ADVERTISEMENT

On a 1 thru 10 scale. What’s your interest level in UK basketball now, compared to 5/10/15/20 years ago?

TopCatCal

Senior
Dec 10, 2012
From 1969 thru 2015 my interest level was a 10. During the late 70’s early 80’s UK had a game that was played at something like 2:00 am in The Great Alaskan Shootout. I stayed up all night to watch the game. I was a recruiting junkie. UK basketball was at the top of my list….. Now my interest level is probably a 4 or 5. It’s the 1 and done & 2 and run environment that’s been created here. Calipari pushing these players out of here before they have a chance to even know what town they’re in. I understand players like Wall, Big Cuz, A.D., Randall, Towns, Fox, Bam, ect. Leaving after 1 season. They were can’t miss Top-10, Top-15 picks that were ready to be NBA stars from day 1. The problem are the players like Daniel Orton, Marquis Teague, Doran Lamb, Archie Goodwin, James Young ect. Leaving here with 2 or 3 years of eligibility remaining that were darn lucky to be drafted, some late in the 1st round. If that wasn’t bad enough we’ve now got players leaving early that has no chance of even being drafted at all. Around here, it’s like if you’re a 5-Star recruit & if you aren’t out of here before your junior season that you’re some kind of an embarrassing, failure. And I lay the blame 100% at the feet of John Calipari.

I've always followed UK since I watched CBB and Pitino/Cal's Eras have had me at 10+. This year's team I was excited for based on hearing things......right now I plan on watching NFL football and DVR'ing the game Sunday and watching after. Always watch the game win or lose, but the way they've played to start this year, I'd say it's at a 3 in terms of just enjoying the game. Now to be fair, I think the College game is hurt far more by absence of fans/atmosphere too. So I don't put this all on UK....just isn't the same right now.

10 year ago 11.

Today? About a 3.

I never thought that could happen.

It's not the virus or apathy, I watched every cardinals game this year.

Kentucky is just not fun anymore. It's one of the reasons I'm ready for Cal to move on. He served his purpose, it was a good hire, but I'm tired.

Always was a 10+ till 2016. After losing to Wisky my interest fell to a 7/8. It has gradually gone down since to today’s level 1-2. I still care, but I don’t care to watch. I just can’t get excited seeing the same shitty basketball early only to see improvement, then losing to a lesser, more experienced team in March. The joy is gone.

2000 - 1 I was 10, I watched sometimes with my dad
2005 - 10 these are the years I was obsessed and would get mad if we lost.
2010 - 10 still obsessed
2015 - 10 before the heartbreak, dropped to a 6 after Wisconsin
2020 - 4 I fell asleep at halftime of the KU game and have zero clue who or when we play next

It was a 10 and it’s probably around an 8 now. I would be lying if I said I have been as excited recently as I was before but it’s not nearly as extreme as some others on this board.

Reactions: UKUGA
5 years ago, an 8 or 9. Even traveled to see the Cats play TN a couple years ago.
Now, a 1/2.

From 1969 thru 2015 my interest level was a 10. During the late 70’s early 80’s UK had a game that was played at something like 2:00 am in The Great Alaskan Shootout. I stayed up all night to watch the game. I was a recruiting junkie. UK basketball was at the top of my list….. Now my interest level is probably a 4 or 5. It’s the 1 and done & 2 and run environment that’s been created here. Calipari pushing these players out of here before they have a chance to even know what town they’re in. I understand players like Wall, Big Cuz, A.D., Randall, Towns, Fox, Bam, ect. Leaving after 1 season. They were can’t miss Top-10, Top-15 picks that were ready to be NBA stars from day 1. The problem are the players like Daniel Orton, Marquis Teague, Doran Lamb, Archie Goodwin, James Young ect. Leaving here with 2 or 3 years of eligibility remaining that were darn lucky to be drafted, some late in the 1st round. If that wasn’t bad enough we’ve now got players leaving early that has no chance of even being drafted at all. Around here, it’s like if you’re a 5-Star recruit & if you aren’t out of here before your junior season that you’re some kind of an embarrassing, failure. And I lay the blame 100% at the feet of John Calipari.

I’m a 1-2 now. Cal has sucked the joy out of it for me. Been following since 1959 and am disinterested. I am like the poster above said, don’t even know when we play next. I know I am ready for him to move on. I watch old Pitino games when I really need a fix. The 90’s were great.

Wasn't really old enough 20 years ago.
15 years ago, getting into it once I started college
10 years ago, peaked. Obsessed. Cleared schedules to watch games.
5 years ago.. after the Wisconsin loss, def faded a bit.
Now? Faded more, but I mostly attribute that getting older.

Personally, a player staying 1 year or 4 doesn't matter much to me. Maybe a little. Its more so that we have NO one coming back lately, and the 1ADs we do have aren't as good

I never understood people who scoff at the KATs and Walls, simply because they only played one year. "Oh I can't get into it unless they give me 13 months of basketball". Lol.

The Wisconsin loss took the win out of me, not because of the heart break.. but because it became apparent to me.. that after several years of bad calls and suspect seeding.. the NCAA was gonna do what it could to stop us. 2015 showed that, loud and clear.

This sport is the most fixed thing outside of Wrestling.

I used to live and die with UK basketball. I have literally broken bones over it. Suffice to say, 10 year ago, it was a 10. Today? My interest is a 3. The one and done has ruined my joy. I still love UK and will be in the stands this Saturday when we play South Carolina (football), but my love of basketball has taken a big hit. I hate it.

I remember the Great Alaskan Shootout and I remember laying in bed with my radio listening to Coach Hall's postgame show. It must have been 4 or 5 am. I was off the chart in interest. 10+. I lived in Florida and had the Lex Herald mailed to me and also the Cats Pause. The one and done has killed that. Now I am 1 or 2 at the most

I can relate to every word you typed

Last edited:
I remember the Great Alaskan Shootout and I remember laying in bed with my radio listening to Coach Hall's postgame show. It must have bee 4 or 5 am. I was off the chart in interest. 10+. I lived in Florida and had the Lex Herald mailed to me and also the Cats Pause. The one and done has killed that

I remember the Great Alaskan Shootout and the first time we played in it. I was a Senior at UK and it was Bowie's freshman season. Too bad they did away with the tournament.

2000 - 1 I was 10, I watched sometimes with my dad
2005 - 10 these are the years I was obsessed and would get mad if we lost.
2010 - 10 still obsessed
2015 - 10 before the heartbreak, dropped to a 6 after Wisconsin
2020 - 4 I fell asleep at halftime of the KU game and have zero clue who or when we play next
Let me help you my fellow Big Blue Brother we play Sunday afternoon at 4et and by then we are starving for more. I am going to be positive for a little longer, and I also agree with alot of the displeasure of the place of this great states program. Luv the NBA and follow our guys and its fun as fuk,but we wear our Blue for a reason and its a UK!! Come on Cal get your shit together.

I remember the Great Alaskan Shootout and I remember laying in bed with my radio listening to Coach Hall's postgame show. It must have bee 4 or 5 am. I was off the chart in interest. 10+. I lived in Florida and had the Lex Herald mailed to me and also the Cats Pause. The one and done has killed that

Coach Hall was before my time. The earliest I remember was watching The Mardi Gras Miracle. I have bled blue ever since. My son doesn't always understand how much I hate the current state of the program (he is 14) He bleeds blue and will be in the stands with me Saturday, so I have done my job. I just wish he could have grown up in the time I did. Where our program was #1 and no one gave a damn about the NBA. Times have changed and so has my devotion to basketball. It's still there to be relit, but the way things are now just kills it for me.

Probably a 5. Like others the Wisconsin loss was hard. Failure to land the very top kids has not helped. The only player I had heard any news on for this year's team was Boston and I had no clue which player he even was. Covid has not helped , but total roster turnover most years has made it less enjoyable.. losing kids that are not even draft prospects happens here at a higher rate. That and factoring in that we try to out athlete teams instead of having basketball players makes it hard to watch a lot of times..

Reactions: Phil_The_Music
Level of excitement is 10 just like it was 40 years ago. If you don’t get excited to watch your favorite team play a sport then you should question your loyalty to to that team or you could be a bandwagon fan. I stick with my team through thick and thin. I have to laugh at the ones putting up polls about your interest in basketball three games into the season. Yes I get upset when they lose but then I’m ready for the next game

Coach Hall was before my time. The earliest I remember was watching The Mardi Gras Miracle. I have bled blue ever since. My son doesn't always understand how much I hate the current state of the program (he is 14) He bleeds blue and will be in the stands with me Saturday, so I have done my job. I just wish he could have grown up in the time I did. Where our program was #1 and no one gave a damn about the NBA. Times have changed and so has my devotion to basketball. It's still there to be relit, but the way things are now just kills it for me.
I started watching in 1966 when Rupp was still coaching. Followed every game from that point on until now. I have to say that Hall's first few years plus the Pitino years were the most exciting times for me. Right now, I hate what we're seeing.

Level of excitement is 10 just like it was 40 years ago. If you don’t get excited to watch your favorite team play a sport then you should question your loyalty to to that team or you could be a bandwagon fan. I stick with my team through thick and thin. I have to laugh at the ones putting up polls about your interest in basketball three games into the season. Yes I get upset when they lose but then I’m ready for the next game

Fact.

Reactions: Texcat59
I have followed UK for most of my 81 years. I traveled all over the hills of Wolfe County with my Grandpa, listening to the Cats on an old radio, when he was fox hunting. He loved the Cats. I moved back here from Seattle, Washington so my children would go to UK. My three grandchildren graduated from UK, and one is in Medical School there at the present, and another one will start Medical School there in August. I use to live and die with the BIG BLUE. I still love UK, and I watch them on TV, but I quit attending the basketball games 4 or 5 years ago. It got where the players changed so often, I couldn't tell "Who's on First." After reading Cal's book, It's all about the players, I quit being a Cal fan. I don't think his approach is good for college basketball. Do I want him gone, I really don't care. If we get a coach who puts the program First, then I will start attending the games again. I never miss the football games, and usually attend the NCAA Tournament. I know a lot on here think Cal walks on water, and that's their choice. I believe at least two teams have won two NC's since Cal has been here, with players who were not as talented as what he had. I would much prefer to see him recruit players who would stay at least three years, and play team ball. Our Number 1 recruiting classes has not brought us many NCs in the last 10 years. In fact, it hasn't brought us a Final Four in the last 5 years. I would love to see what he could do with players that Bennett gets, or other coaches who don't get all 5 STARS.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

I used to say my favorite college team was the UK FB team, and my favorite pro team was the UK BB team.

I used to clear my schedule and even schedule family events around games. I used to keep stats during games and would break down game film for hours between games. I kept up w the recruits, even kept detailed spreadsheets of recruits, stats and records. I was a 10+

Now, I do not even know the schedule and do not care to look. I want to care, that is one reason why im here, but i just dont. So Im a 1 now.

I have followed UK for most of my 81 years. I traveled all over the hills of Wolfe County with my Grandpa, listening to the Cats on an old radio, when he was fox hunting. He loved the Cats. I moved back here from Seattle, Washington so my children would go to UK. My three grandchildren graduated from UK, and one is in Medical School there at the present, and another one will start Medical School there in August. I use to live and die with the BIG BLUE. I still love UK, and I watch them on TV, but I quit attending the basketball games 4 or 5 years ago. It got where the players changed so often, I couldn't tell "Who's on First." After reading Cal's book, It's all about the players, I quit being a Cal fan. I don't think his approach is good for college basketball. Do I want him gone, I really don't care. If we get a coach who puts the program First, then I will start attending the games again. I never miss the football games, and usually attend the NCAA Tournament. I know a lot on here think Cal walks on water, and that's their choice. I believe at least two teams have won two NC's since Cal has been here, with players who were not as talented as what he had. I would much prefer to see him recruit players who would stay at least three years, and play team ball. Our Number 1 recruiting classes has not brought us many NCs in the last 10 years. In fact, it hasn't brought us a Final Four in the last 5 years. I would love to see what he could do with players that Bennett gets, or other coaches who don't get all 5 STARS.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

81 years!!! Forget UK basketball for a second. I hope you are in good health and that you and your family are doing well. Especially with you know what affecting so many. Be well, Sir(Willevic)!!!

Early Cal Era I was a 10. I never missed a game unless I had to. After 2015 it dropped to a 5 and now it’s about a 2-3. I still haven’t recovered from those 2014 and 2015 back to back heartbreaking losses. Now I can barely relate to the new team every year. Every start of the year I have to look up the kids’ numbers to remember who everyone is.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT