ADVERTISEMENT

Over the last two games Wagner has missed 11 3 point shots in a row.

Auburn basically played 5 on 4 defense on several possessions when Wagner was on the floor and invited him to shoot from beyond the arc.
Teams have also done the same with Edwards and Bradshaw(when he's on the perimeter). That's what good defenses do: cover the shooters and leave the bricklayers open. They lay off Thiero too but at least he'll get closer to the basket. When Ugo or Bradshaw are in the game with Edwards and Wagner, if you were the other coach wouldn't you cover the other 2 guys and dare those 3 to shoot?

Reactions: Wildcatjedi
I hope this doesn't happen again but it's not hard for me to imagine Wagner, like Wheeler, not playing because of an injury and then not returning to action for UK.

I love DJ and think he is an important part of our team, but if other teams don't respect his jump shot, it's going to cause issues for us. Your PG must be able to knock down an open perimeter shot, or at least be perceived as a threat to do so.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Wagner will get there. While I hate the excuse, he is pretty young. His only real strength is driving. It worked in HS, but not against college players. He has the build, but his first step isn't nearly quick enough right now. He's probably realized that and will just let it fly now instead. Wagner will be a good player, it just won't be for us.
Agree to disagree. He just doesn't have it . Just look at the difference between he and Rob. Reed is much better than he is, but he will struggle as well.

Last edited:
You can watch them all take one 3 pt shot and can tell Shepherd, Dillingham, and Reeves all are much better shooters than Wagner. He has a very weird 2-hand release. All good shooters at least have one hand come off first then the other releases through the shot. Never going to be consistent with a 2-hand release.

As a coach, it's a tough situation. For someone like DJ, you HAVE to tell him to attack, to be aggressive, to play confident. That's the only way he can reach his ceiling. Kinda similar with CJ Frederick, even when he's slumping and missing shots, you still have to tell him he has the absolute green light. They have to play with confidence and freedom in order to produce.

DJ just has to navigate those waters. For example, he should NOT take 3's early in the shot clock, but he can take 3s. He can NOT take 3s off the bounce, but he can take kick-out 3s. He doesn't shoot from the perimeter at a high enough clip to take 3's other than feet planted, kickout ready shots

Your two paragraphs don’t match. You can’t have an absolute green light with restrictions on what kind of shot you can take.

If you mean absolute green light to take high quality shots, I hope that applies to everyone.

A bunch of them have been several feet behind the line and some contested. And he was hitting 30% or so at the start of that streak.
Why is he still playing ahead of Dilly and Sheppard?
Because he is a favorite and promised by the greatest non coach in all of basketball 🏀

• Angry
You can watch them all take one 3 pt shot and can tell Shepherd, Dillingham, and Reeves all are much better shooters than Wagner. He has a very weird 2-hand release. All good shooters at least have one hand come off first then the other releases through the shot. Never going to be consistent with a 2-hand release.
With a grandfather and dad that could shoot, you'd think this wouldn't be the case.

Cal's says keep shooting...you're due...

ooAqedH.png

Do some of these kids not just shoot after practice. Maybe they do and don't hear about it. But besides practice I would be shooting like 500 times a days if I was in a funk.

• Love
A bunch of them have been several feet behind the line and some contested. And he was hitting 30% or so at the start of that streak.
Why is he still playing ahead of Dilly and Sheppard?
He does NOT play ahead of Sheppard! Sheppard plays more minutes than Wagner. He does play more than Rob. But Rob often limits his own minutes with silly fouls, in 36% of games he has played he has had 4 or 5 fouls limiting his minutes. But yeah, I’d like to see Rob on the floor more. The last 8 games Reed has averaged 33.6 mpg.

Do some of these kids not just shoot after practice. Maybe they do and don't hear about it. But besides practice I would be shooting like 500 times a days if I was in a funk.
Probably makes them just shooting around :

It’s different when those bright lights are on

This is my continued Cal in game lack of coaching instruction I will never understand. Why is it wrong or hard to instruct players on what to do or not? DJ, you have a great first step and get yourself into the paint for jump shots which is what I need you to do or drives when available. In a tight game I don't want you to be the one taking 3's. Set up Reed, Rob, and Reeves. Burkes, you are not to take any jump shots that's not your game at this point. Respect that every offensive possession counts and I need you down low if I am putting you in the game.

Know your roles, your strengths, and let's coach that for each of the players during the game.

Last edited:
Your two paragraphs don’t match. You can’t have an absolute green light with restrictions on what kind of shot you can take.

If you mean absolute green light to take high quality shots, I hope that applies to everyone.
You might need to go back and read again. The "absolute green light" was applied to CJ Frederick, you know, a supposed knock-down shooter. It was an example I was providing, in which I clearly stated CJ's name to it. Even a slumping shooter needs to be given the confidence to keep firing away.

2nd paragraph, about DJ, references that he's NOT a great shooter, so he SHOULD have limits to what kind of perimeter shots he takes. A little surprising I had to go back and clarify that, but hope it heps

You might need to go back and read again. The "absolute green light" was applied to CJ Frederick, you know, a supposed knock-down shooter. It was an example I was providing, in which I clearly stated CJ's name to it. Even a slumping shooter needs to be given the confidence to keep firing away.

2nd paragraph, about DJ, references that he's NOT a great shooter, so he SHOULD have limits to what kind of perimeter shots he takes. A little surprising I had to go back and clarify that, but hope it heps
I see what you intended now. Sorry you had to suffer through the surprise of being misunderstood. Hope you heal quickly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT