ADVERTISEMENT

Picture this offensive alignment.

The-Hack

All-American
Oct 1, 2016
I’m not an expert in Coen’s philosophies, but I am drawing up some plays in my head, with our transfers and returning starters.

It’s kind of scary to think about the mix of talent in ‘21.

Picture Wan’Dale wide to the right, two yards off the LOS, with 6’ 6” transfer Morgan in the slot two yards off, with either a single or double TE, also to the right, (and pick you favorites).

So the QB could fling it laterally to a two year Hornung finalist, who has two or three 6’ 5” + blockers headed ahead of him, taking out 205 pound corners on their way.

Spread the defense to cover that possibility with more beef and leave 6 in the box . . . Now you have the nation’s number one returning back for YAC in CRod, running behind one the heaviest O-lines in the nation, and at least one huge TE.

Tighten your secondary to stop screens, flat routes, etc. and watch Wan’ Dale blow passed them and take the top off.

Our offense could be very dangerous, just with crisp, short and intermediate passes.

Last edited:
Add Drennen or Ali in motion, dragging a safety away from the play, and the linebacker having to try and diagnose at least three options out of the same formation we just ran a slant out of. I hope the guys really put in the work this Spring and Summer, a lot of what we will run requires timing to really take advantage of the defense.

I hope the guys really put in the work this Spring and Summer, a lot of what we will run requires timing to really take advantage of the defense.

When well done, plays can almost take on the appearance of sleight-of-hand, where you have to watch in slow motion to figure out how someone got wide-open from press coverage in less than 2 seconds.

Last edited:
That's beauty of it when it's carried out correctly. They'll be able to run multiple plays out of the same formation. The defenders have less pre-snap keys to read off of. The timing will be crucial, the fakes will need to be sold well, and guys will have to really work on the routes or cuts on routes.

I am having visions of grandeur in my head.. Just think of all the plays that Coen can run out of all the formations'.. He can run any of a number to get thing's open and let the QB take it over.. Hand it off to Crod or fake it and keep it or throw a slant or a pass up the middle to a te.. Wow is all I can come up with..

GBB

Watching the Bucs and Chiefs game a TE down the middle of the field seems to always be open and never used. Think with top notch TE that could be a great play.
Yep,and Kyle Pitts this year. There aren't too many LaVonte Davids and Devon Whites in the college game, most of the time the TE has the advantage when working on a linebacker in coverage.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Yep,and Kyle Pitts this year. There aren't too many LaVonte Davids and Devon Whites in the college game, most of the time the TE has the advantage when working on a linebacker in coverage.

We may have just picked up one that may fit that type TE.. Yes I know he is slight in weight at the present time but by fall he could pack on another 15-20 pounds.. 6'6" is plenty tall enough to play him as an H back or TE to run that play and he has plenty of speed to get in the middle for the catch..

GBB

Reactions: sieken
The weapons to pass the ball will be a ton better than 2020 but....
1. Can we protect the passer is huge...Schlarman's unit for all they did run blocking left alot to be desired at pass blocking. Is it scheme, is it talent, is it Terry Wilson stares down blitzes (my gut is here), etc..
2. Will teams just sit on short stuff all day long and kill short passing lanes....Maybe where Michigan St transfers comes into play as we can throw lob balls to him vs. single safety looks.
3. QB are very green...can they become adept at reading adn getting balls out fast in a new scheme

All to be seen but at least we have potential

Ali, Drennen, Robinson, and I think Epps, Sanders, Cummings, Harris, Dailey and Crumes will factor. Epps seemed to be getting in a groove after a long injury at season’s end. Cummings, Harris, and Drennen are young and made the two deep last year. Sanders is also young and showed promise in the fall. Stoops spoke of Crumes and how he expects a leap. Dailey is a football player.

I’m not an expert in Coen’s philosophies, but I am drawing up some plays in my head, with our transfers and returning starters.

@The-Hack ... you must be in some serious quarantine time ; -) I think you're breaking down game film from both the Rams and UK. Good post.

For the first time in my life, I've caught myself checking UK football a few times during the workday to make sure I haven't missed something exciting taking place. (This transfer portal makes it hard to stay away from football any length of time!)

I have been impressed with Stoops ability first, to stabilize a bad program. Second, to expand recruiting and develop players. Third, to consistently climb the SEC ladder. He now seems to be taking advantage of the portal to meet needs as well as any SEC program.

He's broken through some glass ceilings. (We would've built statutes for previous coaches getting to 5 straight bowls.) I'm the first to acknowledge some of our glass ceilings were fairly low, but that's just where we were over the last 40-50 years. I'm optimistic about our continual climb up the ladder. It will not be bump free, but I'm confident no one in the SEC wants to play us. (I still think Ala is heads and shoulders above everyone else.)

Let this board "name" your plays when you complete your playbook. That will be entertaining. In the fall we can say we scored on "Upshaw Up the Alley" (I'm claiming dibs on naming TE up the #'s.)

Good discussion by all. And thank you OP for starting it.

I've been wondering what we can expect out of Coen. While he spent time with McVay in LA, the offense was McVay's. We do know that Maine's offense was fairly balanced during his year as OC......at least on paper they were.

McVay's offense is really intriguing. Instead of spreading out the formations, the formations are condensed and use a lot of motion/play-action concepts. This helps to telegraph the defense. Pass plays are very quick to minimize need for protection.......and often rely on flood concepts so that QB's don't have to read the field nearly as much.

The weapons to pass the ball will be a ton better than 2020 but....
1. Can we protect the passer is huge...Schlarman's unit for all they did run blocking left alot to be desired at pass blocking. Is it scheme, is it talent, is it Terry Wilson stares down blitzes (my gut is here), etc..

You know I’m hoping that it’s the case we became so one dimensional while Wilson was here running the ball that pass blocking was just neglected. Hopefully now that we want to pass we’re able to get it going, it does seem the one game where we tried passing was of course against UGA the best defense we faced last year so of course we struggled. Most of the time I thought pass blocking was decent it seemed to be the throws were just way off and Wilson never knew to just throw the ball away.

Picture Wan’Dale wide to the right, two yards off the LOS, with 6’ 6” transfer Morgan in the slot two yards off, with either a single or double TE, also to the right, (and pick you favorites).

So the QB could fling it laterally to a two year Hornung finalist, who has two or three 6’ 5” + blockers headed ahead of him, taking out 205 pound corners on their way.

Spread the defense to cover that possibility with more beef and leave 6 in the box . . . Now you have the nation’s number one returning back for YAC in CRod, running behind one the heaviest O-lines in the nation, and at least one huge TE.

Tighten your secondary to stop screens, flat routes, etc. and watch Wan’ Dale blow passed them and take the top off.

Our offense could be very dangerous, just with crisp, short and intermediate passes.
I can picture it. Sort of. So the picture is reversed of your description. But, take the LA Rams playbook from Madden 21 and throw UK players as you described into this.
rams_shotgun_doubles-offset-wk_pa-jailbreak-screen.png

Off of this, also have the X TE run a screen to the right. Or CRod run a screen to the right with the X TE running a shallow cross. So many options could be brought to the offense.

Good discussion by all. And thank you OP for starting it.

I've been wondering what we can expect out of Coen. While he spent time with McVay in LA, the offense was McVay's. We do know that Maine's offense was fairly balanced during his year as OC......at least on paper they were.

McVay's offense is really intriguing. Instead of spreading out the formations, the formations are condensed and use a lot of motion/play-action concepts. This helps to telegraph the defense. Pass plays are very quick to minimize need for protection.......and often rely on flood concepts so that QB's don't have to read the field nearly as much.
In an interview he told us to watch the Rams offense, cause that was what he would be running. Hope thats the case .

In an interview he told us to watch the Rams offense, cause that was what he would be running. Hope thats the case .
I'm not saying this is the case, but...

...if I were coming into a league like the SEC -- where DC's are going to use the off-season to break down and pre-gameplan vs. your offense -- and this is the ONE year you'd have the element of surprise, it might be beneficial to TELL everyone you're doing one thing exclusively but really have something slightly different when go-time happens.

Reactions: yoshukai
One thing that I think gets lost in the new offense that I think is a much bigger plus for UK...

Might we be the only team in SEC under Center for 50% or more of a game? Just about every other team I watch is in shotgun/pistol mostly the entire game. So having teams that see us on schedule forces them to prepare for something they've not seen in most weeks.

if Coen is decent and our QBs can get us to 200+ yards passing a game.....I think you'll see us bumping up 8pts or more per game which is huge.

One thing I foresee as having Robinson on the field will allow Ali to avoid the double teams. Therefore I see Ali having a big year next season. Beyond those two the field is wide open for other receiver(s) to emerge, hopefully we start to see that in the spring. I'm wishful thinking a bit here but Morgan has the perfect body for big X receiver, if he emerges we could all of a sudden have a very potent passing game.

Think it'll be Morgan split wide and Robinson in the slot.

Wonder if Jeff Jagodzinzki is still around in some capacity like QC or whatever?

I'm not saying this is the case, but...

...if I were coming into a league like the SEC -- where DC's are going to use the off-season to break down and pre-gameplan vs. your offense -- and this is the ONE year you'd have the element of surprise, it might be beneficial to TELL everyone you're doing one thing exclusively but really have something slightly different when go-time happens.
That would have been the wise thing to do .

I'm excited about the possibilities. I think the passing attack was hampered by Wilson's shortcomings for the most part and the remainder was a split between OL and WR corps shortcomings. I think Terry's problems dictated a very simple, horizontal passing attack and that increased the problems with OL and WR. Certainly not all TW's fault but, at its core, I think his limitations hampered the passing game the most.

If we look right now at the OL returning, the huge upgrade in the WR room, really strong RB and TE units, 5 QBs who have physical tools at least equal if not better than TW's and then couple all of those positives with what should be a much better scheme AND development of QBs, I think this could be a quantum leap in offensive production. Just imagine what McClain, CRod, Smoke and possibly others can do against a defense that HAS to respect a passing game, especially if we find a QB who is accurate to 15-20 yards. With the various weapons we have at receiver and, I'm assuming at RB as receivers, we should be a handful for all but the most talented defenses on our schedule and should give every opponent fits.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT