ADVERTISEMENT

PF Caleb Wilson's official visit is this weekend

The most recent past results support your position on continuity – it’s key to regularly being in the hunt for chasing titles.

But I’m not convinced that Pope is going to try to fill immediate needs with high level high school recruits – at least I hope not. Candidates to help fill needs? Sure. Let them compete for playing time and be part of a duo manning a position. But UK should be able to get their share of the best, and the best portal transfers are generally going to be better than a freshman (5-star or otherwise) to fill an immediate need. I believe that under Pope, UK is back to having its primary goal being winning championships, not recruiting titles.

I think what you’re saying about getting your high school recruits before Spring is the way to go. Because, I don’t think the best portal players are worried about competing with freshmen, as long as they believe the coach will play the guy who gives the team the best chance to win the game. On the other hand, high school guys and their camps who view them as OAD will likely be leary of being able to beat out top transfers. But once they’re signed coaches have time to show them how it will all work to benefit the team and to benefit them as well (which is a whole other discussion).
I just feel like for next year we can see how it is playing out. Shooting for a five man freshman class and returning the five eligible to return. It seems unlikely that we are able to bring in an elite portal class in that situation.

I just feel like for next year we can see how it is playing out. Shooting for a five man freshman class and returning the five eligible to return. It seems unlikely that we are able to bring in an elite portal class in that situation.
Whoever they get between Lewis/mullins(if they get one of them) then Kentucky will that spot in the portal. If it’s Lewis, they will need a bigger guard/wing scorer from the portal, if it’s Mullins they will need a veteran PG. I also think they will look at adding a center from the portal, as garrison would be the only one returning if he does so.

Reactions: electricat2
Whoever they get between Lewis/mullins(if they get one of them) then Kentucky will that spot in the portal. If it’s Lewis, they will need a bigger guard/wing scorer from the portal, if it’s Mullins they will need a veteran PG. I also think they will look at adding a center from the portal, as garrison would be the only one returning if he does so.
So I take it you aren’t counting on much from Moreno at the 5 spot?

So do you think Coach will go for a pure 5 or a 4/5 in the portal?

Reactions: Fox2monk
So I take it you aren’t counting on much from Moreno at the 5 spot?

So do you think Coach will go for a pure 5 or a 4/5 in the portal?
Depends on how much he develops I guess, I figured the first year with him would be about adding muscle to his frame and getting practice reps. But of course he could be way better and start, I just figured pope would add upper class man for sure

Another reason to add Wilson: he gives us another presidential name.

Washington (George) - PJ Washington
Johnson (Lyndon and Andrew) - Keldon and Jasper Johnson
Jackson (Andrew) - Isaiah Jackson
Carter (Jimmy) - Jared Carter
Ford (Gerald) - Travis Ford
Harrison (Benjamin and William Henry) - Andrew and Aaron Harrison
Hayes (Rutherford B.) - Chuck Hayes
Pierce (Franklin) - Ed Pierce
Lincoln (Abe) - Lincoln Collinsworth
Grant (U.S.) - Grant Darbyshire
Truman (Harry) - Truman Claytor
Taylor (Zachary) - Bob Taylor
Tyler (John) - Tyler Ulis
Madison (James) - Richard Madison

Missed a golden opportunity with Matthew Cleveland a few years ago. Could have given us Grover Cleveland.

Got to add Woodrow Wilson to the list.

Where's my social studies homey, @bucsrule8872 at? He'll appreciate this line of thinking.
So, putting that information into my algorthym, the next President will have to be naned Yelnick McWawa.

Speaking of Presidents, 7 of 8 titles have been won during a Democratic presidential term, so does that mean if we want a title in the next four years, we should vote for Harris?
Harris all the way ... UK has won more titles ... more jobs created under Dem administrations ... better stock market returns under Dem administration's, etc. The numbers are the numbers, but seriously, the prez is like a quarterback getting too much credit and too much blame. Just like Biden getting the blame for inflation, cmon.

Harris all the way ... UK has won more titles ... more jobs created under Dem administrations ... better stock market returns under Dem administration's, etc. The numbers are the numbers, but seriously, the prez is like a quarterback getting too much credit and too much blame. Just like Biden getting the blame for inflation, cmon.
Picking between Trump and Harris is like picking your fantasy QB in the last round of the draft and having to decide between Gardner Minshew and Daniel Jones as your starter. Either way you go, it’s going to be a rough season. LOL!

Harris can barely form a cognitive sentence and you are excited about her? Don’t know what to say exactly. I feel sorry for anyone that votes for her. You must just be giving up.

Harris can barely form a cognitive sentence and you are excited about her? Don’t know what to say exactly. I feel sorry for anyone that votes for her. You must just be giving up.
There's a specific thread on a specific board for this discourse 😂.

Y'all take the brain drain elsewhere before I get the spray bottle. Gahwn git!

I'm personally in favor of having the presumed five incoming freshmen over raiding the portal like madmen again.

Reason being, Pope has already proven he can land high-level portal transfers, and I imagine he's going to have a lot of success with them this year and in years to come.

But we're also going to have drink at the elite freshmen tributary as well. Got to get the occasional elite freshman ala Wall, Mercer, Davis, Walker, etc. You don't have to base your whole paradigm around getting those guys, but if Pope lands Wilson and Lewis to go along with Moreno and Johnson and has success with them, it shows UK is still a destination for elite incoming freshmen.

I'm looking forward to the mixture that Pope is obviously pursuing.

Get one or maybe 2 elite freshman, and get 1-2 multi year guys and stack the roster up and finish the rest off with portal guys.
I'll take two truly elite freshmen a year and let them blend with veterans. The issue for Cal was relying on guys that were five stars, but who also weren't "elite" - Livingston, Boston, Edwards, Wagner, Bradshaw, etc.

I'm all for recruiting freshmen as long as some stick around year two. Recruiting four and keeping two is totally acceptable imo. My biggest problem with "one and done" is every freshmen thought they were just that, even when they weren't.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Get one or maybe 2 elite freshman, and get 1-2 multi year guys and stack the roster up and finish the rest off with portal guys.
This is the formula, if there is one.

Things will vary from year to year, but this is the basic template Pope should follow, IMHO.

Right now, I see Johnson and (hopefully) Wilson as the elite guys.

Moreno and (hopefully) Lewis as multi year guys.

You get that class and make sure the five guys that can come back stay on campus.

Then fill in the blanks with portal guys.

And maybe add 1-2 more guys from the ‘25 class for the future. It’s a deep class, so you try to find a diamond in the rough in the 3-star range maybe. Kind of like Pitino use to do in the 90’s with guys like Mohammad.

I'll take two truly elite freshmen a year and let them blend with veterans. The issue for Cal was relying on guys that were five stars, but who also weren't "elite" - Livingston, Boston, Edwards, Wagner, Bradshaw, etc.
Agree. Cal also misjudged talent some towards the end and that became a issue.

I'm all for recruiting freshmen as long as some stick around year two. Recruiting four and keeping two is totally acceptable imo. My biggest problem with "one and done" is every freshmen thought they were just that, even when they weren't.
Cal fed into the lie.

He let guys like Montgomery, Boston, and Askew belief the myths surrounding their own abilities.

This is the formula, if there is one.

Things will vary from year to year, but this is the basic template Pope should follow, IMHO.

Right now, I see Johnson and (hopefully) Wilson as the elite guys.

Moreno and (hopefully) Lewis as multi year guys.

You get that class and make sure the five guys that can come back stay on campus.

Then fill in the blanks with portal guys.

And maybe add 1-2 more guys from the ‘25 class for the future. It’s a deep class, so you try to find a diamond in the rough in the 3-star range maybe. Kind of like Pitino use to do in the 90’s with guys like Mohammad.
No doubt if you rely solely on the portal you have a situation like what Florida state football has, and if you don’t use the portal you have Clemson football.

You want to vote for a woman who refuses to interview or debate unless she has the questions ahead of time, provides memorized scripted answers, and never actually responds to the questions asked because her lifetime positions on every issue are so unpopular and destructive to the country.

All we need is 1-2 big time players from the portal. That means we can spend to get whoever we want too.

giphy.gif

Everyone I know has lost their ass on retirement savings since Joe and Harris have been in office. Interest rates are thru the roof. The cost of living has skyrocketed, and all those jobs are government workers returning from covid. By every single other sector there has been job loss and that’s why we are in a downswing. Every time a new economic measure comes out, it is terrible. Not to mention all the cost of all these illegals and all the problems that will come with that.

Everyone I know has lost their ass on retirement savings since Joe and Harris have been in office. Interest rates are thru the roof. The cost of living has skyrocketed, and all those jobs are government workers returning from covid. By every single other sector there has been job loss and that’s why we are in a downswing. Every time a new economic measure comes out, it is terrible. Not to mention all the cost of all these illegals and all the problems that will come with that.
Say what? I don't know what you are invested in but my index funds are higher than they've ever been. Have you payed any attention to the stock market? I'll never say a prez is responsible for a good or bad stock market, but what you said is incredibly ludicrous. As far as monetary policy, you do realize the Fed acts independently of the prez, right? Talk about dangerous, trump has said he wants to appoint a new Fed chair that will do his bidding. That's right, the guy with 6 bankruptcies and the guy who doesn't understand basic economic terminology wants to direct the monetary policy for America. Are you effin kidding me? All the new jobs are not from covid recovery, cmon. You are not that stupid are you. You have every right to vote for who you want but facts are independent of your cult brain.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT