ADVERTISEMENT

On a 1 thru 10 scale. What’s your interest level in UK basketball now, compared to 5/10/15/20 years ago?

What does that have to do with what I said? Lol I never said it was losing revenue in any way. I said it’s just a game played by kids. Which is true. What does revenue have to do with that. If a game where 18 year olds throw a leather ball through a metal hoop wrecks your whole day or week, you simply need help and need a life.
With saying that, I watch every game and hold onto every possession. Definitely will never ruin my day, maybe an hour or so after the game l’ll be upset and then it’s completely out of my mind.
just like our 3 point shooting, you missed

10 when Cal was hired and 10 today. My son who is college still text during games we can’t watch together. I don’t understand all the posters saying the joy went away after the Wisconsin loss. Seems like such a lame excuse or “fair weather fan”. I enjoy the growth of most of Cal’s teams and the process to get there. I am a die hard and those that only enjoy seasons like 2015 and 2012 aren’t true fans in my opinion. It’s obnoxious quite honestly.

Obnoxious is telling other people what kind of fans they are.

The reason so many lost their passion after the Wisconsin loss is because those of us who are not blind know that we were viciously cheated that game. Not the first time, and not the last time. But ultimately, the most critical time.

We had 40-0 in our sites and they stole it from us - and then handed it to Duke, of all teams.

For many, the reality that we were invested in a complete scam was completely exposed that night, and frankly, it’s very reasonable to quit investing in a scam.

10 years ago = 9
Today = 0

I cancelled my cable TV, cut the cord. Tired of watching AAU ball for 1/2 season every year. We’re not going anywhere as a program unless we have SOME returning players and experience. Last year’s migration of players out of the program was the last straw for me.

7 for UK and 5 for college basketball in general. The decline of the overall watchability of the sport in general has led to the decline of both being like a 9 or 10.

I’ll watch a UK game over an NBA game, but if I had to choose between an NBA game and any other college game I will definitely pick NBA. Used to be I’d watch college over the NBA with ease but that is most definitely no longer the case unless it’s the NCAA Tournament, and they don’t generally go against each other on TV anyways unless it’s a local broadcast.

I'm a 1 and done. After nearly 60 years of being 10+++++.

It is painful to watch this AAU/G league basketball that Cal has forced on the fans.

Same here. I really enjoyed watching Nick come into his own last year. I would much rather have a team full of Nick’s than this never ending stream of players leaving early that have no business leaving.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
10 and will always be a 10. If you let any loss make you less of a fan, maybe you aren’t a true fan to begin with. Maybe you’re just on the train because it was winning frequent.

Do I let a loss affect me? A little, and then an hour later I’m over it. We forget that it’s just a game. Played by kids.

I don’t think it’s the losses, I was obsessed with it when we had Tubby. I have grown tired of the 1 and done, I miss getting a Joe Crawford and him struggling his freshman season but by god, when he got to be an upperclassman, he was a very good player. There was just more depth to college basketball at Kentucky then there is right now.

I used to be mad for days after a loss. I’m 30 now, I just don’t care all that much. College basketball now is a 2 week event in March and we’ve seen, we’ll probably get screwed by the officials anyway.

I remember a time when losing a game ruined my weekend. Not anymore.

Was echoing this exactly. I used to avoid espn for days after a loss. Now I turn it on and they’ll be talking Uk. Bilas, Jay Williams, or whoever else saying “they’ll be fine, just wait till March”

Okay, I’ll wait. Why get invested in December?

Reactions: TheDude73
I used to make games rule my life. Not a 10/10, but more like a 15/10.

Now, and not just this year, but really the past 3-4 years, it's been dwindling. Like another poster said, I don't even know when the next game is, forget to set the DVR, and then don't care to dig into the new players like I used to.

I've gone from that fever pitch all my life to probably a 2, if that these days. Funny thing is, I'm a 2 between games, but get a twinge of the 10+ feel when the game starts, only to feel it drop back to a 2 by the end of the game when I realize I'm just tired of watching new kids learn year after year after year.

Reactions: CalipariCapo
I don’t think it’s the losses, I was obsessed with it when we had Tubby. I have grown tired of the 1 and done, I miss getting a Joe Crawford and him struggling his freshman season but by god, when he got to be an upperclassman, he was a very good player. There was just more depth to college basketball at Kentucky then there is right now.

I used to be mad for days after a loss. I’m 30 now, I just don’t care all that much. College basketball now is a 2 week event in March and we’ve seen, we’ll probably get screwed by the officials anyway.

Was echoing this exactly. I used to avoid espn for days after a loss. Now I turn it on and they’ll be talking Uk. Bilas, Jay Williams, or whoever else saying “they’ll be fine, just wait till March”

Okay, I’ll wait. Why get invested in December?

I can understand enjoying watching a player for multiple years. I enjoy guys like Richards, Quickly, PJ etc...

Some of my favorite wildcats are from the Tubby years. But there’s just something about the John Walls, AD’s, Kat’s that I enjoy too. I just enjoy Kentucky Basketball in any way, shape or form. I’m 33 now and understand that life is too short to get caught up on a game. I still root for the Cats like I did 15 years ago, I just don’t let it ruin my entire day anymore.

At this rate, cal will never win another title. His system of 1 and done, without the top 5 guys just doesn't work. Its probably done. Hard to get excited.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
It used to be a 10 but, now with COVID and a limited number of fans along with all of the political nonsense my interest in all sports is about a 2. When we get back to sports with fans and get politics out of sports I'll hopefully gain my passion for sports back.

I was a 10 from early 90’s through 2015 (maybe even 2017). About a 5 the past few years though. I fall asleep during games and forget what day we play on now, which I never used to do. Thanks Cal.

I think Cals undying loyalty to the Harrison twins in the Wisconsin game was a massive unforgiveable coaching failure, you can’t let 5-6 offensive possessions die because they froze at crunch time

Tyler Ulis should have been on the floor and UK would have won that game because KAT would have got the ball in scoring position

Just remember when Saban pulled Hurts in Natty, that’s a coach with balls

Cal didn’t have the balls to do it

The Pitino years were incredible. Amazing. This crap today we're watching is a sham.

I understand the ups and downs we had with Tubby, but at least I gave a shit and it was fun.

Been watching UK basketball for 50 years and my level of interest has been falling for years now. Calipari's affect has been a net negative. He has stated that the NBA draft is his priority and not program success and winning NC's. His theory is if he can get each 1 year class drafted as high as possible the net effect will be championships. It happened 0NCE in 11 years with many years being ridiculous disappointments considering the level of talent. Truth is these talented players never truly learn how to play the game to win until they've spent two or three years in the league because they sure as hell don't learn it in ONE year at UK. Cal can later feel good about himself and how he's helped the "kids" to reach their dreams. Somehow, the UK schmuck fanbase is supposed to feel good about it too and if you don't then there's something wrong with you. Well, if true then there's something wrong with me. It's all BS because I care more about the program than Cal's legacy with these players to get them paid after ONE year. Show me the NC's and final fours. Considering the talent that he has brought to UK his accomplishments to better the program fall exceedingly short. Cal claimed UK was the gold standard of college basketball when he arrived. Is it the gold standard today? Silver? Bronze? I used to follow and watch every game and analyze the box score after every game. Now, if I even record the game, many times I don't even want to watch it. It just sucks. IMO, Cal has ruined this program. So my level of interest in him and his endless line of bullshit and excuses are nauseating. He's not a good floor coach and cannot make timely decisions. He needs to go for the sake of the program...sooner than later. Ellen has stated that they have all the money they will ever need so is OAD more about Cal or the "kids" because it's certainly NOT about the UK program. I think Dakich was onto something...this is just as much about Cal's ego as his claims of being about the "kids". I care about the program and restoring UK to a gold standard that Calipari has destroyed.

Last edited:
Reactions: know1
"“I just wanted to play against the best and be able to compete every day,” Herro said. “I knew my goal was to make the NBA. That’s what I dreamt of. My dream wasn’t to play in college. I wanted to play in the NBA, so when Kentucky was an option and I started to play really well, that door opened up. I just felt like I couldn’t pass it up. I wanted to bet on myself and go into Kentucky with other kids that are my age and we all have an equal opportunity to earn minutes. At the end of the year, usually the best three players from Kentucky go to the NBA. That was my goal. That’s what I wanted to do.” "

• Angry
10 and will always be a 10. If you let any loss make you less of a fan, maybe you aren’t a true fan to begin with. Maybe you’re just on the train because it was winning frequent.

Do I let a loss affect me? A little, and then an hour later I’m over it. We forget that it’s just a game. Played by kids.
Bad take, the 2015 loss was the worst and most painful in our history. I remember when my mom called me and told me “the red team won” it felt like i’d been shot in the balls.

Reactions: BigBlueFan19
There seems to be a consensus....one-and-done works when there's a payoff at the end. The number of classic tournament wins those first six years was amazing. Then the platoon thing hurt recruiting, and it's been March Mehness since. Lost to the first name team we faced in 16 (Indiana, making it worse). Great wins over Wichita St and UCLA before the screw job in 17. Then the fall off the cliff. Wins over Buffalo, Wofford, and Houston (okay, that was a good one). Losses to Kansas State and Auburn. I can forgive the North Carolina loss. We got bent over there. But Crean, Weber and Pearl? Where's the payoff, Slick?

Bad take, the 2015 loss was the worst and most painful in our history. I remember when my mom called me and told me “the red team won” it felt like i’d been shot in the balls.
Duke 1992 was much more painful.

It's popular to throw out that Wisconsin loss as a program killer. It was bad, but not the reason our program is where it is now.

Unfortunately my friend the social justice, forced pandering, and “activism” will only continue to get worse and worse and worse. Big time.
I know, and that's another reason my interest level is waning...

I'll check completely out if it ramps up more.

When the underlying message while I'm trying to be entertained, is that I was born a bad person, and I'm irredeemable because of it. that kinda takes the fun out of sports.

10 about 2 years ago and was since I was able to know what college basketball was (mother raised me on it).

Now...5 or less, and that is due to both new team every year and pandering to the squeaky wheel.

Reactions: KyFaninNC and blubo

I personally think people make a bigger deal out of that game than need be. I couldn’t honestly care less if we go undefeated, would much rather win it all. The most painful loss in my recent memory is 2014 against UCONN In the national championship.

Reactions: know1
Duke 1992 was much more painful.

It's popular to throw out that Wisconsin loss as a program killer. It was bad, but not the reason our program is where it is now.
92 was not a painful loss. We were not suppose to win that game. We took a power house Duke team and took them to two overtones with a team of mostly Kentucky kids who stayed around after the NCAA dropped a hammer on us, where our tallest player was a small forward. The greatest college basketball game ever played. And we still lost to a buzzer beater.

92 was not a painful loss. We were not suppose to win that game. We took a power house Duke team and took them to two overtones with a team of mostly Kentucky kids who stayed around after the NCAA dropped a hammer on us, where our tallest player was a small forward. The greatest college basketball game ever played. And we still lost to a buzzer beater.
I agree people who think 1992 was the most painful loss just don't understand. Our team was a huge under dog. Duke was #1 and loaded. They should have dominated us from the opening tip. But our gutty team took them into overtime and lost Mashburn to fouls.

The only disappointment was getting beat on a buzzer beater and not playing defense in the last 2 seconds. When you are number 1 in the country and get beat in the NCAA tournament. That hurts.

The last 2 Tubby years and BCGs last year interest was a 1, wouldn’t even watch some games. Those of you saying 10 up until 2015 are being ridiculous, but whatever that’s what this board is anymore.

My current interest level is around 7/8 (if winning). Currently a 5. Unfortunately my interest in the rest of college bball is a 1. It’s hard to support a dying and terrible sport. Did you guys see Kansas?? Awful, and half their team is upperclassman. Duke sucks, UNC sucks, Indiana sucks, Louisville sucks, etc. It’s just a dead sport. Don’t know why it can’t be like college football which is better than ever. Just sad.

"“I just wanted to play against the best and be able to compete every day,” Herro said. “I knew my goal was to make the NBA. That’s what I dreamt of. My dream wasn’t to play in college. I wanted to play in the NBA, so when Kentucky was an option and I started to play really well, that door opened up. I just felt like I couldn’t pass it up. I wanted to bet on myself and go into Kentucky with other kids that are my age and we all have an equal opportunity to earn minutes. At the end of the year, usually the best three players from Kentucky go to the NBA. That was my goal. That’s what I wanted to do.” "
When this is their goal, it becomes clear that winning games and national championships for a college and its fans mean nothing to these kids (just as many of us already suspected - Herro just confirmed). They are here for one reason and one reason only - to get to the NBA and get that payday. Can't knock kids for that, but we can knock Cal for turning UK into not just a path for a kid or two, but making UK only about the NBA.

Started in '74.....interest level went up through the roof to over 20. Got a job, married, kids, grandkid, retired.....run and gun/ one and done.
Athletes are wonderful today. My iterest level peaks at about 2.

Ive been on record on this board since year 1 that this OAD bs is a complete joke and we only tolerate it because the ends justify the means. When they dont, fans wont. Well, we are finally at that point. Cal needs to change his approach and if he refuses to make Kentucky his priority, well....bye.

Most of the people who seem to love it Ive garnered are either younger than me (Im mid late 30s), are huge NBA fans also, and only really go back to Tubby years.

Im sure there are some fans on here who are older and support this, but Id bet they are a minority amongst the fan base.

Wheres our senior day? No series with Indiana? Tennessee has been whipping our ass up and down the court. Duke EMBARASSED us by 34. Evansville. Starting a season 1-2 in I dont know how long. Losing to friggin joke ass Auburn in the Elite 8, who was missing their star big man and we had run off rhe court by 27 TWO WEEEKS prior. Hagans bs drama that got swept under the rug. Starting Quade over Shai when it was obviously wrong (hey...kinda like this seasons PGs.)

The list goes on. The only argument I consistently see from the fans that are happy watching this mess is they are afraid of the unknown hire. Georgia fired Richt and got Kirby Smart. Florida got friggin Urban Meyer and then got Dan Mullen but yes, they did have to put up with Zook and McElwain and Champ.

At least with Tubbys teams, I knew every year I could be excited because we were working towards trying to win a title. I do not feel that way with these teams. I definitely do not this year. And the people saying last years team was gonna run to the title....you are high. Go rewatch that season. Just...stop. Jesus. Be realistic.

Reactions: UK90 and know1
I can understand enjoying watching a player for multiple years. I enjoy guys like Richards, Quickly, PJ etc...

Some of my favorite wildcats are from the Tubby years. But there’s just something about the John Walls, AD’s, Kat’s that I enjoy too. I just enjoy Kentucky Basketball in any way, shape or form. I’m 33 now and understand that life is too short to get caught up on a game. I still root for the Cats like I did 15 years ago, I just don’t let it ruin my entire day anymore.

Richard yes, but Quick and PJ weren’t “multiple years” but 2 and PJ REALLY didn’t wanna come back.

The multi year Cal guys are very few and far between.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT