ADVERTISEMENT

On a 1 thru 10 scale. What’s your interest level in UK basketball now, compared to 5/10/15/20 years ago?

10 then and 10 now and 10 forever. That is what being a Wildcat is all about, BBN all day and all night.

Reactions: UKUGA
Winning will change things, all these 2s will be 7 or 8 if we go on a 15 game winning streak.

I will agree the 1 and done thing is pretty old, I keep praying the NBA will at least change things to 2 years. or 20 years old to play in the NBA.

I'm happy you think that, but I'm telling you the interest isn't there. I have some (former) die hard fans that would never miss a game and now they simply don't care (for a variety of reasons - political, NBA focused, spending more time with family)...people don't care. They don't watch the games live, will casually watch a game they had DVRed, etc.

If I didn't come here from habit over the past 11 years, I would be here (I go mostly to the Paddock to see if there is any interest). I don't check the basketballboard except maybe once a week. I wouldn't even know about this thread unless my son didn't show me (He likes reading here..young and 18)

After graduating from college, with a degree in Chemistry and Biology, I worked for the Health Dept. in Frankfort, in the Rabies Lab. Looking through a microscope the rest of my life was not to exciting. I went to sign up for the Marines, but them and the Navy would not take me, since I was married with a little girl. I went to the Air Force, and they said I could put in for a flying billet, since I had a degree in science. I then went to OTS (Officer Training School) and upon graduation, applied for Pilot Training. I was one of the lucky ones to get accepted, since only 10 % of the applicants were accepted, and went to Craig AFB, in Selma, Alabama for Pilot Training. After Pilot Tng. I finished in the top 10% of my class, and got my first choice. After 5 years in the Air Force, I got out and went with Northwest Airlines, and flew for them for 30 years, retiring as a Boeing 747 Captain. The Airlines are going to be hurting for pilots after this Covid 19 is over. It was a Great career. I never felt I worked a day in my life while flying in the Air Force or with Northwest Airlines. I am the only Commercial Pilot, ever from Wolfe County, and only the second USAF pilot. I do not mean for this to sound like I'm bragging. I'm just proud of my career, and serving my country, even though we were not very well thought of during Viet Namn.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Thank you for your service. I was in the Air Force and was a crew chief on C-130's was all over Viet-Nam my self. I was in from 1964-1968.

I’ve been a 10 my entire life, I’ve tried to stay optimistic but when it’s the same story every year, it starts to sour on you. I will say I’m a 5-6 now. I would clear my schedule to make sure I could watch and now I don’t and I don’t even know when we play next lol. Cal and the program need revived, a change of philosophy or something. When you’re told they’re playing for March and the best they’ve done in March is Elite 8 for 5 years.....best be figuring something out and fast.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
I have been zealously following the Cats since 1963 to the point I couldn't function when they lost, I have been to many games and 3 final fours under Cal spent waaaay too much money but was taking my granddaughter who loved the Cats as well. I didn't even know they played tuesday night and watched maybe 7 minutes of Richmond game.....since the current political climate and Covid I have very little use for them.

I grew up in Rupp Arena with my dad. Could tell you every player on every roster down to the walk ons. Begged to go to midnight madness. Stayed up for replays. Followed recruiting. The whole 9 yards.

Anymore UK basketball is almost a detriment to my life. I still watch because of what it used to be, but it’s not the same. I don’t blame Cal. Everything was great when we were winning with Wall, AD, Knight etc. I blame the dramatic shift in officiating.

Even when we have the best team, we still seem to be fighting an uphill battle. Honestly I think the only reason we were able to win it all in 2012 is that Davis was such a good run protector, you couldn’t justify fouling him out of the game.

I can no longer go “all in” on a team. In the back of my mind I know even if we get in position they’re gonna find a way to screw us out of it.

Reactions: awf
After graduating from college, with a degree in Chemistry and Biology, I worked for the Health Dept. in Frankfort, in the Rabies Lab. Looking through a microscope the rest of my life was not to exciting. I went to sign up for the Marines, but them and the Navy would not take me, since I was married with a little girl. I went to the Air Force, and they said I could put in for a flying billet, since I had a degree in science. I then went to OTS (Officer Training School) and upon graduation, applied for Pilot Training. I was one of the lucky ones to get accepted, since only 10 % of the applicants were accepted, and went to Craig AFB, in Selma, Alabama for Pilot Training. After Pilot Tng. I finished in the top 10% of my class, and got my first choice. After 5 years in the Air Force, I got out and went with Northwest Airlines, and flew for them for 30 years, retiring as a Boeing 747 Captain. The Airlines are going to be hurting for pilots after this Covid 19 is over. It was a Great career. I never felt I worked a day in my life while flying in the Air Force or with Northwest Airlines. I am the only Commercial Pilot, ever from Wolfe County, and only the second USAF pilot. I do not mean for this to sound like I'm bragging. I'm just proud of my career, and serving my country, even though we were not very well thought of during Viet Namn.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!
Thank you for your service! I have a great interest in flying. I’ve really been thinking a lot about finding someway to start a career in it whether it be as a pilot for UPS or flying helicopter for EMS services. Flight school is costly though and I know a lot of places won’t hire without prior experience. Which the only way I see to get that experience and clout is through the military.

I’ve read through this entire thread. From what I’ve seen, the UK program is in trouble. I’d say this board accounts for maybe 5% of the fan base and from all the other UK fans I talk to that don’t even know about this board, their sentiments are the same. Everyone is tired of the constant roster turnover, poor officiating, putting NBA before UK, and watching AAU basketball for 3 months of the season. When the interest of the fan base wains, the legacy and accomplishments of the program aren’t far behind. We have a problem folks.

My overall interest in college basketball has reached it's lowest point since I started watching it regularly in 1978. One and done is sucking the talent and the life out of it.
Of course UK is included in that loss of interest, but that is more of a result of the shadow of it's former self college bball has become.
It's a crappy product now.

People that are STILL on this board saying they are at a 2 are just flat-lying. You do not come to a forum every day (this being a random Thursday with no game scheduled) and say my interest is at a 2, I call bull.
That said saying my interest is lower from a 10 to maybe an 8 is understandable, but the extremist trying to pass it off because they want the next best thing is just dumb. New's flash there is not a better coach out there. Just let him get this squad right and another chance to hang the nets.
Been hearing this for 5 years. How many more years does it take for you to see a problem?

I can remember when Pitino came in and he had that full court press and the 3 point shot

I would be so hyped up after a game I'd have to go jog to burn off energy. Heck I moved back to the Kentucky area because I was living in the middle of SEC football country, and (prior to DTV) you could only watch UK basketball on CBS televised games.

I wasn't quite as excited with Cal, but that was due more to age than anything. I ate it up and towed the Calipari company line about recruiting and setting aside tradition to usher in the one and done. I attended 3 Final Fours - New Orleans, Dallas and Indianapolis.

Now I think we've sold the soul of Kentucky basketball and I"m not certain we'll ever get it back. I never envisioned one and done would go so far that we'd start an entire team of players that didn't even wear a UK uniform the year before.

How can anyone believe that's the way to run a college basketball program.
The REAL fans of UK knows it’s not the way to run the program.

People that are STILL on this board saying they are at a 2 are just flat-lying. You do not come to a forum every day (this being a random Thursday with no game scheduled) and say my interest is at a 2, I call bull.
That said saying my interest is lower from a 10 to maybe an 8 is understandable, but the extremist trying to pass it off because they want the next best thing is just dumb. New's flash there is not a better coach out there. Just let him get this squad right and another chance to hang the nets.
every year now he "has to get this squad right" and that now includes watering down the schedule so the high school Seniors he has can learn to play college ball - which takes up about 85% of the season. We're a long way from 2015. Is this year an anomaly? By design in Cal's system, every player would leave if they could. You're not going to win championships with this system of significant roster turnover, teaching fundamentals most of the season and trying to bring in a collection of 1 year eligible transfers to fill in holes. Yet people defend this as if its the obvious best approach to basketball.

As far as fans posting on this board, just because its painful to watch doesn't mean you don't care about it. I've invested 40+ years being a fan of the program, I'm not going to let Cal's focus on his legacy at the expense of UK push me away from that.

Gone from taking vacation days during the tournament to watch the opening round games to barely knowing when they play now. I don’t know who the players are...at least don’t care enough to learn who they are since they leave so quickly. I miss the days of learning about the players’ families and watching them progress through their careers. Remember Senior Day? I went from a 9 to a 2....maybe 3.

Always 10 outside of 1999-2002 when I was a college student more concerned with getting high and getting laid. Lol.

I feel like it is definitely more difficult to attach to the recent teams. They are barely here and then they are gone. I love Kentucky basketball. And always will but it just isn't the same. We always have young players. We lose to schools we didn't use to lose to. We always get mad in march because we are seeded lower due to the bad losses. We get a tougher road to take to our desired final four, and then we lose to a better, more experienced team. Rinse and repeat. That is how i feel.

The 1978 team had Macy, Claytor, Givens, Robey and Phillips. The 1984 team had Beal, Master, Walker, Bowie and Turpin. The 1986 team had Harden, Davender, Blackmon, Bennett and Walker. The 1996 team I could give you the whole roster. Same with 98. The early Cal teams, same. Does anyone remember the starting five two seasons ago? Kevin Knox. Shai Gilgeous Alexander. That's it off the top of my head. The seasons just mean less and less to me. Another factor....the 2017 team was the last one where we had Kentucky players that contributed. It's just a weird vibe this year. I quit watching the Richmond game at halftime. Same with Kansas, although I was really impressed with our defense early on in that one. It still looks like AAU ball for the most part.

10, 10, 10, and 10. I'm a die hard fan at all times. Not only when we are winning championships. What's yalls interest level in UK football in that time frame? 0, 0, 0, 5? Jfc support your team or don't be a fan

Reactions: RunninRichie

dude, most people come out of habit. I used to log on a couple times a day, now I’ll look for an interesting topic on the paddock, but I glance at this board once a week.

You have the blue tint diehards on this board and look at their reaction. You honestly don’t think there’s been a steady decline in fan interest?!? Do you talk with other Kentucky fans? No one cares. Hardly any of my friends talk about games, some don’t even watch and if they tape it, they still forget...and I’m talking guys that would go to the SEC tournaments, etc.

Maybe your circle of friends are different, but talk to people and see their reaction. No...one...cares.

im glad you feel optimistic, but dude, be it politics, the one and done, the constant NBA draft stuff...no one cares anymore.

Wait til people break the habit of coming to this board. This will be a barren wasteland in five years.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I started following closely with Fiddling Five. I was a 10 for many years. I recall listening to the Cats lose to Jacksonville on Armed Forces Radio in Viet Nam. My interest dropped as the Tubby years progressed. It peaked again with the Wall team. I've tried to allow for the cheating on recruiting in recent years holding us back, but it's worn me down. I've had Cal back, but this is pretty much a make or break year.

Thanks very much! Those are KIND words and I appreciate them very much. I am in excellent health. I still run 3 miles a day, 4 days a week, just not as fast as I use to. My wife is 78, and still plays tennis 4 days a week. When I retired 26 years ago as a Captain with Northwest Airlines, I weighed 181. Today I weigh 184. We have really "Hunkered" down with the Covid. I spent most of the time hunting. Thanks again!

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!
Good news, keep on going !

Reactions: willievic
Almost every sport has waning interest. It's not cheap to go to even high school games any more, much less to a p5 college game. I just bought a 55 inch TV for what two tickets to a cat's game in the upper deck would cost.. Life is also busier and travel sports has caused some of it. Weekends are filled with tournaments for your own kids and not some trip to Lexington to watch someone else's. Xboxes and PS5s are going to take a bunch of future generation fans out of the game too. A lot of kids just don't watch it like I did as a kid. Colleges will need to have fewer seats and provide more entertainment if they are wanting to keep fans in the seats..

Right now 3-4. I have been avoiding the COVID virus but now I have a serious case of Cal fatigue.

I'm 41 years old so I was around for the good ole, 80's , 90's teams and when Cal took over so my interest level has always been a 10. As I get older and the way Cal approaches the game my interest level has hit a 2 . I will always love the Cats but my interest just isn't what it used to be!

Reactions: WayneDougan
I think with the Covid virus going on this past year it’s took the interest level away from lots of us. Mine interest level is maybe 5

10 until the Wisconsin game (the after effect of that choke job continues on)

5 with the Fox team

1-2 now

Emotion totally removed from equation

For the last 5 years Cal has worn me out with his words/methods

Program is a quasi NBA farm team
I believe that's why my interest has dropped from a 15 to about a 3 today. Years ago i would call in to work just to watch us play some mid-major on TV. As of the past few years, half the time i forget that we even have a game coming up. Granted, Covid has made the games boring. Especially with no fans at the game.

It's no longer UK first. Now it's all about how many players a year can Cal get to the NBA. The University has taken a backseat to his farm league. We also don't even get to enjoy watching players develop over the years and actually have SENIOR DAY. Most of the emotion and connection to the team for me is gone. The constant roster turnover is running it's course with me.

Then again, maybe i'm just getting older and beginning to realize that sports aren't very important in the grand scheme of things.

Reactions: awf and UK90
If you’re reading and posting on a UK basketball message board, your score can not be any lower than a 6.

Thank you for your service. I was in the Air Force and was a crew chief on C-130's was all over Viet-Nam my self. I was in from 1964-1968.

Thank you for keeping "Old Hercules" in the air, and for your service to our GREAT COUNTRY. Some of my students flew them, and they loved them. I loved the ones that were a little faster and I could "Dog-fight,' with them.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

If you’re reading and posting on a UK basketball message board, your score can not be any lower than a 6.
Why? We can still be interested enough to chat with fellow fans. Just because I don't want to watch the same shitty basketball does not mean I don't care.

I'm a 1 and done. After nearly 60 years of being 10+++++.

It is painful to watch this AAU/G league basketball that Cal has forced on the fans.
I don't think we can put ALL the blame on Cal. He's working with the system the nba has forced on the NCAA. Combine this with the sports center mentality and the aau mentality of the kids coming up in high school, along with all of their crew and family telling them they're the next MJ or AD and you have a perfect storm.

ADVERTISEMENT