ADVERTISEMENT

Penn’s Jordan Dingle hits portal…23 ppg

We were just talking about him not too long ago.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Yep.

Unless Reeves bolts, there’s just no room for Dingle.
why the love for Reeves? He isn't a star
This is the exact same thing that happened last summer with Toppin, and that turned out average at best
Get all of the talent you can to offset the lack of coaching and game planning
did 2015 not teach anyone? all of that talent & ccc still screws it up
the last several years the players have been dictating what goes on, not the over paid coach
time to change that crap. if reeves doesn't want to compete for playing time, so be it. get players that
want to play. surely there has to still be some kids like Sheppard that play the game for the love of it.

I would like it, with as little shooting as Kentucky has had, dingle & reeves would be a good thing. The staff can make Wagner,dillingham, dingle and reeves work for sure, and bring reed and theiro along slowly.
Ok, there's 90 minutes for those guys you list. Toss out Theiro, since he could conceivably play some 4.
So how you going to make those 90 minutes work between Wagner, Dillingham, Reeves, Dingle & Sheppard?
Lets see it.

Reactions: bucsrule8872
why the love for Reeves? He isn't a star
This is the exact same thing that happened last summer with Toppin, and that turned out average at best
Get all of the talent you can to offset the lack of coaching and game planning
did 2015 not teach anyone? all of that talent & ccc still screws it up
the last several years the players have been dictating what goes on, not the over paid coach
time to change that crap. if reeves doesn't want to compete for playing time, so be it. get players that
want to play. surely there has to still be some kids like Sheppard that play the game for the love of it.
You don't get it. It's not that we wouldn't love to have both, and let them battle it out. Dingle ain't likely going to want to join a crowded backcourt, and risk playing only 10mpg.

Ok, there's 90 minutes for those guys you list. Toss out Theiro, since he could conceivably play some 4.
So how you going to make those 90 minutes work between Wagner, Dillingham, Reeves, Dingle & Sheppard?
Lets see it.
Wagner, dillingham, reeves and dingle all get first priority and if Sheppard is ready he will if not you let him sit and develop. You can make those four work, with different lineups combos, or going 3 guards which is what Kentucky should be doing anyways but they can make it work

Wagner, dillingham, reeves and dingle all get first priority and if Sheppard is ready he will if not you let him sit and develop. You can make those four work, with different lineups combos, or going 3 guards which is what Kentucky should be doing anyways but they can make it work
Exactly.Other teams fill their rosters and make it work but somehow UK is supposed to.

I say pass on this one. He will be a good pickup by some team...but 36% from 3 on a mid-major team is not what we need. His splits indicate he is a volume scorer. Calipari will not pursue this one, I suspect.
He shot 46% from the field, 36% from three, and 86% from the line. He shot 6 free throws per game and only played 33 minutes/game.

At 17 shot attempts per game for Penn, that likely translates to 9 shot attempts at Kentucky. He's good for 11 to 13 points/game at Kentucky with next year's roster, which is exactly what we need if Reeves leaves.

You can make it work on paper.

But the game isn’t played on paper.

Look at it from Dingle’s perspective. There’s already two 5-star Freshmen guards on the team. There’s probably a returning starter at guard as well.

Do you take a chance that you can beat those three out for minutes?

And yes Reeves will get minutes at the 3, but Edwards is going to get most of those minutes.

Any way you slice the pie, if you add one more mouth to feed, the pieces get smaller.

Do players want larger or smaller pieces of the PT pie?

You can make it work on paper.

But the game isn’t played on paper.

Look at it from Dingle’s perspective. There’s already two 5-star Freshmen guards on the team. There’s probably a returning starter at guard as well.

Do you take a chance that you can beat those three out for minutes?

And yes Reeves will get minutes at the 3, but Edwards is going to get most of those minutes.

Any way you slice the pie, if you add one more mouth to feed, the pieces get smaller.

Do players want larger or smaller pieces of the PT pie?
Dingle probably won’t come here, but Kentucky should definitely try to get him and if you get him you figure out, I rather have more talent than less, and you also go after him in case reeves does choose to leave and something happens with dillingham

Dingle probably won’t come here, but Kentucky should definitely try to get him and if you get him you figure out, I rather have more talent than less, and you also go after him in case reeves does choose to leave and something happens with dillingham
That’s a given.

But it’s hard to sell a kid on coming to your school, when you have little PT to offer. Especially when the kid is use to playing big time minutes.

And he is likely the first call Cal makes if Reeves doesn’t return, if he is still available.

Exactly.Other teams fill their rosters and make it work but somehow UK is supposed to.
It's not about how "filled" a roster is. Dingle isn't going to be worried about guys 8-13. It's about how filled with good players a roster is. Show me a school with already 3 good players for 2 positions, that can convince a 4th good player to join; or 4 good players for 3 positions to convince a 5th.

Reactions: Rockford
Fine assume Sheppard never sees the court (yeah, that will go over well w/ BBN!), even if all 4 play equal amount of minutes, that is 22.5 for each of them. Do you honestly believe Wagner is only playing 22.5min?
And I was assuming for 10min each game to go with 3 guards. Edwards gets the other 30min at SF.

It's not about guarantees, or even starting spots. Not even about who will be better.
It is about projected or likely minutes.

We have 4 guys expected to earn 20-32 mpg at 3 spots. You could make a case for 2 more (Sheppard & Theiro) to get a little run, say combined 10-15mpg. To add another guy who would be expecting at least 20mpg, there just aren't the minutes unless 1 of them ain't playing or 1-2 of them play A LOT LESS than expected.

And I am not one of those who always think 5* players will start or play a lot. I correctly called Collins not contributing much (when everyone else thought he would). I correctly called Boston overrated bust before he ever walked on campus. I correctly predicted Whitney to struggle. And I fear Bradshaw may struggle too (as a FR). But I think Edwards will be our best FR since probably Fox/Monk/Bam. And I think Wagner and Dillingham can at least be as good as Tyty, Maxey & Wallace.

Sure, we would gladly take Dingle. But would he want to come if there is a big chance his minutes could be anywhere from 10-24 mpg? When there are lots of good schools with bigger holes, and he could believe he would be in the 20-30 mpg range.
I don’t understand this exactly. If it’s not about who is better and instead about projected or likely minutes, then who is doing this projection? Me, you, other fans or prognosticators? Are you saying potential recruits/transfers are getting these projected or likely minutes from the coaches and making decisions based on this? I understand a player (or those advising him) can make assumptions about playing time and based on that choose not to come to UK. But I don’t like the idea that any player that would consider playing for UK would not come because he doesn’t think the players who have the biggest impact on winning will get to play the most minutes.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
Fine assume Sheppard never sees the court (yeah, that will go over well w/ BBN!), even if all 4 play equal amount of minutes, that is 22.5 for each of them. Do you honestly believe Wagner is only playing 22.5min?
And I was assuming for 10min each game to go with 3 guards. Edwards gets the other 30min at SF.
It worked for him before, odds are dingle doesn’t come here and Kentuckys interest is just cal and the staff telling dingle about a contingency plan for if reeves leaves, but I still rather have more shooting and guards and think cal could figure it out with the four guards mentioned

Reactions: G-PIP and track42
That’s a given.

But it’s hard to sell a kid on coming to your school, when you have little PT to offer. Especially when the kid is use to playing big time minutes.

And he is likely the first call Cal makes if Reeves doesn’t return, if he is still available.
In a dream scenario, again dream scenario
Kentucky would go Wagner reeves dingle, Edwards, dillingham, transfer big, ugo, and bradshaw. Play those 8 the majority of the mins, and let Sheppard, theiro, and Lance fill in when needed

Reactions: bnewt
Honestly if they played Bradshaw at the 5 playing all those guys wouldn’t be hard lol. The issue is Cal told him he’s a 4

Reactions: G-PIP
Honestly if they played Bradshaw at the 5 playing all those guys wouldn’t be hard lol. The issue is Cal told him he’s a 4
But then who plays the 4? Edwards is closer to a 2 than a 4, especially in Cal’s system.

I don’t understand this exactly. If it’s not about who is better and instead about projected or likely minutes, then who is doing this projection? Me, you, other fans or prognosticators? Are you saying potential recruits/transfers are getting these projected or likely minutes from the coaches and making decisions based on this? I understand a player (or those advising him) can make assumptions about playing time and based on that choose not to come to UK. But I don’t like the idea that any player that would consider playing for UK would not come because he doesn’t think the players who have the biggest impact on winning will get to play the most minutes.
I’m saying potential recruits/transfers aren’t stupid, and can figure it out. They want to maximize chances for success.
Now if he thinks “I’m better than everyone there”, then who is there doesn’t matter. But if he thinks I’m comparable to these 4 guards there, then he’s likely to expect ballpark comparable PT.

Reactions: G-PIP
Was Ron Mercer an idiot for coming in 1995? Was Dakari Johnson an idiot when it was clear we were getting Towns and probably bringing back Cauley-Stein and Marcus Lee?
Mercer was a SF. The only other SF on that team was Anderson who was transferring from Ohio St and had not yet shown how good he was and could be a 2G, and Edwards who Mercer was simply better than.

Johnson was in the same class as Lee, but rated higher, both a year before Towns arrived.

Mercer was a SF. The only other SF on that team was Anderson who was transferring from Ohio St and had not yet shown how good he was and could be a 2G, and Edwards who Mercer was simply better than.

Johnson was in the same class as Lee, but rated higher, both a year before Towns arrived.
Johnson chose UK when Cauley-Stein was already there. He chose to come back to UK when Towns was coming in. The point remains.

And Anderson told Rhodes during his redshirt year that he was "taking his spot" at the 3. Pitino was selling Anderson on playing the 3.

Mercer knew Anderson would be there just like Anderson knew Delk would be there. Mercer even said he chose UK because he didn't want to have to carry the team and that he was fine with coming off the bench. Do you remember that?

Your response doesn't refute what I wrote because all of these guys came to or came back to a UK program anticipating playing a diminished role. That was the point.

So no, Dingle wouldn't be an idiot if he attends UK, not even if Reeves returns. To be showcased on a potential Final Four team as 12 points/game actually puts him on the map more than if he chooses another program and scores 18/game.

What is your point exactly? You don't think guys are okay with diminished roles anymore?

I’m saying potential recruits/transfers aren’t stupid, and can figure it out. They want to maximize chances for success.
Now if he thinks “I’m better than everyone there”, then who is there doesn’t matter. But if he thinks I’m comparable to these 4 guards there, then he’s likely to expect ballpark comparable PT.
Got it. I was just trying to understand where you thought those assumptions about playing time were coming from. For example, a lot of posters have narratives about how Calipari will “always” do certain things, like always start 5-star freshmen, etc. Others think if a high school recruit is rated as the #1 player by a recruiting service, then he’s the “best [college] player in the country.” So those folks are going to assume transfers think the same and therefore won’t come to UK when there's an incoming 5-star freshmen at their expected position because they won’t be given an equal and fair chance to compete for the starting spot. But I question whether top transfers make the same assumptions; and if they might, then I think the coach should disabuse that notion quickly (and maybe Calipari does for all I know).

But I understand what you’re saying – e.g., if Jalen Wilson is coming back to Kansas a transfer who sees himself at the same position is not going to think that’s a good spot for him. I just don’t think incoming freshmen are (or should be at least) on that level in the minds of top transfers (but on this point maybe I'm transferring my assumptions also).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT