ADVERTISEMENT

Officiating - the pendulum has swung

bigbluelou

All-SEC
Apr 13, 2011
Seems to me the refs this year are really letting a lot of things go that they used to call (see UT last night and KU all the time). We used to complain about too many fouls being called, and now the pendulum has swung in the opposite direction (imo). I haven't taken the time to look it up, but I'd be willing to bet that the number of fouls called per game has fallen over the past few years.

Regardless, the refs are still inconsistent, favor certain teams, get caught up in home-court environments (except with UK), and just suck in general (and I used to be a high school ref).

Seems to me the refs this year are really letting a lot of things go that they used to call (see UT last night and KU all the time). We used to complain about too many fouls being called, and now the pendulum has swung in the opposite direction (imo). I haven't taken the time to look it up, but I'd be willing to bet that the number of fouls called per game has fallen over the past few years.

Regardless, the refs are still inconsistent, favor certain teams, get caught up in home-court environments (except with UK), and just suck in general (and I used to be a high school ref).

So wishy washy....

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f586a656a446664484f4b4e6b34413d3d2d3534383331353735382e313532353565346239646238353933633930343832313639303635322e676966

I agree. It seems they are letting them play, which I greatly prefer...as long as they call it consistently.

What's maddening is to get a lenient SEC whistle on Tuesday and then Saturday they call touch fouls.

I agree. It seems they are letting them play, which I greatly prefer...as long as they call it consistently.

What's maddening is to get a lenient SEC whistle on Tuesday and then Saturday they call touch fouls.
I remember SEC games in years past where we'd routinely get whistled for 25-30 (or more) fouls. No game flow whatsoever, just an endless parade of whistles and free throws. Drove me effing nuts!

Your last paragraph sums it up perfectly, especially at conference & tourney time, unfortunately y unarely.

In some games yes, in our games, seems we still get beat in the post and then called for ridiculous shit on our end.

It has been noticeably better. But there’s a long way to go.

They still miss calls. The second half against Florida had some questionable no-calls. The one that sticks out is when Wagner followed a missed layup and the Florida player jumps over his back and basically shoves him to the floor. Gators got a fast break layup on the other end. 4 point swing just like that.

So wishy washy....

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f586a656a446664484f4b4e6b34413d3d2d3534383331353735382e313532353565346239646238353933633930343832313639303635322e676966
Yeah, this is the main issue I have. I don't care about what you decide qualifies as a foul or any other call- traveling, double dribble, palming, and so on. Call it however. BUT call it the same for everyone. And by the way, I wish officials would recognize it's not their job to "even up" the foul calls. Just call whoever is fouling. Some teams foul more than others, so trying to even the foul numbers is foolish.

I somewhat disagree with the consensus on here. I think that officials are the cause for grabbing, holding and hacking being accepted. A foul is a foul. If you continue to foul they should call it. If they consistently call fouls coaches would get tired of finishing games with their scrubs on the floor. I do agree though that if we can’t get fouls called at least be consistent on both ends and throughout the game.

This is probably a very elementary question, but for those in the know, does each conference have its own set or game rules they enforce? That is, do all NCAA governed teams play by the same set of rules but interpret them according to some conference agenda?
Remember how the old Big East games were called a whole lot like an NBA game? No blood, no foul.

One thing that is never called these days is palming or carrying the ball. It's much easier to drive the ball when you don't have to worry about that.

Reactions: bigbluedon
I remember SEC games in years past where we'd routinely get whistled for 25-30 (or more) fouls. No game flow whatsoever, just an endless parade of whistles and free throws….
Especially if Jamie Luckie was officiating! http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statistics/Officials/Jamie_Luckie.html
Yeah, this is the main issue I have. I don't care about what you decide qualifies as a foul or any other call- traveling, double dribble, palming, and so on. Call it however. BUT call it the same for everyone. And by the way, I wish officials would recognize it's not their job to "even up" the foul calls. Just call whoever is fouling. Some teams foul more than others, so trying to even the foul numbers is foolish.
Agree!!! If you’re calling a game fairly, there’s no need to “mirror” calls! But some refs feel it’s “their game” and they can do whatever they want, even if it means “keeping it close” for the “little guy.” In Luckie’s own words ➡️ https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/threads/jamie-luckie-and-kentucky.263353/page-2#post-6804184
Was West Virginia “the little guy” in 2010, or was Kansas State in 2018? Teams don’t need a ref’s help! Teams just need refs to call a game fairly!

Last edited:
One thing that is never called these days is palming or carrying the ball. It's much easier to drive the ball when you don't have to worry about that.
That is one thing I have noticed alot this year. Haven’t seen it called one time. No one can stay in front of a dribbler when they hesitate and then carry the ball to continue the dribble. It’s very noticeable.

Reactions: Johnfarrel

So, you are "wish"y" too...

• Haha
Reactions: IL Wildcat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT