ADVERTISEMENT

Intriguing guard in the portal

Only 45 days in this portal window. I know we don't know who is coming back or leaving but before this window is up shouldn't we try and snag a couple of the very best guys in the portal before it ends and before the best ones get gobbled up instead of waiting late for the best leftovers? We need proven experienced players so we won't be so 'young' and lose a bunch of games while they grow up.

Only 45 days in this portal window. I know we don't know who is coming back or leaving but before this window is up shouldn't we try and snag a couple of the very best guys in the portal before it ends and before the best ones get gobbled up instead of waiting late for the best leftovers? We need proven experienced players so we won't be so 'young' and lose a bunch of games while they grow up.
Some of the best players in the portal will declare for the draft and will wait to the end of the period to pick a school.

Reactions: G-PIP
TO me...the St Joe guard both were strong vs. Ky...but this kid was a Fr and had a really good year

XZAYVIER BROWN​

6'2 guard from Philly

12 pts
45%FG
40% 3pt
1.8 steals

Some of the best players in the portal will declare for the draft and will wait to the end of the period to pick a school.
I know we can't jump the gun just saying if a guy becomes available that is a can't miss type why not go ahead and get close to him and show a lot of interest. If Shep isn't back I think we need another scoring guard if we don't get Peterson. If Edwards isn't back I think we need a can't miss 3 man if we are serious of winning a championship. Just a couple of examples of looking ahead.

I know we can't jump the gun just saying if a guy becomes available that is a can't miss type why not go ahead and get close to him and show a lot of interest. If Shep isn't back I think we need another scoring guard if we don't get Peterson. If Edwards isn't back I think we need a can't miss 3 man if we are serious of winning a championship. Just a couple of examples of looking ahead.
A top SF will be a hard sell with Knox and Richmond in the fold and Adou as a combo.
If we lose DJ and Reed, I think UK will be in business to snag a top portal guard to play opposite Fland.
Hard to say when a decision would come from any of the reclass candidates.

A top SF will be a hard sell with Knox and Richmond in the fold and Adou as a combo.
If we lose DJ and Reed, I think UK will be in business to snag a top portal guard to play opposite Fland.
Hard to say when a decision would come from any of the reclass candidates.
If we lose DJ and Reed, then we need to add 2 portal-guards.
If we lose 1 of those 2, then we need to add 1 portal-guard.

If Thiero starts at the 3 I would feel better because Knox and Richmond probably won't be giving us a lot of offense their first year. Or if Hart is given a chance at the 3 we know he will give us offense. Just can't see Cal sitting those two frosh if Thiero or Hart would make our team better than those two. A shame have to worry about the coach more than the players.

Agree.
One starter, one backup.
Generally I would say there is no chance DJ comes back, but this is one scenario where it would actually be good for him to come back. His NBA stock is basically shot this year, if he comes back he will be the top guard and obviously he will be able to work on his shooting over the summer. His family knows basketball like no other, this maybe something they advise him to do.

Reactions: ORCAT
If Thiero starts at the 3 I would feel better because Knox and Richmond probably won't be giving us a lot of offense their first year. Or if Hart is given a chance at the 3 we know he will give us offense. Just can't see Cal sitting those two frosh if Thiero or Hart would make our team better than those two. A shame have to worry about the coach more than the players.
You can already see the traffic jam at the 3 spot for next year, and if any of the bigs come back the jam at center. Adou would be an awesome small ball 4 next year, prob ALL-SEC, but I would almost guarantee he puts two bigs at the 4/5 next year, thus the jam with Knox, Richmond and Adou, you can literally see it coming.

Reactions: ORCAT
Generally I would say there is no chance DJ comes back, but this is one scenario where it would actually be good for him to come back. His NBA stock is basically shot this year, if he comes back he will be the top guard and obviously he will be able to work on his shooting over the summer. His family knows basketball like no other, this maybe something they advise him to do.
Makes good sense but will they look at it that way. But, he can enter the draft and if he doesn't stick with a team he can always work on weaknesses and develop in the G League. That's another direction they may look at instead of coming back.

Makes good sense but will they look at it that way. But, he can enter the draft and if he doesn't stick with a team he can always work on weaknesses and develop in the G League. That's another direction they may look at instead of coming back.
Cal has a completely different scenario to sell DJ as opposed to what Dajuan's situation was at Memphis.
Cal pushed him out because he was lottery, DJ is far from lottery.
Cal could not offer Dajuan anywhere near what DJ will make in NIL.
Under no circumstances is DJ leaving Lexington empty handed.
It make perfect financial sense for DJ to make another run at trying to get in the first round.
I think Cal would agree that he's selling himself way short to settle for a second round pick.

Parker had a weird 2nd season with St.Louis, not sure how much was related to injury or being in Ford's doghouse????

1. He is definitely a scorer, putting up 15.9-pts in 20.7-mpg against lower mid-level competition!!!
  2. Only played 16-games in 2023/24 (injury??).
  3. Scored 97-points over a 3-game span while playing only 81-minutes!!!
  4. He followed that run up playing only 31-minutes over next 2-games scoring 20-points.
  5. In his 2nd thru 4th games of the year he put up 61-points in 74-minutes and followed that run up only playing 3-minutes in their next game (injured)????
Seems to be a volume shooter, put up 1-shot every 1.75-minutes. In comparison: Dillingham shot one every 2.04-minutes and Reeves shot one every 2.20-minutes............

Can never have enough guards/ depth!!!!

Only connections can save DJ’s draft status this year. If he has to play in the combine scrimmages he will get cooked right out of the draft. Has to be a Livingston type deal or come back. He does not have a single NBA level skill at this point. I feel for the kid, he must have the weight of the world on him.

Just reported that Cal, has indeed, contacted Liam McNeely to set up a visit. Suppose to be a really good shooter, just exactly what we need. Tennessee, Florida and Kansas also wanting him.

Reactions: crawfords corner
According to reports McNeely is one of the very best pure basketball players. More than just a great shooter, basketball savvy in all areas. Sounds like a Sheppard or Perry type, just taller. And a pure three. Says that he would take us from a great recruiting class to an elite one.

Reactions: BigKari
According to reports McNeely is one of the very best pure basketball players. More than just a great shooter, basketball savvy in all areas. Sounds like a Sheppard or Perry type, just taller. And a pure three. Says that he would take us from a great recruiting class to an elite one.
Has such a Kansas feel to it. Hope I’m wrong. Feels just like when we were crossing our fingers hoping for Andrew Wiggins to join a loaded class. This class is not as good as that class, but McNeely looks much more like the missing piece for Kansas’s class than he does for Kentucky’s.

Has such a Kansas feel to it. Hope I’m wrong. Feels just like when we were crossing our fingers hoping for Andrew Wiggins to join a loaded class. This class is not as good as that class, but McNeely looks much more like the missing piece for Kansas’s class than he does for Kentucky’s.
Will be at Kansas. They are in desperate need of shooting and Self will sell that and more.

Reactions: BigKari
Will be at Kansas. They are in desperate need of shooting and Self will sell that and more.
What team doesn’t need shooting? Not saying I know where he’s going, but I like Cal’s ability to bring in recruits and he has landed a really nice player or two from the portal every year.

From reports, it appears that shooting may be taking a step back from this year, so we could use shooters just as much as the next team.

Now if you had told me the guy liked to hit women I would agree that KU is the likely landing spot, but we are two days into it and I doubt anyone knows what this kid is thinking this early on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT