ADVERTISEMENT

Cal has always said that "UK EATS FIRST"! I think in the old

It has never been as good as it was Cals first 5 or 6 years but , UK has always recruited at a high level. Tubby was lazy as hell and didn’t put in the effort but Joe Hall signed multiple McDonald’s AA in several years, Eddie Sutton had years where he signed multi AA’s . , same with Pitino. But like you said nobody has recruited at the level Cal did in the first half of his tenure here . I will always believe WWW had ALOT to do with it and I have no problem with that . Lebron was friend of the program, Drake was all about UK , we were the cool school . Cal doesn’t have that kind of backing now , and I am skeptical he can be very successful on his own. He has addressed the assistant coaches issues though, so I’m in the wait and and see mode .
Cals complete tenure is better recruiting than any other coach.
His 2nd half is jamal murray, fox,monk, bam, pj, Herro, Hagans ,IQ, Briscoe, Maxey
That 4 year stretch is as good or better than any coach we've had. Numbers wise and highly touted. Which is what being a good recruiter is based on.

Show me one place where I said I was happy with 9 and 16. Most of us are very disappointed we just don’t keep dragging in the mud the same old crap day in day out as a few of you do you on here because you have miserable freaking lives. If your life is determined by the results of a college basketball season then you have no life.
He's literally the male version of Eeyore . The donkey I the cartoon
100% of his words are negative and down in the dumps

Eat first at the Chinese buffet.

f08d194fb6111120f0606116a3d9013b.jpg

He's literally the male version of Eeyore . The donkey I the cartoon
100% of his words are negative and down in the dumps

Meh, I don’t think that’s completely accurate or even fair. As mentioned a multitude of times... just because criticisms are apparent or even harsh/ consistent doesn’t mean someone is eeyore, or negative or upset in their real life etc. The fact that many lifelong fans are critical or “upset” doesn’t mean their intentions or overall outlook is nefarious.

Honest question (and I’m not saying it’s at an equal level...yet) but do you think lifelong Nebraska football fans who still frequent message boards etc are “eeyore” it they continue to criticize bad coaching, bad hires, lousy games etc? Should they just... stop caring as much? Or train themselves to accept mediocrity despite previous dominance?

Meh, I don’t think that’s completely accurate or even fair. As mentioned a multitude of times... just because criticisms are apparent or even harsh/ consistent doesn’t mean someone is eeyore, or negative or upset in their real life etc. The fact that many lifelong fans are critical or “upset” doesn’t mean their intentions or overall outlook is nefarious.

Honest question (and I’m not saying it’s at an equal level...yet) but do you think lifelong Nebraska football fans who still frequent message boards etc are “eeyore” it they continue to criticize bad coaching, bad hires, lousy games etc? Should they just... stop caring as much? Or train themselves to accept mediocrity despite previous dominance?
I don't say everyone that's critical is

You are on a whole dif level
You are the one.
Take pride in it because it's obviously on purpose.

Show me one place where I said I was happy with 9 and 16. Most of us are very disappointed we just don’t keep dragging in the mud the same old crap day in day out as a few of you do you on here because you have miserable freaking lives. If your life is determined by the results of a college basketball season then you have no life.
Notice how all of the conspiracies vs poor Cal talk stopped as soon as he let the kids kneel.....funny that

Like Askew?

We couldn’t even get Calipari’s son to stay here 😂
Gotta have kids without options if you don't want them to consider options. This is how college rolls these days. Well, that is if you want to understand how it actually works. If you just want to bitch and cry, then by all means stick your head in the sand.

Gotta have kids without options if you don't want them to consider options. This is how college rolls these days. Well, that is if you want to understand how it actually works. If you just want to bitch and cry, then by all means stick your head in the sand.
If Brad and Askew and Fletcher have other options then everyone will. The trick is recruiting kids to stay here and not to leave as soon as the grass looks greener. Its a cultural thing not a matter of getting the worst of the worst.

Reactions: STL_Cat
He had the #1 recruiting class last year + the #1 transfer. He has the top #2 transfers in the nation already signed this year and likely has at least 1 of Carr or Tyty secretly committed. The way some of you act make it seem like we have had multiple classes ranked outside the top 10, its not Cal's fault Hickman wasnt man enough to travel across country to play for the best program to get to the NBA.

Man, I despise that people take this quote out of context, he was referencing when the team stops at Waffle House in Lexington after a tough game, they get head of the line privileges.

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
I don't say everyone that's critical is

You are on a whole dif level
You are the one.
Take pride in it because it's obviously on purpose.

So, what about the question in regards to Nebraska football? Eeyores? Nah?

How are all these guys miserable in their lives or eeyores? The ones that post on this forum? Is it because when discussing this last season it’s negative? That seems like a given no?

I think you would find that majority of the “eeyores” on here were once, as recently as just a few years ago, huge huge supporters of John Calipari. Up until a year or two ago I was constantly called a sunshine pumper. Constantly.

You trying to act like those harshly critical are miserable or “eeyores” just seems like a way to dismiss their valid points, critiques and concerns. Just my opinion tho.

If Brad and Askew and Fletcher have other options then everyone will. The trick is recruiting kids to stay here and not to leave as soon as the grass looks greener. Its a cultural thing not a matter of getting the worst of the worst.
Brad's option was that he wanted to play and could on other teams. So he left. Net impact = 0. Askew and Fletcher probably thought they could shine brighter on other teams. If you need to have something to have cramps over, then by all means, cramp away. But these had a net impact of zilch.

Cultural? Yeah, in terms of the whole of college basketball. There's is this thing call the transfer portal . . .

Chin and Antigua will help get Kentucky back on top, it’s just going to take patience from UK fans. The program has always had its highs and lows, but they always return to the top.
Why does it take patience? Cal brought in a monster class his first year here. Is Cal no longer Cal? Is Cal all about his assistants now and no longer the recruit whisperer?

way of doing things this is correct. We are a Blue Blood, and we usually do eat first. With the new landscape of free agency, its seems everyone has a seat at the table and the small fish and the middle sized fish are holding their own with the big fish. The old Blue Bloods had better stay ahead of the curve or there may not be any Blue Bloods in ten years. We will see how Cal adapts?
If we are not eating first Cal needs to look in the mirror and ask why?

This is what the CLOD asked for. If you want kids to stay, you better recruit kids without the option to leave.
IMHO, if you want a talented team, you recruit over everyone. If players are not loyal to UK then why be loyal to them. If UK is about the players then give them a taste of the real world. Recruit the best players period. Position be damned Why would anyone recruit anyone who is not ego driven and loves the competition? Give me a team of Chuck Hayes’s

IMHO, if you want a talented team, you recruit over everyone. If players are not loyal to UK then why be loyal to them. If UK is about the players then give them a taste of the real world. Recruit the best players period. Position be damned Why would anyone recruit anyone who is not ego driven and loves the competition? Give me a team of Chuck Hayes’s
I agree. Get the best available. Many have cried over it though

With new transfer rules, HS players being able to go straight to G-league, and more lax return rules for NBA declarees, it is a New World. So whoever adjusts the fastest is who will succeed.

Brad's option was that he wanted to play and could on other teams. So he left. Net impact = 0. Askew and Fletcher probably thought they could shine brighter on other teams. If you need to have something to have cramps over, then by all means, cramp away. But these had a net impact of zilch.

Cultural? Yeah, in terms of the whole of college basketball. There's is this thing call the transfer portal . . .
If you think Cal’s “NBA, NBA, NBA!” recruiting pitch doesn’t attract and encourage a “me first” attitude then I have a bridge to sell you.

And don’t act like everyone is having the issues we’re having - name some other teams with a roster as depleted and incomplete as ours right now. And we just went 9-16 smh, “succeed and proceed” has become “fail and bail”

Last edited:
If you don’t think Cal’s “NBA, NBA, NBA!” recruiting pitch doesn’t attract and encourage a “me first” attitude then I have a bridge to sell you.

And don’t act like everyone is having the issues we’re having - name some other teams with a roster as depleted and incomplete as ours right now. And we just went 9-16 smh, “succeed and proceed” has become “fail and bail”
Laugh. Yes, Cal taught me that we have many that are too stupid to understand coach speak. Whine, whine, whine. If you can't take the game, you should stop watching.

Laugh. Yes, Cal taught me that we have many that are too stupid to understand coach speak. Whine, whine, whine. If you can't take the game, you should stop watching.
The fans have nothing to do with it, the problem is if the players believe him. Would you prefer they think him a liar? I guess that could explain our drop off in recruiting elite prospects the past half decade.

The fans have nothing to do with it, the problem is if the players believe him. Would you prefer they think him a liar? I guess that could explain our drop off in recruiting elite prospects the past half decade.
It’s fans started the bullshit label in the first place. Cal is just marketing his program. A few idiot fans thought he was talking to them. Bottom line is every successful organization has more than one priority. Which ones get stressed depends on the audience. Anyone which half a brain or has been around the corporate environment knows this.

It’s fans started the bullshit label in the first place. Cal is just marketing his program. A few idiot fans thought he was talking to them. Bottom line is every successful organization has more than one priority. Which ones get stressed depends on the audience. Anyone which half a brain or has been around the corporate environment knows this.
As always you’re trying to sidestep the topic in order to make all of Cal’s problems about the fans or anybody but him. The fans put no words in Cal’s mouth.

Ignore the fans: Do the players believe Cal’s recruiting pitch about the program being #1 about them and getting them to the NBA? Because if they do, they’re coming here with a “me first” and “get mine” attitude. The fans created none of that culture.

Anyone with half a brain knows the culture is dictated from the top down, and competent management takes responsibility for it and it’s outcomes. Cal owns this #1 in the nation roster turnover.

Reactions: OHIO COLONEL
Depends what's on the menu these days...

camp-cal.jpg
Well we are eating carp these days. Suckers are even off limits. Trout and bass have been eaten by the carp. Blue gill left the waters with Joe B. Lots of soft shell turtles still around though. Guess they are eating the catfish. Haven’t seen a good cat in awhile.

As always you’re trying to sidestep the topic in order to make all of Cal’s problems about the fans or anybody but him. The fans put no words in Cal’s mouth.

Ignore the fans: Do the players believe Cal’s recruiting pitch about the program being #1 about them and getting them to the NBA? Because if they do, they’re coming here with a “me first” and “get mine” attitude. The fans created none of that culture.

Anyone with half a brain knows the culture is dictated from the top down, and competent management takes responsibility for it and it’s outcomes. Cal owns this #1 in the nation roster turnover.
The players want paying if they can manage it. Listen, it’s this way. Cal was talking to players families. You heard about it. Like a number of other ‘special’ fans, you think he is always talking to you. So now you look really silly except to the other gullible fans.

There is no such culture dictated by the staff. We get players with options. They want paying. Unlike Duke, U6, UNC and the other scumbag programs, we don’t pay. Players exercise their options. Hence turnover. Not you can scream about NBA all you want. Folks believe in big foot too.

way of doing things this is correct. We are a Blue Blood, and we usually do eat first. With the new landscape of free agency, its seems everyone has a seat at the table and the small fish and the middle sized fish are holding their own with the big fish. The old Blue Bloods had better stay ahead of the curve or there may not be any Blue Bloods in ten years. We will see how Cal adapts?

Tradition matters. UK will always be a blue blood. I’ve zero doubts Cal will adapt.

Problem is other schools are writing checks before UK tucks their napkin in at the table, and there's not as much prime rib at the buffet as before.

The landscape has changed and the recruiting challenges are here to stay - period. So it I'm Cal I'm telling myself its time for ME to be a difference maker in practice and on the sidelines. Put aside all the posturing, cliches, and mind games and must plain coach these guys up better than anybody else. We may not have the talent we were used to but its still going to be top level so take them whoever they are and YOU be difference Cal.

Reactions: STL_Cat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT