ADVERTISEMENT

Pelphrey bad relationship with Cal?

Louis_Skunt

Senior
Oct 4, 2013
Ive noticed Pelphrey and Cal never say a word. Its usually the quickest blow by handshake on record (excluding Crean and Pitino). Seems like an old UK hero would be in favor of Cal. Any ideas here? Maybe Cal grabbed too many of Floridas recruits when he was with Donovan?

Considering Pelphrey’s success as a head coach, he is lucky to have the job he does. As has been noted, he is descended from the Pitino Donovan tree and is only an assistant, so not really worth Cal’ acknowledgement.

This is no different than a lot of the 1996 team that has a disconnect with Cal. Cal got them all rings, and then they all bitched, moaned, and whined behind closed doors in 2016 about their 20 year anniversary BS.

Personally, I would not have got them a damn thing. That was on Rick if they didn’t get rings. I still remember Derek Anderson going on a UofL radio show after we lost the title game in 2014, and completely blasting Cal. Matt Jones has basically called that entire team out for how they have acted towards Cal sans a few dudes (Delk, Mohammad, Walker, Pope.) So of course, they don’t like Matt either. Love former UK players, but if you can’t get behind Cal because of your allegiance with a slime bag, don’t let the door hit you in the ass.

Amazing. Pel didn't play good defense, for one play, against one of the best college ball players of all-time and he's a bum. Don't worry about everything leading up to that point, right?

Reactions: kev69
This is no different than a lot of the 1996 team that has a disconnect with Cal. Cal got them all rings, and then they all bitched, moaned, and whined behind closed doors in 2016 about their 20 year anniversary BS.

Personally, I would not have got them a damn thing. That was on Rick if they didn’t get rings. I still remember Derek Anderson going on a UofL radio show after we lost the title game in 2014, and completely blasting Cal. Matt Jones has basically called that entire team out for how they have acted towards Cal sans a few dudes (Delk, Mohammad, Walker, Pope.) So of course, they don’t like Matt either. Love former UK players, but if you can’t get behind Cal because of your allegiance with a slime bag, don’t let the door hit you in the ass.
I hear what you're saying. But we have no idea what's really gone on behind the scenes, so I'm not as quick to judge a guy who meant a lot to the program. Heck, we can't even be sure how he feels about Rick these days. A lot has happened.

Reactions: Cindog28
Pel was a great player for UK and had one of the most exciting runs in our history with Pitino.

Some of you guys are complete asses and I hope you get a job and get out of your mother’s basements.

If Pitino would have put somebody on the ball against Duke on the throw to Latner we would have won that game and the team would have been the most beloved team in UK basketball history.

I hear what you're saying. But we have no idea what's really gone on behind the scenes, so I'm not as quick to judge a guy who meant a lot to the program. Heck, we can't even be sure how he feels about Rick these days. A lot has happened.

I have no idea, I was just talking in generalities. There is a segment of the former Pitino dudes that don’t like Cal. I have nothing against Pelphrey.

Reactions: EliteBlue
I don't think anyone has a problem with Pel the player. Pel the assistant coach is who they are talking about.

I respect Pel, because I can remember his high schools days in Ky and sticking with Ky during the probation, do not know if there is bad feeling between Cal and him I would hope not, he has a bander in Rupp..

Reactions: ORCAT10
Amazing. Pel didn't play good defense, for one play, against one of the best college ball players of all-time and he's a bum. Don't worry about everything leading up to that point, right?
SemperFi, I may have missed it, but are you the first one in this thread to mention JP’s lack of defense against Laetner’s game winning shot? I don’t recall seeing any of these other guys bringing it up.

What makes you think its Cal that has the problem? Cal is the type of guy that would be cordial to Bob Knight, even today.
Look Dude, I’m always going to side with the Kentucky kid, who was a huge part of the resurrection of this program. I like Cal, I’ve made that perfectly clear, but i will always take the side of family.

Cal screams it’s about the name on the back, JP was always about the name on the front. No contest as to who I will side with.

I’ve never heard good things about Pelphrey. He and Travis Ford don’t have many fans within UK athletics from what I have been told.

Reactions: Louis_Skunt
SemperFi, I may have missed it, but are you the first one in this thread to mention JP’s lack of defense against Laetner’s game winning shot? I don’t recall seeing any of these other guys bringing it up.
Sorry, I assumed "ball watching ginger" was a reference to him just watching that shot. I'm probably wrong though.

I’ve never heard good things about Pelphrey. He and Travis Ford don’t have many fans within UK athletics from what I have been told.
Bullshit. Another one of your ignorant posts.

I’m not sure if you’re just stupid, trying to be cute. Or just a complete asshole loser.

My guess is all of the above.

Reactions: crpoore

This :rolleyes:

Bullshit. Another one of your ignorant posts.

I’m not sure if you’re just stupid, trying to be cute. Or just a complete asshole loser.

My guess is all of the above.

Feel free to believe what you want. I worked at UKAA in 2002 and 2003 and neither of those guys were well liked. I’ve been told several times since then that has not changed.

Sorry, I assumed "ball watching ginger" was a reference to him just watching that shot. I'm probably wrong though.
No problem. In that regard, Pitino put the fear of God in them about fouling on that play. JP didn’t want to give the ref a chance in Hell of calling a foul after Pitino’s coaching speech during the timeout.

Refer to my last post.
What? Two paragraphs of idle hyperbole on your part? No thanks. Pelphrey has coached against Cal. He's a peer at this point. He doesn't need to be a fanboy as a former UK player. Nor does Cal owe JP anything other than an open door as a former player. All that notwithstanding, his jersey hangs in the Rafters for a reason. Slinging mud at him because he doesn't shake hands with Calipari long enough to your liking is absolutely and unequivocally retarded.

Reactions: chevyman 50
What? Two paragraphs of idle hyperbole on your part? No thanks. Pelphrey has coached against Cal. He's a peer at this point. He doesn't need to be a fanboy as a former UK player. Nor does Cal owe JP anything other than an open door as a former player. All that notwithstanding, his jersey hangs in the Rafters for a reason. Slinging mud at him because he doesn't shake hands with Calipari long enough to your liking is absolutely and unequivocally retarded.

Where was the hyperbole in my post?

Also, when did I sling mud at Pelphrey?

Speaking of retarded, you may want to go get checked.

Some of you guys are acting like Cal Is an outsider. Geez people he’s been here 9 years he’s not an outsider and never should be treated as such. Whatever there problem is IF and I mean IF they even have one no reason you have to chose sides. Wow this bunch will eat their own LMAO

Look Dude, I’m always going to side with the Kentucky kid, who was a huge part of the resurrection of this program. I like Cal, I’ve made that perfectly clear, but i will always take the side of family.

Cal screams it’s about the name on the back, JP was always about the name on the front. No contest as to who I will side with.

Still, what makes you think it's Cal that has the problem? You implied that Cal needs to get over it. I don't think thats the case, I think youre a little quick to take up for someone that couldve done something dirty. Would you still love Pelphrey if he was associated with leaking Eric Bledsoes transcripts in effort to get Cal in trouble? The leaks DID come from Florida, which most blamed it on little Pitino, but what if Pel was associated in sending it out? Which certainly could be the case here.

ADVERTISEMENT