ADVERTISEMENT

Is the roster so good that......

I hope the men on the team play so well that Perry and/or Noah get to redshirt (eligible only if they do not compete in more than four games or 30% of the season's total games, whichever is greater). Highly doubt that happens and I really want to see them on the court, but if it were to happen it would be because the veterans are killing it!
Think that’s unlikely in today’s ncaa was my initial reply but, with NIL, I realize that it might be more likely they redshirt rather than less.

Last edited:
I, too, had a good feeling, from the git-go, expecting Coach Pope to put together a competitive team, and I think he's certainly done that. But I have also thought, from the git-go, that RR posters are generally undervaluing Travis Perry's potential immediate contribution ... and I feel the same way, but to a lesser degree, about Trent Noah. Of course, time will tell ... but I won't be surprised to see Travis and Trent getting meaningful minutes throughout the season. And if Coach Pope is at all disposed toward a game-long full-court press ... then all the more so.
But, whatever ... Go 'Cats ! ! !
gEt-go

Calipari caused discord with each roster the last 4 years. Pope wants a team to play together and not be selfish. Calipari played favorites and this season was proof of that. I can't imagine what Rob and Reed we're thinking coming off the bench all season long knowing they should have been starting.

I've never seen such talent wasted like Calipari did with this team.
Has Cal ever apologized for being out coached or has it always been excuses like we ran into a team of 25yr olds?

Reactions: Darrell M1234
Is the roster so good that you don't expect Noah and Perry to contribute valuable minutes most games.

I know I wasn't expecting Sheppard to do what he did last year but he did

Not saying either Noah or Perry would contribute like that but do they average 10 minutes a game?

What kind of contributions do you expect from them?
How about allowing our new coach to evaluate his players so that he can determine who plays when, where, and how much. There is nothing currently known about Pope that should give fans reasons to believe players playing time will be based on nothing other than merit. If Perry and Noah demonstrate they are two of the better players on the team, there is no doubt that they will see plenty of playing time.

Is the roster so good that you don't expect Noah and Perry to contribute valuable minutes most games.

Not saying either Noah or Perry would contribute like that but do they average 10 minutes a game?

Tremendous question….here is how I work it out

1. Perry is a PG or some SG…..csn he beet out Butler , Krissa , Brea, Chandler and maybe even some Oweh for those two spots?
2. Noah is. SF in college….he had to beat out Robinson and something like Oweh…maybe Brea flexes some minutes at the Sf spot

I predict as of now the minutes at Pg , Sg snd Sf as

Pg: Butler 28 Krissa 12
SG : Brea 25. krissa 12. Oweh 3-4
Sf; Robinson 28, Owen 12

It’s hard to see them getting minutes with that much experience coming back

Reed had basically wqgner reevees snd dilly as rhe the only players to beat out for minutes at the sg and Pg spots…much less competitive minutes the way cal baked the rosters

I for one have said and will continue to say the guy that’s going to shock everyone this year is Noah. No way he sits the bench all year. He went under the radar because of where he played but He’s got the game that you can’t teach. High IQ guy who’s lights out and can score from anywhere on the floor. He’s got a tireless motor and Paris is a great evaluator / went all in on him.

Someone is going to lose a ton of minutes because he’s going to disrupt the roster. I would think more people would take notice of it.
I am with you on this! I watched him play and he is big,strong, and extremely skilled. I don't see how he doesn't.play either.

Perry if we need a zone buster, altho there are plenty, Noah I expect will take a yeR or 2. Pure speculation, they may both be drafted in the lottery after next season

I do not expect any of the FR to play much. It’s not a reflection of them. But there are just 200mpg, and you can probably count on one hand how many teams ever (not just UK) had their 11th-12th man average double digit minutes.

Our starting 5 will only be marginally better than our 2nd 5.

Let’s do the math without names. Whoever the starting 5 are, play them 24mpg. Then from Butler, Kriisa, Oweh, Brea, Robinson, the 2 of those not starting play 20mpg. The backup C 16mpg. Maybe you go small 6mpg, so the backup PF gets only 10mpg. That leaves 14mpg spread between the 3 FR. So you are talking about <5mpg for all 3, OR one plays more and the other 2 get just 1-3mpg.

I have predicted Chandler plays 6-8mpg, and the other 3 FR play 2-4mpg.

As for Sheppard, yeah he was better than 99% thought, but many had him way too low for him to be a 5* McD AA, they devalued him either because he was from KY or who our coach was or because of his race or they thought he was overrated due to his parents. So we should have expected him to contribute at least 15mpg.

I think it’s too early to say, but it’s a nice luxury to be able to develop freshmen rather than depend on them.

If I had to guess, Chandler will be a big contributor by midseason at worst, and the two Kentucky kids will have their moments but will ultimately be situational depth pieces that we hope to count on much more as sophomores.
Excellent post.

How about allowing our new coach to evaluate his players so that he can determine who plays when, where, and how much. There is nothing currently known about Pope that should give fans reasons to believe players playing time will be based on nothing other than merit. If Perry and Noah demonstrate they are two of the better players on the team, there is no doubt that they will see plenty of playing time.
Common sense post.

I do not expect any of the FR to play much. It’s not a reflection of them. But there are just 200mpg, and you can probably count on one hand how many teams ever (not just UK) had their 11th-12th man average double digit minutes.

Our starting 5 will only be marginally better than our 2nd 5.

Let’s do the math without names. Whoever the starting 5 are, play them 24mpg. Then from Butler, Kriisa, Oweh, Brea, Robinson, the 2 of those not starting play 20mpg. The backup C 16mpg. Maybe you go small 6mpg, so the backup PF gets only 10mpg. That leaves 14mpg spread between the 3 FR. So you are talking about <5mpg for all 3, OR one plays more and the other 2 get just 1-3mpg.

I have predicted Chandler plays 6-8mpg, and the other 3 FR play 2-4mpg.

As for Sheppard, yeah he was better than 99% thought, but many had him way too low for him to be a 5* McD AA, they devalued him either because he was from KY or who our coach was or because of his race or they thought he was overrated due to his parents. So we should have expected him to contribute at least 15mpg.
I agree with everything but I can't see any of the freshmen wasting a year on less than 10 mpg. Look at how much Osobor is making this year at a no name school and think about how much a sharp shooting Kentucky kid could make as a senior. If I were the player I wouldn't want to waste a year of earning power for minor minutes. If they play minor minuters as a freshman they won't make much as a sophomore but if they redshirt and have a nice redshirt freshman year they'll be in the money for their soph through senior seasons.

Chandler is a bit different than Perry and Noah in that he may not be a 4 year player while both Noah and Perry likely are 4 year players. But I do think all three are underrated and would not be shocked if any of the 3 turned out too good to not play.

I agree with everything but I can't see any of the freshmen wasting a year on less than 10 mpg. Look at how much Osobor is making this year at a no name school and think about how much a sharp shooting Kentucky kid could make as a senior. If I were the player I wouldn't want to waste a year of earning power for minor minutes. If they play minor minuters as a freshman they won't make much as a sophomore but if they redshirt and have a nice redshirt freshman year they'll be in the money for their soph through senior seasons.

Chandler is a bit different than Perry and Noah in that he may not be a 4 year player while both Noah and Perry likely are 4 year players. But I do think all three are underrated and would not be shocked if any of the 3 turned out too good to not play.
Somebody has to be the 11th and 12th guys. And the math doesn’t support whoever those 2 are to play much.
Even the great and deep 96 team, the 11th and 12th men (O.Simmons and Nazr) played a total of just 101 and 88 minutes over 36 games.

Somebody has to be the 11th and 12th guys. And the math doesn’t support whoever those 2 are to play much.
Even the great and deep 96 team, the 11th and 12th men (O.Simmons and Nazr) played a total of just 101 and 88 minutes over 36 games.
I agree somebody has to be 11-12 or 13 but they don't have to play; that's why maybe redshirts are in order. With NIL things are different now. A guy that plays 6 minutes a game as a freshman is going to make roughly the same amount of money as a sophomore. So if your NBA future isn't certain, it might make sense to be better and play more your freshman year, so I think we'll see more redshirting than we used to see. Perry has NBA skills but not NBA height and Noah maybe doesn't have NBA size and athleticism so the most money they may make playing basletball could be at UK.
Just my opinion, I know nothing.

Looking at BYU last year, it looks like he basically played 10 guys.

Only three players played over 25 minutes a game and no one played over 30 minutes. All three were guards.

Six played 20 or more minutes. Only one of them was a forward.

He had two bigs that played almost 20 minutes each.

The other two guys played about 10 minutes a game and didn’t play in every game (injuries?, situational players?).

Others played spot minutes and didn’t play in every game.

So I suspect a similar pattern this season.

Probably 10 guys playing most of the minutes most games.

They will play as much or as little as they can dictate by practice and play in the context of the competition and fit within the team is what I suspect and also hope.

Why does anyone want or expect any different?

How that plays out, I'm not able to predict yet but the freshmen have a considerable experience gap to overcome against good players.

I think Perry will contribute more than Noah but that’s the good thing about freshmen. They can surprise you.

Don't expect minutes from Chandler , Perry, or Noah unless there os injuries or they just show out . We got maybe 9 players ahead of them. I do expect them to be major players year 2.

I think Perry will play more. I suspect Noah could need some time. He is going to be going against some very athletic guys he probably hasn't seen very much at HS level. Just the nature of the beast at his position.

I just don't see many close games where 12 players get minutes.
In blowout games sure. But closer games best 10 will get the minutes and the top 8 will get more than the 9th and 10th guy likely.
Going to be some DNP next to a couple players names. Likely the Freshmen.

I don't expect much out of Perry and Noah. They may show up, but it's not high probability.

Chandler ranked 30th in the RCSI composite rankings. He was no slouch as a high schooler and is a couple years older now. We've had some great freshman ranked in that 25-30th range. I wouldn't sleep on him as a contributor. He has a higher probability of being a key rotation piece than Noah or Perry.

I don't expect much out of Perry and Noah. They may show up, but it's not high probability.

Chandler ranked 30th in the RCSI composite rankings. He was no slouch as a high schooler and is a couple years older now. We've had some great freshman ranked in that 25-30th range. I wouldn't sleep on him as a contributor. He has a higher probability of being a key rotation piece than Noah or Perry.
Lots of love on this board for Chandler. Some really smart posters are singing his praises (you included).

I’m hoping you guys are right.

I am a bit skeptical, because of the two years away from competitive ball, but you guys are getting my hopes up that he will be the real deal.

Tremendous question….here is how I work it out

1. Perry is a PG or some SG…..csn he beet out Butler , Krissa , Brea, Chandler and maybe even some Oweh for those two spots?
2. Noah is. SF in college….he had to beat out Robinson and something like Oweh…maybe Brea flexes some minutes at the Sf spot

I predict as of now the minutes at Pg , Sg snd Sf as

Pg: Butler 28 Krissa 12
SG : Brea 25. krissa 12. Oweh 3-4
Sf; Robinson 28, Owen 12

It’s hard to see them getting minutes with that much experience coming back

Reed had basically wqgner reevees snd dilly as rhe the only players to beat out for minutes at the sg and Pg spots…much less competitive minutes the way cal baked the rosters
Noah is also a small ball 4 in college.

I think it’s too early to say, but it’s a nice luxury to be able to develop freshmen rather than depend on them.

If I had to guess, Chandler will be a big contributor by midseason at worst, and the two Kentucky kids will have their moments but will ultimately be situational depth pieces that we hope to count on much more as sophomores.
"Nice luxury to be able to develop freshmen rather than depend on them"

The Shining Reaction GIF

Reactions: Aike
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT