ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Is Pop still considered in the NBA coach GOAT conversation?

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
Yes, he won championships with a ridiculously loaded roster. Since then...not so much. The past several years, they've been completely awful, showing no signs of revitalization. I totally get that coaches need good players but sure doesn't appear to me that SA has improved over the past few years with 'upgrading' the roster and all of his 'genius'. Wemby looks to be a star, but they're on pace to win <20 games this year.

I don't really follow the NBA but lived in SA for several years (2007 was the first and a championship year), so I very casually look at their box score. They're really bad this year and have been bad for several years.

Reactions: BlueBomb
I don't think he's in the running for GOAT but he is definitely an all-time great. Very few coaches have won championships without star studded rosters. The last few years have been a rebuild that will be over soon. Some games this year all five starters have been 23 or younger and several 20 or younger. The other night against the Lakers their 19 year old 7'5" not a bust rookie scored 27 with 10 rebounds, 8 assists, 5 blocks, and 5 steals. They will likely be near .500 the last 30 games this year and will have another lottery pick next year and tons of cap money. The Spurs future looks VERY bright.

The GOAT is Auerbach.

After that there’s a discussion.

Some will say Jackson. Maybe Riley?

Pop is in the conversation. Kerr maybe one day?

Hubie. Red Holtzman (sp?)

Spoelstra is a genius coach. Russell was a hell of a coach in addition to his play.

Lue is very good. Many love Doc.

Last edited:
Reactions: ukfan1622
Someone brought up "woke" because Popovich is woke. It's as simple as that. Nowadays, he's just as much of a political talking head as he is a basketball coach. So someone pointing out his very aggressive politics is totally appropriate.
Thank you . Pop brought this on himself — he chose to be an activist / influencer. Like I said , still a great coach

Good points on both sides. I think I agree that he's certainly top 10 but not in the conversation for best ever. I will say that, if the Spurs sputter for another few years before he retires, he may not be viewed as a top 10 coach but more of a coach who fell backasswards into the butter with Robinson, Duncan, Ginobili, Kawhi and Parker making him look much better than he actually was.

Phil Jackson and Red Auerbach are a clear 1-2 for me. I'd put Riley next as the current 7 year slide by Pop (the last 5 really bad) takes him a step down imo. Pop would definitely be considered for #4.

Reactions: gamecockcat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT