2Adulterer's identity. But if he doesn't want to reveal that himself, then I respect it.​

Last edited:
I believe he was trying to insinuate that I was struggling to know your identity.

Of course he's barking up the wrong tree as just last year I revealed your identity on an previous thread, after a number of others tried to guess but failed.

And even less does he know that I checked my email account and we've been conversing off and on since at least 2003.

But just to address KopiKat's misguided claim:

1.) I fully recognize that 2Adulterers was a driver for Rupp and had a number of personal conversations and interactions with him. That's why if you actually had any reading comprehension ability, you would see that I stated that the information about Tonto Coleman must have been from a personal conversation with Rupp, as opposed to any type of public spat which would have made the newspapers and which I'm sure I would have run across by now.

2.) I asked for specific examples of tension between Coleman and Rupp that I could hopefully corroborate in the public record. When the response didn't provide any specifics, my assumption is that there were none forthcoming so no need to respond.

3.) Although as I mentioned I revealed his identity last year (after I'm pretty sure I asked permission), I also respect if he doesn't want to reveal it now. Just last week there was a mention of Jim Andrews in another thread and someone asked 2Adulterer's identity. But if he doesn't want to reveal that himself, then I respect it.​
As his Student Manager I had more interaction with Coach Rupp than anybody except Esther Rupp I need not explain to anyone
Thanks Jon

As I recall, KG was regarded as a virtual lock for Michigan if he hadn't gone pro. In fact, I think KG himself even acknowledged once that it would've been Michigan.

You're right about Tracy McGrady, though. I don[t think he ever officially committed, but I recall that everyone assumed T-Mac was Kentucky-bound until he instead decided to skip college.

But I'm not sure who the other guy you're thinking of is.

Wanting to say 7ft Jermaine Oneal was the other straight to pro guy who would have been a cat

Reactions: UK90
Wanting to say 7ft Jermaine Oneal was the other straight to pro guy who would have been a cat

Yes Jermaine O’Neal was a priority recruit for UK and thought to be a more likely get for them than Garnett.

Garnett was the bigger talent and while Michigan may have been the favorite (especially after Garnett transferred from Mauldin SC to Chicago Farrugut) UK was not out of the picture. Garnett was considered more likely to turn pro out of high school which also made it more unlikely he would end up in Lexington.

Landing either one of them would have been huge for UK, and unusual since UK had never successfully landed a recruit who was a native of South Carolina.

I think UK’s main competition for O’Neal was Univ. of South Carolina IIRC. His decision to turn pro was kind of unexpected. Don’t remember if grades were an issue or he just blew up & attracted NBA attention.

O’Neal ended up having a long and productive NBA career, although he struggled early on. I still think that a year or two of college would have benefitted him in the long run.

Reactions: Dablueman
It could easily be true. Look at how Jalen Rose and the Fab 5 talked about the major programs and how they hated white schools. They talked about us as well. Inner city kids viewed things dif

It could easily be true. Look at how Jalen Rose and the Fab 5 talked about the major programs and how they hated white schools. They talked about us as well. Inner city kids viewed things dif
Link? I saw the Fab 5 30-for-30, and heard them say they hated Duke, but no one else. Never read that either; I'd be interested to see it, and to see what the "white schools" are. Michigan's enrollment is currently 65% Caucasian, 15% Asian, and only 5% African-American. I'd guess that it was even more white 28 years ago. I don't suppose they did a census before they committed there.

Mars didn’t come to UK until Magloire’s Sophmore year! I guess he may have been in the pipeline, but Tubby hired him!

Not sure where you got that idea from but Simeon Mars was on UK’s staff Magloire’s freshman year in 1996-97 under Pitino.

Below is the team photo. Mars is standing second from left, between Frank Vogel and Ron Mercer.

1996-97.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT