ADVERTISEMENT

Per Matt Sak the list of known prospects

Wonder why we are not going after Johnell Davis. Backcourt is so important and he's the best in the portal

Davis may be the reason why Dusty May has become such a hit commodity

• Haha
Reactions: TheDude73
I know we are all jonesing over here, but seems like Pope has hit the ground running in his first week. Lock em up, coach!

It’s so nice knowing we’ve got a coach who wants players who can win vs. notches in the NBA Belt at the expense of winning. I’m still just not used to it.

Poor Arkansas.

Last edited:
Jones just said Kentucky is looking at Kenny Payne as a assistant

Oh no. I just don’t want it. I’d rather have Orlando if that’s the route we’re taking. Payne doesn’t even really recruit.

But I trust Pope knows what he’s doing. I’m just sick of linking these programs together and I thought it was finally over. I also think Payne is just overrated all the way around. I mean “works with bigs” eh. He didn’t teach Randle to be a beast or AD to block. I’d really hope we don’t do it but again Mark is going to do what it takes to put us in position so….

Just can’t see what he adds at all. Hope it’s not true. Get away from that era all together.

Reactions: Wonky
Wonder why we are not going after Johnell Davis. Backcourt is so important and he's the best in the portal

Davis may be the reason why Dusty May has become such a hit commodity
I wouldn't be so sure that we aren't going after him - keep in mind, there are some players that schools don't really want to publicly recruit, for several reasons. There's a chance Davis is one of them...

Reactions: University-6
Jones just said Kentucky is looking at Kenny Payne as a assistant
That must be the rumored “1 Cal era” hire to help bridge the gap with the old players and keep them connected to the program.

KP is largely credited for all the big man development in the early Cal years despite his utter failure as a HC. He’s also the guy they said would get up in the middle of the night to go work a guy out in the gym. Some dudes are just built to be the friendly life long assistant and don’t have the organizational leadership skills or touch of assertiveness to be the top of the pyramid

My one concern is does he still have the motivation and drive in his older age and after his stint in the NBa and UL failure to be that guy….or is he a shell of himself from an energy standpoint and just collecting checks.

Biggest asset Payne had / has, he is a players coach. That is great as an assistant, the players need someone they can go to and talk about life (these are kids away from home, it isn't all basketball), and on court issues. As a head coach, you can't be that and that is where I think Kenny Payne struggled the most at Louisville. You can't be their friend, shoulder to lean on if you are in charge, but as an assistant, you need one of those on staff. It helps the players feel comfortable that they have someone they can talk to. Not to mention, he will do whatever he can to help the player on the court get better, whether it be extra time in the gym, or just work on fundamentals after practice. Payne is well known for that, it wasn't luck he had so much success working with the big men. he has been there and done that, so players know what he is telling / teaching them is best for them.

From that list.. I hope our Roster looks like this....

Centers
Amari Williams
Aly Khalifa

Guards
Collin Chandler ( committed )
Travis Perry ( committed )
Reed Sheppard ( please comeback )
Jeremy Roach
Javon Small

Forwards
Jaxon Robinson ( please come )
Cade Tyson
Liam McNeely
Jakobe Coles

Hopeful Starters
Jeremy Roach
Reed Sheppard
Jaxon Robinson ( or Collin Chandler )
Liam McNeely
Amari Williams

First off the Bench
Cade Tyson
Travis Perry
Collin Chandler
Aly Khalifa

Centers
Amari Williams
Aly Khalifa

Guards
Jeremy Roach
Javon Small

Forwards
Cade Tyson
Liam McNeely
Jakobe Coles

Hopeful Starters
Jeremy Roach
Reed Sheppard
Liam McNeely
Amari Williams

First off the Bench
Cade Tyson
Travis Perry
Collin Chandler
Aly Khalifa
Why would you want a highly rated freshman, but unproven young player (McNelly) to start over a proven, seasoned veteran (Tyson) ? It doesn't make any sense ? Let the freshman / young guys come along at a normal pace, and less pressure, not throw them into the fire. We have seen what happens when that happens. I thought everyone wanted to get away from depending on freshmen ? Yes we need them, but do not need them playing more than proven, battle tested, veteran guys. (sound familiar ?)

Centers
Amari Williams
Aly Khalifa

Guards
Jeremy Roach
Javon Small

Forwards
Cade Tyson
Liam McNeely
Jakobe Coles

Hopeful Starters
Jeremy Roach
Reed Sheppard
Liam McNeely
Amari Williams

First off the Bench
Cade Tyson
Travis Perry
Collin Chandler
Aly Khalifa
I would want Koby Brea from Dayton on that list. The guy can shoot the 3 ball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT