ADVERTISEMENT

Orlando Sentinel asks if NCAA will investigate Kansas and Duke...

If competing schools presidents don’t voice their objections over blatant bias and special treatment the NCAA gives to certain schools then nothing will change. No amount of fan or media pressure will matter to them, if UNC is allowed to cheat and Duke isn’t held responsible for player actions then everyone is playing against a stacked deck.

It won’t happen because the presidents only care if the school gets their slice of the financial pie. They don’t have the same interests that fans have but then the fans will never use their voice to bring action. That would require a boycott more or less, BBN swings the mightiest stick in that regard but there’s zero chance of revolting for a year. So get used to an uneven playing field, it’s never going away. Allowed to cheat by the NCAA both those schools will eventually pass UK in titles.

Last edited:
Kansas is and will be investigated. The NCAA will not investigate Duke. They didn't investigate Lance Thomas who, though hailing from bought 100K of jewelry (70K on credit) while a student at Duke (during its championship season) and the NCAA didn't ask questions after Thomas and the jeweler refused to speak. The NCAA didn't investigate Duke after Marvin Bagley's family was given $$$ by Nike and lived in a subdivision where the houses run 750K+ 9 years after filing for bankruptcy and 6 years after their former home was sold at auction. The NCAA also didn't investigate when Bagley who struggled to be eligible for his junior year in HS suddenly was able to complete his entire senior year in a few months. As I said earlier about that issue, there is absolutely zero way the NCAA would allow Coach Cal to do what Coach K got away with. The NCAA is not going investigate anything. They can investigate Kansas and UNC because they knew they weren't going to punish them. Coach K has more power than both those schools combined and won't even tolerate a review.

“The player probably got paid” is not a standard but at least a threshold to look into impropriety, especially when the information came from a court of law instead of random rumor. There’s plenty of reason to look into Duke, who landed a player that was shopping.

Agreed. I mean, I hate Duke, I think they’ve cheated on many occasions. I would like to see them get caught.

Reactions: Xception
I dunno anything about where Kansas fits into Emmert’s filthy agenda. But I will believe pro wrestling is real before I will believe Duke will ever pay for anything no matter how much evidence may come out.

Pro Wrestling Maybe fak but the injuries they have over the years are real. More than any NCAA penalty.

Reactions: sefleming
If competing schools presidents don’t voice their objections over blatant bias and special treatment the NCAA gives to certain schools then nothing will change. No amount of fan or media pressure will matter to them, if UNC is allowed to cheat and Duke isn’t held responsible for player actions then everyone is is playing against a stacked deck.

It won’t happen because the presidents only care if the school gets their slice of the financial pie. They don’t have the same interests that fans have but then the fans will never use their voice to bring action. That would require a boycott more or less, BBN swings the mightiest stock in tgat regard but there’s zero chance of revolting for a year. So get used to an uneven playing field, it’s never going away. Allowed to cheat by the NCAA both those schools will eventually pass UK in titles.

That is good in theory but smaller schools need the NCAA money to survive in a ton of cases.

That is good in theory but smaller schools need the NCAA money to survive in a ton of cases.
True but I’m talking about the p5 schools, it wouldn’t take a bunch of schools, just a few competing schools. Kentucky could say something but wouldn’t, I’d be willing to bet that the NCAA was receiving complaints about UK in the eighties from opponents. Why would the NCAA be so eager to go after UK unless other programs lodge complaints?

Reactions: Fox2monk
I guess no more punishment for anyone then. The NCAA is done with that the way they are done with Miami even though they got away with cash and hookers (before Louisville). Are you a Duke or Kansas fan?

UK fan since 1965. UK graduate 1976.
Experienced the condescending way of the fraud that is/was the Carolina Way and its architect DES.

We paid the price for our transgressions. They have walked for a quarter of a century and still do. I am ashamed that my university has not cancelled every contract we have with the institution. Others should be as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: KyFaninNC and blubo
jolly-flop-guild.png

UK fan since 1965. UK graduate 1976.
Experienced the condescending way of the fraud that is/was the Carolina Way and its architect DES.

We paid the price for our transgressions. They have walked for a quarter of a century and still do. I am ashamed that my university has not cancelled every contract we have with the institution. Others should be as well.
You sound more like a Duke or North Carolina State fan. Those folks HATE North Carolina and you sound like you are just as bitter. I get it. As I have said on here before, I was born in Ohio and am a Buckeye fan as well as a Coach Cal fan. I saw how the tattoo scandal got blown up (people calling for the death penalty), the harsh penalties handed down and then have watched other universities skate for worse things. The problem is that everyone cheats. They do it academically (do you think most of these kids are getting degrees) and financially (kids and families are getting paid, too much money involved to prevent it). The way I see it (quoting from the Bible), "For the person who keeps all of the laws except one is as guilty as a person who has broken all of God's laws (James 2:10). Too many fan bases argue about who is a worse cheater. All of the institutions are cheaters and thus the NCAA needs to be disbanded and new rules created that will help prevent the exploitation of these kids by agents, Universities, and even bad coaches (Coach Cal is one of the best at taking care of them, IMO).

Didn't investigate Bagley. Won't investigate Williamson. Didn't investigate Thomas or Maggette. Duke will get hammered but not til K leaves even if then.

Maggette was investigated by the prosecution. They alleged that he took money just like his AAU teammates Jaron & Kareem Rush and Andre Williams did. Subsequently, UCLA, Missouri & Oklahoma State did internal investigations, self-reported their findings, and imposed suspensions for their respective players amongst other self-imposed penalties. The NCAA accepted those respective schools findings and considered their self-imposed penalties as time served. The NCAA couldn't penalize Maggette or Duke since no internal investigation was done into the matter like the other schools. And I believe K would have just used his veto power if Duke and/or the NCAA had decided to investigate this matter - "No Foul here. Just a blip. We have never lost a player to cheating. Hence, I am not allowing any investigation into this matter."

Maggette was investigated by the prosecution. They alleged that he took money just like his AAU teammates Jaron & Kareem Rush and Andre Williams did. Subsequently, UCLA, Missouri & Oklahoma State did internal investigations, self-reported their findings, and imposed suspensions for their respective players amongst other self-imposed penalties. The NCAA accepted those respective schools findings and considered their self-imposed penalties as time served. The NCAA couldn't penalize Maggette or Duke since no internal investigation was done into the matter like the other schools. And I believe K would have just used his veto power if Duke and/or the NCAA had decided to investigate this matter - "No Foul here. Just a blip. We have never lost a player to cheating. Hence, I am not allowing any investigation into this matter."

I was not aware of that distinction amongst the accused schools. I thought the ncaa ruled—-contrary to past and future precedent—-that duke couldn’t have known about maggette ineligible status and therefore no foul. IOW the ncaa made an exception for duke it never applied before or since. That was my understanding

That’s the way I remember it as well , they the NCAA acknowledge that Maggette had taken the money but said there was no way Saint Rat Face or Dook could have know those poor souls !!!

That’s the way I remember it as well , they the NCAA acknowledge that Maggette had taken the money but said there was no way Saint Rat Face or Dook could have know those poor souls !!!

Similar to the Marcus Camby situation except with reporting it happened with no knowledge until after the fact and we know how that ended. The moral of the story is to deny everything and don't cooperate. We were punished both times we cooperated. Maybe it's time for everyone to not cooperate until the NCAA treats all schools equally. They don't like it, then do their damn jobs.

Still waiting to hear how Pearl and Izzo escaped without a hit. Just way too many coincidences to be exonerated.
Self just smirks at all of it and goes out and survives another scandal. There's teflon in that toup!

You sound more like a Duke or North Carolina State fan. Those folks HATE North Carolina and you sound like you are just as bitter. I get it. As I have said on here before, I was born in Ohio and am a Buckeye fan as well as a Coach Cal fan. I saw how the tattoo scandal got blown up (people calling for the death penalty), the harsh penalties handed down and then have watched other universities skate for worse things. The problem is that everyone cheats. They do it academically (do you think most of these kids are getting degrees) and financially (kids and families are getting paid, too much money involved to prevent it). The way I see it (quoting from the Bible), "For the person who keeps all of the laws except one is as guilty as a person who has broken all of God's laws (James 2:10). Too many fan bases argue about who is a worse cheater. All of the institutions are cheaters and thus the NCAA needs to be disbanded and new rules created that will help prevent the exploitation of these kids by agents, Universities, and even bad coaches (Coach Cal is one of the best at taking care of them, IMO).

Well that says it all. You are Ohio State. I don’t relate to you or your school.

What I relate to is my school and my school’s competiveness with North Carolina at Chapel Hill and Dean Smith’s arroagance and condescending way during Coach Rupp’s an Hall’s time how we were cheaters and now to find out we had NOTHING on them.

Yes I am bitter towards the Cheats . They are Frauds and deep down inside they they know it.

Go back to some Big 11 Board and tell some Michigan fan how great, arrogant, and above it all you and your Buckeyes are.​

Well that says it all. You are Ohio State. I don’t relate to you or your school.

What I relate to is my school and my school’s competiveness with North Carolina at Chapel Hill and Dean Smith’s arroagance and condescending way during Coach Rupp’s an Hall’s time how we were cheaters and now to find out we had NOTHING on them.

Yes I am bitter towards the Cheats . They are Frauds and deep down inside they they know it.

Go back to some Big 11 Board and tell some Michigan fan how great, arrogant, and above it all you and your Buckeyes are.​
You do a great impression of a petulant child. That doesn't sound like the other fans I have met on here but I guess we are all in different stages of our lives. Good luck getting to the adult stage of yours.

Oh, and I do cheer for Kentucky and love Coach Cal. I have been saying for some time that UK will be 2019 National Champions.

Maggette initially denied taking money from Piggie, but later admitted he lied. The NCAA did nothing for 5 years until a writer, I believe it was Dan Wetzel, began asking why nothing had been done. They then made a statement that Duke would not be punished because the school didn't know Maggette took the money and Maggette didn't know it was against the rules. They could have and should have vacated Duke's season for using an ineligible player but they chose not to. How many other schools have not been punished after a player admitted taking money after first lying about it?

Reactions: downw/ball-lineD
You do a great impression of a petulant child. That doesn't sound like the other fans I have met on here but I guess we are all in different stages of our lives. Good luck getting to the adult stage of yours.

Oh, and I do cheer for Kentucky and love Coach Cal. I have been saying for some time that UK will be 2019 National Champions.

And like all Ohio State fans you know it all and always have last word.

ADVERTISEMENT