ADVERTISEMENT

Penn’s Jordan Dingle hits portal…23 ppg

Reactions: Fox2monk
I def think you can make Reeves + another wing work. And we should. Reeves might not have the body to play 30+ mpg for the whole season. Makes me wonder if he wouldn't mind having some one else to help carry the 2-spot with him.

There is 100% room for experienced shooters with good size. No clue if Cal will take him but would be a good addition IMO
These type of comments continue to crack me up.

Of course WE want him and every good player here.

The question is, why would Dingle want to come to a team where there is 3 guards ahead of him on the depth chart? The leading scorer in the country expects to play 30+ minutes per game and be a central part of wherever he goes.

Who of Wagner, Dillingham, and Reeves is Cal not going to play to get Dingle PT?

35.6% from 3 (7.7 attempts/game)
85.6% FT
55.5% FG

Only 2.3 apg might suggest he’s not used to being the lead guard but idk. Haven’t seen him play.
If they were to find a way to get this kid to UK I imagine he'd be playing off the ball a lot. Frankly I hope Reeves and Dilly are here and we don't need him.

The question is, why would Dingle want to come to a team where there is 3 guards ahead of him on the depth chart? The leading scorer in the country expects to play 30+ minutes per game and be a central part of wherever he goes.

Who of Wagner, Dillingham, and Reeves is Cal not going to play to get Dingle PT?

I'm sure we will see Wagner and Dilly on the floor at the same time, but I'm not sure if we should. Dilly is a sub 35% 3pt shooter, often around 30%.

It really should be Wagner 25mpg, with DIlly coming in, and running as a 2-guard at times.. but we need Reeves and another wing for the 2-spot.. and also a bit of the 3spot when Edwards goes out.

Can he play defense? If not, he really adds no value.

Damn, I really don't care about prioritizing defense, as we have spent the last several years struggling to even have an elite offense.. We need guys who can score. We could give up 90pts for all I care, so long as we score 91.

I'd also make the argument that focusing TOO much on defense, tires the players out and they have no legs for offense. Maybe that's why our guards have become so worn down come March. 🤷‍♂️

Reeves isn’t back yet, so the staff has to have backup options, and dillingham there is boom/bust scenarios, and rarely anywhere dingle Jumps up to that school will have guards, UConn had 5 solid guards on their team this year, no reason Kentucky can’t either

Damn, I really don't care about prioritizing defense, as we have spent the last several years struggling to even have an elite offense.. We need guys who can score. We could give up 90pts for all I care, so long as we score 91.

I'd also make the argument that focusing TOO much on defense, tires the players out and they have no legs for offense. Maybe that's why our guards have become so worn down come March. 🤷‍♂️
I agree. And while I thought the Def was a major concern last year, I believe Cal typically has good Def teams. We need some consistent high scoring games.

On the internet there are 400 minutes to divy not 200.

I mean we had Mintz, Sestina, etc that were happy to come here and play 15-20 min In an experienced veteran role. Maybe he would too, looking at his highlights he doesn’t look like a 30 min star at a high Div 1 school, so maybe he wants to be a role player at a big program?

Then the outcome is very simple. We simply lose the games we don’t shoot well. That will be 8 - 12 games a year. Minimum. Play defense, or lose, often. You need guys that can play solid defense every day and generate some offense. I’d rather lose 3 games and average 65 than lose 12 games and average 80.

Edwards will be getting minutes on the wing as well.

35.6% from 3 (7.7 attempts/game)
85.6% FT
55.5% FG

Only 2.3 apg might suggest he’s not used to being the lead guard but idk. Haven’t seen him play.
The 55.5% is from 2-only. Was 46.4% overall.
He's not a PG, and we don't need that, so no problem.

The 3pt % could be a little higher, but he's improved that each year, and maybe he can improve it even more like Grady did.

If we do not get Reeves back he might be a good fit.

Then the outcome is very simple. We simply lose the games we don’t shoot well. That will be 8 - 12 games a year. Minimum. Play defense, or lose, often. You need guys that can play solid defense every day and generate some offense. I’d rather lose 3 games and average 65 than lose 12 games and average 80.
Very true. And EVERY TEAM loses games they don't shoot well, unless they have a very good defense. And EVERY TEAM has games they don't shoot well. Go look at the NCAA-T, I bet every upset the loser did not shoot well.

I say pass on this one. He will be a good pickup by some team...but 36% from 3 on a mid-major team is not what we need. His splits indicate he is a volume scorer. Calipari will not pursue this one, I suspect.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT