ADVERTISEMENT

Cal has always said that "UK EATS FIRST"! I think in the old

BLUEDOUG46

Blue Chip Prospect
Jan 4, 2012
way of doing things this is correct. We are a Blue Blood, and we usually do eat first. With the new landscape of free agency, its seems everyone has a seat at the table and the small fish and the middle sized fish are holding their own with the big fish. The old Blue Bloods had better stay ahead of the curve or there may not be any Blue Bloods in ten years. We will see how Cal adapts?

way of doing things this is correct. We are a Blue Blood, and we usually do eat first. With the new landscape of free agency, its seems everyone has a seat at the table and the small fish and the middle sized fish are holding their own with the big fish. The old Blue Bloods had better stay ahead of the curve or there may not be any Blue Bloods in ten years. We will see how Cal adapts?

Do you all understand marketing? That wasn't a literal statement, it was meant to get fans, players and recruits fired up. In my lifetime the only time UK has been at top of recruiting is Cal's tenure and that covers, Hall, Sutton, Pitino, Tubby and the other guy.

Everyone has to adapt and as much as I support Cal even I'm a little concerned that we haven't added more guys to the roster yet. I have to hope that he's got some plan though.

Do you all understand marketing? That wasn't a literal statement, it was meant to get fans, players and recruits fired up. In my lifetime the only time UK has been at top of recruiting is Cal's tenure and that covers, Hall, Sutton, Pitino, Tubby and the other guy.

Everyone has to adapt and as much as I support Cal even I'm a little concerned that we haven't added more guys to the roster yet. I have to hope that he's got some plan though.
Maybe a 17 year old, just a guess at your age.

Cal was amazing his first several years here.He talked so much crap but backed every word up.Now he still talks crap but can't get the players to back it up.I don't recognize him anymore.
He also had WWW helping him behind the scenes. I’m not saying anything illegal was happening, but WWW had tons of influence.

Reactions: BLUEDOUG46

Well you must not have been paying attention because Hall and Sutton both had no.1 ranked recruiting classes . Pitino, Tubby, and yes even Billy Gillispee signed McDonald’s All Americans .

Be careful about negative comments here. The 10% who still believe in Cal will take down your post.
It’s just the same old retread crap you guys keep starting threads on that’s getting... plus no one here thinks your actually a cat fan so there’s that

Reactions: JC CATS
Chin and Antigua will help get Kentucky back on top, it’s just going to take patience from UK fans. The program has always had its highs and lows, but they always return to the top.

It’s fantasy and a marketing tool. That first season when we got John Wall and Demarcus Cousins both (holy ish) and still somehow pulled Bledsoe and kept Orton, sure: we ate first and even K and Roy were drooling.

But the very next year we lost out on Josh Selby, Kyrie Irving, and Tobias Harris and we only got Terrence Jones after that weird decommit dog and pony show. After that first year we never really ate first. And after 2015 we never even grabbed a top guy here and there. Sure we got a few great guys, but they were borderline Top 10 guys who blossomed here, or Canadian reclasses or whatever. Not guys we got because we “ate first.” That was a myth and now it’s a myth long in the rearview mirror.

Most of Cal’s great classes came from us eating third but overstacking our plate. If we can just get back near that and run an offense again I’ll be happy.

Reactions: Soupbean
Well you must not have been paying attention because Hall and Sutton both had no.1 ranked recruiting classes . Pitino, Tubby, and yes even Billy Gillispee signed McDonald’s All Americans .
There's a difference in signing a couple of McDonald's all Americans in five seasons and usually having four every year

I know some of you hate cal right now but the fact that you were trying to argue recruiting has always been as good as he's done it can't be backed up

Reactions: yoshukai

I understand marketing. I also understand how to recognize marketing campaigns that didn’t have the desired effect.

I may be wrong, but I thought a head coach making close to $10 million per season was supposed to do this, not the assistant coaches.
I’m looking at it as a positive. He said he was making changes and he did. Tubby refused to get rid of his assistants and that was the end for him. He was too loyal and buddy buddy with them. I’ll just wait until the roster is finalized, cause he already made some changes.

There's a difference in signing a couple of McDonald's all Americans in five seasons and usually having four every year

I know some of you hate cal right now but the fact that you were trying to argue recruiting has always been as good as he's done it can't be backed up
It has never been as good as it was Cals first 5 or 6 years but , UK has always recruited at a high level. Tubby was lazy as hell and didn’t put in the effort but Joe Hall signed multiple McDonald’s AA in several years, Eddie Sutton had years where he signed multi AA’s . , same with Pitino. But like you said nobody has recruited at the level Cal did in the first half of his tenure here . I will always believe WWW had ALOT to do with it and I have no problem with that . Lebron was friend of the program, Drake was all about UK , we were the cool school . Cal doesn’t have that kind of backing now , and I am skeptical he can be very successful on his own. He has addressed the assistant coaches issues though, so I’m in the wait and and see mode .

Last edited:

I have been an ardent supporter of Cal. I am merely bringing this up not for argument sake but more for opinion because the landscape is changing. Its going to be interesting to see how it plays out.

It has never been as good as it was Cals first 5 or 6 years but , UK has always recruited at a high level. Tubby was lazy as hell and didn’t put in the effort but Joe Hall signed multiple McDonald’s AA in several years, Eddie Sutton had years where he signed multi AA’s . , same with Pitino. But like you said nobody has recruited at the level Cal did in the first half of his tenure here . I will always believe WWW had ALOT to do with it and I have no problem with that . Lebron was friend of the program, Drake was all about UK , we were the cool school . Cal doesn’t have that kind of backing now , and I am skeptical he can be very successful on his own. He has addressed the assistant coaches issues though, so I’m in the wait and and see mode .

Tubby may have not worked as hard as he should have but he was also unwilling to get involved in the dirt that alot of top guys involved.

It’s fantasy and a marketing tool. That first season when we got John Wall and Demarcus Cousins both (holy ish) and still somehow pulled Bledsoe and kept Orton, sure: we ate first and even K and Roy were drooling.

But the very next year we lost out on Josh Selby, Kyrie Irving, and Tobias Harris and we only got Terrence Jones after that weird decommit dog and pony show. After that first year we never really ate first. And after 2015 we never even grabbed a top guy here and there. Sure we got a few great guys, but they were borderline Top 10 guys who blossomed here, or Canadian reclasses or whatever. Not guys we got because we “ate first.” That was a myth and now it’s a myth long in the rearview mirror.

Most of Cal’s great classes came from us eating third but overstacking our plate. If we can just get back near that and run an offense again I’ll be happy.
Monk, Fox, Bama class was stellar.

We will eat first with 1 top 20 recruit, 2 40-50 ranks and transfers and will lose 4-5 players every year.

You’re just a hater! Chill with the negativity man. Recruits read Rupp Rafters and the opinions of 30 age something/ middle aged dorks like us MATTER and have a HUGE effect on whether or not a recruit comes here or goes elsewhere. HUGE.

We are 70% responsible for losing Disu. Point blank period.

You’re just a hater! Chill with the negativity man. Recruits read Rupp Rafters and the opinions of 30 age something/ middle aged dorks like us MATTER and have a HUGE effect on whether or not a recruit comes here or goes elsewhere. HUGE.

We are 70% responsible for losing Disu. Point blank period.
If shutting down our own media means a return to our tradition then count me in.

There’s a reason and history why UK has the largest fan base in college basketball and the word starts with the letter “T”.

Obviously if you are happy with 9-16 you aren’t a fan of UK at all or you would know this was the most disgraceful season in over 100 years

Show me one place where I said I was happy with 9 and 16. Most of us are very disappointed we just don’t keep dragging in the mud the same old crap day in day out as a few of you do you on here because you have miserable freaking lives. If your life is determined by the results of a college basketball season then you have no life.

Show me one place where I said I was happy with 9 and 16. Most of us are very disappointed we just don’t keep dragging in the mud the same old crap day in day out as a few of you do you on here because you have miserable freaking lives. If your life is determined by the results of a college basketball season then you have no life.

I have an amazing life, wife, kiddos and family. Great job, warm weather is here,
I’m able to run and exercise outside daily. My life is amazing (imo). It’s legitimately never been better. At 37, I can say I’m the happiest I think I’ve ever been.

I only get so specific to shut down your silly narrative. To me it sounds more like projection on your part. You take the criticisms of John Calipari way too personally. It’s okay to criticize, even if harshly. It’s okay man.

Just because I, and others, have harsh criticisms of John Calipari and the downward trajectory of our program (our hobby) doesn’t mean we have miserable lives lol. That is such a gaslighting cop out to say. Projection maybe?

Again, this is a message board for discussion. That is it’s sole purpose. Just because it may ruffle your feathers and hurt your fefe’s doesn’t mean those opinions are “fanatical” or by people who “hate their lives”. That is just ridiculous and absolutely absurd.

Kentucky basketball is a hobby. I guarantee you most people don’t let it effect their lives as you attempt to allude.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT