ADVERTISEMENT

Orlando Sentinel asks if NCAA will investigate Kansas and Duke...

IL Wildcat

Feb 20, 2003
Southern IL
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/spo...das-fbi-federal-trial-20181020-story,amp.html

The Orlando Sentinel's Mike Bianchi asks the question if the NCAA will investigate Kansas and Duke regarding Zion Williamson with the same fervor they investigated UCF several years ago when they got 5 years of probation because an assistant coach talked to an agent about some recruits and the possibility of money being on the table, even though none of the players in question ever actually attended Central Florida. His conclusion here is what you might expect and we would all agree. When it comes to schools like Kansas and Duke there is a different standard.

I am so sick of the NCAA's bullshit. If journalist today had a modicum of ethics and talent, they could change the entire landscape. But they don't.

I wish college basketball was bigger so that twitter could create a massive firestorm that the NCAA would have to fear.

No chance that the NCAA investigates 2 of their favorite schools. If it had been, say, Kentucky and anybody else , they would already be snooping around.

The FBI trial hasn’t even ended where the evidence was put forth and you’re already pronouncing that the NCAA has dropped the ball? As a Kansas fan, I wish I felt that good. Now, I doubt that Duke sees any punishment unless something more comes out. I don’t know what level of standard theyreholding schools to, but something above, “the player probably got paid.”

The expected NCAA response to this and any other article around Zion and Kansas:

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Guys, the NCAA is not looking to do anything. They are scared of their shadow since schools will sue if they don’t have a 100% guilty party.

And when Thamel tried to blow up Bledsoe, the NCAA didn’t do anything...

"Even more troubling is that Coach K probably doesn’t want to know either.

Krzyzewski’s response a few days go about the scandalous corruption uncovered by the FBI during its fraud investigation was this: “I think it’s minute. It’s a blip. It’s not what’s happening.”

Translation: See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil.

Either Coach K is being naïve or disingenuous, but either way his reaction is troubling.

Is it a “blip” when national championship-winning coach Rick Pitino has already been fired as a result of this investigation?

Is it a “blip” when Kansas’ Bill Self, another national championship-winning coach, is accused of having knowledge of illicit payments to then-recruit Silvio De Sousa, who is now a KU sophomore? A lawyer for one of the Adidas reps, James Gatto, told the jury that Self approved a $20,000 payment to the guardian of De Sousa.

The lawyer also produced text messages from Self to another former Adidas rep that, at the very least, show that Self OK’d the Adidas rep steering De Sousa to Kansas — an obvious and blatant violation of NCAA rules."

giphy-downsized-large.gif

"Clear and Present Danger 2".
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/spo...das-fbi-federal-trial-20181020-story,amp.html

The Orlando Sentinel's Mike Bianchi asks the question if the NCAA will investigate Kansas and Duke regarding Zion Williamson with the same fervor they investigated UCF several years ago when they got 5 years of probation because an assistant coach talked to an agent about some recruits and the possibility of money being on the table, even though none of the players in question ever actually attended Central Florida. His conclusion here is what you might expect and we would all agree. When it comes to schools like Kansas and Duke there is a different standard.

Reactions: IL Wildcat

Krzyzewski’s response a few days go about the scandalous corruption uncovered by the FBI during its fraud investigation was this: “I think it’s minute. It’s a blip. It’s not what’s happening.”

Either Coach K is being naïve or disingenuous, but either way his reaction is troubling.

Is it a “blip” when national championship-winning coach Rick Pitino has already been fired as a result of this investigation?

Is it a “blip” when Kansas’ Bill Self, another national championship-winning coach, is accused of having knowledge of illicit payments to then-recruit Silvio De Sousa, who is now a KU sophomore? A lawyer for one of the Adidas reps, James Gatto, told the jury that Self approved a $20,000 payment to the guardian of De Sousa.

The lawyer also produced text messages from Self to another former Adidas rep that, at the very least, show that Self OK’d the Adidas rep steering De Sousa to Kansas — an obvious and blatant violation of NCAA rules."

Is there a doubt which K is being?

I guess I don’t get Kentucky fans criticizing the NCAA for not going after “schools like” Duke, UNC and Kansas. By schools like I presume we mean sacred cows and blue bloods. Is Kentucky not a blue blood? Personally I’d distinguish between Kansas and Kentucky on one had and Duke and UNC on the other. The NCAA has shown no reluctance to go after UK and KU.

Spot on article. The sport I love is rotten to the core. Administrators that look the other way play a huge part as well as TV, rising tuitions and mega licensing fees help pay for the scam. In fact, if the NCAA was interested in anything BUT the status quo, Emmert would be gone already.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I think it has to do more with so much evidence of blatant wrong doing and the hypocrisy that UK can't fart in the wind without "the right people finding out about it" that makes me critical of the way the NCAA treats Duke, Kansas, and UNC.

Probably just me. Oh well.

K downplaying another coach cheating - one he recruits against often - tells me he wants this all to go away. Definitely doesn’t want anybody looking into how Nike steers top guys to his program.

I guess I don’t get Kentucky fans criticizing the NCAA for not going after “schools like” Duke, UNC and Kansas. By schools like I presume we mean sacred cows and blue bloods. Is Kentucky not a blue blood? Personally I’d distinguish between Kansas and Kentucky on one had and Duke and UNC on the other. The NCAA has shown no reluctance to go after UK and KU.
UK got hammered by the NCAA in the 80s, for doing what UNC, Kansas, and Puke have been doing, except they all skate. That’s why UK fans get upset.
Also Cal and UK are always accused of cheating today when there is no evidence, but UNC was actually cheating, no punishment.

The FBI trial hasn’t even ended where the evidence was put forth and you’re already pronouncing that the NCAA has dropped the ball? As a Kansas fan, I wish I felt that good. Now, I doubt that Duke sees any punishment unless something more comes out. I don’t know what level of standard theyreholding schools to, but something above, “the player probably got paid.”
“The player probably got paid” is not a standard but at least a threshold to look into impropriety, especially when the information came from a court of law instead of random rumor. There’s plenty of reason to look into Duke, who landed a player that was shopping.

If they are not going to look into Bagley or Williamson's housing situations, Thomas jewelry or Maggette ties to an agent what makes you think they will look into this

Another translation. Kry Rat: they ain’t gonna do shit to me. I know it. You know it. I own their ass.

Reactions: Cindog28
I think what comes of it all is a bunch of new rules. As if the NCAA rule book doesn’t already take a team of attorneys to interpret. If they go after anyone they might have to ding Duke and UNC. So let’s just make some new rules, and try to save face.

I really though the corrupt NCAA had to do something to UNCHEAT, but they did everything possible to help the cheating sob's get out of it. We all know that Ole Honest Roy is not quite at protected level of Rat Face , so there will be no investigation of DOOK ! The Jailhawks are anybody's guess but I think it will be a similar situation to UNCHeat, the NCAA will say what can we do to help the JailHawks and the Rug Doctor get out of this and drag their feet till they figure something out !

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/25/sports/ncaa-condoleezza-rice.html

N.C.A.A. Panel Proposes Reforms

• April 25, 2018
INDIANAPOLIS — N.C.A.A. leaders endorsed a series of broad recommendations they received Wednesday from a commission chaired by the former secretary of state Condoleezza Rice in the latest attempt to clean up men’s college basketball and fix a system mired with corruption.

But while the proposed changes would alter the texture of the sport, they stopped well short of challenging the longtime requirement that the college athletes remain amateurs, uncompensated beyond a scholarship and a stipend for their talents and efforts.

“The levels of corruption and deception are now at a point that they threaten the very survival of the college game as we know it,” Ms. Rice’s commission stated in a report she presented to two boards of the N.C.A.A.

Mark Emmert, the president of the N.C.A.A., asked Ms. Rice to lead the commission last fall after federal prosecutors filed bribery and fraud charges against 10 people connected with men’s college basketball. The defendants include assistant coaches, a shoe company executive and two associates who were implicated in schemes to funnel money to prospects and their families in exchange for commitments to attend certain colleges.

Many of the proposed changes could become a part of the N.C.A.A. legislative code in August. Mr. Emmert, who is relying on Ms. Rice’s stature to boost the credibility of the N.C.A.A., has said he is aiming for results “by tip-off 2018.”

In an interview at N.C.A.A. headquarters here, Ms. Rice described the proposals as essential to rescuing the most popular college sport other than football and the one that provides the vast majority of the N.C.A.A.’s revenue.

“We believe this is an opportunity to put the college back in college basketball,” she said.

In a statement, Adidas said it “welcomes the commission’s recommendations and will continue to work with the N.C.A.A. and other stakeholders in a collaborative and constructive manner.” ( [laughing] )

It also recommended increasing the severity of penalties for teams and coaches who violate rules, to five-year postseason bans for teams and lifetime suspensions for coaches. In addition, it said people outside the organization should be involved with the penalties process and serve on the N.C.A.A.’s board.

Hasn't Kansas been sighted for "Lack of Institutional Control" at least TWICE in the last 20 years? That kind of thing is used for multiple rules violations, so I don't understand why people think they are untouchable.

Hell... the NCAA should move it's home office from Indianapolis to Lawrence, Kansas. Save money on travel. [laughing]

="Cali-Hawk, post: 7244187, member: 16449"]The FBI trial hasn’t even ended where the evidence was put forth and you’re already pronouncing that the NCAA has dropped the ball? As a Kansas fan, I wish I felt that good. Now, I doubt that Duke sees any punishment unless something more comes out. I don’t know what level of standard theyreholding schools to, but something above, “the player probably got paid.”[/QUOTE]

37741080-452f-470d-b5c2-bcb11bac6fe1_text_hi.gif

="Cali-Hawk, post: 7244187, member: 16449"]The FBI trial hasn’t even ended where the evidence was put forth and you’re already pronouncing that the NCAA has dropped the ball? As a Kansas fan, I wish I felt that good. Now, I doubt that Duke sees any punishment unless something more comes out. I don’t know what level of standard theyreholding schools to, but something above, “the player probably got paid.”

37741080-452f-470d-b5c2-bcb11bac6fe1_text_hi.gif
[/QUOTE]
"You're a lousy f'n softball player, Jack." [laughing] (I tried to post the gif of that quote before and it got admin axed. Lol.)

Kansas fans:

giphy.gif

Pretty much all they have left to say regarding the trial so far, imo.

Reactions: BBUK and Fox2monk
ADVERTISEMENT