ADVERTISEMENT

Papa John resigns from UL Athletics Board

He should resign. If the big problem is having the same board members on every board, then he should be willing to step down, stay on the BOT and let others manage the athletics.
In the article it mentioned he was on 3 or 4 boards and the presidential search committee. That is too much power in too few hands.

Hmmm. So, this is how I look at this. Jurich naturally has relationships with the "money movers". First thing he did when he got to town was work on cultivating those relationships. It is, in fact, what gives him power - that, and the rise of UofL athletics under his watch, which gives him credibility. (I'm talking won/loss records, championships, growth of programs, raising of athletics budget - which apparently makes forgivable or irrelevant the scandals and rogue behavior.) There is no pro team here, as far as athletics - far as entertainment, period - in this town, it's UofL. So the "money movers" naturally want to be associated with it. You want to know how Jurich controls media? It's because of his relationship with money guys/advertisers, which is how media make money. You don't like the tone of stories WHAS is running? You don't complain to WHAS directly, you call the guys who advertise on WHAS and get them to complain.

Papa John, on the other hand, has only incidental relations with other money guys. Maybe they are neighbors, maybe they golf at the same place, whatever. It's coincidental. They know each other, and that's about it. He's known to be kinda quirky and difficult, to be honest.

So between those two, if you're counting votes among money guys whose votes count, it's no contest.
You just described how America works. Doubt any others will see the same parallel.

PJ stated before he believes the athletic department has to be taken control of if the board of trustees wants to fix the university. I see his departure from the athletics board as the next natural step in reigning in the athletic department. His vision for moving forward with the university is contradictory to the vision of the athletics board.

PJ adds money to the university, Jurich bleeds it dry. Wonder who will win this battle?

PJ stated before he believes the athletic department has to be taken control of if the board of trustees wants to fix the university. I see his departure from the athletics board as the next natural step in reigning in the athletic department. His vision for moving forward with the university is contradictory to the vision of the athletics board.
The problem is he said it, but never gave any indication of his meaning. He would not elaborate on what needs correcting. That leaves it all to imagination.
Anyone can run with any rumor and say it relates to PJS.

Gonna lose another 48 million next year, on top of losing 47 million this year. Heck, the donations are down 39 million this year alone, according to another article. Wonder how many fans buy tickets, when the price doubles.

Papa may have carefully planned this. Maybe he "wants" his name off the stadium. Doesn't want company name to have anything to do with ul athletics

I am confident all the Louisville 'journalists' are in sync by not reporting anything negative Jurich, Pitino, Petrino. Incredible despite the level of corruption.

And I'd like to see the numbers that show UL is going to be losing donations like that. It should require a total school turnover if that was happening.

You just described how America works. Doubt any others will see the same parallel.
Yeah. Glad we have you to explain it to us plebs.

And glad handling, gerrymandering, vote-buying, media-favor-pulling, lobbyist-enabling lifer bureaucrats have always been such universally admired figures in our society - what will we ever do if you criticize them in the same breath as the mess that is UL?

Reactions: wildcatwelder
I think this only the beginning. PJ knows there's a lot of negative information in the back room that hasn't been publicly announced and is on its way. This move, I believe, is to distance himself from UL before the implosion of UL athletics.
I mean PJ has run a billion dollar business. He has seen the goings on at UL, no AD that has to answer to someone. Raising tuition, bleeding arena, AD and former Pres were getting pay outs, money just pulled out of sky with no explanation and reason. A guy who runs a billion dollar empire probably would like to see the balance sheet. Expanding stadium, money not being accounted for.
Pitino has embarrassed him. The fact that it is called the Yum center and not Papa Johns Arena is also reason to question. I mean Papa John is sole reason UL is in ACC and has improved FB program and overall athletic dept. He has earned right.

Papa is probably trying to keep his distance, this is a deal in AD and president's office that could send people to jail. Most people close to the inner workings on audit of arena, funds and pay outs say people are going to go to jail. It is going to happen. Jurich is trying to buddy up with the guys who he thinks holds the get out of jail card, these guys who will cover him and UL, tow the company line.

I have heard from a lot of people that John and Cal really like each other a lot. Great buds. Maybe Papa throws his money toward Cal. I would not be surprised that Papa will finance a lot of the Rupp re work.

I mean PJ has run a billion dollar business. He has seen the goings on at UL, no AD that has to answer to someone. Raising tuition, bleeding arena, AD and former Pres were getting pay outs, money just pulled out of sky with no explanation and reason. A guy who runs a billion dollar empire probably would like to see the balance sheet. Expanding stadium, money not being accounted for.
Pitino has embarrassed him. The fact that it is called the Yum center and not Papa Johns Arena is also reason to question. I mean Papa John is sole reason UL is in ACC and has improved FB program and overall athletic dept. He has earned right.

Papa is probably trying to keep his distance, this is a deal in AD and president's office that could send people to jail. Most people close to the inner workings on audit of arena, funds and pay outs say people are going to go to jail. It is going to happen. Jurich is trying to buddy up with the guys who he thinks holds the get out of jail card, these guys who will cover him and UL, tow the company line.

I have heard from a lot of people that John and Cal really like each other a lot. Great buds. Maybe Papa throws his money toward Cal. I would not be surprised that Papa will finance a lot of the Rupp re work.
Pitino and the whole sex scandal cringed PJ who has relationships built with the Peyton Manning types of professionalism. Something is about to erupt in Louisville.

latest

Have you really heard from reputable people that the audit results will result in criminal charges? Sure wouldn't surprise me.

2 things I want out of this.
1) Get papa johns pizza back in concessions at UK Games, hunt brothers sucks

2)Get PJ to start funding UK over loserville.
Random story, I live in Louisville and his neighbors have been complaining about how often he uses his helacoper between 2-4 AM lol, he gives no F's

Reactions: midniter
Have you really heard from reputable people that the audit results will result in criminal charges? Sure wouldn't surprise me.
I have heard from reputable people that there are gobs of money not accounted for under Ramsay, big pay outs, no accountability just hand shakes and 6 million dollar pay outs. One thing to pay people if you have it your budget and paper, another thing to just throw millions around and pay consultants, teachers, some of this money went to former employees, lawsuits, just people saying I am going to give you 6 million retention fee. The non transparency and the way of doing business is what PJ is probably mad about.

Does this mean they have to take down the "Papa Johns" off their football stadium too?

All good except PJ was not interested in sponsoring the YUM. They don't just name the stadiums and arenas for who they like. They are multi million dollar naming rights deals. PapaJohn's UL Stadium deal is one of the lower priced deals in D1. It's a sweet deal for him but he might not renew when the agreement is up! Then they'll be begging him for those marketing dollars.

The university is $47 million in debt? Oh no! Gotta fix that quick. Uavel athletics needs a school for their student athletes to attend.

Haven't read this entire thread but PappaJohn and his wife have already given five million to UK. I would hope certain posters on here would appreciate the man

Reactions: Kybluedude
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT