ADVERTISEMENT

Perry announcing on the 12th

Lyon County might as well be Missouri. It’s a different world than, say, a kid growing up in the mountains or the bluegrass. The passion for UK is not as strong out there, IMO.
Unacceptable.

Need to get the governor involved.

You seem to have direct knowledge that Perry is not coming to UK out of high school – or maybe that’s just the widely believed scuttlebutt in Lyon Co. and you’re familiar with that belief. Either way, I’ll take your word for it. I know I certainly have no idea about it.

But, as I’ve said before, I do think it would be a huge mistake for Perry to pass up an opportunity to play for UK – IF the circumstances are right. One of the things that I think could make the circumstances “right” is developing into a decent scorer (or maybe even just a really good shooter) at another Div. I program with less immediate competition (Ole Miss or Purdue likely fit that) and then transferring to UK as an upperclassman when playing time and his role would be much more clearly defined.

If Perry is going to be an NBA player, then I would think he should do whatever makes that most likely – which may very well be playing somewhere else besides UK for his entire college career. But if he is instead going to be a good college player (or useful role player) then I think the opportunities that open up to him for the rest of his life by playing for UK would make the most sense.

Would you have enough knowledge about the situation to speculate on the future transfer possibility?
Not sure about a future transfer. I doubt he would, but that’s just speculation. A career post college is a priority. Subject to change, but healthcare industry is an interest.

Reactions: G-PIP
Caught the tail end of Jack talking about Perry on KSR.
From what I could piece together the decision NOT to attend UK has already been made.

Does make a difference with your life after basketball is over. Surprised he doesn't see the significance sticking with your people during these fast four years of playing college basketball. Rest of life a long time if you are granted that time.

Getting a KY kid is always great. But, this is not a loss for UK. We will have much better players to choose from than what Perry can provide. He is not anywhere close to what Reed is.

Perry at ole miss or Cincinnati will get a lot more playing time early then he would at Kentucky
You're probably right about that. But I guess my point is what he's leaving on the table by not playing at UK. Is that a wise and mature decision for his future?

You're probably right about that. But I guess my point is what he's leaving on the table by not playing at UK. Is that a wise and mature decision for his future?
Maybe, I get your point, but alot of these players that are in his range want to play right away and don’t wanna wait

Lyon County might as well be Missouri. It’s a different world than, say, a kid growing up in the mountains or the bluegrass. The passion for UK is not as strong out there, IMO.
Lol do what? Western Kentucky is WAYYY more similar to western Tenneessee them Missouri.

This year UK has Perry type players and look at how enjoyable it is. High bball iq and shooters plus ball handlers and passing. Low turnover team. Plays fast and multiple guards.

We need a player like Travis Perry. Fits this new spread style like a glove. Shooter, passer, ball handler team first kid. Smart calm and a winner.

Sure hope he sees it and stays home at UK. Don’t go get lost and forgotten somewhere else.

Oh give me a break. There are only so many scholarships to go around. To be offered one means they freaking want him. If he doesn’t want to come here it’s because he doesn’t think he’ll play. Well sorry but you can’t be one-dimensional at UK. You need to be able to pass, defend, and score at all levels. If this kid can do all that (like Reed) then he shouldn’t be afraid to come here. If he can’t, then he’ll do great at a program like Ole Miss.
Just because they offered does not mean they want him like others. How many trips has uk made to see him like they did fland? None that was publicized. The offer was to appease the fans. As far as one dimensional, there have been plenty of ccc recruits that could run and jump but had no basketball skills. Perry can shoot, something a lot of ccc recruits could never do.

Just because they offered does not mean they want him like others. How many trips has uk made to see him like they did fland? None that was publicized. The offer was to appease the fans. As far as one dimensional, there have been plenty of ccc recruits that could run and jump but had no basketball skills. Perry can shoot, something a lot of ccc recruits could never do.

Oh to be sure, there have been many one-dimensional ones under Cal. But they’ve all been in the last few years. What I meant was moving forward, we need multi-faceted players like we have on the current roster. And maybe Perry is, I don’t know. I’ve never seen him play. But I have to think if he was, he’d be UK bound.

Oh to be sure, there have been many one-dimensional ones under Cal. But they’ve all been in the last few years. What I meant was moving forward, we need multi-faceted players like we have on the current roster. And maybe Perry is, I don’t know. I’ve never seen him play. But I have to think if he was, he’d be UK bound.

He's not.

Reactions: cornbreadnmilk
Complete BS, the passion for UK in Western Kentucky is as strong as anywhere. Also, both his parents are UK grads.
We have folks in western Kentucky who drive all the way to Lexington for games. Doubt they are the only UK fans in western Kentucky.

I could see Perry having a plan of proving himself at another Div. I school (where he might have an opportunity for a bigger role more quickly), and then transfer to UK for his final couple of years. If UK recruits him out of the transfer portal, then they’re bringing him in to play right away.

Regardless of how he gets to UK – directly out of high school or via the transfer portal - I think it’s a huge mistake if Perry doesn’t take advantage of an opportunity to play at UK. As an in-state player with the all-time high school scoring record, failing to understand and capitalize on the opportunities that playing for UK would bring him (continuing long after his playing days are over) would be the opposite of smart.
We need this kid!!

Maybe, I get your point, but alot of these players that are in his range want to play right away and don’t wanna wait
what a dumbass comment i live in eddyville and drive up to almost every uk game
Exactly. And, I think it was Goose that just said the further you go west in KY the more crazy the fans are. You can't get any more west than where I grew up and it's always been all UK all the time.

Reactions: FtWorthCat
There is a difference between offering a scholarship and really recruiting, we really want you here. They made the offer. I sense the most important part has been less than award winning. I have been through the recruiting process. You know the ones that really want you.

Reactions: bnewt
There is a difference between offering a scholarship and really recruiting, we really want you here. They made the offer. I sense the most important part has been less than award winning. I have been through the recruiting process. You know the ones that really want you.
I think they wanted him but they also wanted Fland.
You can't take Perry over Fland.
You also can't take him over Peterson or Knox.
For Perry to come here he would have to be comfortable with the same situation that Willis and Hawkins were in with the 2013 class.
I don't think Perry wants that.

Last edited:
Maybe he’ll go the Pat Sparks route. Especially if we win a title this year or next… hard to see Cal sticking around. Perhaps the next coach would be a better fit for him.

Reactions: UKortho
I’ll have to give you the SuperWildcatFan award. I live in eastern Kentucky, about hour and half from Lexington. I drove to Eddyville several years ago and I thought I would never get there. I could have driven to Atlanta, Ga quicker.

My comment was misinterpreted by several people, but it’s my fault for wording it wrong. What I meant was that the best players from WKY don’t always seem to grow up UK fans like in other parts of the state. Even though he went to UK, Rex grew up a UL fan. Dan Langhi went to Vanderbilt. Sure there have been some guys like Sparks, but even he took a roundabout route to get here. Stockton and Carrier neither one was UK material. Just doesn’t seem like we have great luck with that part of the state.

exactly my point
The kid is a basketball player. He knows that UK would make room for him, but he also knows that do they he is not a priority recruit. Who wants to feel like they are second fiddle? If the kid goes to an SEC opponent, I hope he has a good career & averages 20+ points a game against UK, proving that maybe he should have been a priority recruit.

exactly my point
The kid is a basketball player. He knows that UK would make room for him, but he also knows that do they he is not a priority recruit. Who wants to feel like they are second fiddle? If the kid goes to an SEC opponent, I hope he has a good career & averages 20+ points a game against UK, proving that maybe he should have been a priority recruit.
If Ole Miss is the pick, I really wouldn't trust that the situation will be that different from UK.
Beard can't recruit HS talent like Cal but I expect him to go hard in the portal.
Beard will try to win quick at OM, after all he's not coaching there by choice.
It's kinda a redemption tour for him.
For all the reasons we have heard that TP wouldn't pick UK, I always thought that NIL would win out.
I would say that Reed's NIL earnings this year will be more that Perry's parents combined income
.NIL at Ole Miss is all about Layne's boys.

My comment was misinterpreted by several people, but it’s my fault for wording it wrong. What I meant was that the best players from WKY don’t always seem to grow up UK fans like in other parts of the state. Even though he went to UK, Rex grew up a UL fan. Dan Langhi went to Vanderbilt. Sure there have been some guys like Sparks, but even he took a roundabout route to get here. Stockton and Carrier neither one was UK material. Just doesn’t seem like we have great luck with that part of the state.
Stockton was from southern KY. Not western KY.

Exactly. And, I think it was Goose that just said the further you go west in KY the more crazy the fans are. You can't get any more west than where I grew up and it's always been all UK all the time.
Ballard County?

He will play because he can score, shot, score, shot. What’s not to like?
Perry is definitely a scorer, but a scorer who also happens to shoot it very well from the perimeter. He attacks on offense with a purpose. Now, he will have to adjust his game to college obviously; and his role will not be the same. And, as a freshman he won’t shoot it as well from the 3pt. line as in high school. But there’s a heck of a lot to like about Perry’s potential as a CBB player. Even the recruiting ranking services like him as one of the best PGs in the country – and they’re heavily biased toward future pro potential (at the top anyway).

Perry is definitely a scorer, but a scorer who also happens to shoot it very well from the perimeter. He attacks on offense with a purpose. Now, he will have to adjust his game to college obviously; and his role will not be the same. And, as a freshman he won’t shoot it as well from the 3pt. line as in high school. But there’s a heck of a lot to like about Perry’s potential as a CBB player. Even the recruiting ranking services like him as one of the best PGs in the country – and they’re heavily biased toward future pro potential (at the top anyway).
Wouldn’t it be great to have a four year player (or two)?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT