ADVERTISEMENT

Official Steph Curry is GOAT thread

The only thing Curry is at this moment is the NBA's biggest choker. He took that title from Lebron with these last two final's performances.

Stephanie curry is great when the pressure isn't on him like tregular season. How do you manage to lose two games at home all yr and match that in a 6 games finals series. He is a great player but he's not goat. He could never do what lebron did by himself.

Golden state played extremely DUMB basketball the last 3-4 minutes of the game, probably longer than that.
Jacked up too many 3's, and bad shots by the wrong players.

They need a big man in the worst way. Cleveland was physical with them.

Golden State and Steph Curry didn't choke. GS ran into superior athleticism. There's a reason Delly didn't play last night. Only way to stop Curry is with ridiculous athletes.

He sucked for almost the entirity of two finals in a row. He's a choker until proven otherwise. His team was shooting like 45% from the 3 and Cleveland couldn't buy a triple.. You dont lose that game if you're the MVP.

Cleveland is celebrating 2 titles in a row if Irving and Love are healthy last year.

That's a fun game to play.

GS is celebrating two titles in a row if Green doesn't get suspended or Bogut doesn't get hurt leaving Anderson Varejau to flop all over the court like a moron.

The Cavs were just able to take Curry out of his game with their physical play. Playoff basketball is different than the regular season. He's built for finesse. If you have NBA talent playing defense like UL, you can effectively stop the MVP.

6'8" 275 is built for the playoffs.

Curry is an amazing three point shooter, is a great ball handler, and is a good passer. That's it, that's the list. He's not a GOAT, he's not an MVP. That's just the reality of the situation. He was great in the regular season though and definitely deserved that MVP.

It might be time to revive this thread. Steph might go 60-50-90 this season. He makes 30 points look effortless. Stay tuned for more Steph greatness. I hate the Warriors, but you can't deny the GOAT. For those interested, the Greatest Show on Earth will be playing tomorrow night at 10:30. 10 threes for Steph.

Reactions: fatguy87
It might be time to revive this thread. Steph might go 60-50-90 this season. He makes 30 points look effortless. Stay tuned for more Steph greatness. I hate the Warriors, but you can't deny the GOAT. For those interested, the Greatest Show on Earth will be playing tomorrow night at 10:30. 10 threes for Steph.

Very likely the best shooter ever, but it also isn’t the same game it used to be. For better or worse.

Indeed. His shooting efficiency for someone who shoots so many contested long range shots is unreal. Dude's averaging 33 points ppg, with the vast majority coming from way outside, while maintaining a 53 percent three point percentage.

That should only be possible on video games.

Reactions: UKcats1988
Indeed. His shooting efficiency for someone who shoots so many contested long range shots is unreal. Dude's averaging 33 points ppg, with the vast majority coming from way outside, while maintaining a 53 percent three point percentage.

That should only be possible on video games.

i'm really happy for him. just wish he wasnt so smug all the time. also, his wife is unreasonably hot.

Steph is at it again with NINE more threes. He’s over 50% from three this year. 55-50-90 is not out of the question, even while breaking his own record. Might he get 10+ on Friday? The Greatest Hits tour stops in Milwaukee. Watch greatness while he makes Giannis look like a footnote. Steph >> Jordan. Believe.

Steph is at it again with NINE more threes. He’s over 50% from three this year. 55-50-90 is not out of the question, even while breaking his own record. Might he get 10+ on Friday? The Greatest Hits tour stops in Milwaukee. Watch greatness while he makes Giannis look like a footnote. Steph >> Jordan. Believe.

I hate to do this again, but Steph is on a roll, knocking down eight more threes tonight (finished by hitting four straight) in three quarters. He hit 11 threes in the Dallas game. He has hit 8+ threes in his last three road games (would have been 10+ if he played the fourth tonight). All the hype is about James Harden, who shoots 35%. But Steph is far more efficient. Steph Curry will drop 10 threes on New Orleans tomorrow, before dropping 45 total threes on the upcoming five-game road trip. Don't miss this greatness; it will only last another ten years.

I hate to do this again, but Steph is on a roll, knocking down eight more threes tonight (finished by hitting four straight) in three quarters. He hit 11 threes in the Dallas game. He has hit 8+ threes in his last three road games (would have been 10+ if he played the fourth tonight). All the hype is about James Harden, who shoots 35%. But Steph is far more efficient. Steph Curry will drop 10 threes on New Orleans tomorrow, before dropping 45 total threes on the upcoming five-game road trip. Don't miss this greatness; it will only last another ten years.

On 33 shots, 15 threes, and 19 free-throws. Steph might get 70 with those opportunities.

I'm sure Harden would love a few weeks off playing with KD, Green and Klay.

Steph wouldn't survive a single season carrying Harden's load. He barely survived coming out the gate back in 2008.

I'll admit that I think the Warriors are better with Curry than they would be with Harden. But I'd also argue that if you needed a one-man show because your team sucks offensively, you'd rather have Harden than Curry. And overall, Harden is slightly better than Curry. And lakercat is worse than everybody on this thread.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Curry is one of the 5 best players in the NBA today but he is not GOAT. He may arguably be the best offensive player in the league today but he has never made the 1st or 2nd all-defensive team. Curry is also just an average assist man (6.7 assists per game for his career) for a point guard. Lebron, Kobe and Jordan are/were more complete players. They rank above Curry IMO.

Lebron, Kobe and Jordan are/were more complete players. They rank above Curry IMO.

Lebron and Jordan, yes. They are in the discussion for best players ever.

Kobe, on the other hand, was not on the level of those two. Steph’s peak so far has been much, much better than any of Kobe’s best seasons. Kobe just couldn’t shoot as efficiently as all those other guys.

Lebron and Jordan, yes. They are in the discussion for best players ever.

Kobe, on the other hand, was not on the level of those two. Steph’s peak so far has been much, much better than any of Kobe’s best seasons. Kobe just couldn’t shoot as efficiently as all those other guys.

I disagree with you on Curry. Both Kobe and Curry are dominate scorers. Granted that Curry is a much better 3 point shooter (maybe the best ever). However, Kobe got to the line 10 times a game (same as Lebron & Jordan) while Curry only gets about 4 attempts per game. That doesn't show up in Kobe's FG effiency but is an offensive area where Kobe was better than Curry. The big difference in Kobe's favor is on Defense where Kobe was a 9x All NBA Defensive team member. Curry has never been named to the all defensive team (Jordan 10x and Lebron 7x). Jordan and Lebron are in the discussion for GOAT along with old timers like Oscar Robinson and Wilt. Kobe just misses that level but is in front of Curry, IMO.

Last edited:
:eyes:

You do realize that Kobe averaged 35.7 PPG one season. There are 3 other players in the history of the NBA to average 35+PPG in a single season: Wilt (5), Jordan (1), and Rick Barry (1). That's it. That's the list.

Steph's shooting efficiency is just on another level.

Steph's TS% for his career : 62.4
Kobe's in his best season TS% : 58.4

So Steph's career shooting numbers, which includes his worst seasons when he was a rookie, are far and above better than Kobe's.

The comparison gets even more dire for Kobe when you lineup each player's best shooting seasons. Here is the TS% in each of Steph's last three seasons and this current season:

He's in another stratosphere in terms of shooting efficiency compared to Kobe.

Now, why has Kobe had a higher PPG average than Steph? That's because Kobe played more minutes. If you look at points per 36, they are very similar. Here are Kobe's three top points per 36:

Here are Steph's:

30.8*

*season in progress

So per minute played, Steph is averaging more points than Kobe and doing it with much greater shooting efficiency.

However, Kobe got to the line 10 times a game (same as Lebron & Jordan) while Curry only gets about 4 attempts per game. That doesn't show up in Kobe's FG effiency but is an offensive area where Kobe was better than Curry.

That's why you can look at True Shooting Percentage, TS%. It takes both free throws and field goal shooting into account. Steph is still much more efficient at shooting when that's taken into consideration.

That's why you can look at True Shooting Percentage, TS%. It takes both free throws and field goal shooting into account. Steph is still much more efficient at shooting when that's taken into consideration.

It doesn't take defense into account and that is half of the game. Kobe blows Curry out of the water as a defender. I will give you that Curry may be the greatest 3 point shooter ever but there is more to the game than that.

As far as free throws goes, would you rather have the guy that goes to the line and hits 84% of 10 attempts per game (Kobe) or one who hits 90% of his 4 attempts (Curry). 8.4 FTM per game vs. 3.6 FTM. I'll take Kobe's 8.4 all day and your TS% would give it to Curry because of his better FT efficiency. That also doesn't take into consideration which player is putting the other team in more foul trouble.

Last edited:
It doesn't take defense into account and that is half of the game. Kobe blows Curry out of the water as a defender. I will give you that Curry may be the greatest 3 point shooter ever but there is more to the game than that.

As far as free throws goes, would you rather have the guy that goes to the line and hits 84% of 10 attempts per game (Kobe) or one who hits 90% of his 4 attempts (Curry). 8.4 FTM per game vs. 3.6 FTM. I'll take Kobe's 8.4 all day and your TS% would give it to Curry because of his better FT efficiency. That also doesn't take into consideration which player is putting the other team in more foul trouble.

Kobe was actually an elite shooter, but his shot selection was awful. Steph hits a lot of tough shots, but you don't see him jacking up fadeaways over two guys or shooting at the end of shot clocks. Might Steph be the smartest player of all time? Steph will usher in the Cousins era with 9 threes tonight. 9-13.

I don't see how being purely an exceptional shooter, on a team so stacked it leaves you with a plethora of options FOR those 3's, makes you anywhere near the GOAT.

Mentioning Steph's name with Kobe is absurd.

Steph isn't a defender, he's not the heart, he's not the foregone leader, he's not the most clutch right now,. He's maybe the greatest shooter ever whose career was about to get flushed down the toilet if they didn't get him help in GSW.

The greats have won it either by themselves or in multiple situations. The greats were on teams that couldn't survive without them. That's just not Curry, not right now at least.

Reactions: DSmith21
Congrats to Curry for winning the 3pt contest and making a shit ton of 3s in the All Star game.

Hopefully it's not too late to send Valentines to Klay, Dray and KD.

Congrats to Curry for winning the 3pt contest and making a shit ton of 3s in the All Star game.

Hopefully it's not too late to send Valentines to Klay, Dray and KD.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT