ADVERTISEMENT

OT: This is tough, need some prayers and strength

BlueWorldOrder

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 18, 2004
I brought up quite a few months ago the situation with my uncle whos suffering from dementia. This past week it went from bad to worse. A couple of days before Thanksgiving he went through extreme paranoia. Was threatening the lives of not only myself but also his wife and their dog. We found ourselves going to my aunt's sister's house for the night while her stepson stayed with him.

when we returned he was fine, but as it got later and the recent time change, he got really confused and spent the rest of the night explaining how to do a certain job, where he use to work at, and how everything had to be precise. He didn't fall asleep until 4 am that morning.

Thanksgiving day was terrible, he had a rough night due to basically being up two days straight. I believe he has had a stroke and probably having mini strokes to go along with his dementia. He now can not speak right, it all comes out jibberish, It breaks my heart seeing him this way.

I'm trying my best to help out best I can with my limited capabilities being physically disabled. Just really need strength and prayers here to help me get through this turmoil affecting my life at this moment. My aunt needs them as well, this could cause her to have a mental breakdown. She wants to keep him home but I don't think she will be able to do this by herself other people in the family want to help out but they've got their own families to look out for. We are having his doctor stop by the house to check on him and see what the best option is to do.
Oddly enough this morning seemed like he was trending up on getting better, I made him breakfast and he ate really well, seemed to be walking better, even speaking a bit better and within a few hours, he went right back downhill very fast.

Sorry about venting here about our situation it's just been really tough on me and had to let it out.

I brought up quite a few months ago the situation with my uncle whos suffering from dementia. This past week it went from bad to worse. A couple of days before Thanksgiving he went through extreme paranoia. Was threatening the lives of not only myself but also his wife and their dog. We found ourselves going to my aunt's sister's house for the night while her stepson stayed with him.

when we returned he was fine, but as it got later and the recent time change, he got really confused and spent the rest of the night explaining how to do a certain job, where he use to work at, and how everything had to be precise. He didn't fall asleep until 4 am that morning.

Thanksgiving day was terrible, he had a rough night due to basically being up two days straight. I believe he has had a stroke and probably having mini strokes to go along with his dementia. He now can not speak right, it all comes out jibberish, It breaks my heart seeing him this way.

I'm trying my best to help out best I can with my limited capabilities being physically disabled. Just really need strength and prayers here to help me get through this turmoil affecting my life at this moment. My aunt needs them as well, this could cause her to have a mental breakdown. She wants to keep him home but I don't think she will be able to do this by herself other people in the family want to help out but they've got their own families to look out for. We are having his doctor stop by the house to check on him and see what the best option is to do.
Oddly enough this morning seemed like he was trending up on getting better, I made him breakfast and he ate really well, seemed to be walking better, even speaking a bit better and within a few hours, he went right back downhill very fast.

Sorry about venting here about our situation it's just been really tough on me and had to let it out.
Praying for you , your uncle , and your family my fellow BBN brother!

Prayers, BWO. I had a front row seat for dementia with my uncle and grandfather. The doctor said my mother's going to have it also.
Thanks my friend, yeah it's very hard to go through with a loved one like that. 2 diseases I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemies cancer and dementia. both run in my family and watched them take down family members one by one

I went through this with my father - 1977/78. He had Alzheimers and got to the point where he didn't know me or my mother. He would wander around all night and someone had to constantly look out for him. I remember one of his last nights at home he went in the bathroom and built a fire in the bathtub. We had no one that could take care of him. I worked two jobs and my mother could not handle him so we were forced to place him in a nursing home. He died about 6 months later.

So my prayers and heart go with you, BKO. I know exactly what you are going through.

Prayers man, my grandmother went through the Exact same thing, her dementia gradly got worse and worse, as did the paranoia and she had a stroke as well. The frustrating part is for person going thorough the dementia there is nothing you can really do but be there for your other family members and for the person experiencing the dementia. But prayers through this tough time for you and your family

Last edited:
Why not put in a facility? There is a point where family care is not enough. May God give you strength and wisdom.

BWO my BBN brother i will add you and you family to our prayer list . It’s such a painful thing to have to watch a loved one go through that . My father in law who is one of 5e nicest people you could ever meet went through that and now is in a rest home and knows nothing

Why not put in a facility? There is a point where family care is not enough. May God give you strength and wisdom.
For safety’s sake. We had a family friend get in his truck and start driving. Nobody knew where he was. Turned up two states away. We tend to hang on to the moments they are lucid and allow those moments to make us forget how bad the episodes really are.

Sorry to hear this friend. I will be praying for you and your uncle. May God be gracious to you all. 🙏

Prayers for your situation, family and mental health of your uncle. I ask the Lord Jesus to comfort those affected and provide the means to deal with this situation, Thank you for our brother BWO for sharing to us so we know how to pray.

Prayers sent for you and your family. My mother-in-law is suffering the early phases of dementia. It is really difficult to see someone go through that.

BWO i am praying for your family. My Dad had dementia, he was the most loving man anyone wanted to meet but he gave my Mom a hard time ( this is just part of the side affects of dementia). Who ever is the caregiver is the one they turn on. They just can not help what they are doing. God bless you and all the family.

Oh honey
You have my love and prayers…and If there is ANYTHING I can do to help just please let me know. Just shoot an email or contact me via pm here.
Love you brother

Going thru the same thing with my wife’s father, he gets worse daily. He can’t stand up anymore, his basic motor functions are gone. He has fits of rage. It’s a terrible thing and you have my sympathy and prayers. I wouldn’t wish this disease on my worst enemy. We hope to have a nurse come in soon because they don’t want him rotting away in a care center, he basically needs to be spoon fed and no matter how good of a place you find they don’t have the staff to help every patient 24/7.

BWO i am praying for your family. My Dad had dementia, he was the most loving man anyone wanted to meet but he gave my Mom a hard time ( this is just part of the side affects of dementia). Who ever is the caregiver is the one they turn on. They just can not help what they are doing. God bless you and all the family.
It’s horrible, I know exactly what you mean too.

• Sad
Reactions: BBUK
My brother BWO, my heart and prayers going out for your uncle, aunt and you…

I can relate, my Mom (96) is fully into dementia- some days better, some days worse… early evening starts an increase in her dementia… the medical profession refer to it as “sundowners syndrome”. I am fortunate that my sister moved in with Mom, three years ago…but now my sister is experiencing her own medical issues…being almost 5,000 miles away doesn’t make it easier…

Please know that your uncle is in my prayers… if you don’t mind, would you share his first name?

Mahalo BWO

AlohaCat

God bless you and your family BWO. You've single handidly have made it easier for me to catch the games because i work night shifts. Hope all works out the best it can for you. A legend on this site for all You've put into what you do. All respect

It's a hard choice to put a loved one in a nursing home. If you’re having difficulty taking care of him in a safe manor then it may be the best option for all involved. Another poster pointed out correctly that nursing home are terribly understaffed, but they still may be better equipped to take care of him. If you’re committed to keeping him home then ask for a short term mental hospital stay to help adjust medications and see if bringing him back home is feasible. It would give you a chance to let experts evaluate him, check for infections, and imbalances in his lab work. No matter what you do, be honest with yourselves and the Doctor. Trying to take care of someone that’s paranoid and threatening violence is not easy to do for professionals. The average person would have a terrible time.

I have had many similar stories in my family. We swore we would never put our grandmother in a nursing home. She had advancing dementia and was threatening violence toward my mother. At times, drawing back to hit her. That sealed her admission into a nursing home. We couldn’t keep her safe or anyone safe from her. We did what I recommend to anyone that puts a loved one in a home. We showed up every day and helped take care of her. We had multiple family members rotate in and out. One of my parents or siblings was there every day and I went in at night. We made sure by being there that she was taking care of properly. Part of that was getting our hands dirty and taking care of some things ourselves.

I worked in a mental hospital for several years and took care of a loved at home when they were fully psychotic, (no insurance, so they discharged them to home). If I hadn’t worked psychiatrics it would have been a bigger mess than it already was. Just reading your post has brought back that rotting desperate feeling I had years ago. I really feel for you. You and yours will remain in my thoughts.

It's a hard choice to put a loved one in a nursing home. If you’re having difficulty taking care of him in a safe manor then it may be the best option for all involved. Another poster pointed out correctly that nursing home are terribly understaffed, but they still may be better equipped to take care of him. If you’re committed to keeping him home then ask for a short term mental hospital stay to help adjust medications and see if bringing him back home is feasible. It would give you a chance to let experts evaluate him, check for infections, and imbalances in his lab work. No matter what you do, be honest with yourselves and the Doctor. Trying to take care of someone that’s paranoid and threatening violence is not easy to do for professionals. The average person would have a terrible time.

I have had many similar stories in my family. We swore we would never put our grandmother in a nursing home. She had advancing dementia and was threatening violence toward my mother. At times, drawing back to hit her. That sealed her admission into a nursing home. We couldn’t keep her safe or anyone safe from her. We did what I recommend to anyone that puts a loved one in a home. We showed up every day and helped take care of her. We had multiple family members rotate in and out. One of my parents or siblings was there every day and I went in at night. We made sure by being there that she was taking care of properly. Part of that was getting our hands dirty and taking care of some things ourselves.

I worked in a mental hospital for several years and took care of a loved at home when they were fully psychotic, (no insurance, so they discharged them to home). If I hadn’t worked psychiatrics it would have been a bigger mess than it already was. Just reading your post has brought back that rotting desperate feeling I had years ago. I really feel for you. You and yours will remain in my thoughts.
It takes an entire family to care for someone in that state. It’s very hard. Like you said nursing homes help but you still have to be there or else they won’t get the total care they deserves because it practically impossible with all the patients.

Prayers for all of you.

Prayers sent my BBN friend

Prayers are with you, my friend. I knew someone who did exactly what you described. They would talk gibberish, no comprehensive words and then start laughing out loud. It's a terrible thing to go through for them but also for the loved ones around them. Hope you see improvement but also, what may be best for them and all others, a peaceful passing at some near point. Hope that's not harsh, just the reality of that horrible illness.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT