ADVERTISEMENT

Penn’s Jordan Dingle hits portal…23 ppg

I think we need to look at this as we are also going to have a handful of minutes at the 4 spot to spell Bradshaw.

I picture Bradshaw playing 25 MPG at the 4 spot, and maybe 5 MPG at the 5.

So we have 40 MPG at the 1/2/3 spots, and 15 MPG at the 4 that can be used.

135 MPG divided by 5 players

Dillingham
Wagner
Reeves
Edwards
Transfer (Dingle or Lawrence) or Livingston

135 MPG divided by 5 players = around 27 MPG each
What about Shep and/or Thiero?

Reactions: Fox2monk and G-PIP
I hope so. His Dad was a player at UMass also. Contrary to what some people claim on this board. Him and Bright were killers at the 3/4. Anyway, some in the know are saying he’s gonna land in the Big East. 🤷‍♂️
Didn’t figure we would go after him with Reeves likely back. Cal’s going to wait and see what Reeves does before he adds another wing. Not enough room for another wing with Reeves potentially returning.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Johnson chose UK when Cauley-Stein was already there. He chose to come back to UK when Towns was coming in. The point remains.

And Anderson told Rhodes during his redshirt year that he was "taking his spot" at the 3. Pitino was selling Anderson on playing the 3.

Mercer knew Anderson would be there just like Anderson knew Delk would be there. Mercer even said he chose UK because he didn't want to have to carry the team and that he was fine with coming off the bench. Do you remember that?

Your response doesn't refute what I wrote because all of these guys came to or came back to a UK program anticipating playing a diminished role. That was the point.

So no, Dingle wouldn't be an idiot if he attends UK, not even if Reeves returns. To be showcased on a potential Final Four team as 12 points/game actually puts him on the map more than if he chooses another program and scores 18/game.

What is your point exactly? You don't think guys are okay with diminished roles anymore?
What was Johnson’s other option? Transfer because Towns was coming? He would have had to sit out 1 year.

Mercer correctly knew he would play. He was 7th on the team in minutes, only 0.6 mpg less than DA.

It’s one thing to join a team with 1 other person expected to play meaningful minutes at your position (as you point out, not uncommon at all), it’s another thing when 1.5 other persons are already there.
I’ve already asked anyone to show how could the minutes work out, and no one has suggested anything that could work other than playing guards at PF (which ain’t happening).

Would a player like Dingle be ok in a diminished but meaningful role? Sure. 18-24mpg instead of 25-32 mpg. Yes. But if it could be 10-18 mpg, no, probably not.

I never said he would be an idiot.

Ok, there's 90 minutes for those guys you list. Toss out Theiro, since he could conceivably play some 4.
So how you going to make those 90 minutes work between Wagner, Dillingham, Reeves, Dingle & Sheppard?
Lets see it.
Depends on how unselfish these guys are. Freshman Sheppard should play but Cal should split time based on performance game to game. If we have a bunch of Prima Donna's, we are screwed before we start. We could wear teams out with 22/22/15/15/6.
Does he have a cousin named Dingle Berry
Nah, that would be confusing.

Didn’t figure we would go after him with Reeves likely back. Cal’s going to wait and see what Reeves does before he adds another wing. Not enough room for another wing with Reeves potentially returning.
bucs, as long as scholarships are available there's always room for a player that makes your team better, right? Could be a potential starter - regardless of what 5-star freshman is already signed - or it could be a complimentary player (if he's willing to come with the understanding that he might end up as an important, but backup, piece).

Dingle might not fit either of those categories, but I believe there are/have been multiple Transfer Portal players that fit those categories - and as another poster linked, long time commentators like Gary Parrish and David Cobb agree with that opinion. Whether Calipari does or not can be speculated on based on what has occurred in the past, but it's clearly speculation.

Reactions: Fox2monk
bucs, as long as scholarships are available there's always room for a player that makes your team better, right? Could be a potential starter - regardless of what 5-star freshman is already signed - or it could be a complimentary player (if he's willing to come with the understanding that he might end up as an important, but backup, piece).

Dingle might not fit either of those categories, but I believe there are/have been multiple Transfer Portal players that fit those categories - and as another poster linked, long time commentators like Gary Parrish and David Cobb agree with that opinion. Whether Calipari does or not can be speculated on based on what has occurred in the past, but it's clearly speculation.
Don’t think Dingle would want to come, unless Reeves spot was open.

But, filling out scholarships is a whole different discussion. There are guys out there we could bring in. No reason not to use at least 12. I can understand leaving one open in case somebody becomes available in December or something like that.

I just don’t think Dingle would be interested. He’s a D-1 starter. He’s likely expecting starter minutes wherever he goes.

Reactions: ganner918 and G-PIP

But, filling out scholarships is a whole different discussion. There are guys out there we could bring in. No reason not to use at least 12. I can understand leaving one open in case somebody becomes available in December or something like that.

I just don’t think Dingle would be interested. He’s a D-1 starter. He’s likely expecting starter minutes wherever he goes.
Kentucky will probably reach out atleast since his dad and cal have history

I take Reeves over Dingle for a variety of reasons. First off, Reeves is already a Wildcat. He has played in Cal’s system and knows what Cal expects of him. Secondly, Reeves is bigger (6’6 vs. 6’3). Third, Reeves is statistically a better perimeter shooter (39% vs. 36%). Lastly, Reeves has played high level P5 college basketball and Dingle has only played mid-major ball.

Just my take.

My point is that Calipari has brought the program to the point that Big Blue fans are genuinely pinning their hopes on landing a transfer from Penn. Think about that for a second. 🏀

Nobody is “genuinely pinning their hopes” on Dingle. Certainly not when we’ve already got guards as talented as Wagner, Dillingham, Sheppard and (probably) Reeves.

We see Dingle as someone who’d be a really nice additional bonus piece to an already loaded backcourt …not as someone we dearly need.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
What about Shep and/or Thiero?

If we can get someone better than those 2, then don't settle for those 2.

This HAS to be our year- we can't hold anything back. If there is someone out there who can help more than Thiero, we have to go get them.

We didn't go get more guards last summer because we said "well what about Wheeler and Frederick".

Just my opinion, but we can't let existing guys stop us from going and getting someone better if they can help us get it done.

If we can get someone better than those 2, then don't settle for those 2.

This HAS to be our year- we can't hold anything back. If there is someone out there who can help more than Thiero, we have to go get them.

We didn't go get more guards last summer because we said "well what about Wheeler and Frederick".

Just my opinion, but we can't let existing guys stop us from going and getting someone better if they can help us get it done.
This, couldn’t agree more, it’s Kentucky get good players. If they can get somebody better than Sheppard/theiro they have to atleast try

This, couldn’t agree more, it’s Kentucky get good players. If they can get somebody better than Sheppard/theiro they have to atleast try
By the same token if you can get a guard that gives you a better chance at a championship than Dillingham you should do it.

Reactions: G-PIP
By the same token if you can get a guard that gives you a better chance at a championship than Dillingham you should do it.

I mean...yes, that is correct.

Now Dillingham is a projected top 20 pick in next year's draft so you won't find very many better than him, but yes, in theory, if there is a guard out there who wants to come and is better than Dillingham, you don't say no.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23

Now Dillingham is a projected top 20 pick in next year's draft so you won't find very many better than him, but yes, in theory, if there is a guard out there who wants to come and is better than Dillingham, you don't say no.
Draft projections, especially this early, mean nothing to me. Boston and Clarke were projected lottery at this point that year. I want a team with the balance of skill, experience, and toughness to win a championship. This kid is electric but not a PG to lead a lineup with two other freshmen. A skilled vet with Wagner would be ideal along with Reeves and Shepherd.

Draft projections, especially this early, mean nothing to me. Boston and Clarke were projected lottery at this point that year. I want a team with the balance of skill, experience, and toughness to win a championship. This kid is electric but not a PG to lead a lineup with two other freshmen. A skilled vet with Wagner would be ideal along with Reeves and Shepherd.
I agree. I just don't understand the belief that an incoming freshman recruit being a projected draft pick means there aren't any better players at his position in college. To the contrary, there are probably a dozen (maybe dozens) upperclassmen playing the position that better impact winning during that one year of college. And now with the wide-open Portal situation, a top college program with NIL opportunities like UK can provide can often pluck one of them every year.

Being a projected draft pick coming out of high school basically just means the scouts think a player has the potential to be a pro eventually. It doesn't even mean that he'll be the best player at his position in his conference - in fact I think history has proven time and again that he most likely won't be. Yet the narrative just keeps going. I assume it's based on revisionist history after some of the OADs develop in line with their potential in the NBA.

just like ccc, wait holding the bag & coming up empty

Reactions: bigbluedon
Was Ron Mercer an idiot for coming in 1995? Was Dakari Johnson an idiot when it was clear we were getting Towns and probably bringing back Cauley-Stein and Marcus Lee?
Your comparing apples to oranges. In those situations s, there were no transfer rules as there are today, or NIL. Cal has guaranteed playing time to his two incoming freshman guards,no matter how they play, see Boston. You are a really good guard with unlimited options, knowing how Cal rolls WHY would you come here next year.

This.

No. But how many guards are ever in the portal significantly better than a projected top 20 pick? None (or close to it).

It's not that you turn away top level transfers. These kids can count, they aren't stupid!
"Coach, I see 2 guys at my position who are pretty good, not better than me because I'm the best, but they're pretty good. How you going to make the minutes work out?"
Coach: "Trust me, don't worry about it"
That ain't going to work.

I don't understand some fans that say why come to Kentucky because we already have too many players. Today, May 10th Kentucky is sitting on 7 players and we continue to hear about Livingstona and also Oscar maybe in the 2nd round and we are not clear on Reeves. If something would happen and Oscar stays in the draft, Livingston might stay in the Draft, and we don't know even know about Reeves. It would be disaster to have the 7 players and Five are Freshmen. Cal would then have to hit transfer portal and grab 4 or 5 players just to get us 11 or 12 players for next season. Look at Arkansas which is at 5 Transfers and when I see a transfer announcement Arkansas is in the Top 10 for the Transfer. Then Kansas if Mackenzie Mgbako announces Kansas Friday would have 4 strong good transfers for next season. There are a number of Top and Good teams that has picked up 3 or 4 solid transfers for next season.

It would be nice to pick up a Cal friends kid who is actually legit.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
I think Reeves comes back he was not invited to the NBA combine but to the G league That makes a big difference

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT