ADVERTISEMENT

Could Golden be Donovan 2.0

Jan 27, 2023
We’re not talking about Todd Golden enough yet on this board. I’m not fully sold, but I’m getting close. I think he may be a bit of a “star” in the making. He’s got a similar demeanor as young Donovan. Focused, calm, calculating, and cocky.

He’s the guy, along with Tommy Llyod, that I think are going to be UK ready, UK caliber, and be able to back it up when UK actually makes a coaching change in a couple/few years. Most of the other options are either too old or too volatile.

Sadly, Florida is a great job. Florida athletics has a ton of resources. Florida’s fans might be a bit fair weather, but they pretty ravenous across the entire athletics spectrum. They’re great fans when their teams are good. Arizona is also a great job. Great place to live. Truly a basketball state (too hot for football). And a dedicated fanbase.

Last edited:
I think Golden is a very good coach. His set pieces coming out of timeouts are very well drawn up and Florida almost always scores. Florida isn't really a program you turn around immediately and he's shown slow and stead improvement. He's definitely a coach to watch.

Will be interesting to see how they do in tourney. I agree OP. He seems to be one to keep an eye on. That said, things can change quickly. Look at Gates at Mizzou....

Anyhow, I have brought Golden up a few times... especially after seeing what he did with the Dons. He took them to tournament as an at large...not something very common in mid major. Played a good Murray team closely.

Reactions: WildcatsAndBourbon
He has Florida Basketball relevant again and trending in the right direction. A young, up and coming coach like him is who I would like to see UK target that is hungry and make Kentucky their destination job whenever the time comes Cal is no longer here.

Reactions: WildcatsAndBourbon
I’m seriously worried about you man, you can’t be this stupid

1-1 against Florida this season
0-1 against Florida at Home

And you’re okay with these numbers
You call me stupid but you have to put words in my mouth to try to mental gymnastics your way into a point. It’s honestly super pathetic and childish.

• Haha
Reactions: drew_ukfan
We’re not talking about Todd Golden enough yet on this board. I’m not fully sold, but I’m getting close. I think he may be a bit of a “star” in the making. He’s got a similar demeanor as young Donovan. Focused, calm, calculating, and cocky.

He’s the guy, along with Tommy Llyod, that I think are going to be UK ready, UK caliber, and be able to back it up when UK actually makes a coaching change in a couple/few years. Most of the other options are either too old or too volatile.

Sadly, Florida is a great job. Florida athletics has a ton of resources. Florida’s fans might be a bit fair weather, but they pretty ravenous across the entire athletics spectrum. They’re great fans when their teams are good. Arizona is also a great job. Great place to live. Truly a basketball state (too hot for football). And a dedicated fanbase.
I am impressed. He has assembled a great collection of young players and he seems to get the most from them. He certainly makes the list of next potential great coaches to watch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT