ADVERTISEMENT

Orlando/Cal Exchange During Mizzou Game

Say what you want about Cal, and I’ve been a vocal critic the last 4 years, but the man obviously cares about winning. Is he guilty of micromanaging sometimes? Probably. But for Orlando to react like that, Cal obviously jumped his shit lol. He still has fire and I’m glad.

Say what you want about Cal, and I’ve been a vocal critic the last 4 years, but the man obviously cares about winning. Is he guilty of micromanaging sometimes? Probably. But for Orlando to react like that, Cal obviously jumped his shit lol. He still has fire and I’m glad.
Yeah I never understood the argument that Cal doesn't care about winning. Coaches at this level have huge egos and hate to lose.

Yeah I never understood the argument that Cal doesn't care about winning. Coaches at this level have huge egos and hate to lose.
It’s not so much that he doesn’t care about winning but that he doesn’t do whatever it takes to win a game. Like trying anything different on defense when we are getting torched.

It’s not so much that he doesn’t care about winning but that he doesn’t do whatever it takes to win a game. Like trying anything different on defense when we are getting torched.
Even then, it's not that it's not doing whatever it takes, it's just a different approach to winning. Agree or disagree with the approach, but Cal believes it's better to do one thing and work to make that one thing great then try to have multiple approaches that never get any better than good. He thinks if he works all season on a man to man defense and make it elite come March, it's better than teaching multiple defenses and having them each be good come March. And when you're mainly dealing with freshman I'm not sure I disagree with the approach.

Even then, it's not that it's not doing whatever it takes, it's just a different approach to winning. Agree or disagree with the approach, but Cal believes it's better to do one thing and work to make that one thing great then try to have multiple approaches that never get any better than good. He thinks if he works all season on a man to man defense and make it elite come March, it's better than teaching multiple defenses and having them each be good come March. And when you're mainly dealing with freshman I'm not sure I disagree with the approach.
Now do "low post offense with three big men on the floor."

Reactions: IIIBradIII
Calipari is a narcissistic person and winning is huge for him because it appeals to his behavior.

Calipari knows this team can win it all and he's trying hard as well. I noticed Calipari's screaming fits have died down a lot.

I think it's a great sign if you will that coach o has been in so many tough games, tough times that he doesn't yeild to coaches insane intensity sometimes on the side lines. Hey every family has their moments when we use our lound voice to tell dad " hey dad your wrong on this one" lol I bet a dime to a dollar probably wasn't even acknowledged between the two coaches after the game because they both know stuff happens in heat of the game and life goes on.

Well that is a philosophy that I whole heartedly disagree with. Why any coach would limit themselves on how to play an opponent is assanine at best, arrogant at worse. There is not a single defense that is going to shut down every single opponent and as we have seen with Cals teams they may struggle mightily guarding a team with a single approach sans a wrinkle or two thrown in. There are teams who thrive playing against Man, others against zone, others against trapping, others against full court pressure, etc. switching up defenses, if even for a few possessions can also stop another teams momentum. Ever stop to think one reason this team struggles defensively is the other coach knows exactly what we are going to do and prepares his team accordingly. Cal is the easiest coach in the world to prepare for which does his teams zero favors.

I’m glad we have a staff who can give it to Cal, but at the same time Cal will listen to them.

Could you imagine if Justus did that a few years back? Cal probably would’ve forgot there was a game going on bc he’d be too busy yelling at him lol

I’m glad we have a staff who can give it to Cal, but at the same time Cal will listen to them.

Could you imagine if Justus did that a few years back? Cal probably would’ve forgot there was a game going on bc he’d be too busy yelling at him lol
Justus would’ve been too busy doing victory laps on Twitter over a recruit he thought we were going to land that we didn’t end up landing.

Reactions: WeWant9

Trust me, they are not giving Cal shit. Yes he yelled at Cal, but if you really think Cal would allow the coaching staff to do this frequently, well then your as dumb as your post. O got excited, he wasn't trying or intending to show Cal up.

Trust me, they are not giving Cal shit. Yes he yelled at Cal, but if you really think Cal would allow the coaching staff to do this frequently, well then your as dumb as your post. O got excited, he wasn't trying or intending to show Cal up.
lol. Never said he was giving Cal “shit” like you say. You might be the dumb one here taking that post to think anyone was saying Antigua was trying to show Cal up. Maybe work on reading before making a response.

Reactions: BlueWhite21
You said you was glad we have a staff who can "give it to him". I guess the interpretation of "give it to him" was not refined enough. Because Cal would not stand for coaches to yell and scream at him. It was an isolated incident, not common I can assure you.

• Haha
Reactions: WeWant9
You said you was glad we have a staff who can "give it to him". I guess the interpretation of "give it to him" was not refined enough. Because Cal would not stand for coaches to yell and scream at him. It was an isolated incident, not common I can assure you.
That weird, I remember Cal and Chin getting into a similar heated blowout last year.

Reactions: KFuqua
Clearly he cares about winning- and his teams have historically won at a high level. He's even changed style and approaches based on his personnel. But some folks accuse him of not doing what it takes to win. We are thinking this: "Cal should use a zone if he really cares about winning THIS game!" Cal says this: "If you can't defend your man, you will never succeed in basketball and my team won't win many games in the long run." And truth be told, UK fans just get mad because the coach won't do things MY way. If he really cared about winning, he would agree with ME.

Now, having said this, it doesn't stop me from ranting during games when teams keep driving for layups and our guys can't seem to stop it. I get mad. I scream we need a zone. But I also know, Cal's thinking about more than just one game and he's wanting his guys to learn to stay in front of their man. He also knows that playing a 2-3 or a trapping zone isn't something that can just be thrown in without a lot of work. And even in a zone, you still have to be able to stay in front of your man. So, I get both sides of this thing. I understand why Cal hates a zone. I also understand why fans want to play zone in certain situations. Who is right? The coach is in charge and we have no real say, so it doesn't matter who is right.

Reactions: lsb34m3
It's important to have guys on staff that there is mutual love and respect between them and Cal. That they understand each other so they can check him, call him out, and push back.

Cal needs that.

Reactions: Calsmyguy
We are 100% NOT running a low post offense this year and it feels great.
It does feel great to see the spacing, but Cal has got lost back in the high ball screen and low post stuff on occasion lately since the bigs came back. Before that we were as free as birds and it was beautiful. You can see him go back and forth now and realize at times he needs to go back to 5 out and to his credit he does when were bogging down on the lost post stuff. I think he has a tendancy to do that when we're missing from the outside.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT