ADVERTISEMENT

On a 1 thru 10 scale. What’s your interest level in UK basketball now, compared to 5/10/15/20 years ago?

I have followed UK for most of my 81 years. I traveled all over the hills of Wolfe County with my Grandpa, listening to the Cats on an old radio, when he was fox hunting. He loved the Cats. I moved back here from Seattle, Washington so my children would go to UK. My three grandchildren graduated from UK, and one is in Medical School there at the present, and another one will start Medical School there in August. I use to live and die with the BIG BLUE. I still love UK, and I watch them on TV, but I quit attending the basketball games 4 or 5 years ago. It got where the players changed so often, I couldn't tell "Who's on First." After reading Cal's book, It's all about the players, I quit being a Cal fan. I don't think his approach is good for college basketball. Do I want him gone, I really don't care. If we get a coach who puts the program First, then I will start attending the games again. I never miss the football games, and usually attend the NCAA Tournament. I know a lot on here think Cal walks on water, and that's their choice. I believe at least two teams have won two NC's since Cal has been here, with players who were not as talented as what he had. I would much prefer to see him recruit players who would stay at least three years, and play team ball. Our Number 1 recruiting classes has not brought us many NCs in the last 10 years. In fact, it hasn't brought us a Final Four in the last 5 years. I would love to see what he could do with players that Bennett gets, or other coaches who don't get all 5 STARS.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!
It's evolved where we have athletes instead of basketball players. That will only work for a system like Pitino ran but not in the current one. You have to hit shots and can't rely on sheer athleticism to win games.

81 years!!! Forget UK basketball for a second. I hope you are in good health and that you and your family are doing well. Especially with you know what affecting so many. Be well, Sir(Willevic)!!!

Thanks very much! Those are KIND words and I appreciate them very much. I am in excellent health. I still run 3 miles a day, 4 days a week, just not as fast as I use to. My wife is 78, and still plays tennis 4 days a week. When I retired 26 years ago as a Captain with Northwest Airlines, I weighed 181. Today I weigh 184. We have really "Hunkered" down with the Covid. I spent most of the time hunting. Thanks again!

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

7/8

Will probably never be 10 again which it was for 60 years or so. Some of that is just maturation.

Gone are the days when I will drive 1100 miles to just catch a game on TV. And no long distance anymore but if there was would never call home and have them put the radio up to the phone in order to listen to a big game.

Thanks very much! Those are KIND words and I appreciate them very much. I am in excellent health. I still run 3 miles a day, 4 days a week, just not as fast as I use to. My wife is 78, and still plays tennis 4 days a week. When I retired 26 years ago as a Captain with Northwest Airlines, I weighed 181. Today I weigh 184. We have really "Hunkered" down with the Covid. I spent most of the time hunting. Thanks again!

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

That's awesome news. Happy to hear about the wife too. Hopefully you've gotten some good eating out of some of that hunting.

Reactions: RunninRichie
7/8

Will probably never be 10 again which it was for 60 years or so. Some of that is just maturation.

Gone are the days when I will drive 1100 miles to just catch a game on TV. And no long distance anymore but if there was would never call home and have them put the radio up to the phone in order to listen to a big game.
I was working in San Juan, Puerto Rico and that happened to me, I called in and listened. During the Duke-UK NCAA game in 1998, my son was studying in London, England and called me for a score. It was halftime and we stayed on the phone until the final buzzer.

That is what we did when I was at a 10. Not today

Had always been a 10. Today, honestly, I would say 7, at the best. I still watch every game but it just doesn't hold the same level of intensity. Last night's game was an example of extremely poor basketball by both teams. I was actually getting bored with the futility of both teams. What has happened to college basketball, in general?

Reactions: Phil_The_Music
Wasn't really old enough 20 years ago.
15 years ago, getting into it once I started college
10 years ago, peaked. Obsessed. Cleared schedules to watch games.
5 years ago.. after the Wisconsin loss, def faded a bit.
Now? Faded more, but I mostly attribute that getting older.

Personally, a player staying 1 year or 4 doesn't matter much to me. Maybe a little. Its more so that we have NO one coming back lately, and the 1ADs we do have aren't as good

I never understood people who scoff at the KATs and Walls, simply because they only played one year. "Oh I can't get into it unless they give me 13 months of basketball". Lol.

Ah, it makes sense now. You weren't around to see Kentucky of the 90's.

I see exactly what our disconnect is.

Complicated history. I went to Louisville in the 70s, and was a huge Cardinal fan. My Dad was a big UK fan. Can you see some issues here? But after the Dream Game and UK probation era I mellowed a bit. And one way I stayed connected with my Dad was going home and watching the Cats with him starting basically when Pitino arrived. UK was fun to watch then, right from the beginning. My interest level hit 11. I still loved my Cards, but through the connection with my Dad I became a huge follower of the Cats as well. Was a frequent poster on here. That lasted all the way through the Tubby years. I lost my Dad in '07. Between losing that connection and the debacle of Gillispie, I began to lose interest. Now when Calipari arrived, I stoked back up, but it didn't last. It just wasn't as much fun with all the turnover in the new one-and-done years

Now, I don't blame Calipari for that. He was just doing what was successful in the times that were/are. But frankly it's not nearly as much fun as it was when you watched players develop over 3-4 years. Most years recently, I couldn't even tell you who was on the team. My interest has fallen to pretty much 0, and that includes all college basketball, Cats, Cards and everyone else.

And I have mixed emotions about that. Yes, I miss the years when players stayed four years because they had to. But I also recognize that that was one step from indentured servitude - the colleges were getting rich off athletes, far to many of whom got nothing out of it, not even the education that was promised and only a fraction could go on to play for pay.

I will still watch the Cats and root them on when I happen to catch them, but I no longer carve out time on purpose.

I suppose I just moved on in my life. Which makes me a bit sad, but I have new sporting passions, as a participant - sort of - instead of spectator, serving as "crew chief", training assistant, jump builder and groom for my wife, who's big into Eventing (think triathlon for horse and rider).

Reactions: Cat4life03
I’m 53 years old and have been a fan my entire life. I, like others, have rearranged work schedules and events to be sure to be in front of the television for every game. I no longer do that now...partly due to my kids activities and just getting older. Another part of me has lost interest at different times of my life (Sutton won a lot, but was boring, Tubby started his career well—but lost me with his inability to keep the program at a high level, Gillispie...well I think we all remember that debacle). The only coach that ever kept me at a 10 was Pitino. I know that name is dirt around here now, but he could flat out coach. He brought us back from a very dark time, and coached a very exciting style that always kept me eager for the next game. Cal, in my opinion, will never be able to win consistently without the best of the best talent out of high school. He is just not a good in-game coach. I know people defend him against this statement, but I believe ‘he does just roll the ball out’ and expects to out athletic our opponents. We look lost on offense year in and year out. If we could continue to get the talent and Cal would swallow some pride and hire an offensive mastermind we would increase our chances of winning and be a lot more fun to watch.

I was at around a 15 since I was the age of 7. Since 2016, Its dropped to around a 3. I don’t even get upset when we lose anymore. UK basketball just doesn’t feel like UK basketball. Apathy has set in for me. It breaks my heart because UK basketball was such a big part of my life. Watching the games with my grandpa growing up are some of my favorite memories.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!
How did you get your start as a pilot?

been a fan since the 60's. My dad would do the supper dishes or wash the kitchen floor while listing to Cawood. Damn those were some good times. I remember my dad talking about Rupp's being interviewed after a blowout against LSU. Rupps said he was about to give the gym keys to the boys and tell em to be sure and cut off the lights. My sons first game was "THE" Duke game. he cried after the loss but was totally hooked. He watched all the Pinto years and kept stats every game. We set the schedule according to the games as well. I would have never in my life believed my ole man would give up on UK basketball, he not only has, but has become a diehard UL fan. My son just gave it up all together after 2015. I was a 10 most of my life, especially during the Hall and RP years. But honestly i was never a cal fan. He WAS a great recruiter early on but he's never been a good xo's coach. Never could understand how he kept beating Rick? But lets face it, those first few years anyone of us could have coached those teams with all the talent they had. I saw in 2013 what ppl are just seeing now. Cal has killed UK basketball. It could be revived but Cal needs to go and a Mark Few type come along. Hell, id take Rick back at this point. I have 25 years of Cat Paws magazines but told my wife to stop getting it 5 years ago. I'm about a 3 now.

Reactions: ukalum1988
Enjoy watching the games as I have always enjoyed UK basketball and probably always will. Was a 10 through the hall and pitino days and even through half of tubbys tenure. During tubbys last several years I still watched but grew apathetic towards losses which carried over into the BG couple of years. Cal brought back the enthusiasm and I was back to a 10 except 2013 which I just never got excited about that team at all. For the better part of last 5 years I find myself once again apathetic to losses. I watch but rarely get pissed during a game. Watching Richmond game last Sunday I felt absolutely nothing watching them lose mainly because I had never seen one of them ever play a game at all. Overall probably a 3-4 perhaps but only because been a big uk fan my whole life. One and done has ruined my beloved game as a whole though and decimated my favorite program even more. I’m torn with cal, love him, wanted him here for a long time, love the talent he brings but I hate the way he coaches more and more each season. His teams are becoming damn near unwatchable for 2/3’s of the season abs that’s just no fun.

Reactions: CalipariCapo
I was at an 8 until 7 or 8 years ago. Now probably a 4 or 5. As I said in another thread, it really has little to do with the product on the floor and more to do with me simply having many categories of things that are way higher in priority to me. I think our culture in general has recognized sports are sports and what really matters takes precedence.

My first memory was Vernon Hatton hitting the 35 footer as time expired to beat Temple for the title.
Was always a 10, but lately I don’t like what Cal is doing. I missed the Kansas game. Didnt know it was on. I’m bout a 3.

I just look in here to see what everybody on here is thinking. I'm a 45 year fan. I know people who have been hardcore fans for over a half century. People don't choose to lose interest. People lose interest simply because it's no longer interesting.

The program needs to be rebuilt. The one and done strategy needs to go away.

In the 1980s and 1990s, the interest level was a 10. I loved Kentucky basketball and I loved college basketball in general. The game was absolutely fantastic and it was fun to watch. It was incredible to have superstar level players often stick around for 3 or even 4 years. There was continuity. The game seemed like a big deal because it was being played by elite talent that was also experienced.

I noticed a big decline in the quality of the game starting in the early to mid 2000's. More and more players were leaving early for the NBA. Then we started even seeing kids going to the NBA straight from high school. The talent level went down. The quality of the game likewise went down. But I still watched and loved my Cats, though my interest level during this period probably dropped to around an 8.

For the past 4 or 5 years, my interest level has fallen to about a 2 or 3. I'm just no longer that interested in UK basketball, much less college basketball in general. Today's game is horrible. I would actually describe it as unwatchable. What was once a game of excitement and beauty now bores me to tears. Between the constant turnover of rosters, the lack of experienced talent and whistles blowing every few seconds, it just isn't fun. And Kentucky basketball specifically is just a shell of what it once was. There is zero continuity. Every year is a repeat of the last. We have to start all over again. Though we have what would ultimately be some very talented kids, we never get to see them play to that level of potential because they are long gone by the time they develop and gain the level of experienced needed to be competent and productive college basketball players. We are in a perpetual cycle of struggling with a whole new team each year. And because we are always so incredibly young, we always struggle tremendously early in the year and because of the lack of experience and holes in the team created by unexpected early departures of kids who shouldn't be leaving, we are never really a legit threat to win a title. Kentucky basketball just isn't fun or interesting anymore. It is a watered down product and no longer seems like the big deal it once was because it is now nothing more than a one year stopover for kids waiting for the chance to play professionally.

Folks, college basketball is dead. And I just don't see it coming back. Many of the non-revenue college sports are more interesting and compelling than modern college basketball. I detest what college basketball has become. So why do I want to waste my time worrying about something that no longer holds any meaning to me? And frankly, I don't see the situation changing. It is all about the money. And the NBA has possession of the purse. I'd rather watch Pee Wee League football than this crap.

Last edited:
Zero. I come to this board out of habit only and like to look at topics in the Paddock that interest me. Before we have any wise asses saying “oh how’d you see this?”
My son, who is 18, comes here to read threads and asked me what mine was. I told him I’m 100% comfortable in my decision to never watch sports again.

And the reason I’m posting this is because it isn’t just me. Probably 75% of my friends and family have little to no interest anymore.

2.5 I don’t know any of em. I have no idea what our schedule is this year. I have a new grandson and he gets all my attention. Things that I used to think were important now fall by the wayside. Life to me is about being kind to others and living by the Golden Rule. Any sport pales in comparison.

Reactions: UK90 and cathouse
I used to lose sleep before big games. Especially Joe B Hall v Knight. Went to the end of season barnstorming games every year. When Cal was hired and brought his recruits with him, I was a 10. After we lost to Wisconsin I lost faith in his coaching abilities (not to mention the stall ball in the finals). He choked away an opportunity at Memphis and I thought he wasn’t willing to change. He no longer gets the elite recruits, gets top ranked classes sometimes by getting kids to reclassify, and doesn’t seem to have a fire burning anymore. Lifetime contract is a joke. He doesn’t have the pressure to perform to UK standards. He is complacent. I forgot they were playing Kansas (thankfully) until I saw the score the following day. Put me down as a 1.

I was a 10 a week ago.. now im a 1... Im going to for a while just read and follow the game threads and not watch the games. the higher expectations you have, the worse it hurts and angers you when they are major disappointments... so its not worth the emotional roller coaster of watching live for a while.

10 every year, as it should be. Pull for these guys no matter what.

I have every Cats Pause Kentucky basketball yearbook starting from the 1987-1988 season (I always intended to go back and add the previous yearbooks to my collection) proudly displayed in my office desk bookcase. I’d have to look but I think the last one I bought now was in 2017-2018. I don’t really care to get them anymore.

I used to be sure I knew the day they were being released and I’d have my order placed. I don’t even think about getting it anymore. I won’t put a number on my level of interest but you can take that anecdotal evidence for what it’s worth.

At the end of the day, we all still care. We’re posting on a message board about it for ****’s sake. The day I totally lose interest, you just won’t see me here anymore.

Reactions: UK90
When I was younger I would get physicaly sick if UK lost......wouldn't miss a game for nothing......when we lived in NC, I would drive 20 mile so I could catch WHAS/Caywood game.....only place I found down there to get the radio signals......now I record the games.......haven't watched a whole game in several years.......it isn't Cal and the boys it is college basketball in general........schools cheat, reffs are either superbly bad or cheating.........my wife says I fanally grew up and out of basketball..........

There was a time when I adjusted my schedule around UK games. I would miss family events due a game when the Cats were playing.
my wife knew not to invite the grandkids over during a game.
I lived to watch UK play.
My basement is a UK shrine. Lots of “ one of a kind” stuff. Many items in my basement are listed on my insurance policy and have specific instructions to my two daughters not to sell when the hood Lord calls me home.
I remember the game I took my granddaughter to and she asked me why I did not like Coach Cal.
I told her I liked our coach just not our environment.
I had her look around at all the banners and explained to her that was who we were. I told her with the way things are now we will only hang championship banners and our player legacy will die.
That is how I see UK today. My basement reflects this as well.
I have a autographed picture of the 2012 Championship team jerseys but really, do these guys give a damn about UK?
UK is now a training ground for the NBA draft.
As a business owner who has to cover when someone is a no show, I fully respect the job Coach Cal has to do with new players every year.
As a fan, I hate having to learn new kids every year and miss seeing a Scott Padgett grow from a KY bred kid to a UK star.
Not sure what I would call the level of enthusiasm but it no where it used to be.
It is that enthusiasm that made UK fan base known around the country.
That is all due to our environment of the program.

Use to live for game day so I was a 10. Now I DVR the game and might watch next day, might not so 2 or 3 now at best. If I wanted to watch athletic kids trying to learn how to play basketball I be watching G/ Developmental League games.

Reactions: awf and Sawnee Cat
Wow, I thought I was in the minority. Apparently not, seems the clear majority of the fanbase has lost interest. The program has a major problem.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
Never thought I would think UK football would even compare to basketball. Football has closed the gap on basketball.
Basketball was 10+....now 6+
Football was 3...now 5+
Cal. should have pressed Wisconsin full court We played 10-11 players that year. All downhill from there! Even still I can't think of a coach out there now, that would better here at UK.

I used to say my favorite college team was the UK FB team, and my favorite pro team was the UK BB team.

I used to clear my schedule and even schedule family events around games. I used to keep stats during games and would break down game film for hours between games. I kept up w the recruits, even kept detailed spreadsheets of recruits, stats and records. I was a 10+

Now, I do not even know the schedule and do not care to look. I want to care, that is one reason why im here, but i just dont. So Im a 1 now.
I can totally relate to this. I'm here because I want the UK program to be the gold standard again, but I'm not watching the games anymore at this point unless I have nothing else that I want to do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT